• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota47

If you're enjoying the show I wouldn't read the books yet. While everyone here enjoyed the episode it seems that a large portion of those who read the books are dissapointed for a number of reasons and changes.

If you read the books now you'll always be nitpicking about any little changes they make.

Some book readers, especially on /r/GameOfThrones and /r/ASOIAF, are pretentious twats. I read the books as well, but I still enjoyed this episode immensely. I can easily overlook plot simplifications and the scrapping of characters if it makes for a better show. Oh and I would recommend the books to everyone. Get the audio books if you aren't much of a reader. They add so much depth to the series.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hound wasn't shown dead...

He'll be back I feel,
to take on Darth Mountain.

Normally I'm one of the people who think no important character dies offscreen, but in this case I buy it. He appeared to be mortally wounded, and he was out in the middle of nowhere with a superjacked leg. Plus, there was a purpose to it playing out that way, with Arya denying him the mercy of a quick death.

inky

So is the Mountain now going to turn into the Frankenstein monster and kill everyone in King's Landing? If that's so it is good that Varys <3 made it out then.

And oh man, is the crown now ripe for the taking without Tywin. I was spoiled about that scene long ago, but it was still sweet. The "all about family dignity" man finding no dignity in his own death.

I love that the show turned into Skyrim for a bit there. I know people probably hated that part, but I thought it was sweet. At least those fucking kids are finally somewhere.

And man, them dragons. Khaleesi losing control of her shit. 5 seasons in, she's gonna rise and fall without ever affecting the plotline in Westeros, lols.

J2d

Good episode though I didn't like Stannis just showing up there and seemingly just walk over 99k wildlings =/ The hound better survive this somehow too, guy deserved better imo.

MutFox

Banned
Normally I'm one of the people who think no important character dies offscreen, but in this case I buy it. He appeared to be mortally wounded, and he was out in the middle of nowhere with a superjacked leg. Plus, there was a purpose to it playing out that way, with Arya denying him the mercy of a quick death.

It's up in the air though,
no one knows...

Who knows, maybe Brienne and Pod help him out...

Ovid

So is Brienne of fucking Tarth a terminator robot or what. Catelyn's dead. Why are you after Arya? Where will you take her? To King's Landing? Her father, brother, mother and aunt are all dead. She is really fucking dumb just like Sandor said. I wished he killed her.

I just didn't get the entire face off. Arya was being a dumb little bitch herself watching Sandor get destroyed. What was her plan? To join Brienne if Sandor died in the duel? Go back to KL with her or the Vale? She just got terribly lucky by slipping away (thx pod you fuck). Some scenes dont really make any sense in this show. People are complaining about Bran skeletor stuff being the low point of the episode, but its this scene in my opinion that was stupid.

She swore an oath to protect her children. If you want to call her a Terminator (from T2) you wouldn't be wrong.

Raynes

What a little fucking shit Arya was. Hound was straight up protecting her the moment they met and even died for her, you'd think she'd understand he changed massively or at least made up for his wrongdoings towards her. She's full evil now I guess, she'll end up dead next season.

potam

Banned
Is there any reason, assuming Manse really is just seeking refuge, that they launched a fucking assault on Castle Black instead of sending an envoy to ask for safe passage?

I mean, I realize the two sides are kind of in a state of constant war, and Manse despises them, but it seems really odd to have that giant battle in episode 9, and then the next morning having him be like "oh, lol, we don't want to fight."

Lautaro

What a little fucking shit Arya was. Hound was straight up protecting her the moment they met and even died for her, you'd think she'd understand he changed massively or at least made up for his wrongdoings. She's full evil now I guess, she'll end up dead next season.

He taught her well.

What I'm most pissed about is that Arya wont get to eat that fat kids direwolf bread. Why didnt Brienne just give it to Arya as proof that shes not a bad person? Dumb dumb

Also, another missed Stark reunion. I knew the Hound / Arya would leave the Bloody Gates but didnt think they would so soon

MutFox

Banned
Just glad Arya is heading to Bravos.
Wanted to see that ever since that assassin from Bravos gave her the coin and phrase... :p

Didn't think it would happen this season.
Was so stoked, then it went to black. :(

Manse seems to be the most reasonable and level headed large political figure on the show.

Also, I loved the skeleton part.

North of the wall is creepy weird magic zone, with unexplainable events. I love that.

Pepiope

Try reading the thread titles, it usually helps.

also this. if you're going to be a dedicated show thread poster, there's a sub feature.
Never understood why the book thread isn't called "A song of Ice and Fire" instead of "Game of Thrones". That could help better differentiate the two threads.

Ovid

I have zero complaints about last night's episode but a couple things came to mind after a good nights rest.

- Couldn't the Brianne/Sandor fight been avoided if she just showed Arya Hot Pie's direwolf bread?

- Where were the giants? Surely, those guys could've wrecked some shit when Stannis arrived.

I'm more excited for Ayra going to Bravos where her trainer Serio was from. We never explicitly see him die, and I'd love it if we get to see more of him.

There is only one thing we say to Death
tumblr_m3dondeKGZ1qcn7bzo2_500.png

Ithil

So what the hell were those skeleton things anyway? Were they wights? or something else?

They were wights, presumably very old ones (hence only skeletons left) that surrounded the tree where the Children were hidden, and eventually just got buried in snow waiting. The White Walkers' magic that animates the corpses into wights doesn't work inside the tree so they just surrounded it.

TheContact

Never understood why the book thread isn't called "A song of Ice and Fire" instead of "Game of Thrones". That could help better differentiate the two threads.

Bc there is a book thread already called a song of ice and fire and it's about just the books. The spoiler thread is a game of thrones show thread for book readers

Vice

Good episode though I didn't like Stannis just showing up there and seemingly just walk over 99k wildlings =/ The hound better survive this somehow too, guy deserved better imo.

The wildlings weren't mounted on horses with full plate armor and military training. Even if they won it would have thinned out the wildling force by a considerable amount.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
What a little fucking shit Arya was. Hound was straight up protecting her the moment they met and even died for her, you'd think she'd understand he changed massively or at least made up for his wrongdoings towards her. She's full evil now I guess, she'll end up dead next season.

I'm enjoying watching her grow as a character. One of the more interesting character arcs in the show.

Also, I thought the Brienne/Hound duel was one of the best in the series. Very tense and I had no idea who would come out alive. Brienne proved she's one seriously tough sonofabitch.

Espi

Banned

Hound was protecting her for money (at least up until last episode before he found out his plan went to shit). Died because he didn't believe Brienne (?) wasn't out for a bounty since she had a Lannister's sword.

No one is protecting anyone in Westeros. No one does things because they're nice and they changed. Just like in the real world, people only do things if it benefits them.

Because, and correct me if I'm wrong, it isn't the book thread. It's the show thread specifically for book readers, so they could talk about the show and what is better/worse/missing/changed/etc. from the books and stuff like that.

TheContact

Hound was protecting her for money. Died because he didn't believe Brienne (?) wasn't out for a bounty since she had a Lannister's sword.

No one is protecting anyone in Westeros. No one does things because they're nice and they changed. Just like in the real world, people only do things if it benefits them.

At first he was out for money but he said it himself: her family is dead. No one is going to pay him for her. I believe he genuinely cared about her and believed him when he said he was protecting her.

Vice

Hound was protecting her for money (at least up until last episode before he found out his plan went to shit). Died because he didn't believe Brienne (?) wasn't out for a bounty since she had a Lannister's sword.

Jojen, Jon Snow, Ser Barristan and Jaime seem to regularly do things just because they're the right thing to do.

Jado

Banned
Jojen, Jon Snow, Ser Barristan and Jaime seem to regularly do things just because they're the right thing to do.

They're in the extreme minority. Barristan only bailed to greener pastures after he was kicked off the Kingsguard, Jaime half-asses "doing the right thing." Agree with Jojen though; apparently knew he would die on that journey and went through with it anyway.

Anyone mad at Arya's behavior after all the "life lessons" the Hound distilled into her hasn't been paying attention.

besada

Banned
Because, and correct me if I'm wrong, it isn't the book thread. It's the show thread specifically for book readers, so they could talk about the show and what is better/worse/missing/changed/etc. from the books and stuff like that.

You are correct and we have no intention of changing it. If you can't tell the difference between the two clearly labeled threads, even with the ability to subscribe, you may have bigger issues than being spoiled.

Lothar

Banned

Maybe it wasn't a smart move for him to remind her of all the bad shit he did as he was laying there.

Same. I wouldn't be sad if she dies now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Arya and Hound bonded some, but he's still the miserable bastard who murdered one of her friends among countless other people. Even if he was protecting her, he was still her captor. It's not like they were just hanging out. I don't think she's evil so much as growing increasingly amoral.

He taught her well.
And there it is! Or, fuck it..cunty bitch! I hope you're murdered and raped by gremlins..lol. Not a fan of seeing the hound go, but yeah, not sure he's really owed anything. Episode was great. Jamie is an awesome brother. Worried for Snow, now that smoke crotch is giving him the full of terror eyes.

Guessing Kings Landing is gonna be a mess, now that pops is gone..gonna be a long wait. Killed on father's day, and not a fuck was given.
tumblr_m3bck9F7iE1qkyhuao5_r1_250.gif

Arya and Hound bonded some, but he's still the miserable bastard who murdered one of her friends among countless other people. Even if he was protecting her, he was still her captor. It's not like they were just hanging out. I don't think she's evil so much as growing increasingly amoral.
Though I didn't like the scene at all, I still don't think Ayra leaving him there was a slight against the Hound. As the Hound taught her earlier "He'll be dead come winter. He's weak, can't protect himself, and be dead by winter. And dead men don't need silver". They actually bonded so closely that the Hound was the first one she refused to scratch off her list when given the option.

I just hate how quiet and speechless Ayra was during that final scene. I don't know what they were going for, but it was very unlike her character---and it bored the Hell out of me. It felt like they were trying too hard. I just don't know what they were trying for.

terrene

Banned
I literally loled at the shot of Dany turning around with the actress's face obviously splashed with water. Her "struggle" with that decision had zero impact for me.

"Breaker of chains" my ass.

I think at this point the Hound did become her protector, because really there is no longer any family left who would pay ransom for her.
But Arya is at this point so damaged emotionally she no longer can form normal human bonds. They only people she cares about now are her family, and the only family she (believes) she has left is Jon. That's why the first place she asks the captain to take her is the Wall.

MutFox

Banned
I literally loled at the shot of Dany turning around with the actress's face obviously splashed with water. Her "struggle" with that decision had zero impact for me.

Yeah, usually actors become better over the years, she's going in reverse... :|

Avinexus

I think at this point the Hound did become her protector, because really there is no longer any family left who would pay ransom for her.
But Arya is at this point so damaged emotionally she no longer can form normal human bonds. They only people she cares about now are her family, and the only family she (believes) she has left is Jon. That's why the first place she asks the captain to take her is the Wall.

Does she not know Sansa is alive?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Does she not know Sansa is alive?

I don't think she has any reason believe otherwise. I feel like that's the one thing that Brienne could have said to convince her to join up, considering she and Pod were originally on the lookout for Sansa.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit

As a dog lover, that shit struck a chord with me. I hate seeing any animal that doesn't have the ability to reason or understand whats happening to it being chained or harmed, even if they're dangerous.

Addi

It was expected for him to end in Carcosa to join the covenant of some root wizard.

Haha! The only thing I was thinking about during that scene was what the hell that place was called again

It would be hilarious if the change The Mountain undergoes turns him into a nice well mannered guy.

I can't imagine him turning more fucked up than he already is.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe he will turn super intellectual and become Little finger's nemesis.

Nice episode :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom