• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

Or maybe it is time we bowed to the One True King of Seven Kingdoms, the Rightful Heir to the Iron Throne, Ser Stannis The Mannis.

tumblr_n3tbzx9eKC1s8iuy1o1_400.gif

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
If Oberyn and Tyrion die, who do we root for in Westeros? Jaime, ehh no. Dude's in the grey zone for me. He loves his brother which is cool, but he also loves his sister, even on top of the corpse of his illegitimate children with her. Jon Snoo is too caught up with the Wall to have any say in the affairs of men. Bronn sold out. Maybe GRRM will introduce another ruggedly handsome badass, only to have his balls smashed and his heart ripped out.

Or maybe it is time we bowed to the One True King of Seven Kingdoms, the Rightful Heir to the Iron Throne, Ser Stannis The Mannis.

Ahlan wa sahlan habibi. There is always a place in her majesty's company for men like yourself. Don't be misguided. Come and sit here with me in the shade of her majesty's throne :)

Besides Sansa working that dress, Daenerys sending a bitch back home was a strong moment for me. The stare she gave him when she found out had me legit shook. I thought she was going to order for his head the way she got off that chair. She didn't even look at him once while he spoke. That was a highlight that kind of got overshadowed by this guy's death.

Also, are the unsolid (Sp?) men castrated? I didn't get if they were talking about that or circumcision?

Busaiku

At least with the Red Wedding and Ned's death, they couldn't really have done anything but fall prey to their naivety.
With Oberyn though, he knew exactly what he was in for, but still killed himself and Tyrion due to his stupidity.

Ugh.

I think the thing that makes this super dull for me is that GoT is so overwhelmingly and consistently negative, that whenever the "good guys" get positioned to have a triumphant moment, you can COUNT on the show to fuck them over.

Season 1 through 2 this was shocking and subversive. Now it just makes these big climatic moments boring. The second Oberyn agreed to be the champion so that he could avenge his sister I knew he was fucked.

Yup, when you do the same thing over and over, it becomes a gimmick. Honestly, i think it's shitty writing. I am not saying the good guys should win all the time. But when the bad guys win, it shouldn't be an ass-pull done for the sole purpose of trolling the audience. That's just as hackneyed as having the good guys win regardless of the circumstances. Ned Stark's death made sense. Robb Stark's death required him to carry the idiot ball in a way that was pretty out of character, but it still made sense given the circumstances. Oberyn's death makes no sense. He was winning the fight handily and he inflicted mortal wounds on the Mountain. Gregor's got a goddamn sucking chest wound, but he still has the strength to crush a man's skull with his bare hands? Bullshit. This was like George Foreman beating Mohamed Ali in the last round by punching him in the nuts. George Martin has replaced the Deus Ex Machina with the Diablos Ex Machina.

If Oberyn and Tyrion die, who do we root for in Westeros? Jaime, ehh no. Dude's in the grey zone for me. He loves his brother which is cool, but he also loves his sister, even on top of the corpse of his illegitimate children with her. Jon Snoo is too caught up with the Wall to have any say in the affairs of men. Bronn sold out. Maybe GRRM will introduce another ruggedly handsome badass, only to have his balls smashed and his heart ripped out.

Theon Greyjoy's Path to Redemption

Because that's...totally still going to happen....I'm not losing hope or anything...

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Still only leaves like 5 "real" bad guys, 4 if you take Jaime away (unless I'm counting wrong)

There's tons more good guys, makes sense that there'd be more good guy deaths right?

Sure. I agree. I imagine soon the Wilding's Mons Raider guy or whatever his name too will step up the ranks.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
If I had to guess as to what happens, I'm guessing Jaimie saves Tyrion somehow and Tyrion survives the season. I don't see Tyrion dying. They wouldn't just kill off a good character like that.........they just wouldn't!

So does anyone have an idea why Arya lost her shit there?

At first I assumed it was because of all that traveling for nothing. Now that I think about it, she probably just broke down because every time she's headed to see family, they're dead by the time she gets to them.

Ned Stark
Rob and her mother
Her aunt whom she's never even met.

KHarvey16

At first I assumed it was because of all that traveling for nothing. Now that I think about it, she probably just broke down because every time she's headed to see family, they're dead by the time she gets to them.

Ned Stark
Rob and her mother
Her aunt whom she's never even met.

If that was break-down crying it was not done well. I definitely think she was just laughing her ass off at the Hound.

I kinda figured obryn would lose but wow did I not expect that ending.

I still hate the Boltons but I think that GRRM has backed himself into a corner here, if he kills off Jon snow or has the watch lose the wall than the Boltons and everything north is going to be slaughtered so he' has to make a trade here.

Honestly at this point I'm actually rooting for the white walkers since, once they breach the wall, none of the people I hate are going to stand a chance.

hydruxo

Yup, when you do the same thing over and over, it becomes a gimmick. Honestly, i think it's shitty writing. I am not saying the good guys should win all the time. But when the bad guys win, it shouldn't be an ass-pull done for the sole purpose of trolling the audience. That's just as hackneyed as having the good guys win regardless of the circumstances. Ned Stark's death made sense. Robb Stark's death required him to carry the idiot ball in a way that was pretty out of character, but it still made sense given the circumstances. Oberyn's death makes no sense. He was winning the fight handily and he inflicted mortal wounds on the Mountain. Gregor's got a goddamn sucking chest wound, but he still has the strength to crush a man's skull with his bare hands? Bullshit. This was like George Foreman beating Mohamed Ali in the last round by punching him in the nuts. George Martin has replaced the Deus Ex Machina with the Diablos Ex Machina.

Gregor is almost entirely muscle. The guy weighs nearly 500 pounds. He can withstand some major wounds because he's inhumanly strong. You're really underestimating him. Any other man would be dead immediately, but Gregor isn't just a normal dude. It takes ALOT to bring him down for good.

Another season of betrayals cant believe Jorah betrayed Daenerys like I cant believe Bronn, and Shae betrayed Tyrion.
Ramsay is starting to scare me the last thing this evil brick needs is higher status now he is going to take the North. Oh he definitely up there with his father whose deaths need to happen for the fairness of this show.
Ramsay so going to surpass Joffrey with his evil deeds as being most hated. Tyrion just damn his fate seems set looks like he is 1-1 in trial by combat reason I thought he would live his because he survived one before and Oberyn is going to be his champion he had motive. Sansa has finally become likeable hopefully we see less tears and more evolution to her character.

Stat!

Final scene was infuriating. I somewhat expected "a comeback" of sorts but it was so brutal and he was winning. Dammet Oberyn. What a graphic scene. Oberyn's scream, his girlfriend's scream. Freaking hell.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
If that was break-down crying it was not done well. I definitely think she was just laughing her ass off at the Hound.

That's what I think too. He dragged her to the Twins to ransom her to her mother; mother and the Stark host annihilated as soon as they get there. Drags her to the Eyrie to ransom her to her aunt; aunt dies days prior to their arrival. What's he going to do now, sell her to her enemies? lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
Honestly at this point I'm actually rooting for the white walkers since, once they breach the wall, none of the people I hate are going to stand a chance.

This is an unintended outcome of Martin's "let's piss off the reader" by killing off the good guys approach.

This seems strange to me, but because most of you agree, I guess I am on the outside. Arya is still super valuable no matter who is in charge.

I don't disagree, but the Irony that she just died 3 days ago still that has to be the thought that gave Arya laughter. Funny things are not always seen from the most accurate point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom