• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleep? I couldn't sleep. Then at work whenever I thought of it, I would get a heavy feeling in my chest and I would just freeze. It's crazy how much Oberyn's death has affected me :lol

It seriously felt like being punched in the gut, absolutly devistating. Not often this happens because of a TV show/book/comic or whatever.

Nameless

It's not completely impossible. Gregor held him at arms length which would be about 3 feet for a man his size. If he could get his arm cocked back far enough to the side for a cross while holding Oberyn's head in place, which is what he did if I remember correctly, I can totally see it happening, especially given Gregor's mythical strength capabilities.

But I agree with you nonetheless. When it happened the game completely changed.

Yeah it's not impossible at all. It happens every now and again in MMA, in fact.

Fast forward to 2:25

http://youtu.be/FRoTZXOgmgA

Totally plausible that a guy capable of slicing men in half and beheadeding horses with a single blow can do that sorta damage with a clean blow to the face, even from the bottom.

NoTacos

Sleep? I couldn't sleep. Then at work whenever I thought of it, I would get a heavy feeling in my chest and I would just freeze. It's crazy how much Oberyn's death has affected me :lol
Same. I had a Spanish presentation in class this morning and it's all anyone talked about in class. Thank god my professor is an easy grader I was out of it from what I witnessed

ASIS

How 'bout that OP, huh.

Also, Martin just really hates it when I feel happy. This episode was such a massive punch in the dick.

According to Greek Philosophy. Beauty, in it's purest forms, is terror. Obviously terror in itself is not beautiful, but when transformed into a piece of art it becomes something that is mesmerizing, touching, and haunting at the same time. It's these moments that are often held at a high standard by the audience. "Happiness" does not nearly hold the same value (hence the debate of comedy vs. tragedy).

This line of thinking really makes me wonder how twisted we are as people to enjoy seeing the torture of these characters. On one hand I feel like it's completely sick that we enjoy it... On the other hand, I enjoy it as well. Is it really beauty what we're seeing here?

inm8num2

Good grief :( I've not seem such a revered character go like that. I've got a feeling of emptiness inside me, I don't know how to explain it. I'm in shock

It seriously felt like being punched in the gut, absolutly devistating. Not often this happens because of a TV show/book/comic or whatever.

I can't wait until next season, in which something even crueler happens to a character we love, and we say it makes Oberyn's death look like nothing. :p

(not a knowledge-induced spoiler - just a vague hunch given the nature of the show/storytelling).

Protag

Banned
According to Greek Philosophy. Beauty, in it's purest forms, is terror. Obviously terror in itself is not beautiful, but when transformed into a piece of art it becomes something that is mesmerizing, touching, and haunting at the same time. It's these moments that are often held at a high standard by the audience. "Happiness" does not nearly hold the same value (hence the debate of comedy vs. tragedy).

This line of thinking really makes me wonder how twisted we are as people to enjoy seeing the torture of these characters. On one hand I feel like it's completely sick that we enjoy it... On the other hand, I enjoy it as well. Is it really beauty what we're seeing here?

No, its not, its a really liked character getting one of the worst ends possible. Aint no beauty in that, philosopher.

ASIS

No, its not, its a really liked character getting one of the worst ends possible. Aint no beauty in that, philosopher.

Yet the ratings go up and up and up because of deaths like this, what does that say? And I'm not being a philosopher but this really is a line of thinking.

E92 M3

Absolutely, I've rewatched the scene multiple times hoping that the outcome will change. It certainly doesn't help that the actor is so likeable.

Just a quick reminder that there is no book discussion in this thread. If you have a book-related question, please PM one of the volunteers listed in the OP. Thanks.

NoTacos

Yeah it's not impossible at all. It happens every now and again in MMA, in fact.

Fast forward to 2:25

FRoTZXOgmgA

Totally plausible that a guy capable of slicing men in half and beheadeding horses with a single blow can do that sorta damage with a clean blow to the face, even from the bottom.
I think some people underestimate the momentum factor. If you get hit by a car going 35mph it most definitely could be fatal, but you'd still be in one piece, for the most part. Now, try getting hit by a train going 35 mph. Total game changer. You'd turn into spaghetti and meat sauce because of sheer size and weight combined with speed.

First you must admit that even tiny jabs can stun you a bit. Not KO but just a momentary stun. Now add in the weight and speed factor of a mountain of a man who is actually trying to hurt you. Suddenly that tiny powerless jab, even from the ground, hurts like holy hell and you're KO'd into next week
or at least the next scene where he turns your head into meat sauce

Fireflu

I'm glad people in this thread share the feeling of absolute sickness in their gut after the ending... I've never been left so distraught for so long from a tv show. My jaw hit the floor and stayed there for a solid 20 minutes after the credits had rolled.

The Red Wedding was really shocking and horrific but it never felt as sudden and graphic as Oberyns demise. I felt devasted after the Red Wedding but this episode...... absolutely destroyed me! I just feel stupid in hindsight for getting so attached to Oberyn.

All the warning signs were there that he would soon die (had an agenda/objective, hated the bad guys, was witty/charismatic/fun and likeable, wanted honour and justice). Striving for honour and justice in GoT is a complete and utter death wish.
The honourable are ALWAYS screwed over. If you want to win, you gotta play dirty :/

On the plus side, Oberyns brother and family are going to be royally pissed now and they just so happen to have one of Cersei's children. Here's hoping the Martells don't take this lightly...

Nerokis

What made it even worse was Clegane saying that's what he did to Oberyn's sister ._.

I know... :( That was brutal. Talk about pouring salt on the wound. In addition to a confession, Oberyn was also given the revelation that his sister died an even more terrible death than he ever imagined; we ourselves had to contend with that revelation, too, that somehow that whole Elia and the Mountain situation was even worse than it seemed from the outset; the confession sealed the deal that, yeah, Oberyn had every right in the world to be enraged, and yeah, the Mountain deserves to die probably as much as anyone, but yeah, the latter is killing the former in the most brutal fashion possible . . . so on and so on.

We've never seen Elia, but what the Mountain did to her seemed quite real in that moment, seeing as the man who wanted to avenge her was being rewarded with the same treatment. Except in her case, she did nothing to warrant such a death, and before she was given it, she had to witness the death of her children and was also raped. Just...horrible.

And Oberyn had but a few seconds to absorb all this while in a state of complete helplessness and terror. The point that concepts like justice are meaningless in this world couldn't have been better made, honestly. We're little more than beetles.

I'm glad people in this thread share the feeling of absolute sickness in their gut after the ending... I've never been left so distraught for so long from a tv show. My jaw hit the floor and stayed there for a solid 20 minutes after the credits had rolled.

The Red Wedding was really shocking and horrific but it never felt as sudden and graphic as Oberyns demise. I felt devasted after the Red Wedding but this episode...... absolutely destroyed me! I just feel stupid in hindsight for getting so attached to Oberyn.

All the warning signs were there that he would soon die (had an agenda/objective, hated the bad guys, was witty/charismatic/fun and likeable, wanted honour and justice). Striving for honour and justice in GoT is a complete and utter death wish.
The honourable are ALWAYS screwed over. If you want to win, you gotta play dirty :/

On the plus side, Oberyns brother and family are going to be royally pissed now and rthey just so happen to have one of Cersei's children. Here's hoping the Martells don't take this lightly...

God I hope this was the start of the Lannisters demise. Tyrion can die in peace if that happens. At the very least had Cercei die for her sins.

Carbonox

Man I still can't get over the last scenes. I probably won't for quite a while. Never have I legitimately felt a sense of dread for a character as I did during this episode.

I can't think of anyone to root for now who could literally go toe to toe with the 'bad guys'. Dorne best have some other badasses up their sleeves. Seeing them go all METAL GEAR RISING REVENGEANCE would be nice but who are we kidding.

NoTacos

On the plus side, Oberyns brother and family are going to be royally pissed now and they just so happen to have one of Cersei's children. Here's hoping the Martells don't take this lightly...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was Tyrion's doing wasn't it? I keep thinking it had something to do with finding out who was Cersei's spy and he tells each council members a different plan for the girl. Getting sent to Dorne just happened to be the one that leaked first, so he went with it. Amirite?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Royally pissed that their brother volunteered for a deathmatch and lost?

and wasn't Oberyn pretty adamant about Dorne not being like kings-landing when it comes to such barbarisms?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
]I still stand by the idea Jamie was the best all around swordsman in Westoros.[/B] Jamie at Clegane's size would be a true test rather than a savage idiot swinging a sword around hoping to cut down an opponent that is both not scared of him and more skilled.

Also, if Dorne is packing skilled fighters like Oberyn, it's a miracle they haven't dominated yet. The other kingdoms would be set against an army of Gannicus clones *exaggeration, also we all know Ganny wouldn't survive a second with GRRM*

Jamie wouldn't have lasted two sword swings against the Mountain. The only fighting style that had a chance (and quite frankly dominate as shown by Oberyn) against the mountain was one that relied on long range and quick movement. Jamie being a knight, and being taught how to fight like a knight, would naturally be at a disadvantage.

inm8num2

Just a vague hunch? Piss off with this shit. Seriously.

Why is this shit so hard to process for you people? Goddamn

I don't get your response, dude. I don't know anything that happens after what we just saw in the last episode. I have not read in advance or been spoiled. I am in the same boat as anyone else here who is unspoiled.

I made that comment to clarify that I was not spoiling anything in case it sounded like a spoiler, because sometimes people who DO know make those kinds of vague teases. I couldn't spoil if I wanted because I do not know. I was trying to say, "I lack the knowledge in case this vague guess somehow turns out to be true." It was a sarcastic comment in light of the shock we're experiencing from last night, hence the ":p".

Jesus fucking Christ, I thought I was taking the proper precautions and somehow I still get shit for it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't get your response, dude. I don't know anything that happens after what we just saw in the last episode. I have not read in advance or been spoiled.

I made that comment to clarify that I was not spoiling anything in case it sounded like a spoiler, because sometimes people. I couldn't spoil if I wanted because I do not know.

Jesus, I thought I was taking the proper precautions and I somehow made it worse.
Your post seemed crystal clear to me that it was just your own personal speculation. I have no idea why they reacted that way... don't worry about it.

NoTacos

I don't get your response, dude. I don't know anything that happens after what we just saw in the last episode. I have not read in advance or been spoiled. I am in the same boat as anyone else here who is unspoiled.

I made that comment to clarify that I was not spoiling anything in case it sounded like a spoiler, because sometimes people. I couldn't spoil if I wanted because I do not know. I was trying to say, "I lack the knowledge in case this vague guess somehow turns out to be true." It was a sarcastic comment in light of the shock we're experiencing from last night, hence the ":p".

Jesus fucking Christ, I thought I was taking the proper precautions and somehow it still pisses people off.
Lol you're just wording your speculation too confidently which makes it seem like you're trying to spoil it on the down low.

I don't think we can be so sure, this was the 1st time he had ever been within killing distance of the person who raped and killed his sister - we have no point of reference of how his character would act in such a situation. I can say from personal experience when i had a mental snap (while being bullied), my character changed drastically in an instant and i did things i would never do..

Was it stupid?, indeed it was, was it out of character?, we can't be so sure as this was a very unique situation.

He seems to have been in countless battles, no way he wouldnt finish his opponent.

Being in rage would only mean that he would not be able to stop stabbing.

At least thats what my experience says, ive never seen a person (myself included) being angry and stop hitting to ask questions. :)

Slept. Woke up. At work now.

Still got chills from that death scream ;__;

And yes, to hear that your own sister got her head popped into gore as she was being raped as your own head is being squeezed into squilch = TRAUMA CENTRAL

I.... look forward to next week's! :D

inm8num2

Lol you're just wording your speculation too confidently which makes it seem like you're trying to spoil it on the down low.

Is the idea of unexpected or brutal deaths such a hard thing for fans of this show to process, given all that's transpired already?

I wasn't really being confident at all. It was a throwaway comment. "Yea, this sucks, but it seems like the worst shockers always get topped."

Try to make a friendly comment to relate to people who are feeling the same way after last night's episode and get told to "piss off". Great.

And why the hell would I want to spoil anything for anybody, if I actually did know something (WHICH I DON'T)? I'm not a fucking troll.

NoTacos

and wasn't Oberyn pretty adamant about Dorne not being like kings-landing when it comes to such barbarisms?
I thought about this too, but what I the claim isn't the killing of Oberyn but the injustice of the war crimes against house Martell? For ages Oberyn was spouting bold claims that held no water but now the mountain's confession just gave Dorne something to think about. A cover up claim against the ruling house could also be brought into question now

I made that comment to clarify that I was not spoiling anything in case it sounded like a spoiler, because sometimes people who DO know make those kinds of vague teases. I couldn't spoil if I wanted because I do not know. I was trying to say, "I lack the knowledge in case this vague guess somehow turns out to be true." It was a sarcastic comment in light of the shock we're experiencing from last night, hence the ":p".

Jesus fucking Christ, I thought I was taking the proper precautions and somehow I still get shit for it.

I think I understood what you're saying. You seemed to just be commenting on the fact that when something big happens, people act like the last big thing was nothing.

Example: Oh my God, Ned lost his head, I'm shocked!

Red wedding?! Ned was nothing compared to this!

Oberyn died?! Red wedding was nothing compared to this!

Blank just happened?! Oberyn was nothing compared to this.

At least that's how I took it. People need to chill.

inm8num2

I think I understood what you're saying. You seemed to just be commenting on the fact that when something big happens, people act like the last big thing was nothing.

Example: Oh my God, Ned lost his head, I'm shocked!

Red wedding?! New was nothing compared to this!

Oberyn died!! Red wedding was nothing compared to this!

Blank just happened?! Oberyn wqw nothing compared to this.

At least that's how I took it. People need to chill.

Thanks - yes, that's what I meant.

It's reached the point where if you make a guess, people accuse you of spoiling. If you add a clarification that you are unspoiled and are just guessing, they still accuse you of spoiling. Or they take their frustration from the previous episode's events out on someone else by misinterpreting a harmless comment.

Fireflu

Well regardless of Oberyn volunteering and what not they are surely not going to take this lying down. For a person of royalty (a prince no less!) to be butchered in such a grotesque spectacle in front of a gawking audience to enjoy.

Dorne may not be as litigious as Kings Landing but that doesn't mean they will just ignore such a violent act (even if Oberyn willingly put himself on the firing line). I'm sure there will be plenty of men and women in Dorne that are absolutely furious about the trials outcome.

Oberyns lady friend will probably recount the horrific act to the people in Dorne to get them riled up... Well I hope! (just speculating here)

Anyone think that the kid delivering Lord Friendzone's pardon was one of the Warlocks? Watching it again that kid has a collar on, which is out of place in Dany's city.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
He seems to have been in countless battles, no way he wouldnt finish his opponent.

Being in rage would only mean that he would not be able to stop stabbing.

At least thats what my experience says, ive never seen a person (myself included) being angry and stop hitting to ask questions. :)

At first it seems like he keeps his distance, but at the moment where the Mountain trips him, he casually stand right next to him. It looked so freaking forced that I knew exactly at that moment the Mountain was magically going to Undertaker him. The Mountain had a gut wound, a torn to shit achilles heel, and a spear gouge through the chest. Unfucking believable he would have the strength to do what he did. The dude is still flesh and bones, an injury to his achilles like that alone, should put him in blinding pain that would make him pass out. Add all the other injuries and it was the most comically forced execution I have ever seen.

Nameless

Yeah Oberyn's death screams were the worst part about that scene. To see a character we've only seen confident and in control screeching like a dying pig was really jarring and unsettling. That pop followed by Ellaria's own screams was just salt in the cadaver. Fucked up all around.

Thank the gods I hadn't come to love Oberyn as a character. If something like that happened to Arya I'd be done for.

Showaddy

926774_250536588476968_993774861_n.jpg

Not entirely sure why but I find this pic so cathartic after that ending. Really cool.

Yeah Oberyn's death screams were the worst part about that scene. To see a character we've only seen confident and in control screeching like a dying pig was really jarring and unsettling. That pop followed by Ellaria's own screams was just salt in the cadaver. Fucked up all around.

Thank the gods I hadn't come to love Oberyn as a character. If something like that happened to Arya I'd be done for.

Dont tempt fate >__<

Oh man I will be so pissed if anything close to Oberyn's fate happens to Arya >__<

NoTacos

Is the idea of unexpected or brutal deaths such a hard thing for fans of this show to process, given all that's transpired already?

I wasn't really being confident at all. It was a throwaway comment. "Yea, this sucks, but it seems like the worst shockers always get topped."

Try to make a friendly comment to relate to people who are feeling the same way after last night's episode and get told to "piss off". Great.

And why the hell would I want to spoil anything for anybody, if I actually did know something (WHICH I DON'T)? I'm not a fucking troll.
Lol yeah I have no clue. All of my speculations have had a speculation tag on them about not reading the books, for what ever reason the userbase has decided against you.

You will get no justice here, so you must let the GAFGods decide your fate.

I propose a trial by combat.

Nerokis

At first it seems like he keeps his distance, but at the moment where the Mountain trips him, he casually stand right next to him. It looked so freaking forced that I knew exactly at that moment the Mountain was magically going to Undertaker him. The Mountain had a gut wound, a torn to shit achilles heel, and a spear gouge through the chest. Unfucking believable he would have the strength to do what he did. The dude is still flesh and bones, an injury to his achilles like that alone, should put him in blinding pain that would make him pass out. Add all the other injuries and it was the most comically forced execution I have ever seen.

It seems you agree Oberyn was perfectly reasonable in assuming the Mountain was more or less done, so what's so forced about him briefly letting his guard down while standing in his vicinity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom