• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Yeah... I think I'm done with this game :\ It just doesn't engage me anymore. Last time we all played I didn't have much fun at all. I tried to play some Horde but I just don't feel it. I think I'm gonna trade it in.

Tomcat

Thats the problem with gears2 its not fun unlike gears1. Right now i prefer to play gears 1. I will try gears2 when the tu3 hits but i dont think it will fix anything i want since the core gameplay will stay the same.

Aladuf

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Yeah... I think I'm done with this game :\ It just doesn't engage me anymore. Last time we all played I didn't have much fun at all. I tried to play some Horde but I just don't feel it. I think I'm gonna trade it in.
Yikes, NO!

Just give it a while longer. At least wait until the bulk of us start playing it again to see if it's still fun for you, then make up your mind. I still have to get over the mess that was the last week or so we played there a while back. It sucks that a few of you in the group of us who all play together don't have a PS3 because the rest of the Gears guys are playing the shit out of Killzone 2 right now and it's pretty cool to have the group try out another game. It's also calming as fuck to not be raging over Gears every night from the amount of bullshit that goes down. We'll be back soon to play some matches though dude, just give it a few days.

RSTEIN said:
Don't do it!

Sure it will feel boring when you're playing Horde by yourself after not playing for a while. Plus you know when we all start playing again here soon you'll be wanting in anyway. :D

Finally....

rsdl5y.jpg

Even though I'm happy to finally be done with it, I'm a bit ashamed of myself for
caring so much to get a stupid little message to pop up and all that.

And after a couple months of letting it sink in.....even though Gears 2 has superior....in pretty much everything, I thought on the whole I was much less scared of dying in the game and less intimidated.
Gears 1 had the awesome creepy night scenes that kept you on your toes and on the whole, I found Gears 2 much easier.

I missed the pain in the ass kryll and didn't think that Skorge was all that great of a villian. Sure, he did cool flips and shit, but whatever RAAM had a quiet/insane reservation about himself.

Aladuf

Banned
Third and I will be playing some Gears at the normal time tomorrow night if any of you guys want to get some games going. Let's see if we can win some damn matches after our break. :lol

RSTEIN

Aladuf said:
Third and I will be playing some Gears at the normal time tomorrow night if any of you guys want to get some games going. Let's see if we can win some damn matches after our break. :lol

Are we playing tonight? Or tomorrow night? I'm online now...

kuYuri

I know there's a thread on this, but why wasn't it posted here? :p

http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/Templates/CMBlog.aspx?id=1408&blogid=47896

Some big additions are in the works for Gears of War 2. The first is Title Update 3, which brings a load of improvements and exciting new features to the game, including an all-new experience-based ranking system. That’s already cause for celebration, but there’s more—the Snowblind Map Pack, a bundle of four wintery Gears 2 multiplayer battlefields, hits the Xbox LIVE Marketplace shortly after Title Update 3.

Gears of War 2 Title Update 3—March 24, 2009

A culmination of the tireless efforts of the Gears team and mounds of player feedback, this latest Gears 2 update is our biggest yet. Title Update 3 contains a bounty of additions ranging from new features and achievements to exploit fixes and matchmaking tweaks, with highlights below:

* New experience-based ranking system: The new system gives you 100 levels of player experience, gained through scoring in Public matches. The game still uses TrueSkill to set up the most competitive matches possible, but skill ranks are now hidden. Players who quit matches early see their experience docked as a penalty.
* Public Match autobalancing: Bots now automatically join a Public Match to fill any slots left vacant by players who quit early or disconnect.
* Improvements: You get region preference for matchmaking, improved standby detection, playlist optimization, plus nine new achievements—six of which require the Snowblind Map Pack—worth a total of 250 points.
* Exploit fixes: Title Update 3 eliminates the ability to mantle greater distances by swapping weapons during cover slide and to melee attack through walls while holding an enemy weapon, plus adding many more fixes.
* General fixes: These include more reliable chainsaw interruption detection, improved headshot detection for certain character model heads, improved flag AI in Submission games, plus other fixes.
* Balancing: Title Update 3 makes changes to Subway weapon spawns for greater balance, reductions to smoke-grenade stun duration, an increase to the forward angle that triggers chainsaw duels, and several other balance revisions.

Of course, that’s just some of what’s in store for players in Title Update 3. For the complete skinny, be sure to check out the complete patch notes.

Snowblind Map Pack—March 31, 2009

Don’t worry, that rush of cold up your back is just the Snowblind Map Pack, a winter-themed batch of four new Gears of War 2 maps bound to crank up the heat on your multiplayer and Horde matches. The four maps are:

* Grind Yard, a massive industrial complex with low bunkers and high sniping positions.
* Under Hill, which takes players through snowbound tunnels and beyond.
* Courtyard, a wide-open battle royale.
* The popular Gears 1 map Fuel Depot, back with a blast of winter courtesy of Mother Nature, aka Epic Games.

Detailed list of fixes:

Title Update 3 makes these new improvements:

* Adds 100 levels of player experience that you can gain based on your score in Public matches. The game still uses Trueskill for matchmaking to find the most competitive matches, but the skill rank is now hidden. The new level of experience appears next to your gamertag, with levels 1 through 99 displayed as numbers and level 100 displayed as an icon. The game normalizes experience based on match type so that players earn an equivalent amount of experience across all modes.
* Adds an experience penalty for players quitting before a match is complete.
* Adds bots automatically to a Public Match if players quit and cause unbalanced teams. This ability has always existed in Private Matches if the bot count is set higher than zero.
* Optimizes playlists to only have two modes per playlist. Ties are decided by random selection.
* Adds map cycling to Private Matches. The first match map is chosen by vote or by host, and when that match is completed, the game transitions automatically to the next match, with the next map selected in alphabetical order.
* Adds the ability for teams to talk to each other between rounds in a Private Match.
* Adds the ability to save Public and Private Horde high scores after each complete wave, in case the host loses connection.
* Makes minor changes to general bandwidth usage.
* Adds region preference to matchmaking.
* Improves standby detection.
* Adds nine new achievements worth 250 points. Progress toward them starts after Title Update 3 is applied. Six of the new achievements require the Snowblind Map Pack, a set of four new maps to be released soon. The nine new achievements:
o "Rookie Gear" (10 points): Earn enough multiplayer experience to reach level 5 (Public only).
o "Seasoned Gear" (20 points): Earn enough multiplayer experience to reach level 15 (Public only).
o "Battle-Tested Gear" (30 points): Earn enough multiplayer experience to reach level 25 (Public only).
o "Battle-Hardened Gear" (50 points): Reach level 50 and play a match on each of the four Snowblind Map Pack maps (Public only).
o "Veteran Gear" (75 points): Reach level 100 and win a match on each of the four Snowblind Map Pack maps (Public only).
o "Never Eat Red Snow" (20 points): Complete waves 1 through 10 on all Snowblind Map Pack maps in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Icy Dead People" (25 points): Complete waves 1 through 50 on any Snowblind Map Pack map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Frigid Body Dynamics" (5 points): Play a multiplayer match on each of the four Snowblind Map Pack maps (any mode).
o "The Weather Outside Is Lethal" (15 points): Win a multiplayer match on each of the four Snowblind Map Pack maps (any mode).

Exploit Fixes

Title Update 3 fixes these possible exploits, where under certain circumstances:

* A player could swap from a pistol to a two-handed weapon during a cover slide and then mantle greater distances.
* Players could kill themselves in Wingman to avoid giving their opponents more points. Now, suicides and team killing will reduce team score.
* A player holding a meatshield could melee through some walls.
* A player could equip a two-handed weapon with a shield using either the Boltok or the Gorgon pistol.
* A player could equip a two-handed weapon with a meatshield using either the Boltok or the Gorgon pistol.
* A player could prevent planted shields from being picked up by other players.
* Players could launch themselves into the air with a smoke grenade while mantling.

General Fixes

Title Update 3 fixes these other issues as well:

* An issue that caused chainsaw interruption when a player is shot to be less reliable in some body positions than in others.
* An issue where a third player could join a Public Wingman party lobby and remove another player from the game.
* An issue in Submission games where occasionally the meatflag would immediately run back to the spawn point after being dropped.
* An issue where players that were knocked down but not out (DBNO) while planting the Boomshield would appear to be standing.
* An elevation-based issue where the detection for a headshot might not align properly with certain character model heads.
* An issue that could cause Wingman teammates to have different character models.
* Additional miscellaneous bug fixes.

Balancing

Title Update 3 makes these balancing changes:

* Reduces stun duration of smoke grenades. Currently, characters always start to get up after 2 seconds.
* Gives melee the same delay after roadie running that shooting received in Title Update 2.
* Removes spawn protection from the Horde in Horde mode.
* Increased the forward angle that triggers chainsaw duels so that players with Lancers equipped won't be sawn from the side without a duel.
* Reduces the delay before a player can climb up after entering low cover.
* Makes minor changes to weapon spawns on the Subway map to provide greater balance.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Digging the detailed list - the one true thing that bugged me is fixed now, which was not being able to climb up right away from low cover, like the train tracks in Tyro Station or Subway - perfect...

Aladuf

Banned
Thanks for the post of the full list, they've seriously done a great job fixing up the game. Those maps are looking pretty good from what I saw at the Gamespot link in the other thread, and also.. FUELLLL DEPOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

cresto

Aladuf said:
Thanks for the post of the full list, they've seriously done a great job fixing up the game. Those maps are looking pretty good from what I saw at the Gamespot link in the other thread, and also.. FUELLLL DEPOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D
Im starting to feel that map packs are not worth the $10 price tag. I mean, for only another 10 I got an amazing DLC thanks to GTA that stomps the shit out of the 7 maps that are being released for the same price. What gives?

Skilotonn said:
Digging the detailed list - the one true thing that bugged me is fixed now, which was not being able to climb up right away from low cover, like the train tracks in Tyro Station or Subway - perfect...
so great to see this issue being addressed. it always seemed glaringly out of place in a game built around fluid player movement.

Aladuf

Banned
ergo said:
Im starting to feel that map packs are not worth the $10 price tag. I mean, for only another 10 I got an amazing DLC thanks to GTA that stomps the shit out of the 7 maps that are being released for the same price. What gives?
It's just how things are going to be. GTA4 is a game that I'd think is more played for it's single player and not really it's multiplayer, so $20 is giving you more of what you really want from it. Gears 2 is more played for it's MP after everyone has done their one or two SP playthoughs, so maps are giving you more of what you want from Gears.

In terms of what each game needs to keep people interested, I'd say the same quality is matched between seven maps and an 8-12 hours (I think?, not too sure) expansion for a game.

RSTEIN

Aladuf said:
In terms of what each game needs to keep people interested, I'd say the same quality is matched between seven maps and an 8-12 hours (I think?, not too sure) expansion for a game.

I dunno. What gets me is that once all the assets are made for the main game, the cost to put out maps is very low relative to a full on single player expansion. Think of the time and money it took to create Lost and the Damned! I'd gladly pay $20 for that experience. Likewise, look at the price point of the upcoming Fallout downloads. These expansions cost exponentially more to create than vs. 3 maps yet the price is the same! It feels like Epic is ripping me off. $10 for 3 maps? THEY COST VIRTUALLY NOTHING TO MAKE! Hell, it's something we could do! It's a bit outrageous if you ask me.

Spruchy

RSTEIN said:
I dunno. What gets me is that once all the assets are made for the main game, the cost to put out maps is very low relative to a full on single player expansion. Think of the time and money it took to create Lost and the Damned! I'd gladly pay $20 for that experience. Likewise, look at the price point of the upcoming Fallout downloads. These expansions cost exponentially more to create than vs. 3 maps yet the price is the same! It feels like Epic is ripping me off. $10 for 3 maps? THEY COST VIRTUALLY NOTHING TO MAKE! Hell, it's something we could do! It's a bit outrageous if you ask me.

I have a feeling you don't get how this works.

REV 09

i guess the price is a little high for only 3 maps, but this is pretty standard pricing in the industry. If anything, the Lost and the Damned is out of the norm. Personally, i'm just happy that they're adding content to a game that i both own and love. i'm one of those that if i like the game enough, i'll buy as much content as they can make for it. $10 is not an issue for me.

cresto

RSTEIN said:
I agree, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it costs nothing to make them. It takes a while to put together a good, symetrical, and interesting MP map that is actually worth playing. That said, I'd gladly pay $5 for the new map pack, but its too much to ask for $10 when they dont do something like they did with COD4. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it so that the DLC maps were added to the rotation but if someone present did not have the maps, the game automatically disabled them from the rotation. BRILLIANT!

I bought the first map pack for gears 2 and i've only played them a handful of times. Either my friends don't have them, or there is hardly anyone playing them when I am on. I don't want to sacrifice playing some crap game like meatshield in order to enjoy the new maps, i only want execution/warzone damn it!

RSTEIN

Spruchy said:
I have a feeling you don't get how this works.

I don't know the ins and outs of their arrangement with MS. That aside, how expensive could it possibly be for three maps? Outsource them to India for peanuts! Hell, you get map editors with PC versions. You've seen Gears maps. They're good but not the most spectacular things. A group of us could create maps that rival anything that I've seen.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
warbegins said:
so great to see this issue being addressed. it always seemed glaringly out of place in a game built around fluid player movement.

Yes - especially on Tyro, you have to make sure to line up properly before even hitting the wall or else you roll for nothing - which will get you killed in a pinch...

RSTEIN said:

I guess you missed where they've been trying to get maps out for free since Gears 1 but Microsoft won't allow it - they even brought it up again in the Gamespot article about TU3...

And really, even though they wanted to give it all away for free, to say that the maps cost "virtually nothing" is ridiculous - design, construction, balancing, testing - maps don't appear out of the blue - effort is effort...

RSTEIN

Skilotonn said:
I guess you missed where they've been trying to get maps out for free since Gears 1 but Microsoft won't allow it - they even brought it up again in the Gamespot article about TU3...

And really, even though they wanted to give it all away for free, to say that the maps cost "virtually nothing" is ridiculous - design, construction, balancing, testing - maps don't appear out of the blue - effort is effort...

Yeah, I saw that. MS may be forcing the $10 price point on them, too (that's why I said "their arrangement with MS aside"). And of course I was being facetious when I said they cost virtually nothing. However, there's a big difference between something you and I could pull off in a day and a campaign expansion involving voice talent, new game assets, writers, editors, sound, etc. Next to all that I would say, yeah, creating maps is relatively cheap.

Kibbles

If this new update/map pack is costing money, no thanks. I paid for the game, it no longer became fun, it was broken. I'll only come back to it if it's revamped for free. If it costs money for something I'm not sure I'll like given I still don't play the game... nah.

RSTEIN

Kibbles said:
If this new update/map pack is costing money, no thanks. I paid for the game, it no longer became fun, it was broken. I'll only come back to it if it's revamped for free. If it costs money for something I'm not sure I'll like given I still don't play the game... nah.

TU3 is free. Gotta give props to Epic for listening to the community. They overhauled basically everything people have been bitching about. That's awesome.

warbegins said:
you should get along great with all the other chainsaw nabs on Live!

No idea what you're talkin about... I never chainsaw.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
ergo said:
Thanks. Nothing about two piecing though huh? That's a shame. Looks like I will finally put GoW2 back in my 360; it has been a long, long time.
* Gives melee the same delay after roadie running that shooting received in Title Update 2.

I'm assuming that covers Two Piecing.

Also I am pumped for these changes. I will be playing the shit out of Gears when this patch is out. Thanks for no more two piecing/vacuum and invulnerable chainsaws.

RSTEIN said:
No idea what you're talkin about... I never chainsaw.
the only good to come out of the zzzzzzzzzzzzzsaw is the insane battle cry Carmine will make while chopping someone in half. i always think he is the one getting chainsawed!!

p.s. no can make the games tonight. good luck winning any now scrubs

Aladuf

Banned
Grindyard is a map that's got me pretty excited, it looks like something pretty different from what's in the game so far. I'm glad we've got some snow themed (aka darker) maps in this DLC too, it's a nice change from the mostly all yellow-ish maps that are currently there.

Fuel Depot looks like it's comfortably bigger now from that screen, and that's just a spawn side. I can't wait to play that map again.

cresto

Aladuf said:
Grindyard is a map that's got me pretty excited, it looks like something pretty different from what's in the game so far. I'm glad we've got some snow themed (aka darker) maps in this DLC too, it's a nice change from the mostly all yellow-ish maps that are currently there.

Fuel Depot looks like it's comfortably bigger now from that screen, and that's just a spawn side. I can't wait to play that map again.
So does this mean you'll cut back on the KZ2 play time? Nooo way

cresto

Skilotonn said:
Yes - especially on Tyro, you have to make sure to line up properly before even hitting the wall or else you roll for nothing - which will get you killed in a pinch...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173258

If MS won't allow it, then how come Fear 2 can release DLC for free? Bull shit epic, bull shit.

JB1981

Ugh.

Another frozen over map from the original? Canals looks so fucking ugly and Fuel Depot looks like it might receive similar treatment. Just give me the old maps please.

DoomGyver

JB1981 said:
Ugh.

Another frozen over map from the original? Canals looks so fucking ugly and Fuel Depot looks like it might receive similar treatment. Just give me the old maps please.
CliffyB cummed all over it for you, you should be thankful.

Ramirez

I'm gonna be getting back into this game once this title update hits, none of my Halo com padres like the game, so if anyone wants to add me, TJ Ram,kthx.

I would like to think I'm a pretty decent player when the latency isn't bad. :lol

Zezboob

ergo said:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173258

If MS won't allow it, then how come Fear 2 can release DLC for free? Bull shit epic, bull shit.
You didn't understand.

Microsoft, as publisher of Gears of War, doesn't allow Epic to release DLC for free.
Now, other publishers are free to give DLC for their games (Warner Bros, Valve, THQ etc...)

Aladuf said:
It sure does, Killzone is great but Gears is my bread and butter.
Definitely the same for me.

Can't wait.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Ramirez said:
I'm gonna be getting back into this game once this title update hits, none of my Halo com padres like the game, so if anyone wants to add me, TJ Ram,kthx.

I would like to think I'm a pretty decent player when the latency isn't bad. :lol

Poop! I'm always down to play Gears, so is Therms (usually), but the others are haters. :(

Top Bottom