• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.O.O.M

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I swear I like a character in this show and that character dies...that bloody moron

I have such a love/hate relationship with this show lol But I feel the villains win way too many times...for the shock value. At this point I'm shocked if they lose

Sendero

He's sharpening it, you silly billy.
Hehe. Nah, it's one of those brief scenes that have no reason to have air time unless it means something.

And I was pretty attentive, as was expecting something like that since last episode.
Plus
I just saw the HBO's Behind the episode videos, which pretty much confirms it.

Why are people making such a big deal out of the poison thing.
Just something that was sort of there, suspicious. Not sure if it will have any relevance, unless Oberyn's mistress go berserk and to try to use it to avenge him or something.

Herne

Sendero's post confuses me. Not the contents, but the way the contents are written. Asterisks and bolded names everywhere. Kinda like -

"See Spot run. Run Spot, run."

Anyway... this was more shocking and somehow more tragic than the Red Wedding. I can still hear Oberyn's and then Ellaria's screams. When Clegane knocked him to his feet, I expected him to roll quickly to his right, not allow his opponent, who clearly has life left in him, to get his arms around him.

RoKKeR

Sure, i think he's one of the ones that isn't going to die, at least for a while yet.

Well I thought that about Ned Stark in the first season, haha. I thought he was like THE character of the entire show but nope, off comes the head.

Then Rob. Then (insert list of dead, important characters here)

He's my favorite character so I sure as hell hope he lives but it's not looking good...though I'd be down if GRR threw us a bone.

Erm, I guess Littlefinger is pretty cool?

I actually do like him.

He's my favourite :>

..... but I look forward to his demise. Which hopefully will happen gloriously. Sometime in the future.

Also Ramsay Bolton. I look forward to his comeuppance.

GRRM will give us these, right?????? Like Joff's????? plspls

Sendero

Sendero's post confuses me. Not the contents, but the way the contents are written.
Apologize for that. I try to write as less as possible, but somehow always end up with large walls of text.

Figured it would make things easier, specially for those that hate to read it all.
Guess was wrong =P

Kvik

I take back my statement on how GoT fight choreographers didn't know how to do sword fight properly. This last episode delivers.

The issue with Oberyn wasn't his skill at all (I doubt Ser Barristan would be able to move like him). Drunk on (premature) victory, he wasn't mindful of his surrounding and paid the price dearly. The Mountain is still The Mountain, even when he's flat on his back.

It reminded me of those RPG boss fights, where they had only a hairline of HP left and my main character at half HP bar, I got cocky and didn't quaff a health potion immediately and instead just keep hacking away. Suddenly they crits me and I died. Every fucking time. :-\

Also, no Brienne/Pod this week? I see some interesting setup coming:

• Brienne/Pod going up to The Eyrie, and through the mountain pass, they met with:
  • The Hound/Arya going back after they found out Lysa Arryn is dead. As both parties reaching for their swords, suddenly:
  • Littlefinger/Sansa appears. Arya immediately recognises Sansa! What would they do in this situation, I wonder?

Can't wait for next episode!

guys, ive been advised i was mistaken. jojen isnt a warg. he just have green dreams :>

thanks cornburrito~

i seem to conflate the two's abilities wrongly :3

i still wanna be jaqen :D

NoTacos

I will be inm8num2's champion! I will not stand for the injustice against him/her!
Well, you don't get a username like Joe Prodigy for nothing........ Right??
Well, I guess we know whose going to get a gruesome death...
And who will stand as champion for the userbase? Haven't seen much of him in this thread, but Bishop is hands above all the most revered Ban-Man in all of Neogaforos. His gifs alone speak legend.

Herne

Apologize for that. I try to write as less as possible, but somehow always end up with large walls of text.

Figured it would make things easier, specially for those that hate to read it all.
Guess was wrong =P

No apology necessary, it was just odd to me is all :)

TheContact

I'm forever shocked by that scene. I finished the books last year so I knew it was coming, but god damn man. I remember being shocked reading it, but SEEING it was fucking crazy. Just bummed me out so much since the actor for Oberyn played him so damn well. Man, I can't even go on.

Hey this is the non book reader thread. Check out the spoiler book reader thread. For your own good =)

Carl

Well I thought that about Ned Stark in the first season, haha. I thought he was like THE character of the entire show but nope, off comes the head.

Then Rob. Then (insert list of dead, important characters here)

He's my favorite character so I sure as hell hope he lives but it's not looking good...though I'd be down if GRR threw us a bone.

You thought a character played by Sean Bean would live to see the end of the series!? :p

Blader

Any shot of Tyrion making it out of this? Haha

I think Tyrion has the best chance of surviving the series. He's not really good enough to merit the acts of unjust cruelty or bad enough for the bittersweet comeuppance, and doesn't throw himself into combat much at all. He plays the game well enough to get by, without putting too much of a target on his back (uhh, current death sentence notwithstanding :lol).

RytGear

Martell.png

Got a bit bored so thought that Oberyn should become the new mascot for helmet safety.

Sepp

Banned
He's the strongest man in all of Westeros.

Oberyn's plan does not involve wrestling with him. Listen to how Bronn describes a potential fight. Tiring him out, getting him off his feet, but one misstep..

This guy pretty much does nothing but torture and murder people 24/7.

If he grabs you, especially a slender man without armor, you're dead.

My point is he would not have had a chance to grab Oberyn. If you look closely, you'll see that the scene is "faked". Oberyn falls beside the mountain, then there is a cut and Oberyn's neck lies right on top of the mountain's right hand. But that right hand was not there before the cut.

In any case, its all just too cliché for my taste.

inky

Just something that was sort of there, suspicious. Not sure if it will have any relevance, unless Oberyn's mistress go berserk and to try to use it to avenge him or something.

Well, yes it might be suspicious but I don't really see the relevance either way, at least for that story arc and where it "ended".

If people are expecting some other big chain of events to result from it, well... it kinda feels like a huge stretch to me just because they caught a hint that might not even be one.

BizzyBum

dude I'm still messed up from that. 24 hrs later. it really was traumatizing.

Same here. It's amazing how affected I am by it considering I know it's a god damn TV show.

I think it's just a multitude of reasons on why. The fact he had the fight won and got careless, the way the Mountain confessed right before he killed him (made even more brutal knowing he killed his sister the same way), his fucking haunting screams, or knowing this also means the death of Tyrion.

First the death of Joffrey and now Oberyn, both brutal in their depictions. This is easily my favorite season in GoT so far, and we still have 2 episodes left.

Also, I'm sure this has been pointed out previously, but isn't Oberyn the younger brother of <some important person across the sea>? I remember Tyrion inquiring about him when Oberyn first entered the city on why he came and not his older brother. Once they find out Oberyn's death in King's Landing I'm sure shit is gonna hit the fan, no?

Nameless

Jaime is Tyrion's best hope at this point right? He still has what Tywin wants most, perhaps he can parley that into sparing Tyrion's life per the original deal. The only other options would to be free his brother and trust he wouldn't be punished for treason, or go over Tywin's head and try to convince his son Tommen to grant Tyrion a royal pardon or exile.

A Stannis invasion is possible, but all signs have him sailing north. The Iron Bank is financing him largely due to their lack of confidence in the crown, though. So you'd think they would expect him to handle that first & foremost.

Varys was noticeably absent from proceedings, but he's said many times that he's not a hero. Maybe he makes an exception.

Brofist

My point is he would not have had a chance to grab Oberyn. If you look closely, you'll see that the scene is "faked". Oberyn falls beside the mountain, then there is a cut and Oberyn's neck lies right on top of the mountain's right hand. But that right hand was not there before the cut.

In any case, its all just too cliché for my taste.

Yeah I agree that could have been done better. That cut did seem awkward, happened too quick.

Same here. It's amazing how affected I am by it considering I know it's a god damn TV show.

I think it's just a multitude of reasons on why. The fact he had the fight won and got careless, the way the Mountain confessed right before he killed him (made even more brutal knowing he killed his sister the same way), his fucking haunting screams, or knowing this also means the death of Tyrion.

First the death of Joffrey and now Oberyn, both brutal in their depictions. This is easily my favorite season in GoT so far, and we still have 2 episodes left.

Also, I'm sure this has been pointed out previously, but isn't Oberyn the younger brother of <some important person across the sea>? I remember Tyrion inquiring about him when Oberyn first entered the city on why he came and not his older brother. Once they find out Oberyn's death in King's Landing I'm sure shit is gonna hit the fan, no?

Oberyn is the brother of Doran Martell, the ruler of Dorne.

Jaime is Tyrion's best hope at this point right? He still has what Tywin wants most, perhaps he can parley that into sparing Tyrion's life per the original deal. The only other options would to be free his brother and trust he wouldn't be punished for treason, or go over Tywin's head and try to convince his son Tommen to grant Tyrion a royal pardon or exile.

A Stannis invasion is possible, but all signs have him sailing north. The Iron Bank is financing him largely due to their lack of confidence in the crown, though. So you'd think they would expect him to handle that first & foremost.

Varys was noticeably absent from proceedings, but he's said many times that he's not a hero. Maybe he makes an exception.

Re: Jaime, I think so. But I dont know what he can do at this point short of body-shielding his lil bro with his own life. I hope to see Tyrion out of it somehow though. Im still holding hope on the DRAW card on the fight. Even if Oberyn died first, the result of the match is a draw cuz there is no winner standing at the end???? (plspls)

I just cant... envision this show without the Imp! I refuse!

I miss Varys. Hes been too quiet lately.

terrene

Banned
I'm forever shocked by that scene. I finished the books last year so I knew it was coming, but god damn man.

Seriously, what possesses you people to come to this thread? You have your own. That sentiment will be perfectly related to over there. Be a pal and get outta my safe space, seriously.

Nameless

Re: Jaime, I think so. But I dont know what he can do at this point short of body-shielding his lil bro with his own life. I hope to see Tyrion out of it somehow though. Im still holding hope on the DRAW card on the fight. Even if Oberyn died first, the result of the match is a draw cuz there is no winner standing at the end???? (plspls)

I just cant... envision this show without the Imp! I refuse!

I miss Varys. Hes been too quiet lately.

If the Mountain is dead I could see draw argument but I don't think it'll fly. Any good counsel would argue that the duel was over the second Oberyn's skull cracked and life left his body. That it didn''t matter if Ser Gregor died of his injuries 1 second or 1 month afterwards, the fight was over.

I love Tyrion as much as the next guy, but it would make quite the statement if he's beheaded in the first scene and that's that.

Sendero

Jaime is Tyrion's best hope at this point right?
Since Tyrion already announced the sentence to the whole arena, I assume that legally (heh) only Tommen can give the indult now.

Which sounds improbable, unless there are extraneous circumstances (Dorne men?).
I still do not see Tyrion dying yet. Specially now that (next episode trailer)
the Wall/Castle Black battle is about to start; surely, the dead toll will be high there.

By the way, did the Wilding's Warg actually died? He possessed the eagle before being hit by Jon, so not sure if he did a total mind transfer or something. Brann probably can do that.

If the Mountain is dead I could see draw argument but I don't think it'll fly. Any good counsel would argue that the duel was over the second Oberyn's skull cracked and life left his body. That it didn''t matter if Ser Gregor died of his injuries 1 second or 1 month afterwards, the fight was over.

I love Tyrion as much as the next guy, but it would ve quite the statement if he's beheaded in the first scene and that's that.

:< nooooooooooooo

maybe then jaime can help tyrion flee whilst counsel is finding consensus???

i dont think i can watch best guy in the show getting offed next episode ... it'll destroy the show for me!

Nameless

:< nooooooooooooo

maybe then jaime can help tyrion flee whilst counsel is finding consensus???

i dont think i can watch best guy in the show getting offed next episode ... it'll destroy the show for me!

Best to prepare yourself for the worst. Everyone will die except Gillie and her baby and Grand Maester Pycelle.

nooo i refuse ! i will always hang some hope on some fav characters! even if they gonna get killed :<

i think to follow the show with detachment would be not as fun/ immersive.... you know what i mean???

That was the most disturbing death i have ever seen in a show. I'm just speechless. I could barely keep watching and there's no way in hell i could watch it again...

so damn sickening to finally get the confession as he's screaming like that.. just as the people he's trying to avenge.. My God... I really need some rainbows and unicorns... this is so damn depressing....

I want justice.. but i guess Mr. Martin is speaking through Tryion when he says "If you want justice, you've come to the wrong place"

Honorable mention for Ayra Stark. Loved the response.. what else is there to do but laugh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom