• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vashetti

Banned
Not capture but to use her to start a war.

And it's not the first time she brought it up. I think episode 1 of this season she urged Oberyn's brother to use the child to get back at the Lannisters.

It was episode 2 of this season.

Right right right, but what season was the child sent there? Season 2 or 3? Since it's been a year or two since the child arrived there, I just think it's funny how it was brought up just now, not a couple of months sooner or later, just at this exact moment.

Myrcella was taken to Dorne in S2.

It's been brought up now because Oberyn died recently. Have you missed something?

Blader

They didn't live up to the hype that was given to them in their own show.

I haven't read the books, but there were multiple people heaping praise on Selmy as the 'the best sword in Westeros'.

... Who dies to an untrained mob. And the unsullied were fodder.

That almost pisses me off about as much as his death- It's not consistent with their own portrayal of the lore.

Selmy is an old man though. And probably long out of practice by now. When was the last time we've even seen him swing a sword? Ever?

There was no need before. Oberyn himself would never harm a child especially knowing what happened to his sister and her kids.

Plus Oberyn went himself to get revenge so the child was completely safe and uninvolved.

Ah, I was under the impression that it's now been many months since Oberyn died.

Ovid

Also, am I the only ones who don't like the Sand Snakes or their mother? Oberyn was my favorite character and he was pretty adamant about not hurting Myrcella. The fact that his wife wants to hurt a girl who had nothing to do with their fathers deal feels like misplaced rage that won't do anything for her or those characters.
The one with short hair is Ellaria's daughter.

The other two have different mothers and are wild cards.

*I didn't know this until I watched "Inside S5E4" on HBOGo.

I really don't think Barristan died. What would be the point of Grey Worm saving him from getting his throat cut otherwise.
Yup, that's exactly what I think.

There is no point to that scene if he's dead. I think they're both alive.

iNvid02

iirc in order to ride a dragon you must be a targaryen. if the theories about jon are true then maybe he would be able to ride one along with dany who is full blooded targaryen. then brann can just control the other one.
that sounds like one hell of a job for the CG people

edit: if brann cant do that then jon can bring along master aemon and they can fuck shit up together

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
iirc in order to ride a dragon you must be a targaryen. if the theories about jon are true then maybe he would be able to ride one along with dany who is full blooded targaryen. then brann can just control the other one.

edit: if brann cant do that then jon can bring along master aemon and they can fuck shit up together

I kept thinking Bronn and I was like this is INSANE

iNvid02

I kept thinking Bronn and I was like this is INSANE
image.php

lol. i hope he and tyrion can reunite again, they had good chemistry together. would like to see bronn's reaction to seeing a dragon.

Speaking of Bran, I really miss that storyline. It felt like things were just about to kick into high gear for him now that he found the Three-Eyed Raven and the revelation that the Children of the Forest are still around finally got me hyped for that thread and now we are almost halfway through the season and nothing. I assume they just stopped because they have nothing for him and are waiting for the rest of the story lines to catch up and fill skip him for this season. Easy to write him out as just training too.

Anyone think Jaime paying and letting the guy go makes little sense? He specifically asked Brianne to kill the farmer in season 3, so it makes no sense that he would let him live and act like some naive idiot instead in season 5...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Just when I thought Jorah Fedora couldn't be a better poster boy for the neckbeard movement, he goes and does that.

Goddamn.

Also, I'll flip shit if Grey Worm or Ser Barristan die just like that. Totes not a former slave machination, btw.

I think Barriston is dead or will die, as soon as Jorrah arives so he can tell Dany, that Jorrah is a good guy and die.

Grey Worm won't die, hopefully.

The other unsullied disappointed so goddamn much.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yea, I thought they had that shit.

They are a highly specialized regular army that mostly fights with spears. Remove them from the battlefield and they are not that great. The unsullied would probably do much better in close quarters with a common sword instead of a spear.

Still, I expected better from that lot.

Kimaka

Anyone think Jaime paying and letting the guy go makes little sense? He specifically asked Brianne to kill the farmer in season 3, so it makes no sense that he would let him live and act like some naive idiot instead in season 5...

Brienne got to him and he is trying to be a better person.

They are a highly specialized regular army that mostly fights with spears. Remove them from the battlefield and they are not that great. The unsullied would probably do much better in close quarters with a common sword instead of a spear.

Still, I expected better from that lot.

Yeah, instead of banding together in a tight space they split up like idiots and got slaughtered.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Yep. It's amazing to me how many people don't realise that Cersei is SUPPOSED to be stupid. She a moron who thinks way, way higher of herself than she should. He just assumes she has her father's gift for politics but she absolutely does not, and her paranoia drives her to make insane mistakes. She's an evil buffoon.

Exactly! How do people miss that? She thinks that Tywin doesnt listen to her because she is a girl. She thinks of herself on the same level as Tywin, only born a girl. She is an absolute buffoon.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Cersei has the political acumen and strategic abilities of a mallet.

Just like the Mad King, she thinks of sheer power as the only tool for governance.

Just when I thought Jorah Fedora couldn't be a better poster boy for the neckbeard movement, he goes and does that.

Goddamn.

Also, I'll flip shit if Grey Worm or Ser Barristan die just like that. Totes not a former slave machination, btw.

jorah wasn't having that noise that he cant even get back in the friendzone from tyrion

borborygmus

For me that scene, along with Melisandre's comment about Shireen having King's blood just confirmed what they made pretty clear last season -- that Shireen is brought along to die. The Lord of Light demands sacrifices for his favor so if Stannis wants the Throne he has to lose something dear to him first. Selyse saw her daughter's death in Meli's flames and is allowing it to happen.

What I'm not sure of is whether Shireen's death will break Stannis, making it easier for Melisandre to bend him towards her will, or if losing the only person he truly loves will cause him to laser focus on attaining the one thing he has left whatever it takes.

Maybe Stannis will try to prevent it from happening, and die in the process. Somehow Jon Snow resisting Melisandre may be key in Stannis' death not being in vain; at that point he'd be the only one who explicitly knows of her ruse.

Then again, I also like the theories of Brienne killing Stannis...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It remains to be seen how many unsullied were slaughtered by the Harpies (I call a false flag attack by the slaves, though), but KellyC could run into some serious shit if she's no longer in control of her dragons AND her army has been reduced in a significant manner.

Keep in mind that she's trying to control two sizeable city-states, at very least.

Another idiot who needs some common sense slapped into her. They better get Ser Barristan fixed in a pinch or make her listen to Daario or she's going to create a much bigger mess.

Vashetti

Banned
It remains to be seen how many unsullied were slaughtered by the Harpies (I call a false flag attack by the slaves, though), but KellyC could run into some serious shit if she's no longer in control of her dragons AND her army has been reduced in a significant manner.

Keep in mind that she's trying to control two sizeable city-states, at very least.

Another idiot who needs some common sense slapped into her. They better get Ser Barristan fixed in a pinch or make her listen to Daario or she's going to create a much bigger mess.

What's clear is that the Unsullied are at a disadvantage in the narrow streets of Meereen, and they're going to keep getting picked off.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah I know the women seem to be pulling all the strings in that family, I just don't know how Mace could not see the danger in his mission to Braavos. I fear for him. :(
Maybe he isn't as naive as he seems. His daughter is all light and smiles, but at the same time is plotting away like crazy. He was for pushing the crown into debt with the Martells, that's not pure chance.

What's clear is that the Unsullied are at a disadvantage in the narrow streets of Meereen, and they're going to keep getting picked off.

You'd think I dunno ... these Spartan-esque warriors would of been trained in hand to hand combat or short range combat.

Not running around alleys with long ass spears in their hands. Thats the dumbest thing I ever saw. Warriors bred to be warriors from the womb and they can't even have a backup short sword somewhere stashed on their person in case they get into tight quarters. Or just drop the f'in spear and shield and go Jackie Chan on peoples asses.

That whole end sequence was poor. Thats just the bottom line. Not even worth digging into the lore of how such a thing could take place. I'm just going to chalk it up to a bad directors decision and move on. See if they can recover from it next week.

Brienne got to him and he is trying to be a better person.

Yeah, instead of banding together in a tight space they split up like idiots and got slaughtered.
Yeah I get that but it still seems out of character. He's gotten better but I don't think he's turned into a Stark-good type of character. Plus, it seemed like a stupid move to let him live for such an important mission.
Cersei has the political acumen and strategic abilities of a mallet.

Just like the Mad King, she thinks of sheer power as the only tool for governance.
Reminds me of 'power is power' quote from s1. I was rolling my eyes when she said it to Littlefinger, since even then I had the impression he was much smarter than her.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Maybe he isn't as naive as he seems. His daughter is all light and smiles, but at the same time is plotting away like crazy. He was for pushing the crown into debt with the Martells, that's not pure chance.
Yep.

On a similar note, Ellaria and the Sand Snakes sure are a bunch of treacherous asshats.

Doran Martell seems like a good ruler with a very even temper and they are ready to fuck up everything to extract their petty revenge despite the fact that BOSS Oberyn risked his life out of his own volition.

Vashetti

Banned
You'd think I dunno ... these Spartan-esque warriors would of been trained in hand to hand combat or short range combat.

Not running around alleys with long ass spears in their hands. Thats the dumbest thing I ever saw. Warriors bred to be warriors from the womb and they can't even have a backup short sword somewhere stashed on their person in case they get into tight quarters. Or just drop the f'in spear and shield and go Jackie Chan on peoples asses.

That whole end sequence was poor. Thats just the bottom line. Not even worth digging into the lore of how such a thing could take place. I'm just going to chalk it up to a bad directors decision and move on. See if they can recover from it next week.

Season 3, episode 1.

Missandei:

"They begin their training at five. Every day they drill from dawn to dusk until they have mastered the shortsword, the shield, and the three spears. Only one boy in four survives this rigorous training. Their discipline and loyalty are absolute. They fear nothing."

Why do we never see them with shortswords?

Yep.

On a similar note, Ellaria and the Sand Snakes sure are a bunch of treacherous asshats.

Doran Martell seems like a good ruler with a very even temper and they are ready to fuck up everything to extract their petty revenge despite the fact that BOSS Oberyn risked his life out of his own volition.
Their revenge is not petty at all when you add the things they did to their aunt and her children.

roytheone

Her powers are not really explained well but that's probably on purpose.

She had "chosen" stannis as the champion of light even before Ned got word out about Joffrey. And remember the baratheon are usurpers as well so just how royal is there blood anyway?

I also have no idea how this works, but Melisandre herself said something in the vain of "the blood of kings is the most powerful thing in the world" when talking about "harvesting" Gendry and getting Stennis his blood with the leaches. So apparently, even if you overthrow the old king, getting sworn in as the new king magically makes your blood (and that of all your relatives) instantly super powerful.

Kimaka

And listen to the curly haired guy. He's been giving her some good advice, but she keeps ignoring it.

Didn't the Harpies split them up first?

They were surrounded by them. They could have tried forming a circle, but they just started fighting them individually.

Griss

Why are people saying Cersei sent Mace Tyrell off to die? Did I miss something?

My read on that scene was as follows:
-The Iron Bank has called in one tenth of the debt. This is a big deal. They are testing the Lannisters' current liquidity. They need to be paid or they will back Stannis. You absolutely cannot fuck with these people.
-Neither Cersei or her council understand this because they are stupid.
-Cersei compounds this mistake by sending an incompetent buffoon to negotiate with the Bank, thus weakening the capital and the Lannisters and strengthening Stannis. The Bank will not take kindly to Mace's bluster.
-The scene functions as another illustration of the Lannister dynasty coming off the rails, of Cersei's idiocy and lack of 'view of the pieces on the board' and of the balance of power therefore swinging towards Stannis.

But nowhere in there did I see anything like a threat to Mace Tyrell's life.

But what is Cersei's end goal here? She appears to be on a blatant suicide mission. The Lannisters depend on the Tyrells but she has made them enemies. She is borrowing her son's power but at the same time emasculating him and weakening that power. She is known throughout the city for her incestous sin but arms religious fanatics. It's like mutually assured destruction with Margaery for no reason at all. She can't hold power as Queen Regent for more than a year or so until Tommen gets his head together. That's the sum total of what she has to gain. So why not back the fuck off, and enjoy the wealth and status that being Queen Regent would bring? Such a spiteful, spiteful bitch, taking a hacksaw to her own nose, and her children's noses as well. Can't wait for her death, and I hope it's a painful one. I just hope Tommen and Myrcella don't suffer for her sins. (I think Myrcella will live, and the witch's prophecy will be subverted in some way.)

I'm also wondering if Sansa's magical 'virtue-protection' will kick in with Ramsey. She expects she'll be married by the time Littlefinger returns. I expect she won't, not fully. I also think that the way she said that was one last seductive plea to get Littlefinger to reconsider leaving her behind. 'I know you're attracted to me, you're really going to let someone else have me?' Unfortunately Littlefinger doesn't play by such obvious rules.

As for the Jaime storyline, yeah it's fucked right now. Terrible.

Regarding Tommen, his one hope is Olenna. If Olenna sees that Tommen can be coached, then she can give him orders and get things fixed. She's smart enough to manipulate him in that way, and empathetic enough to ensure he knows why things must be done.

He is a baby. Also stannis gave a great speech but he didn't really have an answer.

What? Shirreen asked 'Are you ashamed of me'. Stannis' answer did everything but say, 'No, I am tortured with guilt over what happened to you and I love you with every fibre of my being,' but his masculine code won't allow him to say those words, so he tells the story instead. However the message behind the story is received loud and clear by Shirreen, who cries with happiness. I mean, did we watch the same scene? He absolutely had an answer.

For me that scene, along with Melisandre's comment about Shireen having King's blood just confirmed what they made pretty clear last season -- that Shireen is brought along to die. The Lord of Light demands sacrifices for his favor so if Stannis wants the Throne he has to lose something dear to him first. Selyse saw her daughter's death in Meli's flames and is allowing it to happen.

What I'm not sure of is whether Shireen's death will break Stannis, making it easier for Melisandre to bend him towards her will, or if losing the only person he truly loves will cause him to laser focus on attaining the one thing he has left whatever it takes.

This is my reading of it too. But if they kill Shirreen that's just too blatant for my liking. Might kill my interest in the show. We joke about loved characters dying but it has always been partly due to their own mistakes. The show has never introduced a likeable little girl just to kill her off for shock value and I'd like to think they won't start now. It's in play, though.

rambis

Banned

Idk if we can talk about the DVD extras that come with the show but I don't think this is the case. It seemed to me that most of the family lines of Valyria could control dragons.

Griss

He told him to go without consulting with the king and named the head of the king's guard (aka her own personal thug) as his bodyguard. Shit is as skeevy as it gets.

She sent off Margaery's father with her most loyal Kingsguard, in the same episode where she organised Loras' arrest.

Pretty clear what her intent was, imo.

If that's all that people are basing it on then I'd say that they're reading too much into it.

She just needs Mace out of her hair for a couple of months while she consolidates power and gets rid of Loras and Margaery. I mean, she does actually need someone to go to the Bank in Bravos after all. There's no reason at all to kill Mace, not even for Cersei.

I don't see it. Not at all.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If that's all that people are basing it on then I'd say that they're reading too much into it.

She just needs Mace out of her hair for a couple of months while she consolidates power and gets rid of Loras and Margaery. I mean, she does actually need someone to go to the Bank in Bravos after all. There's no reason at all to kill Mace, not even for Cersei.

I don't see it. Not at all.

Her choice of bodyguard should sound all the alarms in the realm. There are hundreds of men who could fill that position, and she went on to protect him with her most trusted killer.

The whole thing smells rotten. At very least the writers are throwing a curve ball.

I don't think Mace is going to die. Cersei needs his family too much and having him mysteriously die in an "accident" would set off so many red flags with the Tyrells. Meryn Trant only went with him so Arya can kill him once he gets to Braavos.

Vashetti

Banned
I don't think Mace is going to die. Cersei needs his family too much and having him mysteriously die in an "accident" would set off so many red flags with the Tyrells. Meryn Trant only went with him so Arya can kill him once he gets to Braavos.

Who's to say Arya won't unintentionally save Mace by killing Trant before he can murder him?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Why are people saying Cersei sent Mace Tyrell off to die? Did I miss something?

My read on that scene was as follows:
-The Iron Bank has called in one tenth of the debt. This is a big deal. They are testing the Lannisters' current liquidity. They need to be paid or they will back Stannis. You absolutely cannot fuck with these people.
-Neither Cersei or her council understand this because they are stupid.
-Cersei compounds this mistake by sending an incompetent buffoon to negotiate with the Bank, thus weakening the capital and the Lannisters and strengthening Stannis. The Bank will not take kindly to Mace's bluster.
-The scene functions as another illustration of the Lannister dynasty coming off the rails, of Cersei's idiocy and lack of 'view of the pieces on the board' and of the balance of power therefore swinging towards Stannis.

But nowhere in there did I see anything like a threat to Mace Tyrell's life.
There was a definite ominous tone to the way everything was set-up and when he was leaving the room. Also we already know that the guy she is sending as his guard is a treacherous thug loyal to the lannisters. There was a definite implied threat to his person.
I think the scene showed how the Tyrells and the Lannisters are battling for power. The Tyrells are now the ones with money, and so the lannisters are starting to get desperate as there money is running out. It's especially interesting as 'a lannister always pays his debts' is an (un) official motto and now Cersei is trying to weasel out of paying debt. The question remains, is Mace really a naive fool, or is it an act that got him into one of the most powerful seats on the high Council. Let's not forget who he replaced.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Cersei is a complete bellend. As a matter of fact, she already went as far as to jail the heir to the Tyrell dinasty because she didn't want to marry him and felt the Tyrells were having too much influence on sweet Tommen. I'm gonna guess she already got Granny Tyrell foaming at the mouth.

Bitch is playing with fire.

rambis

Banned
This makes too much sense.

And yes, I suppose the iron bank is a legitimate issue that no one is focused on. Tywin made it a big concern to Cersei last year and she pretty much hand waved it. They've already funded Stannis. They could probably make other moves to help remove the current crown.

Vashetti

Banned
There was a definite ominous tone to the way everything was set-up and when he was leaving the room. Also we already know that the guy she is sending as his guard is a treacherous thug loyal to the lannisters. There was a definite implied threat to his person.
I think the scene showed how the Martells and the Lannisters are battling for power. The Martells are now the ones with money, and so the lannisters are starting to get desperate as there money is running out. It's especially interesting as 'a lannister always pays his debts' is an (un) official motto and now Cersei is trying to weasel out of paying debt. The question remains, is Mace really a naive fool, or is it an act that got him into one of the most powerful seats on the high Council. Let's not forget who he replaced.

Tyrells.

The Martells are all down in Dorne.

Kusagari

Cersei gets dumber the more I think about what she's doing.

Her actions with the sparrows are going to have Olenna on a warpath and Littlefinger furious at his brothels being raided.

Great people to piss off.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah, sure, let's fund a secret police made out of religious lunatics so they can prosecute other faiths, ban alcohol, close brothels and beat up Johns.

What could ever go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom