• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You are watching the wrong show. Wights/White Walkers were right there in the very first scene of the very first episode in the very first season.

We've seen Wights, White Walkers, Giants, mammoths, dragons, Melisandre give birth to a shadow assassin, and tons of other shit, and you're complaining about fantastical elements.

It's a freaking fantasy show!

No kidding. Bran's shit is consistent with the rest of the show, it's just that that kind of stuff has been in the background for the most part so far. I'm guessing it's only going to get deeper into the fantasy elements as the show goes on so I hope you guys can accept it.

Zeliard

The whole Bran part made me cringe. This show would've been so much better without the fantasy gobshite... I know it's in the books, but still sigh. Otherwise, great episode.

Yeah I've heard a lot of impressions from people, including some friends, who had a great distaste for Bran's undead skeleton part of the episode.

The show's garnered a notable amount of viewers who don't ordinarily watch fantasy and are more in it for the political intrigue, so I suppose it isn't too surprising when they dislike the more overt magical portions of the show, but it is after all still a fantasy story and crazy supernatural stuff has been there from the start.

You are watching the wrong show. Wights/White Walkers were right there in the very first scene of the very first episode in the very first season.

We've seen Wights, White Walkers, Giants, mammoths, dragons, Melisandre give birth to a shadow assassin, and tons of other shit, and you're complaining about fantastical elements.

You are completely right but a lot of those are just so minor to the main plot which I guess is where my problem is. Mammoths, and Giants were merely company to a larger threat. Dragons have done next to nothing. White Walkers too. They are just a threat people keep bringing up that no one actually seems to give a damn about. Bran's storyline is completely focused on fantasy elements and it seems like the only one that is, but that will likely change I guess.

I don't mind the fantasy elements off the main continent for some reason. Reminds me of middle ages story telling, where the far east was some mystical place but home was completely normal.

The show just doesn't dedicate enough time to make me care about the Bran storyline IMO. And Bran seems to look 10 years older everytime we see him.

El Daniel

The (high) fantasy makes up 5% of the show. How is he watching the wrong show. What show should he watch instead.

I'm torn between reading the books or waiting. I assume this season is the ending of the third one so it's easy to pick up from there.

On the other hand, I like the show as a TV show and I don't know if I'll enjoy it more than reading them.

But I want to know what happens next. Dammit.

If you're enjoying the show I wouldn't read the books yet. While everyone here enjoyed the episode it seems that a large portion of those who read the books are dissapointed for a number of reasons and changes.

If you read the books now you'll always be nitpicking about any little changes they make.

Emilia Clarke acts about as well as a cardboard box.
Her continually shite performances aside... this was an excellent season.

Can't wait to see Arya / Jaqen H'ghar storyline develop next season.

Bran has been possessing Summer/Hodor and doing supernatural shit since last season. His story arc is about fantasy.

It was expected for him to end in Carcosa to join the covenant of some root wizard.

Jado

Banned
Re; Stannis...how does one go about buying an army of that size? Is he paying each person individually? That would cost a fuck-ton. Are they payed after they win him a battle? The logistics behind how these men are paid baffles me.

Hi army isn't actually very big. In the book, I think it states he has about 1000 men on horse who just happen to be well-trained and organized -- easily routing the much larger but highly disorganized tribes of wildlings that also consist of many non-fighters. As Mance mentioned, they just want passage to settle down in peace and safety somewhere south of the Wall before winter arrives. They're not equipped nor trained nor intent on invading and conquering.

The whole Bran part made me cringe. This show would've been so much better without the fantasy gobshite... I know it's in the books, but still sigh. Otherwise, great episode.

This really doesn't fucking surprise me. Much of the huge audience this show has gained doesn't give a damn about fantasy/sci-fi. The big battle at the Wall was amazing, and the first feedback I read the next day was an article from a major site calling it "boring" and a coworker telling me she "hated the episode." Where's Sansa? What are the Tyrells going to scheme up next? What's gonna happen to Tyrion? Jon snow is so sad without Ygritte! I can't believe she poisoned him! I can't believe he pushed her out the trapdoor! I can't believe they got killed at the wedding!

These people want pure drama and backstabbing, not Lord of the Rings. This is why we barely see the dragons and the wolves, and other fantastical elements from the book that I won't spoil here are either downplayed or entirely not shown. They're going to be extremely disappointed when this show is inevitably forced to showcase more and more of the fantasy elements that the rest of us know have been there from the very beginning, inching closer and closer to the central focus of the overarching story so that it will be impossible to ignore it.

Emilia Clarke acts about as well as a cardboard box.
Here continually shite performances aside... this was an excellent season.

This needs to be brought up as often as possible. Without a prior word, my GF turned to me during her scene and said "she looks like a doofus." Holy shit@ her vacant expression and poor acting.

raphier

Banned
The (high) fantasy makes up 5% of the show. How is he watching the wrong show. What show should he watch instead.

You don't see how that percent is gradually increasing each season? "Winter is coming" is literally foreboding the approach of magic that has been lying dormant.

Vashetti

Banned
Hi army isn't actually very big. In the book, I think it states he has about 1000 men on horse who just happen to be well-trained and organized -- easily routing the much larger but highly disorganized tribes of wildlings that also consist of many non-fighters. As Mance mentioned, they just want passage to settle down in peace and safety somewhere south of the Wall before winter arrives. They're not equipped nor trained nor intent on invading and conquering.

This really doesn't fucking surprise me. Much of the huge audience this show has gained doesn't give a damn about fantasy/sci-fi. The big battle at the Wall was amazing, and the first feedback I read the next day was an article from a major site calling it "boring" and a coworker telling me she "hated the episode." Where's Sansa? What are the Tyrells going to scheme up next? What's gonna happen to Tyrion? Jon snow is so sad without Ygritte! I can't believe she poisoned him! I can't believe he pushed her out the trapdoor! I can't believe they got killed at the wedding!

These people want pure drama and backstabbing, not Lord of the Rings. This is why we barely see the dragons and the wolves, and other fantastical elements from the book that I won't spoil here are either downplayed or entirely not shown. They're going to be extremely disappointed when this show is inevitably forced to showcase more and more of the fantasy elements that the rest of us know have been there from the very beginning, inching closer and closer to the central focus of the overarching story so that it will be impossible to ignore it.

This needs to be brought up as often as possible. Without a prior word, my GF turned to me during her scene and said "she looks like a doofus." Holy shit@ her vacant expression and poor acting.

How hard is it to keep this out of here?

Wow, so be careful on Twitter.

I clicked "Game of Thrones" on trending as I often do after I've watched an episode and the top story was a bloody article on a particular thing that didn't make it to this episode. I already knew the name of the thing (trying to be vague outside of the spoiler tag)
Stoneheart (Lena Headey's Instagram "spoiler")
but I didn't know who it was, well that article was accompanied by a very large picture of the person.

It appears to have gone now but just a fair warning. Normally it's just episode screens and twitter reactions.

Quoting for emphasis.Do not check the internet (or look up that name) for stuff like that. In previous years missing book content may not have been a big deal, so those types of articles were safe, but not this year.

El Daniel

You don't see how that percent is gradually increasing each season? "Winter is coming" is literally foreboding the approach of magic that has been lying dormant.

Yet this show is mostly about politics and non fantasy stuff in a fictional medieval land and it's not weird people don't enjoy the fantasy.

jonnyp

It's been like 5% fantasy and 95% gritty realism for 4 seasons now. I am a fan of the show, so no I'm not watching the wrong show. I can voice my opinion like everyone else without being belittled by you.

It's my opinion that it would've been an even better show without the fantasy elements. It's the human to human interaction, politics, intrigue and dialogue that makes this show great IMHO. Deal with it.

So is Brienne of fucking Tarth a terminator robot or what. Catelyn's dead. Why are you after Arya? Where will you take her? To King's Landing? Her father, brother, mother and aunt are all dead. She is really fucking dumb just like Sandor said. I wished he killed her.

I just didn't get the entire face off. Arya was being a dumb little bitch herself watching Sandor get destroyed. What was her plan? To join Brienne if Sandor died in the duel? Go back to KL with her or the Vale? She just got terribly lucky by slipping away (thx pod you fuck). Some scenes dont really make any sense in this show. People are complaining about Bran skeletor stuff being the low point of the episode, but its this scene in my opinion that was stupid.

Jaime's farewell to his brother seemed quite nice. But he needs to stop thinking with his sword and instead use his brain. Cersei is no better than a whore and deserves the fate she'll recieve.

Jado

Banned
How hard is it to keep this out of here?

Are you fucking serious? Someone asked a question about how Stannis was able to support such a large army and I brought up that the book states it's actually a pretty small number of men -- which is directly supported by the TV show when we see an eagle-eye view of Stannis' relatively small but organized cavalry formations. My entire post was about the TV show and what we saw on the TV show, including the fantasy elements that are troubling people who are now taking more note of it.

So is Brienne of fucking Tarth a terminator robot or what. Catelyn's dead. Why are you after Arya? Where will you take her? To King's Landing? Her father, brother, mother and aunt are all dead. She is really fucking dumb just like Sandor said. I wished he killed her.

I just didn't get the entire face off. Arya was being a dumb little bitch herself watching Sandor get destroyed. What was her plan? To join Brienne if Sandor died in the duel? Go back to KL with her or the Vale? She just got terribly lucky by slipping away (thx pod you fuck). Some scenes dont really make any sense in this show. People are complaining about Bran skeletor stuff being the low point of the episode, but its this scene in my opinion that was stupid.

I honestly think Arya just didn't care enough to save him. She probably had a dozen opportunities to stab Brienne. Look at her blank expression and non-responsiveness when Sandor was dying and begging. It was more like she was surveying his current health status and whether he was still any use to her (sees nothing of value in him and snatches his coin bag). Cold-blooded.

Are you fucking serious? Someone asked a question about how Stannis was able to support such a large army and I brought up that the book states it's actually a pretty small number of men -- which is directly supported by the TV show when we see an eagle-eye view of Stannis' relatively small but organized cavalry formations. My entire post was about the TV show and what we saw on the TV show, including the fantasy elements that are troubling people who are now taking more note of it.
OP says don't do that. I don't care but people do.

Vashetti

Banned

No book talk bro.

Woah, calm down Aerys. There's no fingers being pointed here. Granted, it would be amusing to see you attack a person. Would your weapon of choice be the first book in the series?

Jado

Banned
No book talk bro.

Okay. I'll rephrase it: as seen in last night's episode, Stannis' army isn't very large by any standards of army sizes we have seen in Westeros or even across the Sea. Dany's army looks way larger and she seems to have no problem supporting them even when she was struggling for food/supplies at one point. All the non-poor kingdoms further South seem to have way more men than Stannis, even the broke Lannisters. On top of that, he went to that Iron Bank place and convinced the guys there to fund his war cause, so it's well established that it's plausible for him to have shown up north of the Wall with all those guys.

Derwind

The politics in the show are amazing but the things that leave me wondering are the fantasy elements. I don't mind feeling alone actually enjoying Brans story, Jon Snows Whitewalker story, early Danearys story... Rhagar Targarians story about the Iron Throne and the many dragons that helped him defeat his enemies.

Hell Jaqen H'Gars invitation to Arya and his shapeshifting has intrigued me without fail and I imagine Arya learning his fantastical art.

From the very first scene the fantasy element has been intriguing and mysterious in this show for me.

And the complaints about it now, over a pretty awesome but ultimately short scene seems really out of place for me.

Siegcram

It's been like 5% fantasy and 95% gritty realism for 4 seasons now. I am a fan of the show, so no I'm not watching the wrong show. I can voice my opinion like everyone else without being belittled by you.

It's my opinion that it would've been an even better show without the fantasy elements. It's the human to human interaction, politics, intrigue and dialogue that makes this show great IMHO. Deal with it.
If it were 100% realistic there would be literally no higher stakes for the endgame.
What would the endgame even be at that point. You can only do so many betrayals, double crosses and assassinations.

The looming threat have always been the supernatural enemies (mainly Walkers and Dragons at this point). This show would be without narrative development and climax without fantasy.

Road

To me the highlight of the season was still this:

-220806_w654.jpg

I like the implications of a White Walker council with smart and powerful people, compared to the soldier type we had only seen this far. Can't wait to see their story unfold. (I just hope it isn't garbage.)

The Bran scene came out of left field because it had been a while since the fantasy elements were at the front (ignoring the obvious Dragons). The only thing that I didn't like was the magic grenade throwing, it was weird. But if you stop to think about it, that scene is only but a small scale of the White Walker + zombie army of S2/3. And the magic in it is nothing compared to the shadow baby that killed Renly.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The funny part about fantasy complaints to me is that I've greatly appreciated how the story's strategy to craft a grounded world for the magical elements to exist in. I complimented the effects for the skeleton attack last night to someone else - said it was the first time I'd ever seen such creatures portrayed that well in a realistic setting. The more I think about it, the more it puts an ominous spin on the whole series.

I realize some viewers are going to be completely allergic to "fantastic" elements due to personal taste and pet peeves. But I suppose they're going to have to get over it; nothing stops this apocalyptic winter train.

I honestly think Arya just didn't care enough to save him. She probably had a dozen opportunities to stab Brienne. Look at her blank expression and non-responsiveness when Sandor was dying and begging. It was more like she was surveying his current health status and whether he was still any use to her (sees nothing of value in him and snatches his coin bag). Cold-blooded.
I understand her cold blooded streak. I am saying she just got incredibly lucky that Brienne couldn't take her. She was stupid to put Sandor's life in danger, when the only other choice was being taken captive by Brienne.

besada

Banned

A show that doesn't have magical/fantastic elements? The show NOW has maybe 5% high fantasy, but it ought to have been clear to anyone watching that more is on the way. The dragons have been there from early on, as have the white walkers. In both cases, it ought to be obvious that those plot lines were going to grow.

If the fantasy is too much for you, you really are watching the wrong show, because it's unlikely to diminish as we move forward.

As a serious answer to your likely facetious question : I, Claudius. All the political intrigue, none of the fantasy.

xaosslug

so, who is gonna save the Hound? And are we gonna have FrankenMountain + FrankenTywin next season?

Agreed. The show is a somewhat realistic setting with some small doses of fantasy here and there and then there is Bran's shit which is just ridiculously over the top.

there are dragons flying around... what? The fantasy stuff is life. Until the Bran stuff picked up, I was bored. I want Frankenpeople and wizards and fairies and dragons and unicorns and ice zombies!!!

It would be hilarious if the change The Mountain undergoes turns him into a nice well mannered guy.

I can't imagine him turning more fucked up than he already is.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I like the implications of a White Walker council with smart and powerful people, compared to the soldier type we had only seen this far. Can't wait to see their story unfold. (I just hope it isn't garbage.)

I am very curious to see if the idea "nobody is wholly good or evil" (well... except Joffrey maybe) carries through to the White Walkers. Personally I think the council we saw are not actually undead but some kind of winter-dominating magical race who create the undead WWs as their servants. And I wonder if their goals are very grey in and of themselves.

BTM

Well, it looks like we might be losing a few viewers once more fantasy/magic elements become more prominent in the next few seasons. I for one have always loved the fantasy elements of the show.

Zaptruder

Banned
GoT more fantasy gritty comic book then medieval West Wing/House of Cards.

Well, if you wanted medieval west wing/house of cards, you should've watched The White Queen. Now cancelled.

xaosslug

from the start, there has been huge foreshadowing that the 'time of men' was coming to a close as there would be a 'mystical renaissance' of sorts. LOL

at a certain point, I can only assume it will become Daenerys & her dragons + all the other humans vs. the mystical beings 'beyond the wall'.

Leunam

If the fantasy is too much for you, you really are watching the wrong show, because it's unlikely to diminish as we move forward.

It likely won't diminish the longer the story stays north of The Wall, too. That part of the world is scary as fuck and not just because of Wildlings it seems. That must be where all the really messed up stuff originates from.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The funny part about fantasy complaints to me is that I've greatly appreciated how the story's strategy to craft a grounded world for the magical elements to exist in. I complimented the effects for the skeleton attack last night to someone else - said it was the first time I'd ever seen such creatures portrayed that well in a realistic setting. The more I think about it, the more it puts an ominous spin on the whole series.

I realize some viewers are going to be completely allergic to "fantastic" elements due to personal taste and pet peeves. But I suppose they're going to have to get over it; nothing stops this apocalyptic winter train.

It's a big part of what the series is about. It takes place in a time where most supernatural things have faded into obscurity, to the point where many people consider them to be silly legends. But the very first scene of the entire series signals a change, with the white walkers returning. The first season also introduces the return of Dragons and early bits of Bran's prophecy. We're now starting to see the culmination of all of this after a few seasons of build up.

The primary focus has been on all of the politics surrounding the throne, but all the while much bigger things are going on. This has been re-iterated several times now, that the battle for the throne is basically meaningless compared to the shit that's about to go down. The white walkers are approaching while most of the kingdom is too busy focusing on itself. In Dany's and Bran's visions we have seen that image of the empty throne covered in ice and snow, that basically says it all. It doesn't matter who sits on the throne when the entire kingdom is doomed. I haven't read the books, but again, it's clear that the fantastical elements will only become more and more prevalent in the series.

Jackpot

Banned
Agreed. The show is a somewhat realistic setting with some small doses of fantasy here and there and then there is Bran's shit which is just ridiculously over the top.

I like it. Normally the fantasy is out in the open and everyone takes it in stride, with the world constructed so magic mcguffin x can destroy magic evil y. But here they've laid a grounded foundation with politics and intrigue and now we get to see how these people react to something so completely out of their control in a semi-realistic fashion

Avinexus

This really doesn't fucking surprise me. Much of the huge audience this show has gained doesn't give a damn about fantasy/sci-fi.

Hell, the whole reason I kept with the show initially was because I wanted to see that thing they showed at the beginning of the very first episode. There are more people that like fantasy stuff watching this than you think.

Personally, I love it when more fantasy elements are shown. That doesn't mean I liked the skeleton part this episode though, it wasn't very good. Bran's entire storyline so far has been boring and drawn out. The fantasy elements of the story don't bother me, its just how useless his storyline has been so far.

El Daniel

A show that doesn't have magical/fantastic elements? The show NOW has maybe 5% high fantasy, but it ought to have been clear to anyone watching that more is on the way. The dragons have been there from early on, as have the white walkers. In both cases, it ought to be obvious that those plot lines were going to grow.

As a serious answer to your likely facetious question : I, Claudius. All the political intrigue, none of the fantasy.
Well, I wasn't talking about myself. I quite like the fantasybits, although I don't like full skeleton guys.

The politics in Westeros is why I watch this.

Ikael

Posting on this tread just to give a shoot out to FunkyPapa: Bro, I loved your reviews. Best parts of the Unsullied tread! Keep them coming please :D

PD: Eatchildren's recaps are hylariously great as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom