• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Complete History and Lore of Westeros - Part I

Complete History and Lore of Westeros - Part II

Complete History and Lore of Westeros - Part III

I'm horrendously lttp on these, but my goodness are they fantastic. Not sure why they're buried as special features on the Blu-Rays; this is easily something they could have edited and aired before or after the seasons. The illustrations, the narration, and the music are all top notch. These are pretty much required viewing for Thrones fans... best watched on a television.
Thanks a bunch, this is perfect to listen to during painting

w088ctT.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Those videos are awesome. I'm aware of a good bit of this stuff from reading the GoT wiki obsessively and rewatching the show, but it really fleshes things out nicely. There's a lot of important events or character backgrounds that are mentioned like once on the show, or just hinted at, and this covers all of that in detail. They should be required viewing for all avid watchers.

Complete History and Lore of Westeros - Part I

Complete History and Lore of Westeros - Part II

Complete History and Lore of Westeros - Part III

I'm horrendously lttp on these, but my goodness are they fantastic. Not sure why they're buried as special features on the Blu-Rays; this is easily something they could have edited and aired before or after the seasons. The illustrations, the narration, and the music are all top notch. These are pretty much required viewing for Thrones fans... best watched on a television.
How spoilerific are they?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
How spoilerific are they?
No spoilers, unless you count a few vague references to the events of seasons one. It's basically just the details of everything leading up to the TV show. It's HBO sanctioned and meant for the viewers to watch, it's even narrated by several of the actors from the perspective of their characters.

No spoilers, unless you count a few vague references to the events of seasons one. It's basically just the details of everything leading up to the TV show. It's HBO sanctioned and meant for the viewers to watch, it's even narrated by several of the actors from the perspective of their characters.

Awesome. Thanks!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

I never knew what the procedure on this is, but say I watch these and then want to discuss something mentioned, are the events leading up to the show ok to discuss from sources like this?

demolitio

Yea, those lore videos are what made me more interested in the mythology of the show and why I'm a fan of the Old Gods.

The GoT iOS game based solely off the show is another good source for more backstory and helped me understand even more about the mythology and that's something I mentioned before that I would have loved to have shared but can't since it's technically not from the show even if it's from HBO. They really go into the prophesies that will become very apparent in the show later on.

There's plenty of sources based off of the shows to learn more about this world and I can't get enough. It's so fascinating and makes it easier to predict what might happen next knowing what has happened in the past.

demolitio

Which GoT iOS game is that? Can't seem to find it.

It's called Game of Thrones Ascent I believe. It's on the app store and Facebook.

It's pretty run of the mill but gives you a lot of great information about the world and puts you into the story as a House of one of the Great Houses (Went Stark of course which is where I found out about a prophesy) and you spectate all the big events as they happen in the show. I'm only in season two right now but they keep updating it to match the latest episode.

It doesn't spoil anything as it only goes along with the show but it does give you a lot of insight that helps you understand the show more.

It's perfect for the off-season where it's a painful wait to get more GOT.

Heshinsi

El Daniel

I just realized that the score was added in by a fan in the versions I watched(I knew that sounded like lotr) and that the links I posted don't have music included.

Here are the Boss Owl edits with music and a better aspect ratio.

Complete History and Lore of Westeros Part 1

Complete History and Lore of Westeros Part 2

Complete History and Lore of Westeros Part 3

I recommend everyone to watch these.

Everything will be much clearer. Doing a rewatch after watching these will be enlighting.

Great thing about this, is that it isn't from a omniscient viewpoint but from different POV's and everyone has a different opinion.

Specifically made for the show so no spoilers whatsoever.

TheContact

Wow thanks for posting this. Over 3 hours of narration...very interesting, too.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I just realized that the score was added in by a fan in the versions I watched(I knew that sounded like lotr) and that the links I posted don't have music included.

Here are the Boss Owl edits with music and a better aspect ratio.

Would these be worthwhile listening to without the video. I have a long commute and wouldn't mind just listening to the audio if I won't miss too much.

Would these be worthwhile listening to without the video. I have a long commute and wouldn't mind just listening to the audio if I won't miss too much.

it's mostly pretty graphics illustrating what is being said, with all actual content in the character monologues. I don't think you'd miss any meaningful information at all.

El Daniel

Yes, but I would go for these, they are without background music:

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's called Game of Thrones Ascent I believe. It's on the app store and Facebook.

Sadly, this is iPad only but I've had a chance to play the Facebook version a bit. Swore fealty to the Honorable House of Stark, of course. No brainer there. I'm not a fan of the wait-a-thon stuff, but it seems fairly deep and it makes good use of the license. Makes me long for a GoT-branded Crusader Kings game.

BraXzy

Bronn is just being Bronn. Too obvious of a choice anyhow. I wanted Jamie as the ultimate "fuck you" to Tywin and Cersei. At least it was brought up during the episode.

I've only just watched the last two episodes, and I'm only up to this post so far when catching up to the thread so apologies if this has been mentioned but..

When Tyrion asked him or hinted and Jamie looked like he had bad news, my heart sunk and I thought that somehow Cersei had forced him to be her Champion and in doing so, making Tyrions only option to live having his brother killed.

The actual outcome was so god damn awesome. One of my favourite scenes in the show, the quite moments when characters open up (and can act) really are fantastic.

sangreal

Sadly, this is iPad only but I've had a chance to play the Facebook version a bit. Swore fealty to the Honorable House of Stark, of course. No brainer there. I'm not a fan of the wait-a-thon stuff, but it seems fairly deep and it makes good use of the license. Makes me long for a GoT-branded Crusader Kings game.

there is a GoT Crusader Kings mod which is supposed to be pretty good. I've stayed away since it is based on the books though

Monocle

Absolutely every single person in a position of power, whether it be Joffrey, Ned, Tywin, Robb, Dany, or whoever else, is coming from a place of entitlement and ego. That is the nature of kings, queens, and rulers. They are fundamentally incapable of fully appreciating and empathising from the perspective of a commoner because of their entitled "right" to power and royalty. Even "good guys" like Ned and Robb still have moments where they demand people kiss their arse, bend the right leg, and generally make it known that they, in all their righteousness, call the shots. Tyrion could very well be the only person who bridges the gap, or at least comes closest to.

Dany watching her brother get smelted is hardly Joffrey level sociopath. He was a gigantic cunt, a threat to her, her well being, her power, her relationship, and the Targaryen empire as a whole. He was a fucking idiot blinded by entitlement at least no different to her own, almost always far worse, coming from the position of someone who simply hadn't endured quite as much as she had, at least so recently.

Ultimately though Dany is supposed to have flaws, I feel, just like everyone else. Ned was flawed too, despite being the clear protagonist/hero of the first season. He was foolishly bound to a shallow perception of laws and rules and order and was willing to cut off a head without a trial, without discussion, because thems the rules that daddy's daddy's dad (and so on) upheld. He was too simple and honourable to play the politics game at Kings Landing. Robb let a similarly childish view of honour and justice overrule sensibility in war time when he knocked off Karstark's head and then tried to undo his insult to the Walders as if it were no big deal, despite his wiser, more experienced mother telling him on both occasions not to fucking do it.

Dany's fault, so far, is that she really is an exceptionally inexperienced and fairly terrible Queen. She's been city hopping freeing slaves and winning people over with honour and nobility and empathy yet has done sweet shit all to actually lead a civilization. She hasn't had to rule, enact laws, deal with fairness and rights, because everything so far in her journey has been fairly black and white. I feel this is why her story arc is where it's at: she now is faced with the realities of life, of being a Queen, and evidently is not very good at it. She's exposing her empathetic flaws, hence why the likes of Jorah are advising her otherwise.
Great post, I think you're right on the money. Especially regarding Dany, whose inexperience is probably her defining trait at the moment.

BraXzy

Oberyn's reddit AMA is a fun read (No spoilers)

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/26gtvt/i_am_actor_pedro_pascal_i_play_oberyn_in_game_of/

Can't believe that the last episode (Prison scene) is his first day on the set as a GoT cast. :O

Wow, the brilliant scene in the prison cell was done on his first day!

I think that my first day onset was actually a pretty big scene, this was my scene in Tyrion's cell with Peter Dinklage, and it's a beautifully written scene but it was really important to me to get it right. And I was really nervous. And it turned out not to be a difficult scene to shoot because Peter was so amazing to work with and he's such a generous actor. And our director Alik Sakharov, he was the director of that episode, and he's one of the best directors I've ever worked with, so that and the amazing writing turned it into (to this day) one of the best workdays I've ever had.

Mr.Mike

I think Oberyn's role in this series isn't done yet. Somebody needs to show use Dorne, especially since it seems like it's gonna start to be an important chess piece soon.

I'd also like Tyrion to live. As far as I recall he's the only one who's every actually though about governing ( I recall him talking about building a sewer system in Casterly Rock) instead of just getting power.

Showaddy

I'd also like Tyrion to live. As far as I recall he's the only one who's every actually though about governing ( I recall him talking about building a sewer system in Casterly Rock) instead of just getting power.

I'm pretty sure being put in charge of the sewers and plumbing was a massive fuck you from Tywin.

Heshinsi

I can't believe it's been two weeks. Time flew by wow. Putting my money on the Prince of Badass. Everyone knows brains > brawns carries the day.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm pretty sure being put in charge of the sewers and plumbing was a massive fuck you from Tywin.

It was, but he still did a damn good job. Tyrion is the only one with the brains to run that place. Bronn needs to become king and have Tyrion as his hand.

Akim

Banned
I believe in Oberyn. Isn't the guy known for being an excellent fighter?

gif

Also, I don't want tyrion to die right now. It would really suck, he's the "good guy" now. And we always need a good guy in GOT.

if that is from the preview, it isn't allowed in this thread FYI (unless spoiler tagged)

Rich!

I bet Oberyn dies a horrible death

because, well - this is GRRM, and we know what happens to likeable characters. Whether that means the death of Tyrion or not, I dunno. I just don't see anyone taking down the Mountain.

Actually, if the Mountain loses, that would be awesome. Tyrion and Oberyn on the run together, aw yiss

I'm guessing the Mountain has to live because there must be a huge duel between him and the Hound to resolve all their issues, so I'm betting on the Mountain to win or an interruption that causes both to live.

Philippo

No way that Oberyn dies, he clearly still has a much bigger role in the Game, and we know he is used to fight with poisoned weapons, also his varied fightstyle should help with a gigantic enemy like the Mountain.
So either he wins or he loses, but with a deus ex machina of some sort that keeps him alive, i hope it's not the latter because it would be disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom