• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Hootie

Aladuf said:
Horde
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Aladuf said:
Sure, I do. But actual MP>>>>>>>Horde

wat

Hootie

whitehawk said:
What, multiplayer is so much better than horde.

Ok I'm not going to lie here...I bought the game at launch and I have not played one round of online multiplayer yet.

Only Horde and Campaign (+ coop) for me.

I remember playing multi in the first one and I really sucked so I just never got to playing it in this game :lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Sorry I left last night. The cops came back a second time to get the phone number for our property management company. It was taking a while so I just turned off the Xbox.

Apparently the guy just kicked in the door, no problem. Right on Queen St - one of the busiest streets in Toronto (well, all of Canada!). I guess I need to explore ways to reinforce my front door. They think the guys just wanted drug money because they went straight for the jewelery and left the big electonics, etc. Our neighbour has been away for a while so I wonder if they've been scoping the place out. Our neighbour behind us was also broken into. A guy threw a chair through the front window and walked right in. Scary stuff.

Hootie

Damnit, every other match of horde I play there is this lag that makes my shots hit about 1/2 to 1 second late. It messes me up big time since I use the shotgun a lot. :mad:

Aladuf

Banned
johnFkennedy said:
What's with everyone dissing horde?

I think both are enjoyable.
Horde just got completely stale for me once I first beat 50 waves. It didn't feel like there was anything new to experience.

Aladuf

Banned
Am I the only one here who's gone down in rank (multiple times) because the host of the match on the opposite team quits out when he's losing to us? This has turned into a nightly thing for me anytime I bust my ass in Wingman to get my 3 bars back. Oh well, new rank system is incoming.

JB1981

Played Gears 1 MP just for shits and giggles tonight and man did it make me appreciate the changes made to Gears 2. Gears 2 is a vastly superior game of multiplayer. I now appreciate the smokes, love the slower rate of fire on the shotty, love tagging walls with nades, the new sniper etc. The game also controls a little smoother as well, it's subtle but some tweaks have been made. I still stand by my assertion that Gears 1 was a sharper looking game with better texturing though. Go back and play Canals or Clocktower and marvel at those textures.

RSTEIN

Aladuf said:
Am I the only one here who's gone down in rank (multiple times) because the host of the match on the opposite team quits out when he's losing to us? This has turned into a nightly thing for me anytime I bust my ass in Wingman to get my 3 bars back. Oh well, new rank system is incoming.

I've had this happen to me once, but I ranked up instead of down :)

Aladuf said:
In a way it's better that you are a 2 rank, because that way people think that you suck, and then it's a rude awakening

If anyone is playing today and needs another player, send me an invite. My tag is HurricaneJesus.

I am sick of playing with randoms who quit. I will be on most of the day.

Flunkie

Banned
NubCakes09 said:
In a way it's better that you are a 2 rank, because that way people think that you suck, and then it's a rude awakening
Thinking that someone sucks and them actually sucking are not two different things in this case.

zing!

Has there been any new info on the next title update? That'll probaly be the thing to really get me back into this again. I still play, but no where near as much as I did...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
johnFkennedy said:
What's with everyone dissing horde?

I think both are enjoyable.

horde would be about 10 times better if you could join public games in progress though

Aladuf

Banned
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
Just read that. Sounds like the next update has a TON of potential. Can't wait to see what's in store for the standbyers!
Kinda makes me sad that theres no mention of something to deter bridging for host though.
Yeah, it seems like it's going to be bringing a hell of a lot more of fixes to Gears 2. Hopefully lots of various hosting problems will be fixed and we just don't know about all of it now.

the chainsaw bugfixes/nerfing and possible smoke tweaking should be pretty awesome. smokes are great in concept, but they need to standardize and possibly shorten the stun time. there's nothing like smoke-surfing all the way down the stairs on Blood Drive, usually headfirst into a shotgun barrel.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but someone over at the Epic forums posted a video that I completely agree with. It shows the melee difference between Gears 1 & 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW5UVj391Cs

Cliff, please watch this. I know he can't spell melee, but he makes a good point. For the new patch, please add the stun penalty to someone who tries to whiff and gets shot. Even better, it would be heaven if the shotgun melee was like Gears 1 where three hits were required for a down. It's getting old when people do nothing but melee up close and hardly shoot.

Other than that, TU3 should hopefully make the game perfect. :D

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
Cliff, please watch this. I know he can't spell melee, but he makes a good point.
:lol :lol

But it is a good point. Melee's in Gears 2 are starting to drive me batshit crazy (I think someone actually called me out on it recently during a game saying "those melee's really piss you off, huh?"). But really, I'm so annoyed by these people who kill me with 2 straight shotty melee's when I'm actually trying to shoot them.

I made the mention the other night too how the shotty in Gears 1 couldn't down a person with two melee's. That's not the same case in Gears 2 at all. :/

Aladuf said:
:lol :lol

But it is a good point. Melee's in Gears 2 are starting to drive me batshit crazy (I think someone actually called me out on it recently during a game saying "those melee's really piss you off, huh?"). But really, I'm so annoyed by these people who kill me with 2 straight shotty melee's when I'm actually trying to shoot them.

I made the mention the other night too how the shotty in Gears 1 couldn't down a person with two melee's. That's not the same case in Gears 2 at all. :/
Gears 2 Shotty is the Gears 1 Pistol :/

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Goddamn Epic, who the hell thought it would a good idea to give the Locust spawn immunity?!

I've wasted so much ammo on Tickers and Bolters (among other Locust), it's really getting annoying. :/

Aladuf said:
Horde just got completely stale for me once I first beat 50 waves. It didn't feel like there was anything new to experience.

I probably played more Horde than anyone on Gaf and I'm finding and experiencing new stuff all the time (you can have two Hammerbursts?!!!).

Little things like what weapons you'll use, what map your on, or where you will try and defend can dramatically change how Horde plays out.

You know what's also great about Horde? None of the bullcrap from the singleplayer or multiplayer, just pure stop and pop goodness.

Also, Gears 1 sniping is sooooo much easier.

Man, I told you sniping would harder in Gears 2 but you didn't believe me!

Aladuf

Banned
Nub, I'm beggin' ya bro, when you host our matches you gotta give a little heads up before you quit out or whatever, at the end of the match where we destroyed the other team on River you quit out at the end and none of the stats counted.

On another note, 1 week ago we're literally untouchable when we played and now, like I said during the matches, we can't buy a fucking victory.

Gig said:
You know what's also great about Horde? None of the bullcrap from the singleplayer or multiplayer, just pure stop and pop goodness.
That's what makes MP so much fun for me, all that stupid shit that happens along with the satisfaction with destroying a real person in a match. It gets the blood flowing every time and that's what I keep coming back for. Horde doesn't give me that feeling at all.

wkr7uf.jpg

:lol

draven

Aladuf said:
On another note, 1 week ago we're literally untouchable when we played and now, like I said during the matches, we can't buy a fucking victory.

That's cause in the past week you haven't had me on your team
to weigh down your average rank
:D

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
http://i41.tinypic.com/wkr7uf.jpg[IMG]

:lol[/QUOTE]
:lol

That's just like the picture I saw once of the "Gears of War 1 controller", the only option on the d-pad was down and the only button available was the B button.

[QUOTE=draven]That's cause in the past week you haven't had me on your team [SPOILER]to weigh down your average rank[/SPOILER] :D[/QUOTE]
:lol Nah, you do just fine!

RSTEIN

I'm really at a loss to explain our recent trend. We've been setting elaborate traps (Ruins) only to be decimated when their whole team funnels down the bridge or through the side. I feel we're not aggressive enough sometimes. When we face aggressive randoms we get killed. They stay together as a pack and rip us apart when we're spread around the map trying to hold positions, get weapons.

People in general are playing better now. There's really no difference between rank 3 and rank 2 people anymore. By now everyone has a high level of competence with Gears 2 mainstays (two piecing, boltok) and are familiar with each map. I find when I play with randoms the popular strategy is to hang back and plant smokes.

Aladuf

Banned
I think you nailed it a bit on the fact that we don't seem to be as aggressive. We can hold our shit down but we seem to let people take bridge on Ruins now like it's no big deal. They get that Scorcher and can fuck us up pretty bad with it. And plus, lots of those other teams are now doing the thing where they rush middle bridge right away and try to take out our guy taking Snipe/Torque which means (especially if it's Warzone) that we have to send two people to that power weapon right away.

So assuming we have no randoms on our team, which usually hasn't been the case these past few days, say it's a round on Ruins with Snipes and Frags. We're often sending two people to snipe, one of us is hitting up the frags down low, and the other two are setting up shop at the end of the bridge. In the meantime, since we're not rushing middle, they're sending one guy to their Torque, one to frags, and 3 straight up the bridge to take out our person going to snipe and in the meantime they'll snag Scorch and camp us and begin to move their way down once their guy with Torque and frags have gotten back. No wonder our matches haven't been so dominating there anymore.

Same thing goes for other maps, at least on Jacinto we're pretty set on getting the Snipe/Torque so that works out decently, but we do hang back on that map a lot. Like last night, that other team was taking every single power weapon and they had us pinned back at the frag tower. It was impossible to do anything and we got our asses kicked.

Maps like Blood Drive we need to tweak what we do too, to our credit, we seem to hold it down pretty well but we're not overly aggressive getting the Snipe/Torque on there either. Sometimes we'll puss out because they'll send down about 4 of their guys while the last one goes 'nades. What we need to do is the same thing, time the smokes better and all that. Probably in the meantime we need to have someone taking Scorcher too because like everyone seemed to experience first hand yesterday, that sum bitch is crazy overpowered. Remember last night when it was 4 to 4 and I managed to get the Scorcher and kill 3 of the guys in about 15 seconds and won the match? We need to lock that shit down, it's a game changer.

Good god
, that is all.

Aladuf said:
Nub, I'm beggin' ya bro, when you host our matches you gotta give a little heads up before you quit out or whatever, at the end of the match where we destroyed the other team on River you quit out at the end and none of the stats counted.

That's what makes MP so much fun for me, all that stupid shit that happens along with the satisfaction with destroying a real person in a match. It gets the blood flowing every time and that's what I keep coming back for. Horde doesn't give me that feeling at all.

No no no no no no, my internet died on me as the match was ending. I tried to get my router working again, but it didn't work for the rest of that night.

Reaaly sorry about that. Hopefully my internet won't die like that again

Aladuf

Banned
NubCakes09 said:
No no no no no no, my internet died on me as the match was ending. I tried to get my router working again, but it didn't work for the rest of that night.

Reaaly sorry about that. Hopefully my internet won't die like that again
Yep, just saw your PM. It's all good, let's just hope your internet stops acting up tonight.

Aladuf said:
I think you nailed it a bit on the fact that we don't seem to be as aggressive. We can hold our shit down but we seem to let people take bridge on Ruins now like it's no big deal. They get that Scorcher and can fuck us up pretty bad with it. And plus, lots of those other teams are now doing the thing where they rush middle bridge right away and try to take out our guy taking Snipe/Torque which means (especially if it's Warzone) that we have to send two people to that power weapon right away.

So assuming we have no randoms on our team, which usually hasn't been the case these past few days, say it's a round on Ruins with Snipes and Frags. We're often sending two people to snipe, one of us is hitting up the frags down low, and the other two are setting up shop at the end of the bridge. In the meantime, since we're not rushing middle, they're sending one guy to their Torque, one to frags, and 3 straight up the bridge to take out our person going to snipe and in the meantime they'll snag Scorch and camp us and begin to move their way down once their guy with Torque and frags have gotten back. No wonder our matches haven't been so dominating there anymore.

Same thing goes for other maps, at least on Jacinto we're pretty set on getting the Snipe/Torque so that works out decently, but we do hang back on that map a lot. Like last night, that other team was taking every single power weapon and they had us pinned back at the frag tower. It was impossible to do anything and we got our asses kicked.

Maps like Blood Drive we need to tweak what we do too, to our credit, we seem to hold it down pretty well but we're not overly aggressive getting the Snipe/Torque on there either. Sometimes we'll puss out because they'll send down about 4 of their guys while the last one goes 'nades. What we need to do is the same thing, time the smokes better and all that. Probably in the meantime we need to have someone taking Scorcher too because like everyone seemed to experience first hand yesterday, that sum bitch is crazy overpowered. Remember last night when it was 4 to 4 and I managed to get the Scorcher and kill 3 of the guys in about 15 seconds and won the match? We need to lock that shit down, it's a game changer.

Good god
, that is all.

Basically try and get Scorcher when ever its available?

Aladuf

Banned
Hellraizer said:
I also remember a version with only the A button.
Shit, that would still easily apply to Gears 2. There's always that one guy who manages to run in circles around the whole map while 4 or 5 people sit there pelting his ass with shotty shots and Hammerburst rounds, just to never get downed. "Superman" is what we like to call them.

NubCakes09 said:
Basically try and get Scorcher when ever its available?
It all could be boiled down to that, yes.

REV 09 said:
nice games last night guys. Maybe we can get another crew running later tonight.
I'll be on around 7:30 or 8. I'll see who's on or whatever and hopefully we can get together again for some games.

g23

European pre-madonna
omg i finally got 60 bucks in my wallet. Should I pick this up, Fallout 3, or Star Ocean 4.

So basically Western Shooter vs Western RPG vs Japanese RPG

RSTEIN

g23 said:
omg i finally got 60 bucks in my wallet. Should I pick this up, Fallout 3, or Star Ocean 4.

So basically Western Shooter vs Western RPG vs Japanese RPG

Are you into multiplayer? If I had $60 in my wallet I would definitely go for Fallout 3.

Top Bottom