• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramyeon

Nope. Just watched it again. Tyrian does look at Olenna Tyrell after grabbing the cup a final time before the poisoning. I don't know how Olenna Tyrell could have done it without getting caught. Margaery Tyrell could have done it though.
There's a point where Margaery places the cup on the table just across from Olenna. It is not unlikely that Olenna could have slipped it in while pretending to do something else.

I've said it a lot but I'll say it again, I just cannot find motivation for Margaery to murder Joffrey considering what we've seen of her character in the past. More than anything she wants to be a Queen - so much so that she married Renly, a man who was quite clearly way more into her bother Loras than her. This is the second time she's married a King and had him die on her before the marriage was properly consummated. I don't think that's what she wants. While she clearly thinks Joffrey is a bit of a prat, she has him around her finger most of the time, she's even been doing stuff to make his image better like the announcement they would give all the leftovers to the poor people in the city after the wedding feast.

Nameless

Nope. Just watched it again. Tyrian does look at Olenna Tyrell after grabbing the cup a final time before the poisoning. I don't know how Olenna Tyrell could have done it without getting caught. Margaery Tyrell could have done it though.

cYzHX5r.gif

T6nAcw3.gif

There's a point where Margaery places the cup on the table just across from Olenna. It is not unlikely that Olenna could have slipped it in while pretending to do something else.

I've said it a lot but I'll say it again, I just cannot find motivation for Margaery to murder Joffrey considering what we've seen of her character in the past. More than anything she wants to be a Queen - so much so that she married Renly, a man who was quite clearly way more into her bother Loras than her. This is the second time she's married a King and had him die on her before the marriage was properly consummated. I don't think that's what she wants. While she clearly thinks Joffrey is a bit of a prat, she has him around her finger most of the time, she's even been doing stuff to make his image better like the announcement they would give all the leftovers to the poor people in the city after the wedding feast.

Have to say I agree with this. Idk. If the kill had come from her House, I think she was not involved in it. Timing was super awk, too.

Blader

I guess I'm confused on the line of succession here, but isn't Margaery queen anyway? She and Joffrey were married. With him dead, doesn't that put her on the throne?

Brashnir

I guess I'm confused on the line of succession here, but isn't Margaery queen anyway? She and Joffrey were married. With him dead, doesn't that put her on the throne?

Joffrey has a younger brother, Tommen. Men always take precedence in succession.

Rewatching, it needs to be pointed out how much better that fight that ended the episode was than anything that's been done in the show. Maybe it was due to the close quarters obscuring how shit most the people are at swordfighting, or maybe everyone's actually gotten better, but it was one of the few times with the series I've seen a fight and not been immediately distracted by its low quality.

Just watching now, did anyone notice that when the Hound sat down he began unfastening his straps to prepare for the close quarter combat coming up.

ramyeon

Marriage wasn't consummated. Same thing that happened to her with Renly when he died before they could sleep together, which was actually weeks after their marriage since he was gay and sleeping with Loras and not her.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't delve into too much speculation but there's no doubt that the drunkard/fool and the necklace have some significance in the events that transpired. It's funny seeing his scene in s2-1, who would have known he'd end up (probably) being involved in the murder of the king in a later episode. This show twists and turns a lot, but it always feels carefully plotted out, rather than randomness for shock value. I guess you can thank the quality source material for that.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Stannis sucks so bad. He comes across as an incompetent thumb-twiddling cult banger and has done next to nawt since the shitty attack on Kings Landing.

Mama Tyrell made a mention to this Iron Bank to Tywin when they were talking. I wouldn't be surprised if the leaders of this bank were the true powers of Westeros. Especially if the Lannisters are so far in to debt, going by Tyrion's records last season (I think it was then when he checked the family finances). Not even the Lannisters would be untouchable if they don't pay their literal debts. :p

I thought the Crown was in debt to the Iron Bank (and to the Lannisters).

Daenerys seems pretty clear to be an end-game event (either invading before Winter arrives, and then her and any remaining individuals are faced with the threat from the North, or invading after and left to tackle a much fiercer foe than she anticipated) but I am finding her plot increasingly frustrating. Surely she is in a position right now to invade Westeros; she has three dragons, she has lieutenants, she has an army, and presumably she has wealth? I can understand why she's become side-tracked by her current vendetta against slavery but I must admit it feels like she's being dragged from A to B to C to D so that, eventually, the plot elsewhere is ready for her to invade.

Napoleon had a formidable army, and had designs to invade Britain. Those dreams were dashed when the Brits sank what little of a navy he had, and as I result, he decided on a grand continental campaign instead. Simply having the best army in the world will do you no good, if you lack the means to get them from point A to B.

Mmmmm dat look.

I like this one better lol

She wants him dead, no doubt in my mind. Throw me in with the #TyrellsKilledJof lot.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think Lena is a really good actress. I've enjoyed her in the few movies/television I've seen her in.

What I liked about Sunday's episode are the differences between Catelyn's and Cerseis reactions to their boys dying.

With Cat, it was complete, utter despair, a mother who, despite her flaws, holds so much love in her heart for her children. Cersei, on the other hand, is so full of rage and malice, that her grief over losing her son isn't even the first emotion that comes to the front.

I think it was fine acting on her part, and fit the character of Cersei very well. She was a good choice for Cersei, and I can't really think of another actress in her age range that I'd rather have in the role.

I can't figure Marge out. She is obviously uncomfortable with a lot that Joffrey did, but she seemed like the type who would want to become queen at any cost. It's hard to imagine her jeopardizing that. She did not seem to bear any ill will towards Renly, but she never seemed that attached since he was only a means to an end.

I think Lena is a really good actress. I've enjoyed her in the few movies/television I've seen her in.

What I liked about Sunday's episode are the differences between Catelyn's and Cerseis reactions to their boys dying.

With Cat, it was complete, utter despair, a mother who, despite her flaws, holds so much love in her heart for her children. Cersei, on the other hand, is so full of rage and malice, that her grief over losing her son isn't even the first emotion that comes to the front.

I think it was fine acting on her part, and fit the character of Cersei very well. She was a good choice for Cersei, and I can't really think of another actress in her age range that I'd rather have in the role.

Eh, she also slit the throat of an innocent girl before she was killed.

Dany's army still needs ship btw

It would seem she also needs a significantly larger army, in order take Westeros in a "semi-clean" manner (not using the dragons to burn nearly every city).

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Whats the source of her dancing?

From a few pages back.

It would seem she also needs a significantly larger army, in order take Westeros in a "semi-clean" manner (not using the dragons to burn nearly every city).

I'd take 10,000 Unsullied over any army Westeros could field. Those guys are trained to fight, to not be afraid, to obey, and to not give a fuck. Throw in dragons and it's "checkmate usurpers"

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I can't figure Marge out. She is obviously uncomfortable with a lot that Joffrey did, but she seemed like the type who would want to become queen at any cost. It's hard to imagine her jeopardizing that. She did not seem to bear any ill will towards Renly, but she never seemed that attached since he was only a means to an end.
She's a player, for sure. But I don't see what her motive would be in the orchestration of the assassination, considering she wasn't even queen yet. She may be just a pawn, though.

Volimar

What I wonder is, was she visiting the poor because she cared, or because she wanted to look good in the eyes of the people?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Eh, she also slit the throat of an innocent girl before she was killed.

True, but I'm referring to her immediate reaction to seeing Rob die. What she did afterwards, in my opinion, was the madness of grief, and fair game. While I've never seen a loved one die violently in front of me, I've had a loved one die violently, and those emotions are quite strong and blinding.

Cersei was just so damn cold and collected, but I feel it was an intentional part on the director/actress, not a fault of Lena's acting.

She's a player, for sure. But I don't see what her motive would be in the orchestration of the assassination, considering she wasn't even queen yet. She may be just a pawn, though.
Right. I mean, I don't know how strong her sense of filial piety is (since I can't shake the feeling that there's a high probability of Olenna being involved), but I feel like she would have waited if she were involved.

ramyeon

What I wonder is, was she visiting the poor because she cared, or because she wanted to look good in the eyes of the people?
Can't it be a bit of both? I mean she was going to be Queen of a Kingdom that loathed their King. Undoubtedly a bit of it was her trying to get the public back on their side but it's not impossible that she actually cared for them as well.

I really think she was expecting me be Joffrey's Queen and was trying her hardest to improve his/their image.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping to see Joffrey eaten alive by a Dragon to be honest. I bet by the time Dany gets across the narrow sea somebody likable will be the new king so we don't feel good about dragons destroying shit.

Phreak47

<--- Has not read books

The Tyrell/Necklace gifs seem pretty convincing. Dat slight of hand pulling off dat crystal (dat) I didn't notice.

Dat Jester giving it to her. Dat Jester popping up behind Sansa telling her "time to GTFO."

DAT THEORY

Nameless

She is shit. Completely one dimensional, the I-just-smelled-a-fart expression never leaves her face.

King's Landing is notorious for the stench...

I couldn't disagree more about her being one dimensional, though. Headey has range for days, months even. Making a sympathetic character out of a spiteful brotherfucking mother of a psychopath is a difficult thing to do and Lena has done it masterfully-- highlighting the emotional and social complexities of those relationships with care and authenticity.

-Dance
-Gleeson
-Williams
-Dinklage
-Headey

Those are the 5 best performances on an absolutely stacked show.

Phreak47

Also: looking forward to the arc with Theon, his "Master", and heading out to look for Bran and Co. Lots of possibilities there. Lots of vengeance and/or redemption possible.

Brashnir

Also: looking forward to the arc with Theon, his "Master", and heading out to look for Bran and Co. Lots of possibilities there. Lots of vengeance and/or redemption possible.

Ramsay and Theon/Reek are heading toward Moat Cailin to take it back from the Greyjoys. It's Locke who is heading after Bran.

The only time the people in Westeros have mentioned the Targaryens is in the first season, and they haven't mentioned her since. Surely word would have reached them about the 100,000+ Unsullied army and three fucking dragons that thousands of people have now seen?

Cyan

Banned
The only time the people in Westeros have mentioned the Targaryens is in the first season, and they haven't mentioned her since. Surely word would have reached them about the 100,000+ Unsullied army and three fucking dragons that thousands of people have now seen?

They know about them. Pretty sure the Joff mentioned it to Tywin last season and got patted on the head and sent to bed.

And Varys is definitely concerned.

agrajag

Banned
King's Landing is notorious for the stench...

I couldn't disagree more about her being one dimensional, though. Headey has range for days, months even. Making a sympathetic character out of a spiteful brotherfucking mother of a psychopath is a difficult thing to do and Lena has done it masterfully-- highlighting the emotional and social complexities of those relationships with care and authenticity.

-Dance
-Gleeson
-Williams
-Dinklage
-Headey

Those are the 5 best performances on an absolutely stacked show.

Lol, there's not a single thing about her portrayal of Cersei that inspires sympathy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Speaking of Theon, this show has a way of making you sympathize with loathsome people. See also: J. Lannister. I hated Theon for his betrayal of the Starks (even if his motivation was understandable) but it's kinda hard seeing him as a subservient, dickless pet. Especially after seeing his reaction to Robb's death, he still has some humanity in him.

I hope he gets some redemption in the form of bloody revenge. I can see him turning on Ramsay at the last moment and saving the Stark boy.

puebla

When Cersei pointed out Shay at the wedding to Tywin, what did he reply back to her? Something about before the wedding??

Mr.Mike

Surely a large number of people would pledge allegiance to her once she arrives in order to be on the winning side in the upcoming war, with only a few arrogant houses left fighting against her. I suspect by the time she arrives all eyes will be on the North and the whitewalkers, with people flocking to her to save them.

Nameless

Lol, there's not a single thing about her portrayal of Cersei that inspires sympathy.

As someone with a Tyrion avatar I don't see how you could say that, since many of her more sympathetic moments came as she confided in him. Look, I get it, she's a cunt and you don't like her, but she's a cunt with emotional depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom