• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

A fraud? Did you guys forget the shadow baby in season 2?

Drinking poison, visions coming to pass, shadow baby, telling Methos about his death, knowing exactly where Gendry was, usurper curse. Her motives likely extend beyond what she's led Stannis to believe, but she's is legit.

StuBurns

Banned
She was in charge, but that was before Tywin Lannister returned to Kings Landing and essentially cut her off from making any real decisions.
I just mean officially within the legal rules of succession and position within their royal family.

Tywin is basically ruling, and he was before Joffrey became King too, but what I mean is, was Cersei Queen Regent until Joffrey became King, then she became Queen Consort until the wedding, now she's not Queen at all presumably, is that right?

ramyeon

I just mean officially within the legal rules of succession and position within their royal family.

Tywin is basically ruling, and he was before Joffrey became King too, but what I mean is, was Cersei Queen Regent until Joffrey became King, then she became Queen Consort until the wedding, now she's not Queen at all presumably, is that right?
Cersei would be Queen Regent again because Joffrey is dead and next in line is Tommen who is too young to rule.

Chuckie

Tywins rule is not official. He is 'merely' Hand of the King (But we all know he does in fact rule)

Cersei was Queen Consort when married to Robert, became Queen Regent when he died (and Joffrey wasn't of age) When Joffrey came of age Cersei became Queen Dowager. With Joffrey dead, she is Queen Regent again.

StuBurns

Banned
Cersei was Queen Consort when married to Robert, became Queen Regent when he died (and Joffrey wasn't of age) When Joffrey came of age Cersei should actually be called princess again. With Joffrey dead, she is 'promoted' from princess to Queen Regent again.
This is the bit I'm not getting, no one did that. Logically I would have thought that's what should have happened, but I don't think it did, they even talked about her only just losing her Queen-ship because of the wedding in the last episode.

Chuckie

This is the bit I'm not getting, no one did that. Logically I would have thought that's what should have happened, but I don't think it did, they even talked about her only just losing her Queen-ship because of the wedding in the last episode.

I edited it. In Holland an ex-queen is a princess again..but appearantly there is also the title Queen Dowager...who is a widow of a king. (also named queen mother)

Edit again: yeah her 'losing' her queen-ship because of Margery does not make sense at all. She lost that when Joffrey came of age.

Cersei was Queen Regent from the point of King Robert's death to King Joffrey's marriage to Margaery Tyrell. She was calling all the shots after the death of King Robert, but because her son, Joffrey, was an uncontrollable lunatic who said "Fuck all this waiting until I come of age bullshit," she had to yield some of that power to him. For example, Cersei, as Queen Regent, orchestrated the imprisonment of Ned Stark; she "retired" Barristan Selmy as captain of the Kingsguard; she received full credit for the defense of Kings Landing against Stannis (when it was Tyrion that deserved it). Once Tywin Lannister returned to Kings Landing, her portion of the power as Queen Regent shrunk significantly, as now the throne's power was split 3 ways, with a majority of it going to her father.

In the scene where Tywin Lannister was instructing his children to marry Sansa Stark and Ser Loras, Cersei said, "I am Queen Regent, not some broodmare."

StuBurns

Banned
Cersei was Queen Regent from the point of King Robert's death to King Joffrey's marriage to Margaery Tyrell. She was calling all the shots after the death of King Robert, but because her son, Joffrey, was an uncontrollable lunatic, she had to yield some of that power to him. For example, Cersei, as Queen Regent, orchestrated the imprisonment of Ned Stark; she "retired" Barristan Selmy as captain of the Kingsguard; she received full credit for the defense of Kings Landing against Stannis (when it was Tyrion that deserved it). Once Tywin Lannister returned to Kings Landing, her portion of the power as Queen Regent shrunk significantly, as now the throne's power was split 3 ways, with a majority of it going to her father.

You're talking about the practical model of power within the family, I'm talking about just the legal designation of Cersei.

It doesn't matter what her practical role within the Kingdom is in regards to her title, or at least it shouldn't.

I don't see why the marriage is what removed her being Queen (or what would have had he not died). Joffrey's ascension to the throne should have done it.

Chuckie

You're talking about the practical model of power within the family, I'm talking about just the legal designation of Cersei.

It doesn't matter what her practical role within the Kingdom is in regards to her title, or at least it shouldn't.

I don't see why the marriage is what removed her being Queen (or what would have had he not died). Joffrey's ascension to the throne should have done it.

I think you are right.

Before Roberts death: Queen Consort
After Roberts death: Queen Regent
When Joffrey came of age: Queen Dowager

She already lost the Queen Regent title. The only thing I wonder is what are the titles now?
I think Tommen is King, Cersei is Queen Regent again and Margaery is Queen Dowager, unless it doesn't count at all because the marriage wasn't consumated.

Also I don't think Cersei was worried about titles when Margaery married Joffrey but rather worried about the influence she had on him. She was in power (by controlling Joff) and saw that another woman had such power over him.

I don't think Joffrey came of age, so he wasn't officially the king, more like king-in-waiting which necessitated Cersei's queen regent status. Remember, King Robert left Ned with the responsibility to take over as interim ruler until Joffrey came of age. When Cersei ripped the notice and declared Joffrey the lawful king, she not only removed Ned from the equation but her action would also inadvertently undermine her own authority as queen regent, since Joffrey's premature ascension to king precluded the need to have a queen regent. The problem is, she never recognized the demotion., as made evident by the fact that she referred to herself as queen regent even after Joffrey's ascension.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think Joffrey came of age, so he wasn't officially the king, more like king-in-waiting which necessitated Cersei's queen of regent status. Remember, King Robert left Ned with the responsibility to take over as interim ruler until Joffrey came of age. When Cersei ripped the notice and declared Joffrey the lawful king, she not only removed Ned from the equation but her action would also inadvertently undermine her own authority as queen regent, since Joffrey's premature ascension to king precluded the need to have a queen regent. The problem is, she never recognized the demotion.
Oh, so the wedding was actually just aligned to the date of the beginning of his real reign as King, so it wasn't the wedding that ended her time as Queen Regent (or would have), it was the date because he was about to take over for real.

That would make sense if that's the case, thanks.

It will be interesting to see if Joff's death brings joy to any of the remaining Starks, or if they will be un-phased by it, as if it is just a small pebble in a larger problem.

Chuckie

I don't think Joffrey came of age, so he wasn't officially the king, more like king-in-waiting which necessitated Cersei's queen regent status. Remember, King Robert left Ned with the responsibility to take over as interim ruler until Joffrey came of age. When Cersei ripped the notice and declared Joffrey the lawful king, she not only removed Ned from the equation but her action would also inadvertently undermine her own authority as queen regent, since Joffrey's premature ascension to king precluded the need to have a queen regent. The problem is, she never recognized the demotion., as made evident by the fact that she referred to herself as queen regent even after Joffrey's ascension.

While this is a good point (and could very well be true) it does not change her status either.

If he became king when she ripped up the notice, she instantly became Queen Dowager instead of Queen Regent. Him marrying Margaery does not change her status at all.

So in the end (in my opinion) it doesn't matter to Cersei what her legal title is, but rather the unofficial (and real) influence that would naturally be transfered from her to Margaery because of the wedding. After the wedding her legal status would still be exactly the same...the difference would be her son would have a woman in his bed, whispering to him every night.

Vashetti

Banned
It will be interesting to see if Joff's death brings joy to any of the remaining Starks, or if they will be un-phased by it, as if it is just a small pebble in a larger problem.

Well assuming the necklace thing is legit, then Sansa indirectly got her revenge on him.

While this is a good point (and could very well be true) it does not change her status either.

If he became king when she ripped up the notice, she instantly became Queen Dowager instead of Queen Regent. Him marrying Margaery does not change her status at all.

So in the end (in my opinion) it doesn't matter to Cersei what her legal title is, but rather the unofficial (and real) influence that would naturally be transfered from her to Margaery because of the wedding. After the wedding her legal status would still be exactly the same...the difference would be her son would have a woman in his bed, whispering to him every night.

The problem is we don't even know if Martin or the writers even recognize the title to begin with, or if it's a simple matter of Cersei preferring to be referred to as one rather than the other since a Queen Regent is commonly perceived as a matriarch ruler by her own right, which Cersei isn't.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the title means as much as the influence either she or Margery has over the people. I'm sure there are a lot of people in King's Landing who see Margery as Queen now regardless because of the stuff she did for the poor, but Cersei has a lot of power over the knights still I'm guessing.

Violet_0

Banned
I sure hope Sansa escapes King's Landing and starts something else because for the last three seasons all her scenes have been so damn boring

Death poster for "The Lion and the Rose"

1545627_10152103459712734_8664095095441069245_n.jpg

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I sure hope Sansa escapes King's Landing and starts something else because for the last three seasons all her scenes have been so damn boring

She's not built for the real world like Arya though. Her whole life she's been sheltered and basically raised to be Queen. I would liketo see her out of King's Landing though I agree.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

I think she is in the most compelling situation honestly. I like the political intrigue stuff way more than the dragons and fighting... or walking around in the desert.

StuBurns

Banned
The thing with Sansa is there doesn't seem to be a group she can be attached to, unless multiple people leave at the same time, I'm surprised they didn't have her leave with Shae actually.

EDIT: They being the writers, not the characters, as in delay Shae's exit and have her sneak away with her.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
come on, anyone who thought it was the pie is not paying attention. everyone there had a piece of the pie. he was the only one who drank from the cup.

Poisoning the pie wouldn't make sense unless you want to kill off everyone who might grab a slice. I don't think it was every a valid theory considering Joff was specifically targeted.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I think she is in the most compelling situation honestly. I like the political intrigue stuff way more than the dragons and fighting... or walking around in the desert.

The political stuff is great, but Sansa has no influence there either.

I guess that kills the whole "it was the pie" idea.
For what it's worth, Robert Ball does the posters, he is in no way a writer or producer on the show. He watches the episodes like the rest of us and HBO commissions him to make a poster for each episode.

So, it's just his interpretation.

Dr.Acula

Banned
The argument against the Tyrell's being responsible because they wanted Margaery to produce an heir is incomplete. If I've learned anything from this show, it's that people always have some alternate scheme or plan that isn't as visible. Do we know if the Tyrell's have made other alliances? They could have been sending carrier pigeons to anyone in the world for all we know. Their end-goal was probably something other than getting Margaery pregnant all along.

The fact is you see Olenna grab a gem off a necklace that was clandestinely given to Sansa (who was rushed out of there by the man that gave it to her citing "grave danger"). Unless the goal was to open up a Breaking Bad type "Marie Olenna is a clepto" b-story line, I don't see why they would bother to shoot that scene.

effzee

We've seen the Lord of Light's power outside of Melisandre. Resurrecting Beric x6, blood turning to fire, Varys hearing a voice responding to the Red Priest who cut him, the Prophecy from the Red God's holy book successfully predicting the comet & White Walkers, etc..

It could very well be some demon or long dead witch or warlock masquerading as a god, but its influence is undeniable.

Now that it was brought up what is the story with Beric and his men?

They were what? Former soldiers protecting the King but chose to leave?

And they were going to hand over Arya to Melisandre?

I swear I watched all the seasons and episodes but some of this stuff is completely gone from memory.

Nameless

Now that it was brought up what is the story with Beric and his men?

They were what? Former soldiers protecting the King but chose to leave?

And they were going to hand over Arya to Melisandre?

I swear I watched all the seasons and episodes but some of this stuff is completely gone from memory.

Response I gave to a similar questions earlier in the thread:

Nameless said:
Ned strips the Mountain of all titles & holdings for atrocities committed throughout the Riverlands, tasking Beric Dondarrion with bringing Ser Gregor to justice. I haven't read the books, but best I can piece together from the show is Thoros, who fought for King Robert against Balon Greyjoy, had been sent by the High Priestess of R'hllor to educate the people of Westeros about the Lord of Light. Only he didn't really believe, spending his time drinking and whoring instead of spreading the Lord's word. He crosses paths with Beric, who's presumably an old war buddy, and after The Mountain kills him with a lance through the heart Thoros prays beside his dead friend, and Beric miraculously comes back to life

With the Lannisters in power the 'Brotherhood Without Banners' is born in opposition, recruiting those interested in protecting the common folk against Lannister soldiers roaming the country raping & pillaging. Beric is killed 4 more times, including being captured by Lannisters and hanged. They drive a spear through his eye for good measure. The "trial" by fire against The Hound is the 6th time he dies and resurrects.

The exact timeline of all this isn't totally clear, but if you consider Ned sends Beric after The Mountain when King Robert is on the boar hunt, and Lannisters are torturing people for information about The Brotherhood when Arya arrives in Harrenhal early S2, you can get a general idea of when things took place.

As far as Melisandre, she sought out The Brotherhood for Gendry and his fresh supply of king's blood. When Arya confronts her Melisandre says she see's eyes in the darkness that Arya will close forever, and that they will meet again.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I guess that kills the whole "it was the pie" idea.

That's a fan artist's rendition, not official art.

come on, anyone who thought it was the pie is not paying attention. everyone there had a piece of the pie. he was the only one who drank from the cup.

I don't recall anyone else eating the pie. He had the first slice as part of a tradition, I'm sure.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The political stuff is great, but Sansa has no influence there either.

I think that's what makes her situation interesting... I mean, the King's Landing shit is kinda lame if everyone involved has control over the situation and is super-clever and shit. Sure, SHE isn't super interesting, but her storyline and her place in it creates a lot of tragedy, tension and irony. I mean, that last episode for example, was richer for having Sansa there.

Vashetti

Banned
I think that's what makes her situation interesting... I mean, the King's Landing shit is kinda lame if everyone involved has control over the situation and is super-clever and shit. Sure, SHE isn't super interesting, but her storyline and her place in it creates a lot of tragedy, tension and irony. I mean, that last episode for example, was richer for having Sansa there.

I really felt for her when the "War of the Five Kings" play was going on and "Robb" was killed and degraded by "Joffrey".

The camera closed in on her expression and a sad version of the Stark theme played :(

Nameless

I really felt for her when the "War of the Five Kings" play was going on and "Robb" was killed and degraded by "Joffrey".

The camera closed in on her expression and a sad version of the Stark theme played :(

I think I felt more sorry for Loris. Watching a midgit version of your dead lover riding a naked puppet in your likeness has to be brutal.

Say what you want about Joffrey but he went out as The Troll Master of Universe.

I wonder why the Lannisters and the Tyrells haven't sought out Stannis and thought to finish him. Dragonstone isn't far from King's Landing, and as far as I know Stannis hasn't officially surrendered or yielded his claim, thus making him an enemy still...

Sajjaja

I think I felt more sorry for Loris. Watching a midgit version of your dead lover riding a naked puppet in your likeness has to be brutal.

Say what you want about Joffrey but he went out as The Troll Master of Universe.

Eh, at least Renly had his head. IIRC, the one that played Robb had his wolfs head on his shoulders which is what they did to him after they killed him.

Here's the red wedding aftermath scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrsK1X72Ts8

Vashetti

Banned
I wonder why the Lannisters and the Tyrells haven't sought out Stannis and thought to finish him. Dragonstone isn't far from King's Landing, and as far as I know Stannis hasn't officially surrendered or yielded his claim, thus making him an enemy still...

They don't consider him a threat anymore. More of a joke and not worth the effort to seek out and kill.

Joffrey: "I broke Stannis."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom