• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xamdou

Yeah, OT but I started watching The Walking Dead the other week to see what all the fuss was about.

Season 1 was mostly great and I thought it was really promising.

Season 2 feels like it was written by entirely different people. I got up to episode 8 and stopped watching, as you can literally see the whole thing fall further and further off the cliff.

I can only assume it gets worse.

Same here enjoyed season 1, then watched season 2 and stopped watching after that guy that looked like Bill from Left 4 Dead died.

30 hours then we have to wait a year makes sad

tumblr_lneynntjm51qaqlico1_400.gif

I doubt it was two weeks.

What do you think? It was more or less? I'm just guessing here but I think...

The start of the season when meeting Oberyn probably took half a day.

The director said the purple wedding took 4 days to shoot

The trial probably took a whole day.

All of his scenes inside of his cell probably took a day.

The trial by combat probably took a day.

All in all I'd say he was in Croatia for 2 weeks, of course there's other things to consider such as rehearsal and openings and signings etc. I'm just talking about actual filming here.

^lol

i ... watch both walky dead and true blood ....... and i also watch boardwalk empire and supernatural and american horror stories so i think i will be set in the off season

but there's nothing quite like GoT and Hannibal for me.

am not ready for the draught. hold me, gafbros.

Absolutely.
If it made you barf, why do you want to watch it still? Guilty pleasure maybe? I mean I don't watch shows that I don't like/tried to get into but couldn't such as True Blood and Sherlock. Which means I certainly dont shit in True Blood thread by calling it worse than cancer bla bla bla and still return a week later to shit on it again.

RoKKeR

Just caught up on last week's. Great episode with some truly well done moments. Sad to see the beautiful Ygritte go, but I suppose it was inevitable and I thought that scene was really nice, all things considered. Really a pretty touching moment, one of my favorite I think so far.

The way they handled the group holding the lower gate was great as well. Looking forward to the finale, but not the wait that follows!

Just caught up as well. I'm very, very sad how quiet the North has been in this season. No revenge or nothin' for the death of Robb. And I'm so tired of Stannis. Can he die already? I'm afraid he is going to live for a long time, and I just want him to be over with.I don't know if I'm crazy, but I hate how predictable this show is with everything in King's Landing. I don't think a single event has happened there that has surprised me, especially that duel. So yeah....episode 8 was a huge letdown.

Episode 9 though. Mrm. That is where it is at. I'm not sure if it is a good sign of the show, or a bad one, that I felt the most emotion during episode 9. Pyp and Grenn dying has probably left me the most sad this season. Ygritte biting it was enjoyable as well. Revenge for hurting Jon and even more for killing Pyp. I spit on her grave!

I'm sure this has been asked a billion times before, but does anyone know what time the finale will be available on HBO Go?
Just rewatched season 1. Ned is a dummy.
I feel bad for him. He has to be the most pathetic, honorable, dumb, smart character in the show. He seems very aware that he doesn't belong in King's Landing, and that he will find his end there, but keeps on going anyway.

demolitio

Peter Dinklage appearing in X-Men and now Destiny has me worried that they'll actually kill Tyrion off. :|

While I get people being worried due to GOT being notorious for killing people, but I just don't see how it's likely at all. Usually it's a shocking death and one that propels the story in new ways, and Tyrion has been a character with an ongoing arc not nearly complete and his death would serve no purpose for the story. It could happen, but I don't see it by execution for his "crime".

A lot of the Jamie scenes this season were about his own journey and how he wants to be remembered and he's the only one to truly care for Tyrion so I don't see him standing idly by. He doesn't want to be Tywin's puppet for his whole life and wants to get away from the stereotypical view the people of Westeros have of him. He wants to break away from the chains his father has put him in and what better way to save the person he loves who's in literal chains?

As much as people say this show doesn't have a lot of characters with plot armor, to me, they're pretty easy to spot (most of the time) if you look at it from a story perspective.. There's people that are being built up throughout the story and those that are already well established and ones that their deaths would actually add more to the story than them living anymore. Tyrion isn't one of those in my opinion.

Edit: Quoted wrong one. Sorry.

As much as people say this show doesn't have a lot of characters with plot armor, to me, they're pretty easy to spot (most of the time). There's people that are being built up throughout the story and those that are already well established and ones that their deaths would actually add more to the story than them living anymore. Tyrion isn't one of those in my opinion.
Agreed. It almost seems too obvious that Jamie will free Tyrion that I'm telling myself it probably won't happen. Tyrion still has far too much to offer. So does Jon Snow, until his mother is revealed. Ayra has quite a bit of plot armor as well.

No one is on as thin of ice as Jamie. I can't think how he could be stretched any further.
Just saw this from an earlier post. I love it.

demolitio

Agreed. It almost seems too obvious that Jamie will free Tyrion that I'm telling myself it probably won't happen. Tyrion still has far too much to offer. So does Jon Snow, until his mother is revealed. Ayra has quite a bit of plot armor as well.

Exactly. Despite this show killing off Ned and then the Red Wedding, those were done to facilitate the rest of the story and build up some of the other characters that originally weren't thought to be very important but then got categorized as some of the main characters of the show. So while that took a major event for us to see, we know Tyrion and Jamie have been major characters since the beginning and their arcs are very much incomplete unless Jaime's arc ends with him helping his brother.

20cent

Banned
Yeah, OT but I started watching The Walking Dead the other week to see what all the fuss was about.

Season 1 was mostly great and I thought it was really promising.

Season 2 feels like it was written by entirely different people. I got up to episode 8 and stopped watching, as you can literally see the whole thing fall further and further off the cliff.

I can only assume it gets worse.

Season 3 was simply shit and I wanted to give up after that. I resumed watching last week and I think that season 4 was great and that what happened before finally pays off. Can't wait for season 5.

Just rewatched season 1. Ned is a dummy.
There are bastards, and there are boneheads.

Tyrion Lannister - bastard
Cersei - bastard
Tywin - bastard
Joffery - bonehead

Robb - bonehead
Ned - bonehead
Sansa - trained to be a bonehead, potential to grow into a bastard
Arya - half developed bastard
Catelyn - bonehead
Jon Snow - knows nothing

Robert - bonehead
Stannis - tries hard to be a bastard but is perhaps the biggest bonehead
Renley - bonehead

Oberyn - bonehead

Varys- bastard
Baelish - bastard maximus

Margery - bastard
Olenna - bastardus maximus supremus

Viserys - bonehead
Dany - she's getting the results of a bastard and consciously trying to be one lately, but I can't help but think she's a bonehead. time will tell.

Maester Pycelle - rare! a bastard who plays a bonehead. there are more boneheads who fancy themselves bastards than vice versa.
Maester Aemon - managed to live for over 100 years in a GRRM universe so there must be a little bastard in him

Theon Greyjoy - bonehead
Balon Greyjoy - bonehead
Yara Greyjoy - can't tell

Cersai is more lucky than she is smart. I'd call her a bonehead. Her son is dead, her daughter is gone to a place who's prince was just killed by her champion, her other son is being manipulated by her dad and Margery, she's trying to get her brother killed who has never done anything to actually hurt her, and she was fucking her other brother.

Cersei isn't smart at all. She was just lucky enough to get married to a king.

Hypron

Cersai is more lucky than she is smart. I'd call her a bonehead. Her son is dead, her daughter is gone to a place who's prince was just killed by her champion, her other son is being manipulated by her dad and Margery, she's trying to get her brother killed who has never done anything to actually hurt her, and she was fucking her other brother.

Yeah, she's just an incredibly mean spirited idiot.

You may have a point. A number of her schemes have backfired in ways she hadn't predicted. Was it Tywin who tells her she isn't as smart as she thinks she is? My memories of season 1 are pretty faint at this point, but I'm pretty sure she totally outmaneuvers the Starks (although, again, events end up unfolding in ways that she doesn't anticipate).

You got Stannis and Cersei mixed up.
Stannis has an angel whispering to him into one ear and the devil whispering in his other. When he's not listening to them whisper (and siding with the one who can show him pretty things in the fire), he's brooding in the corner of a dark room, unable to formulate a way forward. He's easily manipulated, holds on to a rigid set of principles (he's a good soldier but a lousy leader, yet he believes he should go on to be king because he's next in line), and outside of the Lord of Light crotch spawn murdering his brother, his plans have all backfired.

e: I'm not sure Renely deserves to be labelled a bonehead either. I'll send it off for a panel of experts to discuss.

Rorschach

Cersei. She's trying to get our favorite dwarf killed ;__;

If it was up to Sansa, he'd be dead too. Just because of the way he looks. Sansa is female Joffrey. Don't get why people like her. Oh, and she kinda chose Joffrey over family and is partly responsible for Ned's death.

What do you think? It was more or less? I'm just guessing here but I think...

The start of the season when meeting Oberyn probably took half a day.

The director said the purple wedding took 4 days to shoot

The trial probably took a whole day.

All of his scenes inside of his cell probably took a day.

The trial by combat probably took a day.

All in all I'd say he was in Croatia for 2 weeks, of course there's other things to consider such as rehearsal and openings and signings etc. I'm just talking about actual filming here.
I think you're significantly underestimating how long it takes to film some of this stuff. Regardless of that, with the statement that the schedule works in favor of the actors doesn't mean that we Dinklage gets full days of filming just his scenes on the schedule for 15 straight days. As for locations, I believe they shoot all the exteriors for Kings Landing in Croatia, but I think they might go to Belfast for a few interior sets.

Agreed. It almost seems too obvious that Jamie will free Tyrion that I'm telling myself it probably won't happen. Tyrion still has far too much to offer. So does Jon Snow, until his mother is revealed.

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but why do we care about who is Jon Snow's mother? Seems to me she's either some commoner of little importance or he's actually half Lannister / Tyrell / some other noble house. If that were the case I think it would be a cheap way to throw him in the mix.

There are bastards, and there are boneheads.

Tyrion Lannister - bastard
Cersei - bastard
Tywin - bastard
Joffery - bonehead

Robb - bonehead
Ned - bonehead
Sansa - trained to be a bonehead, potential to grow into a bastard
Arya - half developed bastard
Catelyn - bonehead
Jon Snow - knows nothing

Robert - bonehead
Stannis - tries hard to be a bastard but is perhaps the biggest bonehead
Renley - bonehead

Oberyn - bonehead

Varys- bastard
Baelish - bastard maximus

Margery - bastard
Olenna - bastardus maximus supremus

Viserys - bonehead
Dany - she's getting the results of a bastard and consciously trying to be one lately, but I can't help but think she's a bonehead. time will tell.

Maester Pycelle - rare! a bastard who plays a bonehead. there are more boneheads who fancy themselves bastards than vice versa.
Maester Aemon - managed to live for over 100 years in a GRRM universe so there must be a little bastard in him

Theon Greyjoy - bonehead
Balon Greyjoy - bonehead
Yara Greyjoy - can't tell

:D so true, all so true... cept for Cersei. the rest is spot on <3

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If it made you barf, why do you want to watch it still? Guilty pleasure maybe? I mean I don't watch shows that I don't like/tried to get into but couldn't such as True Blood and Sherlock. Which means I certainly dont shit in True Blood thread by calling it worse than cancer bla bla bla and still return a week later to shit on it again.

I can still see some potential and from time to time the show kind of delivers. Just very sparsely. I'm also a glutton for punishment and I hatewatch the shit out of it just so I can bitch about it on GAF.

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but why do we care about who is Jon Snow's mother? Seems to me she's either some commoner of little importance or he's actually half Lannister / Tyrell / some other noble house. If that were the case I think it would be a cheap way to throw him in the mix.
Because I honestly don't think he is Ned's son. Maybe it is nothing and I'm grasping at straws. I found it too specifically vague that Ned told Catelyn that Jon was of his blood. Not that "he is my son". Though I think he has told others he is his son.
I can still see some potential and from time to time the show kind of delivers. Just very sparsely. I'm also a glutton for punishment and I hatewatch the shit out of it just so I can bitch about it on GAF.
I know exactly what you mean. I have a very strong hate/love relationship with Game of Thrones. I tear it apart quite regularly, yet I can't stop watching.

If it was up to Sansa, he'd be dead too. Just because of the way he looks. Sansa is female Joffrey. Don't get why people like her. Oh, and she kinda chose Joffrey over family and is partly responsible for Ned's death.
I don't know a nicer way to say this other than you're wrong. Labeling her as a female Joffrey has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've read here. While she is responsible for Ned's death, we don't know that Joffrey wouldn't have killed him even without his confession, on top of a 13 year old girl being manipulated at King's Landing isn't exactly as easy as everyone who is watching it from everyone's perspective as it's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom