• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol yeah I have no clue. All of my speculations have had a speculation tag on them about not reading the books, for what ever reason the userbase has decided against you.

You will get no justice here, so you must let the GAFGods decide your fate.

I propose a trial by combat.
I will be inm8num2's champion! I will not stand for the injustice against him/her!

Knowing GRRM the last scene will be Arya getting flayed by Warden of the North Ramsay Bolton.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

just... just dont even say that! why would you even say that!!!! ;__;

..... i didnt even want to think about anything close to that image in my head!!!!

GAHHHHHHHH

;__;

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It seems you agree Oberyn was perfectly reasonable in assuming the Mountain was more or less done, so what's so forced about him briefly letting his guard down while standing in his vicinity?

I'm talking about how the second the Prince stands close to him, the Mountain reacts like a WWE rehearsed move. The Prince circles him for a bit before that moment, how does the Mountain know that at that moment he is closest to him? And as I said, I have a hard time believing a man with the injures the Mountain had, would be able to strike out like that. His brother is about to look like an extra on Walking Dead from a stupid bite, and I'm supposed to believe he can do what he did with those injuries? I'm so gutted because of this death man, it hurts.

nomis

Yeah Oberyn's death screams were the worst part about that scene. To see a character we've only seen confident and in control screeching like a dying pig was really jarring and unsettling. That pop followed by Ellaria's own screams was just salt in the cadaver. Fucked up all around.

This this this this this

All pretense of being suave and confident dropped when he's got thumbs in his eyes. This is fucking sadistic.

Fucking hell why am I still thinking about it.

SpaceHorror

At first it seems like he keeps his distance, but at the moment where the Mountain trips him, he casually stand right next to him. It looked so freaking forced that I knew exactly at that moment the Mountain was magically going to Undertaker him. The Mountain had a gut wound, a torn to shit achilles heel, and a spear gouge through the chest. Unfucking believable he would have the strength to do what he did. The dude is still flesh and bones, an injury to his achilles like that alone, should put him in blinding pain that would make him pass out. Add all the other injuries and it was the most comically forced execution I have ever seen.

He is still the Mountain, a freakishly strong monster of a man who stands nearly eight feet tall and is literally well, a mountain of muscle and pure hatred. He's a ruthless killing machine. All of that in mind it just doesn't seem that unbelievable that he could manage to kill Oberyn in his dying moments. If he had stood up and celebrated, yeah, that is too far, but he used every last ounce of his freakish strength to kill a foolishly gloating and overly confident opponent who thought he was down for good. Honestly, I would have been disappointed had the fight not ended like that. I don't want to see a character like Gregor Clegane not live up to his clearly deserved reputation.

So ... wuts the chances that the Mountain still dies from poison coated on the blade he got poked up with?

I mean, wasn't dude mad good with making poisons? Or am I thinking of someone else?

UrokeJoe

Has anyone been tempted to go to the unmarked spoiler side after last night? I know the thought has been in my head. I haven't but...

Wait the mountain died? I didn't even notice. I though he just lay on the ground resting after using all his strength to crush our head shaped dreams.

Really could have done without that. Really.

No decent people in this show live. Jesus Christ. I'm wondering at this point if Martin is just sadist.

JoeBoy101

Not entirely sure why but I find this pic so cathartic after that ending. Really cool.

Me too! For some reason this picture put me much more at peace with the thing.

Winterfang said:
Wait the mountain died? I didn't even notice. I though he just lay on the ground resting after using all his strength to crush our head shaped dreams.

Given his wounds, and the damn near certainty that Oberyn used poison spears, yeah. Maybe not then when he was laying down, but I'm betting him dead by either next episode or the one after.

The Red VIPER. Do not forget.

Especially in this show where the bigger they are *coughKarlDrogocough* the more likely they die from something small they can't combat.

btrboyev

It seems you agree Oberyn was perfectly reasonable in assuming the Mountain was more or less done, so what's so forced about him briefly letting his guard down while standing in his vicinity?

Well for one the way he knocks him down is unbelievable. No way could knock someone down like that with the way it was done..at most it may have put him off balance or push him away. It would have made more sense if they had Oberyn kneel down closer yelling and then have the Mountains fist come up. Also the crippling cut to the Achilles tendon would have had the Mountain screaming and squirming, even after the gut stab.

I would preferred the initial punch knocked Oberyn out cold before the Mountain finished the job so we didn't get the screaming.

mujun

No decent people in this show live. Jesus Christ. I'm wondering at this point if Martin is just sadist.

It does feel that way sometimes. I'm all for manipulation of the sake of a good story but it seems that he lets some bad guys get away with far too much stuff at times.

Heshinsi

I can't believe that beast playing the Mountain is only 23.

I think he's 25 actually.

That's why I want to start the official inauguration of Team White Walkers. Fuck it, nothing left rooting for in Westeros; burn this bitch to the ground.

I think he's 25 actually.

That's why I want to start the official inauguration of Team White Walkers. Fuck it, nothing left rooting for in Westeros; burn this bitch to the ground.

.... i... i can get on board with this :3

also, the actor playing the mountain seems like a really cool, funny, chill dude :) that photo rocks <3

Of course the coolest character had to die. It's one of these moments again where I ask myself if I want to continue watching this show. I only see mostly douchebags left. But then again ... let's delay this decision to next week.
Kinda right there with you to be honest. After the red wedding it was like "Fuck ..." I know a lot of people are like "there's no justice here" and all that shit. I'm just starting to feel like any character who has any good in them is just waiting to die. Like at the end of all this will it just be "all the "good" guys are dead. Haha"?

I would like to see SOMETHING bad happen to Cersi. Fuck that bitch.

Sendero

Arya's laugh couldn't come at a better time.

*Manly Ramsey got his crowing moment! Was totally expecting Roose to mess with him again. The yuxtaposition of him winning the respect of his father vs Theon destroying everything (including himself) for pleasing Balon was a nice touch.

*Poor Jorah. Felt he could have "turned" the interrogatory around and save face, but instead stuttered his way out of Meereen. He did honor the title of Fedora: Always put Danny's on a pedestal, worshiping her at moments, and treating her like daughter when she didn't match his image of honourability.

But ultimately, he never understand her core values (family/group above all, value of friendship - trust) and got sacked.

*Honestly, would like to see that story become about the rise of the ultimate enemy of all: the mother of dragons, destroyer of the world. Danny has now lost her moral compass after all.

If she is smart, could use the moment to give Tywin a false sense of victory, find the leakers and prove Jorah's loyalty in one swoop. But guess she needs to go to the dark side first, if she is meant to become an actual hero later.

*I thought Oberyn would win the battle (and die later). But Tyrion's narration matched too perfectly how some do terrible things to "inferior" beings because it's in their nature, can get away with it and well, just can. Just like the Mountain, and most rich&powerful persons. It did gave insight on how compassionate Tyrion sometime is. Lovely moment with Jaime.

*Gore never faze me, but hearing Oberyn's scream somehow hit the spot. On the other hand characters using Wu shu spear style fighting are always welcome and the choreography did not disappoint. The angle used during the skull crushing really made The Mountain's face quite terrifying. Quite satisfying.

Now I want a GoT fighting game.
2d6a7d80e32552a1875e903d59c88d57-game-of-thrones-fighting-game-daenerys-vs-robert.jpg

Heshinsi

Kinda right there with you to be honest. After the red wedding it was like "Fuck ..." I know a lot of people are like "there's no justice here" and all that shit. I'm just starting to feel like any character who has any good in them is just waiting to die. Like at the end of all this will it just be "all the "good" guys are dead. Haha"?

I would like to see SOMETHING bad happen to Cersi. Fuck that bitch.

Even then, bad things happen to bad people at the hands of other bad people, and not the good people they've hurt. It takes the sweetness of their demise right out. Joffrey getting killed in a Littlefinger hatched plan was bittersweet.

Sepp

Banned
Yeah the ending felt very forced.

The mountain manages to get Oberyn off his feet, that may be possible, but then Oberyn loses his spear, falls right beside the mountain and does not move, as if he were stunned. Then there's a cut, and the mountain already has him in his grip. Highly unplausible.

The red wedding was far more effective.

.... coool~

and now i want a GoT mmo....

... which character classes would be there, guys?

1. clerics (e.g. grandmaesters, melisandre, etc)
2. high borns (e.g. tyrion, catelyn stark, littlefinger, etc.)
3. knights (e.g. jaime, brienne, barristan, jorah, etc)
4. sellswords (e.g. bronn, daario?)
5. assassins (e.g. jaqen, arya?)
6. zombies (whitewalkies)
7. nightwatchmen (grimdark torturedsouls)
8. wargs (e.g. bran, jojen)

....idonno what else : D

i wanna be jaqen :3 ofcourse :3

rando14

.... coool~

I would probably make a new class of "mages" and put Melisandre in there, along with Thoros of Myr :p

Speevy

Banned

The mountain manages to get Oberyn off his feet, that may be possible, but then Oberyn loses his spear, falls right beside the mountain and does not move, as if he were stunned. Then there's a cut, and the mountain already has him in his grip. Highly unplausible.

He's the strongest man in all of Westeros.

Oberyn's plan does not involve wrestling with him. Listen to how Bronn describes a potential fight. Tiring him out, getting him off his feet, but one misstep..

This guy pretty much does nothing but torture and murder people 24/7.

If he grabs you, especially a slender man without armor, you're dead.

Sendero

I honestly thought he was going to throw the spear/weapon at Tywin.
This is the part that interest me. Oberyn was certainly passional, but also seemed quite intelligent and practical (he totally covered his spears with venom) , so..

What was he expecting to happen, after getting a theoretical confession out of The Mountain? Throwing the spear from there and hope to kill Tywin like that?

Sure hope he is smart enough to have prepared his whole entourage (people from different houses) to try taking the Lannisters during the confusion - regardless of the result.

Tyrion certainly could use a good distraction right now.

.... coool~

Only things missing are Wildlings and Whores.

Watched the episode a few minutes ago. Unfortunately Oberyn's death was spoiled to me yesterday. Fuck the internet!!! Ruined the entire scene, even worse, the entire episode because I was just waiting for him to die. It was a great scene but I didn't felt anything because the outcome was at the back of my head the whole time. I'm going to rewatch it later when I'm less pissed.

Spoilers suck.

inky

Why are people making such a big deal out of the poison thing. Yes, it was established he knew about poisons. Yes, maybe he did cover his weapon with it, but how does that change anything? So he was covering his ass in case he lost (which he did, even though the Mountain certainly looked close to death too) but his vendetta was with Tywin as well and well, that is over now unless his poisoned spear magically stabs him too.

Is it just because people want to see a Hound vs Mountain fight later on? Meh. I mean, the Achilles heel injury by itself could've taken care of that. Or the spear to the chest.

Ianan

I'm forever shocked by that scene. I finished the books last year so I knew it was coming, but god damn man. I remember being shocked reading it, but SEEING it was fucking crazy. Just bummed me out so much since the actor for Oberyn played him so damn well. Man, I can't even go on.

Blader

What are you talking about? Mountain grabs his foot, throws him onto the ground, then immediately lifts him up over himself -- all while choking him. Then immediately follows that by punching his teeth out. There's no point where Oberyn could escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom