• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeddyBoy

I wonder why the Lannisters and the Tyrells haven't sought out Stannis and thought to finish him. Dragonstone isn't far from King's Landing, and as far as I know Stannis hasn't officially surrendered or yielded his claim, thus making him an enemy still...

It's an island fortress surrounded by the sea, it wouldn't take very many men to man the walls and make it extremely difficult to capture. I'm sure it was said at some point in season 2 (when they introduced Stannis) that Dragonstone's walls had never been breached either.

In the last episode when Stannis said the meat was off, perhaps the crown has blockaded Dragonstone preventing resupply. It would be the best way to capture the citadel even if it would take years.

Is there a good map to follow on this world?

I can't keep up with all the names of places. It doesn't have to overly interactive or detailed just a map showing names and locations of cities.

There is some amazing fanart of Khaleesi out there:

Mario_Teodosio_dracarys.jpg

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I don't see the Tyrells going against the "Baratheons"/Lannisters. I can definitely see Olenna demanding that Margaery be able to marry Tommen in order to secure the alliance, but I don't see her trying to forcibly take the throne for the Tyrells. That would be extremely messy.

What Baratheons? They're almost all under Stannis's command are they not?

ramyeon

What Baratheons? They're almost all under Stannis's command are they not?
Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella are all "Baratheons". Technically the throne belongs to the Baratheons, not the Lannisters right? Stannis is against them because he knows they are not of true Baratheon blood.

Heshinsi

Death poster for "The Lion and the Rose"

1545627_10152103459712734_8664095095441069245_n.jpg

I'm almost tempted to unfollow the official GoT facebook page. They posted that pic either yesterday or today, and had I not watched the episode (was planning on watching it this weekend after exams, but instead watched it with a friend), I would have definitely been spoiled. Not the first time they've done this too.

Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella are all "Baratheons". Technically the throne belongs to the Baratheons, not the Lannisters right? Stannis is against them because he knows they are not of true Baratheon blood.

No I meant, barring the three "fake" Baratheons, there are no other Baratheons on team Lannister. So the Tyrell are really only dealing with the Lannisters.

I'm almost tempted to unfollow the official GoT facebook page. They posted that pic either yesterday or today, and had I not watched the episode (was planning on watching it this weekend after exams, but instead watched it with a friend), I would have definitely been spoiled. Not the first time they've done this too.

No I meant, baring the three "fake" Baratheons, there are no other Baratheons on team Lannister. So the Tyrell are really only dealing with the Lannisters.
They usually assume that if you follow the Facebook page you watch the show.

Yeah the official GoT pages across various social networks will post spoilery material once the episode has aired, so if you're someone that doesn't always watch the show the day it aired, I wouldn't recommend following those accounts.

desh

So they assume everyone watches the episode the minute it airs? It's not even a week yet.

If you don't want to be spoiled on a wildly popular show, I recommend staying away from any sites that may discuss said show, until you've seen it. It's like complaining that espn spoiled you on the score of a football game you recorded and were planning to watch later.

Heshinsi

I know that :p

Yeah technically the Baratheons should be the ruling house. The fact that it seems like there are Lannister thugs being used to strong arm everyone, should clue people into realising who the real power behind the throne is. Look at Tyrion's banner when they're waiting for the Dornishmen to arrive. It has both a Lion and a Stag on it.

If you don't want to be spoiled on a wildly popular show, I recommend staying away from any sites that may discuss said show, until you've seen it. It's like complaining that espn spoiled you on the score of a football game you recorded and were planning to watch later.

Never thought of it that way lol.

Cyan

Banned

Yeah, you should unfollow the page. It's generally going to be assumed in GoT-related communities (this thread is another example) that you're watching episodes as they air. I assume you weren't reading this thread in the meantime either, right? I sometimes end up not being able to watch the latest episode for a few days or up to a week, and I just bail from anything GoT-related until I get a chance to watch. It's a minor annoyance, but you won't get spoiled that way.

Heshinsi

Yeah, you should unfollow the page. It's generally going to be assumed in GoT-related communities (this thread is another example) that you're watching episodes as they air. I assume you weren't reading this thread in the meantime either, right? I sometimes end up not being able to watch the latest episode for a few days or up to a week, and I just bail from anything GoT-related until I get a chance to watch. It's a minor annoyance, but you won't get spoiled that way.

No, I pop in after I've watched the episode. I went ahead and unfollowed them.

thanks

Thanks. She is still very far away from Westeros :(

I think she started in Pentos, based on the HBO map, which is fairly close to Westeros, just across the narrow sea.

Then she was going towards dothraki, which is heaps far away from westeros. She then crossed a desert to Qarth, then Astopor and now near meener. So she is going slowly back towards Westeros after having set out with the dothraki to the east.

Effect

So I'm about to jump into the series. My birthday was Thursday and received blu-ray copies of season 1 and season 2. Plan on opening them this coming week. Maybe as early as tomorrow when I get some free time. Have been seriously considering giving the books another try but not sure if that's a good idea. Maybe I should wait until after I watch the seasons and then go to the books to get a more detail looked at the story, inner thoughts, etc. Or should I reverse it?

So I'm about to jump into the series. My birthday was Thursday and received blu-ray copies of season 1 and season 2. Plan on opening them this coming week. Maybe as early as tomorrow when I get some free time. Have been seriously considering giving the books another try but not sure if that's a good idea. Maybe I should wait until after I watch the seasons and then go to the books to get a more detail looked at the story, inner thoughts, etc. Or should I reverse it?

This is one occasion where you probably should have made a thread, you can be spoiled by a simple image in here.

Effect

This is one occasion where you probably should have made a thread, you can be spoiled by a simple image in here.

I'm likely going to try to stay away from it going forward. I wasn't worried about it before. A number of years ago I was looking for different fantasy series to read and while doing so I came across a few of the key plot points for the early books. Like the Red Wedding and Joffery. However with the last one being the last thing I knew it indeed would be better to steer clear now that I think about it.

On Demand

Banned
Yeah the official GoT pages across various social networks will post spoilery material once the episode has aired, so if you're someone that doesn't always watch the show the day it aired, I wouldn't recommend following those accounts.

The Daily News had about 4 pages of the red wedding episode after it aired. Showing Catelyn Stark with a nife at her throat, Robb filled with arrows. They even had the book version of what Catelyn Stark said before she died in big bold caps. I don't understand how they thought that was a good idea. Not everyone watches the show on Sundays and keeps up with each episode. I wonder how many people got spoiled by that. You're casually reading the paper then you turn another page and see everything in detail about the red wedding.

EDIT-

I found it.

These are a few of the images they posted in the paper-

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...-brutal-thrones-shakes-cast-article-1.1360169

Vagabundo

I think you are right.

Before Roberts death: Queen Consort
After Roberts death: Queen Regent
When Joffrey came of age: Queen Dowager

She already lost the Queen Regent title. The only thing I wonder is what are the titles now?
I think Tommen is King, Cersei is Queen Regent again and Margaery is Queen Dowager, unless it doesn't count at all because the marriage wasn't consumated.

Also I don't think Cersei was worried about titles when Margaery married Joffrey but rather worried about the influence she had on him. She was in power (by controlling Joff) and saw that another woman had such power over him.

Here is an interesting snippet from wikipedia for dowager:

In the United Kingdom, the widow of a peer may continue to use the style she had during her husband's lifetime, e.g. "Countess of Loamshire", provided that his successor, if any, has no wife to bear the plain title. Otherwise she more properly prefixes either her forename or the word Dowager, e.g. "Jane, Countess of Loamshire" or "Dowager Countess of Loamshire". (In any case she would continue to be called "Lady Loamshire".)

It maybe that Cersei was allow to use the title until Joffrey married.

She's leaving glasses of milk in her wake! Oh wait...

And yeah, I'm beginning to notice that I can't really follow any shows. Bob's Burger's Twitter feed was live tweeting the east coast feed last week. I understand you want to share with your community but there's a reason DVRs sell so well. :/

Just watched Lion and Rose. I've read the books and I just have to say Martin is great at subtlety. Makes me want to re - read the books and go over each episode for all of the little things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom