• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopper

Would someone be interested in creating a new thread to talk about the differences between the books and the TV series UNTIL that point and not further?
I really would like to know how book readers imagined things in their head compared to the TV show without being spoiled with future plot points. I'm a junior! :p Thanks!
Yeah. I would. I've just finished the fourth book, and would love to chat about the comparisons up to this point, but am terrified that someone's gonna jump in and start talking about stuff we don't need to know yet.

It's difficult, because whilst the majority of incidents in the show have been covered by the end of the fourth book, there are actually a couple that don't happen until the fifth, so there is a conflict of interest there.

It's a minefield. The only solution is to plough through all the books and join the other thread!

KooopaKid

Banned
Yeah. I would. I've just finished the fourth book, and would love to chat about the comparisons up to this point, but am terrified that someone's gonna jump in and start talking about stuff we don't need to know yet.

It's difficult, because whilst the majority of incidents in the show have been covered by the end of the fourth book, there are actually a couple that don't happen until the fifth, so there is a conflict of interest there.

It's a minefield. The only solution is to plough through all the books and join the other thread!

Yes it's a minefield! Did someone ever spoiled something major in the NON-BOOK READERS thread? If not, I think I can take the risk. The ComicBookGirl channel is nice but she also spends a lot of time explaining things and giving her opinion about character actions. I'm just interested in hearing the differences. I read up until the second book, liked the first one, but found the second one boring with way too many pages but little actual plot advancement. I'll going to stick with the TV series.

Rorschach

Why does Arya wants to kill that Payne guy? Wasn't he just doing his job?

So was the hound. I think she thought he took joy in it. Plus he stole the family sword.

She's adding too many names to the list, btw. It was cool when she had a set of names to carry with her. The only ones she should have added were Walder Frey and Roose Bolton IMO.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Yes it's a minefield! Did someone ever spoiled something major in the NON-BOOK READERS thread? If not, I think I can take the risk.
Yes, the Red Wedding was spoiled last year a week before the episode aired. Some people are just stupid.

I imagine the idea of filming unsuspecting peoples reactions was something bandied about prior to the airing, since the idea of doing that really seem to take off with GOT. Maybe people picked up something big was going to happen. Did GOT start that kind of viral reactionary videos to TV?

Deitus

Really? Intentionally? Or just mentionning the term Red Wedding?

I wasn't reading this thread at the time, so I don't know what happened, but just mentioning the term Red Wedding is a big spoiler.

I do know that there have been a number of people speculating about where the story will go, whose predictions were so eerily accurate that it was very likely they had read the book and were only pretending to speculate.

I do know that there have been a number of people speculating about where the story will go, whose predictions were so eerily accurate that it was very likely they had read the book and were only pretending to speculate.

This doesn't bother me, because people would blatantly do it. What bothers me is when people jump around and point at it informing everyone its a spoiler.

South Park handled this beautifully, because their parody of GRR says "and this is the scene where Joffrey gets poisoned". It flies over peoples heads expecting a joke, and people who read the books get a kick out of it.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Speaking of The Hound,
I refuse to believe he died on that hill.

I refuse to believe that someone's definitely dead unless we fully saw them die onscreen, mainly because I'm crossing all my fingers that Arya will get to Bravos and find Syrio there.

televator

So was the hound. I think she thought he took joy in it. Plus he stole the family sword.

She's adding too many names to the list, btw. It was cool when she had a set of names to carry with her. The only ones she should have added were Walder Frey and Roose Bolton IMO.

Kill Bill assassination rules. Kill everyone at a wedding. Even the preacher and the dude playing the piano.

I'm confused... I thought this covered book 3 with a few incidents from book 4 & book 5 implemented into it. I think something was left out of book 3 which has the book readers going into rage mode, everyone should make sure NOT to watch IGN videos. I started watching a video of them explaining episode 10 and they mentioned some name and I quickly closed it off. I forgot the name now thankfully, but thank you IGN for being a bunch of ignorant, inconsiderate twats. So just a heads up, don't bother watching the videos.

Luke Karmali if you're reading this,
post-44145-Sansa-Slaps-Robin--Talk-Shit-G-JEAQ.gif

Deitus

This doesn't bother me, because people would blatantly do it. What bothers me is when people jump around and point at it informing everyone its a spoiler.

South Park handled this beautifully, because their parody of GRR says "and this is the scene where Joffrey gets poisoned". It flies over peoples heads expecting a joke, and people who read the books get a kick out of it.

I think in the context of South Park it worked because it was thrown in their with a bunch of nonsense about floppy wieners. There was no reason to believe any of it was true.

On an individual basis, someone posting a spoiler under the guise of speculation probably isn't going to ruin anything because you have no reason to believe their "speculation" is any more true than any one else in the thread (though it might make a complete out of left field surprise not so surprising). But if the same person did it multiple times, or if multiple people were doing it, it would be hard to just pass off as speculation.

Yonafunu

I'm confused... I thought this covered book 3 with a few incidents from book 4 & book 5 implemented into it. I think something was left out of book 3 which has the book readers going into rage mode, everyone should make sure NOT to watch IGN videos. I started watching a video of them explaining episode 10 and they mentioned some name and I quickly closed it off. I forgot the name now thankfully, but thank you IGN for being a bunch of ignorant, inconsiderate twats. So just a heads up, don't bother watching the videos.

This is right, but it's a bit more complicated. Some arcs are in book 4 and 5 territory. However, it's good to know that 4 and 5 run parallel, but follow different characters.
So it's not all as clear cut anymore.

I remember back in 2011, around the time Drogo's neck wound got infected, some junior posted something along the lines of "So this means Rob, Ned, and Drogo are all dead?", with Rob being a truncated version of Robert. Ignoring all context, a mob of book readers mistakenly jumped on the guy for spoiling Robb's death, got him banned and inadvertently spoiled every show watcher who happened to be on at that time(including the original poster).

That was such a shameful display by book readers.

turtle553

One big problem with Dany is that she never interacts with any of the other major characters. It is either an adviser or just some one off character complaining. All the other characters get to have awesome scenes with each other (Tyrion with Sansa, Jamie, Tywin, Verys, etc.) In season 1 she seemed like more or a normal person with Drogo.

It seems similar to January Jones on Mad Men. Hard to tell if it is the actress or the part.

I dunno, the South Park spoiler really annoyed me. The instant they said it, that stuck in my mind and as soon as the wedding was happening I was just waiting for Joffrey to be poisoned. Whether it happened or not, they put the idea in my head and I looked at the whole episode through the lense of "this is probably going to happen, isn't it..."

And then it did and the impact was completely gone for me.

Kind of sucks that I got both Robb and Joffrey spoiled for me

I really want to power through and just read the books so nothing else gets ruined for me...

KooopaKid

Banned
I remember back in 2011, around the time Drogo's neck wound got infected, some junior posted something along the lines of "So this means Rob, Ned, and Drogo are all dead?", with Rob being a truncated version of Robert. Ignoring all context, a mob of book readers mistakenly jumped on the guy for spoiling Robb's death, got him banned and inadvertently spoiled every show watcher who happened to be on at that time(including the original poster).

Intentionally. The guy literally came in and was like LOL ROBB DIES NEXT EPISODE

Naturally of course, I had to see it before mods got to the person

Yeah so it really is a minefield. I remember people guessing about Sansa's necklace. How can you guess that?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah so it really is a minefield. I remember people guessing about Sansa's necklace. How can you guess that?

Well, there were screencaps that clearly showed Granny Tyrell up to something and more importantly, Sansa's necklace losing a piece. Of course, those screencaps might have been made by a book reader under the guise of speculation, but it was all telegraphed in a way that a non-book reader could have caught on to.

Yeah, but to be honest, between the mods and the general group of people in this thread, it is probably one of the best places you can go if you want to talk about the show without fear of spoilers. The mods do an excellent job and there are a lot of smart regular users here that pick up on those "amazing" guessers and such. No place is going to be perfect and theres no way you are ever going to stop a random junior from just account suiciding to ruin people's day, but overall this is one of the safer places.

Side note, I was at the beach with friends a couple weekends ago, and my one friend was trying to nap and ended up overhearing the entire plot up to the most current book because some girl was blabbing to some guy about knowing everything thats going to happen. He said he was trying so hard to block it out but he was just too tired and heard everything. Luckily, none of it crossed my ears

Soule

Ah man I love sharing in the reactions of stuff in here but every time I hear a story like this or I see a sketchy prediction/speculation I instantly remember why I don't visit so often.

How can you guess that?

Yep. Looking back on it, majority of people who said something was up with granny Tyrell looking at Sansa's necklace probably knew what they were talking about. That scene didn't even register with me until people started making a big deal about it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

i know contact is never actually made but the hand is soooooooooooo far from the face.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

o wow

S4 is the second half of the third book, plus multiple arcs from the fourth and fifth books. Books 4 and 5 pretty much cover the same period of time, just focus on different regions of Westeros and Essos.

dLMN8R

It's just as bad as people who jump on previous of movies based on books they read and complain that the previews spoil the entire movie.

Like the Ender's Game preview. Everyone complaining about the preview were people who read the books and assumed that people could instantly understand the context of the preview, therefore "SPOILERS DURR!!"

Everyone who hadn't read the books just saw a series of flashy scenes they probably forgot minutes later. It's only a "spoiler" for people who already understand the context of what they're seeing.

Same thing happened with the previews of this latest season of Game of Thrones, actually. I saw a bunch of book readers complaining that the season previews spoiled the show, but all I saw were a bunch of cool looking scenes. Thinking back on it now, I can't remember anything from this season of Game of Thrones that was spoiled by the previews to the season.

It's just as bad as people who jump on previous of movies based on books they read and complain that the previews spoil the entire movie.

Like the Ender's Game preview. Everyone complaining about the preview were people who read the books and assumed that people could instantly understand the context of the preview, therefore "SPOILERS DURR!!"

Everyone who hadn't read the books just saw a series of flashy scenes they probably forgot minutes later. It's only a "spoiler" for people who already understand the context of what they're seeing.

Same thing happened with the previews of this latest season of Game of Thrones, actually. I saw a bunch of book readers complaining that the season previews spoiled the show, but all I saw were a bunch of cool looking scenes. Thinking back on it now, I can't remember anything from this season of Game of Thrones that was spoiled by the previews to the season.
Oberyn being Tyrion's champion was heavily hinted. It shows him in some armor kissing his lovely lady, so my assumption is either he is Tyrion's champion.. or there's two battles since Tywin promised Oberyn The Mountain. I thought that first is the likely situation, while the second option would be something like Jaime vs Bron fighting one another and then after that, The Mountain vs Oberyn Martell. Really irritated to be honest, since Game of Thrones doesn't need to do that "here's the story in the trailer to overshadow how shite our storytelling is going to be" that 90% of the movies go for.

Nameless

This season had countless big moments and I avoided being spoiled on all of them. I was however spoiled on two things that haven't happened yet. One is major and something I wouldn't have guessed, the other is minor and something I assumed already. Both were dropped by book reader friends.

Rankings spoiler threats in my experience :

1. Previouly on Game of Thrones highlights
2. Asshole friends

3. The Internet

4. GAF

The 'Previouly on' clips are the absolute worst. If a GAFer dropped that sort of info before an episode they'd be banned, and rightfully so. They give away character returns, chance interactions, and depending on the scene(s) that are recapped and the what's currently going in the story, they'll even spell out exactly how things will play out. For example I expected the Arya/Hound break up in the finale, and I knew there was no chance Arya would go with Brienne since there was clearly an encounter a Bravoosi coming thanks to recap showing that last scene with Jaqen from two seasons ago. It was also clear those two groups would converge since the recap also focused on Brienne 's vows to protect the Stark girls.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The 'Previouly on' clips are the absolute worst. If a GAFer dropped that sort of info before an episode they'd be banned, and rightfully so. They give away character returns, chance interactions, and depending on the scene(s) that are recapped and the what's currently going in the story, they'll even spell out exactly how things will play out. For example I expected the Arya/Hound break up in the finale, and I knew there was no chance Arya would go with Brienne since there was clearly an encounter a Bravoosi coming thanks to recap showing that last scene with Jaqen from two seasons ago. It was also clear those two groups would converge since the recap also focused on Brienne 's vows to protect the Stark girls.

Yup. The last 'previously on' clip spoiled half of episode 10. Terrible.

dLMN8R

Oberyn being Tyrion's champion was heavily hinted. It shows him in some armor kissing his lovely lady, so my assumption is either he is Tyrion's champion.. or there's two battles since Tywin promised Oberyn The Mountain. I thought that first is the likely situation, while the second option would be something like Jaime vs Bron fighting one another and then after that, The Mountain vs Oberyn Martell. Really irritated to be honest, since Game of Thrones doesn't need to do that "here's the story in the trailer to overshadow how shite our storytelling is going to be" that 90% of the movies go for.

That's great and all, but when I watched the preview I had literally zero idea of who Oberyn was, why he would be a "champion", or anything else. I have a strong feeling that the only people who saw those new characters and situations in the previews were people who already knew exactly what to expect from those new characters and situations.

That's great and all, but when I watched the preview I had literally zero idea of who Oberyn was, why he would be a "champion", or anything else. I have a strong feeling that the only people who saw those new characters and situations in the previews were people who already knew exactly what to expect from those new characters and situations.
I didn't either, and I am not a book reader. However when I found out there would be a trial, I assumed trial by combat as an option and instantly assumed Oberyn would be the one.. or option B as stated above. The show spoiled that for me, which kind of pissed me off.

Rewatching the conversation between Tyrion and Bronn where they talk about the Mountain.

Bronn says "One misstep *snaps fingers* and i'm dead".

That is literally what ended up happening to Oberyn.

I've made the same observation, actually. Emilia Clarke does a solid job most of the time, yet so many people here seem allergic to her merely speaking. The scene where Dany exiles Jorah? I felt she did a pretty good job there, one of the better examples of her skill, but apparently it was poor-awful according to a number of people here. The scene where Dany locks up her dragons? Again, she executed that quite nicely, but all some people could think when they saw her tearful expression was "lol @ the splash of water.".
While Dany is one of my least favorite characters, her acting has never bothered me. Both of the scenes you mentioned I thought were great. I think there is something awkward in the way she delivers her grand speeches, like it sounds fake or something. But I've never thought of it as bad acting---it has always sounded to me like a woman trying to find her voice. Dany says some pretty epic shit here and there, but that really isn't who she is. Not yet anyway. She comes off to me like someone who is greatly conflicted---between the kind, innocent Dany who simply wants to go home and the Dany who wants to lead an army and "save" the world. I might be putting way too much into this, and I'm probably not getting my thoughts across well here.

I dunno, the South Park spoiler really annoyed me. The instant they said it, that stuck in my mind and as soon as the wedding was happening I was just waiting for Joffrey to be poisoned. Whether it happened or not, they put the idea in my head and I looked at the whole episode through the lense of "this is probably going to happen, isn't it..."

And then it did and the impact was completely gone for me.

Kind of sucks that I got both Robb and Joffrey spoiled for me

I really want to power through and just read the books so nothing else gets ruined for me...
Joffrey's death was plastered on yahoo.com the Monday after the episode aired---right there front page. And for Season 3, I didn't watch a single episode until it had all aired. But before I started watching, MSN.com had an article "Who died in Game of Thrones this season?" with a picture of Ayra. "You have got to be shitting me!" I was pissed. Luckily she never died, and the picture there was just acting as clickbait, but it soured my viewing of season 3 because I kept waiting for her death.
From what I hear the last two books aren't very good, so I'm glad the show is branching away from the books.
Ugh. Come on. No one wants to hear this.

pel1300

Ugh. Come on. No one wants to hear this.

Ok fine. But really, GRRM is taking way too long to write the books and the show will have to do it's own thing for the story to continue.

I read an interview where GRRM says he won't be pleased if this happens, but come on man, what do you expect the show to do? stretch each book into three seasons or let the kid actors all grow up before filming the later seasons?

I don't read the books, but I'm already kind of sick of GRRM's style...I feel that he kind of takes it too far, kind of reminds me of 24 where it became predictable in it's unpredictability.

Yesterday sucked, I completely forgot the season already ended. It's going to take a while to get that 9pm est Sunday alarm out of my system.

KorrZ

I actually almost got spoiled for the Red Wedding, but it actually worked to surprise me way more.

Basically a guy at work told me that Joffrey's wedding was called the "Red Wedding" so when the Frey wedding happened I was not expecting anything to happen at all, which made it way more shocking.

Yesterday sucked, I completely forgot the season already ended. It's going to take a while to get that 9pm est Sunday alarm out of my system.

Same here, I spent my night watching The Pacific since I'm still subscribed to HBO for a while longer until I cancel it until next season. It helped, but the void is real.

I actually almost got spoiled for the Red Wedding, but it actually worked to surprise me way more.

Basically a guy at work told me that Joffrey's wedding was called the "Red Wedding" so when the Frey wedding happened I was not expecting anything to happen at all, which made it way more shocking.
yeah, I only started watching the show back in January, and the "Red Wedding" had been everywhere prior to that. I assumed it would be at Joffrey's wedding since the Tyrells seemed pretty shifty. I might not have predicted his death if I hadn't been spoiled on the red wedding. Anyway, when the actual red wedding occured in the third season, I only knew shit was about to turn nasty 1 - 2 seconds before the show explicitly shows things are fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom