• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Watch the few episodes of The Tudors when Dormer is hot. The series as a whole will make you want to kill yourself by the end.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Not sure what 'justification' you really need. He was raised like shit. Incest didn't do that, being an entitled brat did that. There doesn't have to be some singular dark event in his life, just a kid with no boundaries that was already an asshole. We've seen plenty of monsters in our own history that got away with atrocities because of the priviledge they were born into.

That's what I'm saying lol I don't think simply being born of incest is the whole cause for his behaviour. I think his upbringing, his daddy issues, his mother constantly telling him "well just you wait until your king my little boy. You can do whatever you want then", all come together to turn him into the despicable little shit he is.

Peagles

That's what I'm saying lol I don't think simply being born of incest is the whole cause for his behaviour. I think his upbringing, his daddy issues, his mother constantly telling him "well just you wait until your king my little boy. You can do whatever you want then", all come together to turn him into the despicable little shit he is.

It certainly makes him a despicable little shit, but I'm still interested in his borderline necrophilia and deeply sadistic personality. I mean, I'm interested in the reasons for them, not actually in them, lol. Must be something that happened to him young though if he was quite little when he allegedly split open a pregnant cat...

That's it, I'm gonna read the books.

TheYanger

It certainly makes him a despicable little shit, but I'm still interested in his borderline necrophilia and deeply sadistic personality. I mean, I'm interested in the reasons for them, not actually in them, lol. Must be something that happened to him young though if he was quite little when he allegedly split open a pregnant cat...

That's what we're saying: Why does there have to be? Do you truly think every twisted person has some kind of comic book villain origin story? You're shaped by your environment and experiences and everything as a person, but it doesn't mean it can't be just a lot of little things like that. Maybe entirely subconsciously he saw a dead person once and thought 'that's kinda cool' or what have you. It doesn't have to be any singular major event at all. If it were relevent, it'd be known.

Peagles

That's what we're saying: Why does there have to be? Do you truly think every twisted person has some kind of comic book villain origin story? You're shaped by your environment and experiences and everything as a person, but it doesn't mean it can't be just a lot of little things like that. Maybe entirely subconsciously he saw a dead person once and thought 'that's kinda cool' or what have you. It doesn't have to be any singular major event at all. If it were relevent, it'd be known.

There doesn't have to be. I'd just prefer if there was. It's just how my brain works, I like to formulate people, and I don't feel like I have enough information to formulate Joffrey.

I'm lacking that information for some other characters too, but they aren't as extreme so I don't feel the need so much.

Don't mind me, I'm just dragging my work life into my personal life yet again, lol.

Qvoth

is there any particular reason why mance rayder is invading south of the wall?
are they running from the whitewalkers?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
is there any particular reason why mance rayder is invading south of the wall?
are they running from the whitewalkers?

There was a scene last season where he says:

"Do you know what it takes to unite ninety clans, half of whom want to massacre the other half for one insult or another? They speak seven different languages in my army. The Thenns hate the Hornfoots, the Hornfoots hate the Ice-river clans, everyone hates the Cave people. So, you know how I got moon-worshipers and cannibals and giants to march together in the same army? I told them we were all going to die if we don't get south. 'Cause that's the truth."

So yes, I'm confident that's why.

leng jai

Not sure why so many people are upset about the new Daario. I suspect most of them wouldn't be happy either way simply because he was recast. The original seemed a bit "off" and over the top to me and it's not like he was even given more than 30 minutes of screen time so far. The new Daario seems more charismatic to me.

Philippo

Am i the only one who thinks that Joffrey, together with some more experience and Margaery's influence could actually be a decent king?
I mean, to me it looks like he's already toning down his sadistic behavior towards his people and making it a more "intimate" thing (we saw him torturing whores, killing Ross and "flirting" with Margaery all in his bedroom); he also seems honestly interested in actually ruling his kingdom (when he asks to participate to the Council); and of course Margaery's presence is doing wonders for his public image.

I don't know, i have this felling that he has some raw potential that people rule out automatically because he's a jerk.

Also, he and Margaery have this twisted relationship that i cannot wait to see where it goes
tumblr_mky9y6ZWkA1qc79cso1_250.gif

It's pretty clear he's modelled on leaders like Caligula who was rumoured to have a disease that drove him mad. He's a product of incest which also turned the mad king into a lunatic. I really don't think there's anything more to it.

The show is still fun to watch but it's all just a series of revenge plots at this point. Every character is motivated by spite in some form or another, which is kind of tiring. The whole Dany completed isolated from the rest of the events of the show, does she invade this season? It doesn't feel like it, how long can they really drag that plot point out?

Klyka

Banned
Joffrey is gonna be a decent king?

Eh, I am not quite sure that is what the show has been showing us. I mean, pretty much every character has said things like "Yeah once he is King things will go downhill fast."
It's almost a bit too over the top really, at this point in time Joffrey is basically a mustache twirling villain with the viewers wondering "What kind of evil hijinks will he be up to THIS episode! XD "

Honestly,I think they need to give him more of a purpose. Dude needs to get out of the palace and DO something. Marry his Queen, have a big party, drink till he falls over and then decide "fuck it,I'm king now,assemble the army" and go fight Stannis or something.

Philippo

Joffrey is gonna be a decent king?

Eh, I am not quite sure that is what the show has been showing us. I mean, pretty much every character has said things like "Yeah once he is King things will go downhill fast."
It's almost a bit too over the top really, at this point in time Joffrey is basically a mustache twirling villain with the viewers wondering "What kind of evil hijinks will he be up to THIS episode! XD "

Honestly,I think they need to give him more of a purpose. Dude needs to get out of the palace and DO something. Marry his Queen, have a big party, drink till he falls over and then decide "fuck it,I'm king now,assemble the army" and go fight Stannis or something.

It's just a (sadistic) teenage phase, let him go.
Well, i said he could possibly with the right support be a decent king, but obviously won't.
I agree on a more direct purpose in the story, but then again he's too afraid to go against Tywin(pretty much like everyone else).

Vagabundo

If somehow Joffery can grow himself out of being a narcissistic sociopath then he could be a decent king. Although he wouldn't have a compassionate bone in his body, he could learn to temper his torturing and killing - or at least direct it Dexter-style.

If GRRM can do that in a convincing manner then he is a genius. I somehow doubt it. I suspect Joffery will have a messy and unpleasant end well before any of this growth can happen.

I just hope it is half as satisfying as that clown Rob getting his in the Red Wedding...

Am i the only one who thinks that Joffrey, together with some more experience and Margaery's influence could actually be a decent king?
I mean, to me it looks like he's already toning down his sadistic behavior towards his people and making it a more "intimate" thing (we saw him torturing whores, killing Ross and "flirting" with Margaery all in his bedroom); he also seems honestly interested in actually ruling his kingdom (when he asks to participate to the Council); and of course Margaery's presence is doing wonders for his public image.

I don't know, i have this felling that he has some raw potential that people rule out automatically because he's a jerk.

Also, he and Margaery have this twisted relationship that i cannot wait to see where it goes
tumblr_mky9y6ZWkA1qc79cso1_250.gif

If by 'decent' you mean splashing out on lavish weddings and errecting huge statues of himself while the rest of the kingdom starves and burns, sure.

Vagabundo

Is a single-use rare item.

Also for the Lannisters he made the leeches curse (remember when they captured Gendry?)

What ever happened to that curse? Did anything come of it or are we still waiting for it finish?

Watching Rob get killed was immensely satisfying, especially with so many people throwing fits of rage and sadness about it.

It was pretty satisfying from a shock/story perspective. Although I was being a bit disingenuous, I didn't think Rob a clown, I happened to like him. He did fall into the same trap that his father did and let honor and rules get in the way of winning.

Aryia will not make those mistakes. All hail the Queen.

Now bend your knee Stannis or she'll Needle your hamstrings, you giant ham...

Vagabundo

Didn't he curse Robb? I think his death (although indirect) only strengthens the evidence for the red gods existence.

Oh maybe. I thought it was Joffery he was after.

And I don't doubt the Red God's existence, but I do doubt its intentions. I get the feeling that any truck with it will lead to something very bad.

Angry Fork

I didn't even realize they replaced that long haired guy who was smitten with Daenerys until I read this thread. I thought that was just some new random person they met on the road. The old actor was way better imo.

Good episode but felt kind of slow in the middle. I don't really care about Sansa and I still hate Daenerys so it's tough having to sit through their scenes. Arya is my favorite so I'm glad they did something cool with her. Am a big fan of Jaime now too hopefully he does great things this season.

Complistic

I didn't even realize they replaced that long haired guy who was smitten with Daenerys until I read this thread. I thought that was just some new random person they met on the road. The old actor was way better imo.

The old actor belonged in a romance novel. I haven't seen enough of the new actor to decide how I like him.

Carbonox

The old actor had an eccentricity about him and looked far more the part than the new guy who looks absolutely generic by the show's standards, at least in my eyes. It's a jarring recast.

Nameless

Yeah the old actor had this half-creepy and mysterious charisma about him that made the character standout. You really bought Daenerys being intrigued by an excotic stranger.

The recast is unfortunate but I'm making a real effort to judge Daario New-haris on his own merits.

rjc571

Banned
Regardless of which actor you prefer, the show didn't do a very good job of explaining to the audience that the new guy is actually the same character as the old guy who looks nothing like him.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Regardless of which actor you prefer, the show didn't do a very good job of explaining to the audience that the new guy is actually the same character as the old guy who looks nothing like him.

They did mention his name like three times, which aside from putting some character change notice before the episode I think is the most they could do

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Maybe it's just because I knew of the recast a long-ass time ago, but I didn't really get distracted by it.

That said, I also thought the other guy was "ACTING" so it's a win-win for me.

That said, they did do a bad job of explaining it was him. If only because I doubt most people knew what the characters NAME even was. I can't help but wonder if some wardrobe and a shave wouldn't have helped more than any proper introductions...

Angry Fork

They did mention his name like three times, which aside from putting some character change notice before the episode I think is the most they could do

I have a hard time remembering the names of people who aren't central characters, I just describe them by their characteristics or how they connect with a main character. I imagine it's like that for a lot of people, especially if the characters have eccentric names compared to modern day.

I agree there's not much they could do though, I'm not upset about the change really because I find all of Daenerys story to be annoying but I do think the old actor had an interesting mystique about him. You get the impression he could be a spy or you just don't know his real motives. The other poster saying the new guy looks generic is what I feel as well.

Sendero

Not sure why so many people are upset about the new Daario.
From an strict visual point of view, I think the new actor does not fit - at all. Last season, he was depicted basically as an skilled suave elf that loves women&wine and accept no for an answer. Tall, strong, foreign look, exotic accent, quite good as assassin/infiltrator, and with a sort of collected yet capricious demeanor. And a stark contrast to Dany and her entourage.

You can buy the possibility of growing sexual tension with khaleesi just on physical terms.

To me, the new actor
LECbSev.jpg
looks basically like a younger version of Jorah.
WYfcf6Z.jpg

"Young and less simp" might be the only angle RR Martin is going on on the books to depict a possible love triangle drama, I do not know. But on the series, it felt there would be more than that. Perhaps the new cast's acting skills were really needed on the upcoming chapters. Will see.

I have a hard time remembering the names of people who aren't central characters, I just describe them by their characteristics or how they connect with a main character. I imagine it's like that for a lot of people, especially if the characters have eccentric names compared to modern day.

I agree there's not much they could do though, I'm not upset about the change really because I find all of Daenerys story to be annoying but I do think the old actor had an interesting mystique about him. You get the impression he could be a spy or you just don't know his real motives. The other poster saying the new guy looks generic is what I feel as well.

That's not the show doing a bad job of explaining though. That's you doing a bad job of remembering names. As I said earlier in this thread, I realized pretty fast that I'd better learn actual names and not just faces or else I would be completely lost in this show.

Yeah they did, they mentioned his name a few times, too many times actually. But if you don't know the names, then i'd understand why it would be confusing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's amazing but god dammit, 9gag.

Can we ban 9gag? Force people to remove the watermark when posting images. They're worse than ebaumsworld or people who post screenshots of photos from their phone instead of posting the image itself.

Edit: Hooray! So long, 9gag!

Do you have any hilarious behind the scenes stories about Game of Thrones?

There was one scene I was doing with Jerome Flynn, who plays Bronn. It was in season 1 I think, when I say something to a crazy woodsman guy. He asks “How do you want to die?” and the line in the script was like, “At the age of 80 with wine in my belly and a girl’s mouth around my cock.” And I said… “Age of 80 and a girl’s cock around my mouth!” I inverted a couple of the words, and when I said that my friend Jerome couldn’t stop laughing, so we had to stop filming for the day

lol too good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom