• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchie64

I wanna know what people saw the Sand Snakes, cause I saw nothing of interest. Genuinely curious cause I wouldn't mind being swayed into liking them.

rambis

Banned
Ser Berry and Greyworm dying wasn't shocking me like other deaths did but still left their mark; even though in Berry's case it makes sense since I assume Tyrion will take his spot. Makes you think about what would have happened if Berry was still alive and would have been at the first meeting as well.
You might be jumping to conclusions. I thought that last bit where selmy saved worm from the vital spot getting stabbed is supposed to signify his survival. Idk if either of them died to be honest.

I view the unsullied the same way as Roman legions. They kick ass in a formation as a unit since they're well-trained, but can easily be taken out in ambushes or 1-on-1 fighting.

Anyone with good combat skills, especially gladiators, should be able to handle them in a fight like that.

I don't know, the Unsullied form ranks like the ancient Greek phalanxes. Given their long spears, the Harpies should not have been able to break their ranks so easily. Also, the Unsullied have been fighting since they were kids; this would be like the upper class of Athens going up against Spartans. It just wouldn't turn out well for the Athenians. Are the Harpies pit fighters paid for by the former masters? Maybe. But the Unsullied should've been able to defeat them without such losses.

Loakum

Banned
This show is a master of giving subtle forewarning of what turns out to be future events. I was listening to Selmy's tale about Reagar Targaryan wanting to walk among the people. Wanting to sing to the people. Gave his money to the poor. Basically Regar Targaryan was for the people, but end up becoming the Mad King...."Burn Them All!" If that's not a forewarning about "The Savior" Daenerys Targaryan, then I don't know what is! I do not trust her.

Ferrio

Banned
This show is a master of giving subtle forewarning of what turns out to be future events. I was listening to Selmy's tale about Reagar Targaryan wanting to walk among the people. Wanting to sing to the people. Gave his money to the poor. Basically Regar Targaryan was for the people, but end up becoming the Mad King...."Burn Them All!" If that's not a forewarning about "The Savior" Daenerys Targaryan, then I don't know what is! I do not trust her.

Rhaegar was the mad king's son.

Rando
-This is the first time we've seen Margaery truly lose her cool. Her wrath will be glorious.
-Sansa is so close to getting her revenge. I can't wait.
-This was probably the only time I've ever (temporarily) liked Stannis, it was a great scene.
-The Sand Snakes were not as exciting as I thought they'd be, but they didn't really get a chance to show off anything yet I guess.
-Jamie and Bronn's misadventures seem like a boring retread.
-Still can't muster up any concern for anything in the Dany plotline. I don't want to dislike it, but it has no impact on me.

rambis

Banned

ok, but it still seems like a forewarning.

Rhaegar was the mad king's son.
Yeah the point of that rant was that she should be more like Prince Rhaegar, who was supposed to be an amazing fighter and amazingly kind instead of the mad king. You are likely seeing something that you want to see but is not really there.

Loakum

Banned
Yeah the point of that rant was that she should be more like Prince Rhaegar, who was supposed to be an amazing fighter and amazingly kind instead of the mad king. You are likely seeing something that you want to see but is not really there.

you're probably right. I just don't trust Daenerys.

Skux

Fighting some random rabble with daggers and losing is " going out like a legend? "

Legends die in Wars or during battles of meaning. He did neither. He died to a bunch of slavers with daggers and no armor on. Yeh It took a lot of them but why not just slide into a corner and start slicing ankles at anyone who comes forward? Legend.

I'm pissed about Barristan. Dude was supposed to be one of if not the greatest swordsman who lived and he goes out like that?

He told fully armored knights of the kings guard he could cut through all eight of them like carving a cake. Then gets killed by that group.

And that was the first time we got to see him fight!!! AUGH

This is Game of Thrones, where the greatest warriors in the world die to infections and level 1 mooks.

I think he is dead though. He even got a nice little send off with that story about Rhaegar.

And lol at people complaining about the sand snakes. They had about 15 seconds of screen time each so far.

Nikodemos

Did they change Shireen's character? I don't remember her left eye having a completely black iris in previous episodes.

Also, the faint wisps of heat coming off Meli's great body were a nice touch.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Why do I have a feeling that Jamie is going to rescue Myrcella and return her to King's Landing just in time for him, Myrcella, Tommen, and Cersei to be killed by the religious fanatics?

Stannis is father of the year right now. Let's see how he reacts to whatever the red witch has planned for her.

Honestly, at this point Stannis is probably the perfect leader out of all the ones remaining. He has the cold-hearted resolve of a war-time leader, but he clearly has the compassion of a father too.

I'm really sad we finally got to see TG Cid in action just to watch him lose :(

I was so happy when he showed up because I thought they were going to show us what he's really capable of. My mistake thinking that while watching Game of Thrones...

Why do I have a feeling that Jamie is going to rescue Myrcella and return her to King's Landing just in time for him, Myrcella, Tommen, and Cersei to be killed by the religious fanatics?

Jamie's story at this point in time has taken a serious nosedive straight down to " worthless waste of time ". The only thing good about his current story is Bronn is there with him who is actually interesting. I dunno, I think the whole " character development " of Jaime has hit a wall and its beginning to look more and more like they never should of cut his hand off. He's now just irrelevant. Think it would of been more powerful if he still had his confidence but the events of the trip back with Brienne slowly began changing his ideals and way of things and then the death of his father really pushes him in a different direction. As it is now hes pretty much ... boring ...

I really haven't liked many decisions storyline wise to be perfectly frank. The only good thing happening right now is Snow leading the Nights Watch and Arya MAYBE getting trained in the way of the faceless men. I dunno ... that whole Needle thing may come back to bite her and they still refuse to train her.

Also another thing. The wife of Oberyn and this group of hers ( her children ? ). I dunno. It is just not having any sort of impact. Does anyone really think they will be able to do a damned thing? Or even care really? If this was episode 10 of last season or something like that right after Oberyn was killed, maybe I'm still engaged. But the dude died in a trial by combat. Forgive me for not being up in arms and really feeling his womans pain anymore. And well, it has taken 4 episodes for her to go from the king doing nothing to her meeting up with her daughters ( i think? ). Massive and pointless gap in between.

Just too many threads if you ask me. I think even they are getting that feeling which is starting to harm the individual storylines themselves. Its just too crowded, too chaotic. Many storylines need to end this season and stick with like, at most, 3 main storylines with maybe 1 other side storyline building toward something. Right now we have

Tyrion's storyline
Jon Snow's storyline
Daeny's storyline
Obery's wifes storyline
Arya starks storyline
Bran's storyline
Sansa Starks storyline
Stannis Baratheon's storyline
Cersei Lannister's storyline
Tommen Lannister's storyline
Littlefinger's storyline
Brienne's storyline
Jamie Lannister's storyline
Wildlings storyline
White Walkers storyline ( laugh )

Its just too crowded. Either axe like 6-7 of those or combine them together. Which they have in the past with Sansa / Littlefinger or Arya / Hound or whatever. The thing about some of those above storylines is, they are all separated. Before, most of them were in Kings Landing so the individual storylines collided with each other quite often. Now? Everything is separate. For now.

tommen is such a baby

he let those crazy freaks walk all over him

Tommen is a child who has no one really on his side to help make him a great ruler. Instead his own mom let him walk into that place. She's fucking crazy, she thinks she's smart because she was able to bring down Ned Stark and kill her husband, but those men played by rules. The fanatics don't.

In regards to Tommen, what would you suggest? He kills them all? First real act as king, murdering a ton of people?

anyway, I feel there is a very big lack of direction this season. It just feels like everything is there to set up something else. I've had friends who read the books and they said this was a huge problem in the books too. Since we know the show runners are cutting a lot out I'm hoping that next episode really gets things moving. We are half way through the season, and yes things have happened but I really hope they pick up the pace. I really feel like what has been going on could have been done in two episodes rather than 4.

Also, am I the only ones who don't like the Sand Snakes or their mother? Oberyn was my favorite character and he was pretty adamant about not hurting Myrcella. The fact that his wife wants to hurt a girl who had nothing to do with their fathers deal feels like misplaced rage that won't do anything for her or those characters.

Hypron

I really don't think Barristan died. What would be the point of Grey Worm saving him from getting his throat cut otherwise.

Its just too crowded. Either axe like 6-7 of those or combine them together. Which they have in the past with Sansa / Littlefinger or Arya / Hound or whatever. The thing about some of those above storylines is, they are all separated. Before, most of them were in Kings Landing so the individual storylines collided with each other quite often. Now? Everything is separate. For now.

This year actually has fewer storylines than any season since the first one.

There are only:

- Meereen
- Tyrion
- The Wall (this may split into The Wall and Stannis)
- Brienne
- Winterfell
- King's Landing
- Dorne
- Braavos

Previous seasons had 10-11 major story-lines we were following, which is why there is room for many scenes to breathe.

PepperedHam

Just too many threads if you ask me. I think even they are getting that feeling which is starting to harm the individual storylines themselves. Its just too crowded, too chaotic. Many storylines need to end this season and stick with like, at most, 3 main storylines with maybe 1 other side storyline building toward something. Right now we have

Tyrion's storyline
Jon Snow's storyline
Daeny's storyline
Obery's wifes storyline
Arya starks storyline
Bran's storyline
Sansa Starks storyline
Stannis Baratheon's storyline
Cersei Lannister's storyline
Tommen Lannister's storyline
Littlefinger's storyline
Brienne's storyline
Jamie Lannister's storyline
Wildlings storyline
White Walkers storyline ( laugh )

Well you could argue Jaime's storyline is crossing with Oberyn's wife's storyline, Tyrion and Daeny's story is about to become one, Sansa, Littlefinger, and Brienne are going to cross paths soon. Or at least just Sansa and Brienne. The Wildlings storyline is a direct part of Jon Snow's storyline, not sure why it's listed separate. Same with Stannis, sure they're separate characters but that's all happening as part of the same thread: The Wall/Winterfell conflict. There seems to be a lot happening but a lot of them appear to be being set up to cross and become whole.

Curufinwe

Anyone who thought last week that Jorah was taking Tyrion to Cersei should realize now that they have no idea what's going on.

Rhaegar didn't become the mad King. That was his father.

borborygmus

I'd think Snow would have a shot at dragon powers like Daenerys if he is the son of a Targaryen. But he doesn't. Fire hurts Snow.

Jon did get burned by the lamp when fighting the wight(wight?) in Castle Black. He's no dragon.

Maybe he's like Viserys, "not a dragon" but still family.

edit: It occurred to me that maybe Aemon knows something about this?

One thing to note - Ser Meryn Trant is "protecting" daddy Tyrell on his trip Bravos, in clear stabbing distance of Arya. Hooray!

Good catch, that didn't even cross my mind.

Also, Rhaegar apparently was already married to Ellia Martell and he still made this move on Lyanna? What's up with that?

Yeah, that's weird and interesting. I don't know what to make of it.

I have a personal theory about why Stannis is the way he is...

Spoilered just in case:
I think he's dying. A few times in the series he's stated that he's "running out of time" in regards to getting on the throne.

Maybe it wasn't maesters who halted his daughter's illness, but Melisandre? It really seems like he struck a deal with her. She just needed an "in," afterwards she could scheme with the help of Stannis' believer wife (since people are speculating that Stannis' daughter could be sacrified, I guess that would happen via Stannis' wife and kept secret from The Mannis). Maybe there's a time limit as part of the deal.

Anyway, I agree that the writers humanizing Stannis might indicate that he's gonna die soon. :(

So why did Melisandre go after Jon? Did she want to harvest his organs blood?

I've never really paid her much attention so I forget her motivations.

Maxim726X

Frankly, I thought Grey Worm put up a much better fight than Barristan.

They didn't live up to the hype that was given to them in their own show.

I haven't read the books, but there were multiple people heaping praise on Selmy as the 'the best sword in Westeros'.

... Who dies to an untrained mob. And the unsullied were fodder.

That almost pisses me off about as much as his death- It's not consistent with their own portrayal of the lore.

Well you could argue Jaime's storyline is crossing with Oberyn's wife's storyline, Tyrion and Daeny's story is about to become one, Sansa, Littlefinger, and Brienne are going to cross paths soon. Or at least just Sansa and Brienne. The Wildlings storyline is a direct part of Jon Snow's storyline, not sure why it's listed separate. Same with Stannis, sure they're separate characters but that's all happening as part of the same thread: The Wall/Winterfell conflict. There seems to be a lot happening but a lot of them appear to be being set up to cross and become whole.

right, which is when i think the season will get much stronger. When the pieces collide again. Back in the past, like i said before, most of these pieces were colliding. During Season 1-3 you had the Starks and Lannisters colliding all the time. You had the peril of Sansa at Kings Landing during raids and kings threats. You had Arya on the run, always in danger of being seen and noticed and outed. You had Brienne with Jamie for a long time. Or Jamie with the Starks or whatever. You had a demented king on the throne doing his bidding. You had Maegary taming Joffrey in a way. You had Tywin Lannister out there manipulating the world as it seemed along with Vary's and Littlefinger.

It was all colliding. The first 4 episodes of this season, its basically the pieces setting up for collision. Things will pick up the final 4 episodes I think, we'll see what happens in Ep. 5. The preview didn't look thrilling though.

I think the major losses just haven't been replaced yet. Robb hasn't been replaced in the north yet. Tywin hasn't been replaced yet. Tyrion is a shell of himself in this season so far. Barristan is now dead with Jorah obviously going to become the replacement, but can he? The thing about Barristan with Dany is that it was a huge moment for her candidacy for legitimate ruler to have the legendary swordsman and guardian of many kings to walk up to her and give her that vote. Would of been big for the people of Westeros when she arrived there as well ( IF ). Now he is gone, to be replaced by a known former slave trader who was kicked out of the North and sent on the run. Not the best of replacements for a future ruler.

Nameless

Anyway, I agree that the writers humanizing Stannis might indicate that he's gonna die soon. :(

For me that scene, along with Melisandre's comment about Shireen having King's blood just confirmed what they made pretty clear last season -- that Shireen is brought along to die. The Lord of Light demands sacrifices for his favor so if Stannis wants the Throne he has to lose something dear to him first. Selyse saw her daughter's death in Meli's flames and is allowing it to happen.

What I'm not sure of is whether Shireen's death will break Stannis, making it easier for Melisandre to bend him towards her will, or if losing the only person he truly loves will cause him to laser focus on attaining the one thing he has left whatever it takes.

iNvid02

• cersei has cornered herself good and proper, jaime is gone and cant protect her, tywin is dead, her son is king but he's being turned against her by margery, and i think shes pissed off the council too. arming those religious nut cases who want to stamp out sin, then saying "the wicked/wealthiest are out of reach of justice" when its common knowledge you fucked your brother is a recipe for disaster. not to mention the other cousin she slept with who is now part of this cult.
  • that was some fine ass swordsmanship by sir barristan, glad we got to see him in action at least once (i hope he survives though). after jaime got handicapped sir barristan is probably unmatched in combat? the only guys who spring to mind are bronn, rose knight boy and the guy dany is sleeping with.
  • speaking of dany, she seems like she is out of her depth and cant utilise her dragons or army of unsullied effectively. she needs talented people around her, which is why i hope sir barristan survives, and that she takes in tyrion and jorah.

tldr: what else do the stannis haters have left? he will rule with an iron fist, but he demonstrated that he does have a compassionate side. each episode is just reinforcing #stannistheonetrueking

Vashetti

Banned
  • cersei has cornered herself good and proper, jaime is gone and cant protect her, tywin is dead, her son is king but he's being turned against her by margery, and i think shes pissed off the council too. arming those religious nut cases who want to stamp out sin, then saying "the wicked/wealthiest are out of reach of justice" when its common knowledge you fucked your brother is a recipe for disaster. not to mention the other cousin she slept with who is now part of this cult.
  • that was some fine ass swordsmanship by sir barristan, glad we got to see him in action at least once (i hope he survives though). after jaime got handicapped sir barristan is probably unmatched in combat? the only guys who spring to mind are bronn, rose knight boy and the guy dany is sleeping with.
  • speaking of dany, she seems like she is out of her depth and cant utilise her dragons or army of unsullied effectively. she needs talented people around her, which is why i hope sir barristan survives, and that she takes in tyrion and jorah.

tldr: what else do the stannis haters have left? he will rule with an iron fist, but he demonstrated that he does have a compassionate side. each episode is just reinforcing #stannistheonetrueking

What council? lol

All she has left is Qyburn and Pycelle.

roytheone

Just watched the new episode, and..... it was OK i guess. Not much happened until the very end, and even that fight scene was anything but convincing. Not the strongest of episodes.

Some random thoughts:

- Circi really should just put a dagger into Tommen's hearth herself, it would be quicker and more merciful than whatever is going to happen to him now thanks to her stupid ass decisions.
- Bron+ Jamie is an awesome combo, but I think their adventure will end badly for one, or more likely, both of them.
- I liked sir barristan, so I am sad to see him go, especially in such an unconvincing way.
-Very curious how Dany will react to Tyrion. Does she know he betrayed his own family and thus will thread him less like an enemy? I hope so.
-Oberyn's daughters are way more war hungry than their dad. He did live for revenge, but he was not willing to go to war just for that. Instead, he decided to go for a more indirect, low key plan that would not result in the dead of thousands. Of course, it failed miserably, but the idea was good, better than "let's just go to war!".

So why did Melisandre go after Jon? Did she want to harvest his organs blood?

I've never really paid her much attention so I forget her motivations.

It is clear that if she has sex with someone with royal blood, she can use that to power her magic (see the shadow that killed Renly and the advances she made to Robert's bastard). So it is very likely that Jon is not just some random bastard of Ed stark+ other person of little importance, but actually has some royal blood in him.

effzee

For me that scene, along with Melisandre's comment about Shireen having King's blood just confirmed what they made pretty clear last season -- that Shireen is brought along to die. The Lord of Light demands sacrifices for his favor so if Stannis wants the Throne he has to lose something dear to him first. Selyse saw her daughter's death in Meli's flames and is allowing it to happen.

What I'm not sure of is whether Shireen's dearh will break Stannis, making it easier for Melisandre to bend him towards her will, or if losing the only person he truly loves will cause him to laser focus on attaining the one thing he has left, whatever it takes.

Interesting theory. Would be but wrenching if that's how it plays out. :(

Could also be a nice way to show why her mother didn't want to bring her along she might suspect this sacrifice and wants to protect her daughter even though it comes across like she doesn't care for her.

Yeah, the way that scene played out looked like Trant about to take him out back to the shed to shoot him. Straight up killing a Tyrell would be pretty bad though. And he's stupid enough that removing him from the small council permanently would not require a great deal of effort. He's just not worth killing. But Cersei is an impulsive idiot and Trant is a dumb yesman so I wouldn't expect any actual foresight on their end.

I doubt Cersei sees Papa Tyrell as a threat. It's obvious she sent him to his death but it's only to get at Margery. Just to hurt her.

I just hope Trant's orders are to wait until after he meets with the Iron Bank so that Arya gets a crack at him.

Why is Margery completely absent from the small council meetings? How or why does Cersei get to run the kingdom?

Does Tommen know why they are calling him an abomination? Joff figured it out but Tom probably doesn't know.

iNvid02

What council? lol

who was the guy who got angry and walked away, i wanna say it was her uncle. essentially she has no one left in kings landing to watch her back, unless qyburn wakes up zombie mountain and he gives her a piggyback out of the city

Was anyone else nervous when Sansa and Littlefinger were down in the Crypts and then Littlefinger starts talking about his plan? I was expecting to see Ramsay suddenly emerge from behind something, having heard the end game plan for Sansa. The whole time I had a grimace on my face like ... fuck Littlefinger you sure are talking loud down inside a tomb at this point in time lol. Anyone down any hall could of heard.

Vashetti

Banned
who was the guy who got angry and walked away, i wanna say it was her uncle. essentially she has no one left in kings landing to watch her back, unless qyburn wakes up zombie mountain and he gives her a piggyback out of the city

That was her Uncle Kevan, Tywin's brother. And father to Lancel, the Sparrow in this episode who had the symbol etched into his forehead.

Jarnet87

What council? lol

And she's been shitting on Pycelle for awhile now. Soon as he gets a chance he'll turn on her.

Good night sweet Ser Barristan, you went out like a G.

This was the first episode I watched when it premiered, been catching up on the show for the past 2-3 weeks. Was awesome marathon watching the first 4 seasons and change.

rambis

Banned
Just watched the new episode, and..... it was OK i guess. Not much happened until the very end, and even that fight scene was anything but convincing. Not the strongest of episodes.

Some random thoughts:

- Circi really should just put a dagger into Tommen's hearth herself, it would be quicker and more merciful than whatever is going to happen to him now thanks to her stupid ass decisions.
- Bron+ Jamie is an awesome combo, but I think their adventure will end badly for one, or more likely, both of them.
- I liked sir barristan, so I am sad to see him go, especially in such an unconvincing way.
-Very curious how Dany will react to Tyrion. Does she know he betrayed his own family and thus will thread him less like an enemy? I hope so.

It is clear that if she has sex with someone with royal blood, she can use that to power her magic (see the shadow that killed Renly and the advances she made to Robert's bastard). So it is very likely that Jon is not just some random bastard of Ed stark+ other person of little importance, but actually has some royal blood in him.
Her powers are not really explained well but that's probably on purpose.

She had "chosen" stannis as the champion of light even before Ned got word out about Joffrey. And remember the baratheon are usurpers as well so just how royal is there blood anyway?

Curufinwe

They didn't live up to the hype that was given to them in their own show.

I haven't read the books, but there were multiple people heaping praise on Selmy as the 'the best sword in Westeros'

He was. 20 years ago.

T... Who dies to an untrained mob. And the unsullied were fodder.

Who says they were untrained? What do you think all the pit fighters who aren't allowed to fight anymore are doing?

That King's Landing chaos. All these fanatics just seemed to appear out of nowhere. The thing that stood out to me the most though is how shitty Tyrion is at arguing for his cause. I could have come up with a million things more clever to say to the captive.

Also that classical movie timing with the Lannister child. Right at the moment when Jaime arrives, the sand woman starts talking about how she wants to capture the child.

Vashetti

Banned
That King's Landing chaos. All these fanatics just seemed to appear out of nowhere. The thing that stood out to me the most though is how shitty Tyrion is at arguing for his cause. I could have come up with a million things more clever to say to the captive.

Also that classical movie timing with the Lannister child. Right at the moment when Jaime arrives, the sand woman starts talking about how she wants to capture the child.

That sequence was fantastic.

Their theme music sounded terrifying as fuck on my sound system. Can't wait for the OST release, Ramin doing awesome work as per.

effzee

Not capture but to use her to start a war.

And it's not the first time she brought it up. I think episode 1 of this season she urged Oberyn's brother to use the child to get back at the Lannisters.

Not capture but to use her to start a war.

And it's not the first time she brought it up. I think episode 1 of this season she urged Oberyn's brother to use the child to get back at the Lannisters.

Right right right, but what season was the child sent there? Season 2 or 3? Since it's been a year or two since the child arrived there, I just think it's funny how it was brought up just now, not a couple of months sooner or later, just at this exact moment.

Jarnet87

Right right right, but what season was the child sent there? Season 2 or 3? Since it's been a year or two since the child arrived there, I just think it's funny how it was brought up just now, not a couple of months sooner or later, just at this exact moment.

when Tyrion was the hand of the king, so season 2?

effzee

There was no need before. Oberyn himself would never harm a child especially knowing what happened to his sister and her kids.

Plus Oberyn went himself to get revenge so the child was completely safe and uninvolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom