• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wow the point completely flew over your head there.

I'm talking story wise, like the actual point of the scene. Because the threat of the poison is raised and then immediately dismissed in the same fuckin scene.

Don't be so quick to judge the scene, you don't know what will happen in the next episodes. Maybe there is going to be a point to this "poison & boobs" scene later.

royalan

Joffrey did that, and it's one of the things that made the royal family unpopular. When did we see the Faith Militant terrorizing normal people? We saw them go after rich people in Littlefinger's brothel, and running a soup kitchen for the poor. But even if there's no general uprising, disbanding and disarming the religious fanatics now would involves a war between them and the Lannister soldiers with the Sept of the Baelor as ground zero.

Didn't we see the faith militant turning over merchant tables in that one scene?

Sure, they're merchants. But most merchants weren't exactly rich back then.

Skux

No it doesn't. Last season Jeoffrey died in episode 2 and Dany took a city in episode 3/4. In season 3 Jaime gets his hand cut off in episode 3, and in episode 4 there's a rebellion in the Night's Watch and Dany makes a huge play and grabs 8000 unsullied and keeps her dragons too. In season 2 we had the shadow assassination of Renly.

This season we've had... Uh... Sansa being rapes I guess?

It really does seem like they paced things much better in previous seasons.

And what happened in the rest of the season? Things happening is not what makes Game of Thrones good. From day 1 the show has been about the characters.

royalan

They're rich compared to the hungry masses.
Of course.

But if the faith militant's only support is the poor and frail that lack combat training, and literally every higher class in the city wants them gone because they were slighted by the faith militant, then I don't see them building up much of an effective uprising.

Symphonia

Banned
Joffrey did that, and it's one of the things that made the royal family unpopular. When did we see the Faith Militant terrorizing normal people? We saw them go after rich people in Littlefinger's brothel, and running a soup kitchen for the poor. But even if there's no general uprising, disbanding and disarming the religious fanatics now would involve a war between them and the Lannister soldiers with the Sept of the Baelor as ground zero.
We've only recently been introduced to the Faith Militant, though, we can't be too sure of just how much damage they've done prior to this season.

roytheone

Great episode, things are finally popping off left and right! Interesting to see how this season has a different flow than the previous ones. Those always had build ups to a big event, then they would throttle down to show the effects of said event, only to eventually build op again to another big event. This season is more of a constant climb with more and more things happening every episode. Very interested to see where this is all going! Some random thoughts:

-Will be interesting to see how Tommen reacts now that he has 0 people left to advise him. Wouldn't be surprised if he actually started to....you know.... FINALLY DO SOMETHING!
- Even after recent events, Sansa is still trying to influence Ramsey to turn against his dad. She is not very successful yet, but that will come..... I hope.
- I don't think the boy that littlefinger mentions was Cersei's nephew. My guess? Gendry is finally done rowing and allies himself with littlefinger! That would give littlefinger and the Tyrells a huge ace up their sleeves.
- No idea why that one sand snake decided do spare Bronn. I am happy she did, but still...hopefully this will be explained better later.

Curufinwe

There doesn't need to be an uprising. The Faith Militant can defend themselves if attacked on the orders of the king, and if they fear they are losing a battle for control of the Sept they can bring out the king's wife and mother and threaten to execute them if the king does not call off his troops.

- I don't think the boy that littlefinger mentions was Cersei's nephew. My guess? Gendry is finally done rowing and allies himself with littlefinger! That would give littlefinger and the Tyrells a huge ace up their sleeves.

I think he was talking about Cersei's cousin with benefits turned religious fundamentalist Lancel.

lancel-lannister-game-of-thrones-season-1-hbo.jpg
hbo-game-of-thrones-season-5-cersei-lancel.jpg

MikeyB

I think that Seasons 1 and 2 are the weakest. In season 2, almost nothing happened until Blackwater in episode 9.
Season 1 uncovered a plot to murder the king, work to hide his true heirs and replace them with products of incest, the arrival of a threat unseen in centuries, the return of dragons, the ascendance of Dany, Robb's crowning as king of the north, and the clash of several great families and within them.

Season 2 saw the north in open rebellion, Stannis v Renly, Stannis v Lannister/Joffrey, Jon meets the wildlings, Theon seizing Winterfell, Arya v Tywin and Jaqen, and Daenerys finding, being welcomed, and turning the tables on Qarth and the necromancers.

Power shifted so much in those seasons and the characters were better written and steadily growing.

If you think those seasons were the weak ones, well, we really want Game of Thrones to be about entirely different things.

RDreamer

And what happened in the rest of the season? Things happening is not what makes Game of Thrones good. From day 1 the show has been about the characters.

Characters whose arcs are almost all at a complete standstill thus far this season, as I've gone over before.

Loakum

Banned

I'm talking story wise, like the actual point of the scene. Because the threat of the poison is raised and then immediately dismissed in the same fuckin scene.

So in your mind, it didn't serve a purpose because it was resolved in the same scene? How do you know it's (dismissed) resolved? How do you know it ends there? How do you even know if the cure is permanent? Too many times in Game of Thrones, a subtle scene becomes an big deal later on.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Ugh, such an amazing conclusion to last night's episode but I'm feeling conflicted. Cersei is DONE. But, Lena Headey is my favorite actress on the show (she's the reason I tuned in and gave GoT a chance) so I don't want season 5 to be her last, it's such a joy to watch her as the Queen Regent ;_;

Also, where is Bran Stark again? I can't even remember the last time we saw him and Hodor & co. Was he even in season 4? Will we be seeing Bran again?

Ugh, such an amazing conclusion to last night's episode but I'm feeling conflicted. Cersei is DONE. But, Lena Headey is my favorite actress on the show (she's the reason I tuned in and gave GoT a chance) so I don't want season 5 to be her last, it's such a joy to watch her as the Queen Regent ;_;

Also, where is Bran Stark again? I can't even remember the last time we saw him and Hodor & co. Was he even in season 4? Will we be seeing Bran again?

Season 6 will probably see the return of the Hodobran Power Duo.

wildfire

Banned
Bronn won lol.
Looks like he is gonna stay in Dorne.

foresaw Cersei getting captured a whole episode ago. she dug her own grave. It's going to be fun watching her comeback though.

It's cute that you think she hasn't hit bottom yet. She will lose both children and I bet

the loss will occur while they are still alive. Tommen will disown her after the truth of his ancestry is revealed and Mycella marries with the Dornish prince.

iVoLKxw.jpg

Get rekt, Cersei.

And people were complaining about fantasy elements creeping in when Tywin was a prophet :p

royalan

The only thing that would have made that final scene better is if we could have gotten Margeary's maniacal laughter in the background as Cersei was being locked up.

Like, a "HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA YOU DUMBASS!!!!!" would have made that scene everything.

vpance

Cercei being one of the worst offenders yet still going ahead with the brilliant idea of teaming up with the sparrows is either a massive plot hole or DGAF moment to destroy everything. Or maybe it was just poorly written.

SkylineRKR

Cercei being one of the worst offenders yet still going ahead with the brilliant idea of teaming up with the sparrows is either a massive plot hole or DGAF moment to destroy everything. Or maybe it was just poorly written.

I think its desperation, and the fact she never thought of being in jeopardy herself one day. She is shocked and surprised when someone doesn't let her through, she still screams she's the queen right now.

Even though she did crazy stuff she obviously thought she would be above the law. She's right there when the Tyrells get punished for things than she did way worse.

MikeyB

Meh, Cersei has always had narrow ambitions and shortsightedness. She was married to the king for years and only managed to become an alcoholic and sleep with her brother. Everything else has focused on short term hurting Tyrion or protecting her children. She pulls no punches when she schemes, but she has never had much of a plan or foresight. Tywin read her correctly.

She finally is able to hold the reins and she mangles it. No surprise.

Nameless

Season 1 uncovered a plot to murder the king, work to hide his true heirs and replace them with products of incest, the arrival of a threat unseen in centuries, the return of dragons, the ascendance of Dany, Robb's crowning as king of the north, and the clash of several great families and within them.

Season 2 saw the north in open rebellion, Stannis v Renly, Stannis v Lannister/Joffrey, Jon meets the wildlings, Theon seizing Winterfell, Arya v Tywin and Jaqen, and Daenerys finding, being welcomed, and turning the tables on Qarth and the necromancers.

Power shifted so much in those seasons and the characters were better written and steadily growing.

If you think those seasons were the weak ones, well, we really want Game of Thrones to be about entirely different things.

Yeah on rewatch S2 always stands out as my favorite season. It's extremely rich in lore, politics, and overall character & world building. This season has similar strengths, which is no doubt why I'm enjoying it so much. Don't get me wrong , I like 'Holy Shit' moments as much as the next guy, and this show does them like no other, but all the things that give those big events weight & gravity is where Thrones truly shines.

Cake Boss

Banned
Went back and watched a couple of scenes in previous seasons, it seems like this season was made by entirely different people, so weak compared to past.

It took 7 episodes for something substantial to happen.

wildfire

Banned
Went back and watched a couple of scenes in previous seasons, it seems like this season was made by entirely different people, so weak compared to past.

It seems the problems stem from the 2 books this season is about. Book readers complained about this period being a slosh as well. If this season really is based on 2 books I can't imagine how tedious it was.

Cersei is dumb. It's not a coincidence that the Lannister house falls apart two seconds after Tywin dies. She's far too arrogant to have ever thought the Sparrows would come for her.

spootime

It seems the problems stem from the 2 books this season is about. Book readers complained about this period being a slosh as well. If this season really is based on 2 books I can't imagine how tedious it was.

As a book reader, most of the problems this season come from things that arent even in the books.

Kill3r7

I know we aren't suppose to discuss book spoilers and such but AFOC and ADWD weren't as good as the previous 3 books. If anything the show has benefited greatly from combining them.

Zaptruder

Banned
Oh Ramsay that lovable bastard. He's such a trollolol.

I'm pretty sure they're blowing him up only because it's GoT and now that Joffrey is gone, they think we need a new focal point for our ire. Ergo show him doing all those psychopathic things, including the rape of Sansa and the flaying of her would be rescuer.

But the actor is great at it. And the character is more charismatic and eviller than Joffrey - who was basically a two-bit incest thug made into a bully-boy king. He's a thrones player Ramsay is - albeit not one that will get a throne, but certainly a far better character than the cardboard cutout that was Joffrey.

I mean, Cersei would be fine as the big bad, but they had to take her out - so in the mean time, given that Game of thrones always needs some sort of conflict character for the bleakness feel, Ramsay is going to be the prince of darkness for a bit - at least until we get some other character to play it up as the focal point of ire.

zeitgeist

I think it was just really messed up flirting. They might be setting up a relationship there.

vpance

I didn't think Cercei would be that dumb. A drunk and spoiled brat, yeah, but this sparrow thing is dumber than Rob deciding to get married to that nurse chick. Maybe Frankenmountain will rescue her.

I'm finding a strange phenomenon.

It seems this episode was the best on of the season by all accounts, but what was different in comparison to the others?

No, it's not the writing or the locations, its the nudity! Nudity is the key to an amazing episode! There can be no doubt, this connection is solid.

wildfire

Banned
I hate that Religious fanatics group. They slow everything down and I can't help but thinking they'll be gone in a few episodes and never be spoken of again.

Far from it. Don't forget the old gods weren't too happy with Catlyn for their transgressions but they still protect house Stark as best as they can do giving them direwolves and superpowers.
Those gods were usurped by the southern 7 kingdom gods that the high sparrow believes in. But unlike the old gods or the red god we have never seen anything that alludes to the southern gods being real.

This feels like an arch about faith and lies. I wonder what they High Sparrow will do if his faith laid bare is just theater for the masses and he is given proof the power of real divine beings playing their own game of thrones.

Maxim726X

I'm finding a strange phenomenon.

It seems this episode was the best on of the season by all accounts, but what was different in comparison to the others?

No, it's not the writing or the locations, its the nudity! Nudity is the key to an amazing episode! There can be no doubt, this connection is solid.

Seems the 'analysis' of this season has been equally as reductive... (Yes, I'm referring to the Sansa controversy).

Nibel

Tommen needs to take command or he's not going to last very long.

I mean it's obvious he won't or at least he won't have any success trying to solve the situation.

Tommen is a way too good person not only for the position of a king but also for the entire Game Of Thrones world. Way too young, inexperienced, naive: the exact person that won't survive in that world.

I know a lot happened in Season 1. That's not the reason why I think it's weak, I just felt that a lot of exposition was fitted in in a very clunky manner. The show is much more sophisticated at it now.

Also, the same number of events you listed for season 2 can be listed for season 5. Stannis prepares for a fight with Roose Bolton. Barristan ends up dead, with Danaerys having a long awaited interaction with a major character. Jorah contacts Greyscale, Jon is made Lord Commander, executes a prior Lord, then starts a rift between the Night's Watchmen and himself by siding with the wildlings. Also, a very important decision is that the wildlings are finally going to be shifted south of the wall. Things are building up to a head in Winterfell with the Boltons, Stannis, Brienne, Sansa and Littlefinger all headed to the same location. Cersei, Margaery and Loras are all imprisoned by the high sparrow. Really, a lot has happened this season; it's just that there hasn't been any one outright brilliant, which will probably come in spades from next episode onwards. Also, it's worth remembering that Season 3 also really only had three really good episodes until episode 8 of the season (and it even had a very sub-par finale). This season has also had three great ones (Kill the Boy, High Sparrow, and The Gift), and will likely have a spectacular finale from the way they are hyping it up.

I know a lot happened in Season 1. That's not the reason why I think it's weak, I just felt that a lot of exposition was fitted in in a very clunky manner. The show is much more sophisticated at it now.

Also, the same number of events you listed for season 2 can be listed for season 5. Stannis prepares for a fight with Roose Bolton. Barristan ends up dead, with Danaerys having a long awaited interaction with a major character. Jorah contacts Greyscale, Jon is made Lord Commander, executes a prior Lord, then starts a rift between the Night's Watchmen and himself by siding with the wildlings. Also, a very important decision is that the wildlings are finally going to be shifted south of the wall. Things are building up to a head in Winterfell with the Boltons, Stannis, Brienne, Sansa and Littlefinger all headed to the same location. Cersei, Margaery and Loras are all imprisoned by the high sparrow. Really, a lot has happened this season; it's just that there hasn't been any one outright brilliant, which will probably come in spades from next episode onwards. Also, it's worth remembering that Season 3 also really only had three really good episodes until episode 8 of the season (and it even had a very sub-par finale). This season has also had three great ones (Kill the Boy, High Sparrow, and The Gift), and will likely have a spectacular finale from the way they are hyping it up.

This is one of the most depressing posts I've ever read because it is actually serious.

" a lot has happened this season "

kill me now

This show used to be so incredible.

Budhapalm

Banned
As a book reader, most of the problems this season come from things that arent even in the books.

QFT, All they had to do was follow the book and the season would have been 100x better.

Besides Tyene in the last episode, there's nothing memorable about this season.

munchie64

This is one of the most depressing posts I've ever read because it is actually serious.

" a lot has happened this season "

kill me now

This show used to be so incredible.
Would it stop you from complaining about peoples opinions?
Seriously, if that's depressing, be happy you apparently don't browse OT often.

Aesius

Does anyone else have a strong desire to rewatch the entire series after this season is over?

I feel like I've missed on a lot of subtle references and it's getting worse as the show continues. I've forgotten so many things that happened earlier in the series that I feel like a full rewatch would be beneficial, especially heading into season 6.

foxtrot3d

Banned

BTM

Does anyone else have a strong desire to rewatch the entire series after this season is over?

I feel like I've missed on a lot of subtle references and it's getting worse as the show continues. I've forgotten so many things that happened earlier in the series that I feel like a full rewatch would be beneficial, especially heading into season 6.

I usually do a full re-watch before a new season begins.

Stop complaining about people's opinions.

90% of what happens on a forum like this is someone offers up an opinion and then you have people jumping in to " complain " about the opinion offered.

The kill me now thing was sheer sarcasm, absolutely astounding people get so offended so fast around here.

Anyway, this is a season defined by the complete absence of actual " happenings ". To read an " opinion " about this season having a lot happening, and being better then Season 1 no less, was rather shocking.

But ... to each their own.

Sounds like you want to complain about those peoples opinions. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom