• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

From my experience playing with you guys, you definately are NOT aggressive enough. I kept running out to fight thinking i had back up, only to get mowed down while you guys were still in cover 100 feet back! :lol

The other guys I play with play COMPLETELY different than that, thus why I kept running at enemies like a maniac.

Aladuf

Banned
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
From my experience playing with you guys, you definately are NOT aggressive enough. I kept running out to fight thinking i had back up, only to get mowed down while you guys were still in cover 100 feet back! :lol

The other guys I play with play COMPLETELY different than that, thus why I kept running at enemies like a maniac.
That's mostly because we like to have a strategy built out though. We usually try to get what we need and then hang back and let them come to us as we pick them off one by one. Anytime one of us seems to run in it seems like we're being met with about 20 melees and all that and quickly get taken out. We don't travel very well in packs either, somehow there's been these teams lately that travel around the map like this:

10yhti0.jpg

We are pretty much incapable of doing that, I've noticed. We can get a good thing going on but I don't know.. Like tonight, we did great actually, but any time we did lose, it was to these teams that had someone quit out. It just seems like once we see that we have the numbers advantage we just stop connecting with anything and they just kick into overdrive. I believe we were winning one on Pavilion 4-0 and then they had a teammate quit out and then they floored us and won 5-4.. I mean, what the fuck is that?

I've played with the other guys so much, 4 of us will be on offense 2 pairs, with one guy playing a defensive role. We always know exactly what the others are doing on every map. Like blood drive, 2 of us go straight to torque/snipe, 2 go through hospital, and one person stay in the grenage & balcony area. If things get bad, whoever is left retreats back to the single defensive player and then we try to clean up what's left of the other team. Theres usually never a question as to who's doing what, where, and why.
I never think about how well we work together until I join up with another party and it seems like total chaos to me!

Aladuf

Banned
Yeah, that's also a problem with our group, we don't have a consistent group anymore so there's not always that sense of everyone having their specific purpose. Every time I play it's at least Third and I on a team and we've played Gears 1 & 2 together for so long now we know exactly what each other is going to do, half the time in a match I'll try to tell someone where to go by saying "he's at where Third usually takes post, or where Third usually plants his smokes" or whatever. Of course, nobody knows what the hell I'm talking about so it doesn't work too well. :lol

I guess that's why me and him make a hell of a Wingman team, if only we could have a constant set of 4 or at least 5 to have that same connection in the bigger playlists. It'll come back to us though, it just hurts more now because of how we were totally unstoppable a week ago.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I will shoulder most (if not all) the blame for our losses last night (although we did win the majority of the games we played). I had a few games where I went 2-6, 0-5, etc. I'm a very streaky player, I dunno. In general I'm not a very good player. I'll probably lose 70% of the time in one-on-one situations.

Aladuf said:
Yeah, that's also a problem with our group, we don't have a consistent group anymore so there's not always that sense of everyone having their specific purpose. Every time I play it's at least Third and I on a team and we've played Gears 1 & 2 together for so long now we know exactly what each other is going to do, half the time in a match I'll try to tell someone where to go by saying "he's at where Third usually takes post, or where Third usually plants his smokes" or whatever. Of course, nobody knows what the hell I'm talking about so it doesn't work too well. :lol

I guess that's why me and him make a hell of a Wingman team, if only we could have a constant set of 4 or at least 5 to have that same connection in the bigger playlists. It'll come back to us though, it just hurts more now because of how we were totally unstoppable a week ago.
So true. It's wierd because I'll never look for you when hitting LB. Like you have already said, a set group of five would dominate in no time.

We've also got to start analyzing out situations more when it comes down to a 2v1 or 1v1. I know I'm bad about this because I like to corner myself because I'm confident I'll win the round. Then I'll be hit with a double melee or some shit and procede to be raped while I'm down.

On another note, I believe today is the first day I've realized how addicted to Gears I am. Every night when we're done I'll either be in a great mood or pissed as fuck. Then I'll tell myself that I need to take a break from all of the 'bullshit'. But when it comes down to it, the next day while in class or at work, all I wanna do is go home and play Gears again. :D

R4G3

Aladuf

Banned
For fuck's sake guys, I just checked our stats for last night and we only lost 3 of 9 matches, which isn't anything to write home about but it's nothing to ignore. The losses were pretty spread out too, not like 3 in a row or anything. I think we get so worked up over one loss or one victory that's hard earned and we just go off the deep end and forget how well we're actually doing.

Gears brings out the rage.

And RSTEIN, I don't think you can take the blame for our whole team losing at all. 1 on 1 situations may not be your strongest point but we're the ones leaving you like that in the first place so we're not any less to blame than you. Plus that 1 vs. 1 on Blood Drive last night was a joke anyways, there's no way that guy shouldn't have been downed with how many shotgun shots you put right into him.

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
On another note, I believe today is the first day I've realized how addicted to Gears I am. Every night when we're done I'll either be in a great mood or pissed as fuck. Then I'll tell myself that I need to take a break from all of the 'bullshit'. But when it comes down to it, the next day while in class or at work, all I wanna do is go home and play Gears again. :D

R4G3
Oh boy, I know all about that. Last night we finished up and I thought to myself "time to take a couple of days off from Gears", and then today I'm sitting here looking at stats, comparing myself to teammates, etc. and I all I want to really can't wait to do is get on the Xbox tonight with the group and kick some ass for a few hours like always.

Gears R4G3.

RSTEIN

Aladuf said:
And RSTEIN, I don't think you can take the blame for our whole team losing at all. 1 on 1 situations may not be your strongest point but we're the ones leaving you like that in the first place so we're not any less to blame than you. Plus that 1 vs. 1 on Blood Drive last night was a joke anyways, there's no way that guy shouldn't have been downed with how many shotgun shots you put right into him.

Well, I think I need to define my role better on certain maps. On maps like Blood Drive, Ruins, Jacinto and Avalanche, I do pretty well despite never having any of the power weapons. On maps such as Jacinto and Blood Drive, my job is to mainly cover whoever goes for the power weapons. On Avalanche and Ruins I can survive and usually end up with a K/D ratio >1.

However, on maps like River, Hail, and Pavilion my game-and our game-falls apart a bit for some reason. These are the maps I feel we need to work the hardest on. I think we need to have at least 2 guys stick together at all times when they're away from the power weapons. For example, Kowaku, Nub and me could head straight for the middle bridge on River and try to infiltrate their base. Or on Pavilion 3 of us (while one goes for the Mortar and Third goes for the boltok) could head straight to the back and try to flank around them. On certain maps we just fall apart and get stuck in the base (River, Pavilion) or we're all just wandering around and isolated a bit from each other (Hail).

ThirdEngine said:

R4G3
Tell me about it. I have a real love-hate relationship with this game. Mood changes from "oh god yes, so good, I love it" to "I want to smash the fucking 360 and kill epic devs fuuuuuck" happen in intervals of minutes.

RSTEIN

Hellraizer said:
Tell me about it. I have a real love-hate relationship with this game. Mood changes from "oh god yes, so good, I love it" to "I want to smash the fucking 360 and kill epic devs fuuuuuck" happen in intervals of minutes.

Yeah, last night on River I was about to rip my DVD drive open and smash the game in half after the first two rounds. I managed to die about 20 seconds into each round without getting a single kill or point.

Then on the third round I finally managed to get the boom. I blew up two guys under the bridge, went up the ramp, hit the torque guy through the small window up in his house IN THE HEAD, proceeded across the bridge and took out the remaining guy in the house. Then I went Soooogoood.gif. Finished like 10-5 on the map :lol

Aladuf

Banned
First off @ RSTEIN, I totally get what you're saying. I've got a couple of ideas for how we play our weaker maps running through my head. I'll share them with whoever's playing tonight.

Secondly, I decided to update the 2nd post of my OP in this thread to include all of the information on past and future updates as well as DLC. I figured nobody looks at the OP anyways these days so there was no point to have all that shit about new COG's and Locust's, etc. So if you guys ever want to know what's been fixed, what's being fixed, new maps or old maps, just check the second post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13357523&postcount=2

While it is a fair to say that we aren't aggressive enough, I would rather that be the case than us being too aggressive. I mean, is it necessarily bad if we hang back as long as everyone knows what the game plan is? No, and here's why:

If you were to look at our stats from the time we started to play as a group to now, you would notice that we win a ton of matches, while usually having a good kill death ratio. Sure, we may lose every once in a while because the other team is good at being aggressive, but that doesn't seem to happen a lot. And if that does happen more and more, we can come up with strategies (like what RSTEIN and Aladuf are doing) and implement those when we need to.

To whoever plays with us that isn't a "regular" (like RSTEIN, Third, Aladuf, Warbegins, and Flunkie) please note that we tend to play back on a lot of maps, so if you love running out and exposing yourself, chances are we won't have your back.

Main point: We can use different strategies when the game calls for it, but if it doesn't, let's just do what we always do, because it works pretty well.

JB1981

The SP campaign on Insane is just fucking retarded in some areas. The tank sequence (which controls like complete ass) where you have to shoot down the bridge took me about 50 tries. You have to trigger the event to take down the bridge - by the time you can take it down you are fucking pelted with Locust gunfire and you are DEAD. The only reason I beat that level was due to sheer luck. Somehow I was able to trigger the event and not get shot at, allowing me to turn back, hide my ass behind the mountain and take the bridge out from afar. I had to peek my way around the bend of the mountain like 5 times, shoot the bridge and retreat. I can tell no one fucking play tested this sequence on Insane. Now I'm on this stupid ass fucking boat in the middle of the water and I'm getting annihilated by the Locusts gunboats.

I absolutely hate sequences like this where the player is forced onto a small play area and get creamed by enemies - worst fucking kind of scripted level design there is. Unfortunately this game has a lot of scenarios just like the one mentioned and it sours the experience, especially on your second play through on the toughest difficulty. On the positive side, some of the gun battles are damn intense and I love the variety of enemy types thrown at you at once. Just don't put me on a fucking boat, limit my freedom of movement and options and make me fucking die ten times to figure out how to progress to the next area.

I agree 100%.

But we do need new strategies for the maps RSTEIN mentioned. RJ and 'duf both have some really solid ideas on how we should play them, so tonight should hopefully go better that usual.

Zezboob

JB1981 said:
The SP campaign on Insane is just fucking retarded in some areas. The tank sequence (which controls like complete ass) where you have to shoot down the bridge took me about 50 tries. You have to trigger the event to take down the bridge - by the time you can take it down you are fucking pelted with Locust gunfire and you are DEAD. The only reason I beat that level was due to sheer luck.
Yeah that part on insane is ridiculous.
The only way I passed it on coop, is having the guy controlling the tank playing in easy :lol

JB1981 said:
Now I'm on this stupid ass fucking boat in the middle of the water and I'm getting annihilated by the Locusts gunboats.
Now that's easier. The point is... that you don't have to kill them. Just pay attention where you can hide and when you can swap position and avoid being shot... and endure. =)

JB1981 said:
I absolutely hate sequences like this where the player is forced onto a small play area and get creamed by enemies - worst fucking kind of scripted level design there is.
I disagree, personally I think that it gives a good amount of pressure :)

Petrie

Banned
If anyone is looking to play in a couple hours, shoot me an invite. GT - PetriesLastWord

I'd love to play a game with at the very least a team that attempts to work together.

draven

I'm on baby duty tonight, so I can't make it. However, I'd be completely down for any suggestions on strategies. Defensive play is nice, particularly since I prefer using the hammerburst and laying back. However, I'd think that such a defensive strategy would require an increased use of the planted smoke grenade and some crossed-up encampments (think back to that elite team on security. Any time someone was under cover, there was someone else on an opposing point with a clear shot at you. Like Raptors...

part of the issue with hanging back every game is the importance that flanking plays. I ran solo for the first couple months the game was out. as most of you know by now, just getting a random pub player standing right next to you to revive you is a difficult task. getting one to go after the same target as you is near impossible. flanking, more than anything, allowed me to do significant damage with little or no support.

when we wait for them to always initiate the combat, we are at best shooting at a group of enemies who are aware of what our team is doing. at worst, they will be getting the jump on us and hammering us from our weak side. while I don't think an all-out aggressive strategy is the missing ingredient here, changing things up on the fly and being more unpredictable is a huge asset.

it's tempting to take potshots with a rifle from long range as soon as you see a target. I find myself always whoring the Hammerburst when I probably shouldn't be. if you are behind them, it's often a much better idea to charge them with the shotty. when an enemy is bearing down on your position, holding fire until they have committed to charging at you works wonders.

I know a few of you are getting Killzone 2 tomorrow and are you guys gonna be doing the KZII for a while? If you guys are that's cool, I have plenty in backlog. Just curious is all.

Aladuf

Banned
NubCakes09 said:
I know a few of you are getting Killzone 2 tomorrow and are you guys gonna be doing the KZII for a while? If you guys are that's cool, I have plenty in backlog. Just curious is all.
I'm sure we might not be around the first few days but it's not like I'm disappearing from Gears for a few weeks or something. After these past few nights anyways, a break is what might be in order for a couple of us because nobody was having fun last night, that was obvious.

Get on that backlog for a few days and I'll be ready to go with Gears soon after. :D

Aladuf said:
I'm sure we might not be around the first few days but it's not like I'm disappearing from Gears for a few weeks or something. After these past few nights anyways, a break is what might be in order for a couple of us because nobody was having fun last night, that was obvious.

Get on that backlog for a few days and I'll be ready to go with Gears soon after. :D

haha okay, just making sure.

JB1981

When I played the first Gears religiously we ran into this group that we called The Shotty Team: their strategy literally consisted of the following;

Stick together at all times. Always on each others' hips - like 5 dudes in a straight line, shotties in hand and shotties only. If one dude went down the other guy was right there - at his hip - instantly reviving him. They fucking rushed us with the shotguns and absolutely decimated our team EVERY round. They were so good, so organized, so aggressive and exploited the overpowered shotgun SO WELL in the first game. Damn, those were the days.....

Tomcat

Hey Rod, can you please explain what you guys did to the annoying smoke grenades??

We stopped it's duration being dependent on animation and so now everyone begins to get back up after 2 seconds regardless. This is likely to make getting up look less cool but it won't be as agonizing when you're caught sliding down stairs. We've also enabled ourselves greater control over balance issues with smoke grenades.

Thanks,

Rod.

check this too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNvmZtkeY8M&feature=subscription

:lol :lol

Aladuf

Banned
Tomcat said:
Hey Rod, can you please explain what you guys did to the annoying smoke grenades??

We stopped it's duration being dependent on animation and so now everyone begins to get back up after 2 seconds regardless. This is likely to make getting up look less cool but it won't be as agonizing when you're caught sliding down stairs. We've also enabled ourselves greater control over balance issues with smoke grenades.

Thanks,

Rod.
Soooooo so so so SO good to hear.

draven

On player's choice, ended up playing 3 annex games. Out of all 3, our team was winning, and in all 3 cases, the host quit right before the second round was won.

I am just sick, sick of this shit...

NG28

Anyone having problems with timing out after awhile in Horde? It is getting real damn annoying playing Horde for like an hour just to have the connection time out. I get so mad I need to kill something, so I play more Horde and the vicious cycle continues.

Aladuf

Banned
draven said:
On player's choice, ended up playing 3 annex games. Out of all 3, our team was winning, and in all 3 cases, the host quit right before the second round was won.

I am just sick, sick of this shit...
This game severely needs some sort of host migration, too many people quit out and it happens too often that the host quits out because he's a little bitch that can't handle losing. That or stats need to count real-time, if the matches results ends up being null then fine, whatever, but when I'm in a match and I go 10-0 or something and none of it counts that really fucking sucks.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
NG28 said:
Anyone having problems with timing out after awhile in Horde? It is getting real damn annoying playing Horde for like an hour just to have the connection time out. I get so mad I need to kill something, so I play more Horde and the vicious cycle continues.

Yeah it really sucks when the host quits or when you get really close to the end and someone quits.

Speaking of quitting, I decided to play some Territories for a change. Wow, and I thought Horde was bad!! People are quitting before we get to the play the game or even see the map choices. And I hope you like Jacinto and Blood Drive, 'cause that's what your going to be playing an overwhelming majority of the time.

Today I had one of the worst post-update matches ever in wingman mode. First it started with completely broken wingman characters. Me and my buddy were Marcus, however, there were two other marcus teams, making it a total of 6...or should I say 5, as one Marcus was actually Dom. While it was funny in some instances (like my buddy throwing a smoke at me, then trying to two piece me while I was trying to chainsaw him, or when I watched how one Marcus killed another, confused if it's friend or foe lying or standing...) that shit was frustrating. On top of that, I also encountered, for the first time since the patch, that someone was able to use the invisible shield+shotty glitch again...I sure hope the shield glitch isn't coming back again.

Aladuf

Banned
Hellraizer said:
On top of that, I also encountered, for the first time since the patch, that someone was able to use the invisible shield+shotty glitch again...I sure hope the shield glitch isn't coming back again.
It's back and supposedly, according to the Epic forums thread for TU3, it's been fixed already. I hadn't encountered it yet, and I hope not to.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hmm, Epic is adding new 250 extra achievements to Gears 2 with TU3, some of which is tied to the new ranking system, and others tied to new DLC coming.

Could it correspond to Ortega's talk of Gears 2 SP DLC coming?

Aladuf

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Hmm, Epic is adding new 250 extra achievements to Gears 2 with TU3, some of which is tied to the new ranking system, and others tied to new DLC coming.

Could it correspond to Ortega's talk of Gears 2 SP DLC coming?
Where did you see that, on the Epic forums somewhere?

I guess this means that Gears 2 is getting the >1,250 achievement point treatment like Halo 3?

edit: Just checked, it seems like they were just saying that they're able to add 250 points to their game so they'll be doing it. There's been 175 already, so I guess we'll see the last 75 with this update along with the DLC soon after.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Aladuf said:
Where did you see that, on the Epic forums somewhere?

I guess this means that Gears 2 is getting the >1,250 achievement point treatment like Halo 3?

edit: Just checked, it seems like they were just saying that they're able to add 250 points to their game so they'll be doing it. There's been 175 already, so I guess we'll see the last 75 with this update along with the DLC soon after.

True, but as far as I know, they can keep adding achievements in chunks of 250 as long as it's tied to new DLC. Halo 3 has up to 1750 and Fallout 3 is going to go above the 1250 limit once the next two DLC packs arrive for it.

And damn, reading that thread of all the changes/tweaks/fixes they're doing for Gears 2 in TU3, you'd think Gears 3 would be launching. :lol

<3 Epic.

EDIT: I just read a couple pages of the thread towards the end and someone quoted an earlier post from Mr. Rod Fergusson confirming it's 250 added to the 1175 that's already there. :D

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
You know over the past few days it has finally dawned on me what Gear of War 2's biggest problem is, it ain't lag, glitches, A.I., etc..............................................................

NO F**KING COLE TRAIN RAP

What the hell Epic?!! How could you not put that shit in there?

There definitely needs to be a Cole Train Rap 2 in Gears of War 3.

Gig said:
You know over the past few days it has finally dawned on me what Gear of War 2's biggest problem is, it ain't lag, glitches, A.I., etc..............................................................

NO F**KING COLE TRAIN RAP

What the hell Epic?!! How could you not put that shit in there?

There definitely needs to be a Cole Train Rap 2 in Gears of War 3.

I thought there was a Cole Train Rap in Gears of War 2..

whitehawk

Banned
WHAT THE FUCK!

I had one of the new chip 360s (not jasper the one before) and just 2 minutes ago I launch gears. Im looking for a match, and it feezes. I turn the 360 off. Turn it on, and it freezes in the 360 intro screen. Reset again.. RROD!

Fuuck, I never thought this would happen to me, my 360 was perfect :( Had the quiet drive and everything. Fuck..

:( You guys wont see me on gears for a little while :(

Zezboob

Tomcat said:

Thanks,

Rod.
Can't wait !

I really want to plays Gears 2 again :D

RSTEIN

whitehawk said:
WHAT THE FUCK!

I had one of the new chip 360s (not jasper the one before) and just 2 minutes ago I launch gears. Im looking for a match, and it feezes. I turn the 360 off. Turn it on, and it freezes in the 360 intro screen. Reset again.. RROD!

Fuuck, I never thought this would happen to me, my 360 was perfect :( Had the quiet drive and everything. Fuck..

:( You guys wont see me on gears for a little while :(

RIP Whitehawk's 360. You served honourably. May you find peace in the afterlife.

whitehawk

Banned
Wierd, its not RRODing anymore. instead it just freezes 5 minutes after I turn on my 360. Sucks. Well, time to call Microsoft.

If I bitch enough, will they send me free pointsÉ

RSTEIN

whitehawk said:
Wierd, its not RRODing anymore. instead it just freezes 5 minutes after I turn on my 360. Sucks. Well, time to call Microsoft.

They gave me a year of Xbox Live. No points tho.

*Guaraná

Banned
just finished the game. it's wonderful, perhaps the most beautiful of this generation: BUT HOW CAN A GAME BE SO SHORT AND SO EASY ?

less than 9:30hrs here in the hard.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
whitehawk said:

They gave me a free vision cam, mic, 1 month gold pack

The vision cam is pretty cool actually, makes the premium themes look awesome

RSTEIN

Oh man, this triumphs Aladuf's random rank changes. I create a private Horde match for myself (I'm trying to get to wave 10 on each of the flashback maps). I die on wave 8. I go back to the lobby to try a different map.

Demoted to rank 2. :lol

I haven't played Gears multiplayer for like 2 weeks!

Top Bottom