• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

cresto

DKo5 said:
My guy who is supposedly getting it today is in the valley.

I know of a few places in LA who have said they'd start selling it, and they're likely to start getting it today.
Where in the valley? I gotta go back home to vote (which is near san fran valley). PM LOCATIONS PLZZZZZ!

Arnie

Facism said:
anyone know if any UK retailers are giving shyte away with GoW2 or doing any special promotions?
I know that Gamestation are offering the first batch of pre-orders a free splatterhead locust figurine and a COG tag at their midnight launches. However if you don't already have a pre-order with them, I don't know how strong your chances of getting the bonuses are. You could always go pester your local Gamestation and attempt to get your name on the list.

To Wizeman, not all 360 owners, I am extremely excited for KZ2, however I am more excited for Gears 2 and I realise that for me, it will be where I spend my time online for the next 2 years.
Aladuf said:
Wave 50 of Horde on Insane

Sure it's just one guy attempting it just to show off how hard it is or whatever but Horde/Insane seems like it'll be unrelenting. To the ones of us who will be attempting Horde on Insane on Friday... get ready.
Holy beard of Zeus, those Bloodmounts look Insane. Horde is going to ruin my life.

moai

Hellraizer said:
It should. Most DLC works without region locks. I have redeemed so many PAL codes / downloaded so many DLC on my US account, and every single one worked with my PAL games. (Fable II le bonus, Ninja Gaiden II preorder costumes, Mass Effect DLC, IU preorder bonus etc.)

not really, gears map pack is still region locked here in chile..........:(

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Aladuf said:

Sure it's just one guy attempting it just to show off how hard it is or whatever but Horde/Insane seems like it'll be unrelenting. To the ones of us who will be attempting Horde on Insane on Friday... get ready. :D

LOL @ the beginning when he thinks he can take on that Bloodmount and then just dies in like half a second. :lol

Aladuf

Banned
-ARNiE- said:
To Wizeman, not all 360 owners, I am extremely excited for KZ2, however I am more excited for Gears 2 and I realise that for me, it will be where I spend my time online for the next 2 years.
Definitely, Killzone 2 is going to be fucking ace. But same here, Gears 2 will be my go-to game for the next couple years just like Gears 1 has been.

Domino Theory said:
LOL @ the beginning when he thinks he can take on that Bloodmount and then just dies in like half a second. :lol
:lol I know, he kinda sets up shop up in the old Hammerbust corner and just expects to take it on.. fail.

Tieno

Aladuf said:

Sure it's just one guy attempting it just to show off how hard it is or whatever but Horde/Insane seems like it'll be unrelenting. To the ones of us who will be attempting Horde on Insane on Friday... get ready. :D
I forgot you can play Horde on different MP maps, wonder how that's going to influence if at all. Like there'll be notoriously difficult or easy horde maps.

edit: wow, that first ROAR scared me. Great sound design.

moai said:
not really, gears map pack is still region locked here in chile..........:(
Thats something different. Any gears content is locked in germany as well, for example (videos, maps, everything), but if you get it through a VPN tunnel, it will work.

Before they started to lock the regions due to their IP I was able to snag the first Gears map pack from the US store, and it worked perfectly with my PAL Gears.

As long as he doesn't live in a country which is locked out of content (Chile, Greece, Germany...) it should be fine...

Aladuf

Banned
Tieno said:
I forgot you can play Horde on different MP maps, wonder how that's going to influence if at all. Like there'll be notoriously difficult or easy horde maps.

edit: wow, that first ROAR scared me. Great sound design.
That's what I heard it'll be like, some maps will be easier for it and others will be more difficult. There are leaderboards for every map individually so at least the high scores on easy maps won't be meshed together with high scores on harder maps.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Man, I am replaying the original game, its been about a year since Ive gone through it last. Holy fuck this game is awesome.

Two things I want them to fix.

1) Dom is an idiot, especially in the nightfall stages. That guy walks into Krill more than he should. I know it rocks during coop, but I don't always want to deal with that.

2) I dont like the "horror" stage in the factory where the exploding things come at you.

I just left the mine and am headed to Marcus' house, so I'm really getting towards the end of the game. It's amazing how the game still looks so great compared to anything else out there.

I am so excited for Friday. This whole weekend = GOW2.

I will say the length of this game is perfect. I hope GOW2 isnt any longer or shorter, it's amazing how throughout the entire game it has such great pacing and set pieces.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I don't have a 360 but I thought you guys might like this. On my way home from picking up R2 I ran into a friend who knows pretty much nothing about video games. I showed her I got R2 and guess what she said? "Oh why didn't you get Gears of War?" :lol

... ;_;

sykoex said:
I don't have a 360 but I thought you guys might like this. On my way home from picking up R2 I ran into a friend who knows pretty much nothing about video games. I showed her I got R2 and guess what she said? "Oh why didn't you get Gears of War?" :lol

... ;_;
Girlfriend mode vindicated. Cliff was right.

I was surprised by a few things in Gears 2, the story is the first, they have come a long way.
I did feel like it started ripping off Halo for a second in some parts of the story but not a huge problem

The friendly AI is a lot better but still has it's moments (mainly due to the waterhose effect of gunfire)

Can't wait for more multiplayer action.

Karish

Anyone not planning on using their code to get the five multiplayer remakes, want to give it to me? I'd be willing to pay

ShinAmano

Went to Circuit City to see stock of 1600pt cards and neatly hid one for me on Friday...

Is there any game content differences out there for pre-order or not or legendary vs standard
?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Did the pre-order plus free $10 Wal-Mart gift card deal. Hopefully I get the game sometime around the actual release. My frothing demand, and etc.

Treo360

Brianemone said:
I was surprised by a few things in Gears 2, the story is the first, they have come a long way.
I did feel like it started ripping off Halo for a second in some parts of the story but not a huge problem

The friendly AI is a lot better but still has it's moments (mainly due to the waterhose effect of gunfire)

Can't wait for more multiplayer action.

Dude how about

When Cole got on the Horn and started to preach to the Queen on the Mic? I laughed so hard that was Golden. Also the Dominic Story arc and how it ended. Wow fucked up

VaLiancY

Aladuf said:

I love the sound of the Bloodmount's mask coming off. It sounds like a cast iron skillet I use for cooking steak dropped on the floor.:D

p3tran

Banned
Hellraizer said:
Thats something different. Any gears content is locked in germany as well, for example (videos, maps, everything), but if you get it through a VPN tunnel, it will work.

Before they started to lock the regions due to their IP I was able to snag the first Gears map pack from the US store, and it worked perfectly with my PAL Gears.

As long as he doesn't live in a country which is locked out of content (Chile, Greece, Germany...) it should be fine...

yeah, exactly the same here. I was able to get all maps because I downloaded them the minute they where available, way before that STUPID MOTHERFUCKING REGION LOCK!
then my friends ...couldnt!! and all new guys on 360 couldnt either!!

sometimes I wonder if we live in a totally STUPID world:

Gears of War is freely available in all stores in Greece, and has always been,
yet its content is locked in xboxlive(!!!)

All 18+ games are FREELY AVAILABLE IN GREECE. or better, ALL games are freely available in Greece.

So, someone has fallen asleep at microsoft offices for over 20 months!!

anyway, Hellraizer I might send you a pm for that vpn bullshit we are forced to go through.
thanks

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
One thing I'm worried about for Gears 2 is voice chat. I'm in love with Halo 3's option to either set voice chat to everyone, or team and party only, or mute all. Will Gears 2 have similar options? I don't want to hear the immature randoms/opponents I'm bound to run into every game, but I don't want to set my Xbox Live voice settings to Friends Only.

p3tran said:
anyway, Hellraizer I might send you a pm for that vpn bullshit we are forced to go through.
thanks
Sure thing, though I am also awaiting further input from somebody else righ now (further input being a link to a guide how to set up the 360 properly). I never done it before myself but I know some people who successfully downloaded any gears content on the us store.

AMUSIX

Ha, I think I just confused someone. They called "Are you selling Gears of War 2 yet?" my response was "Did you vote?"

I figure if Starbucks can give out free coffee to voters, and Ben&Jerry's can give free ice cream, I'm not out of place with my question.

Still, it threw him, kept asking me what if he decided not to vote.

VASPER

Banned
So is the emblem next to your name in multiplayer your rank or what, and if it is how do you get higher one? Do the points count for anything like oyur rank can someone explain!

ascully

cybropm said:
Damn Gamestop screwed up my order! Pre-ordered it months ago and paid for release date delivery and now it's status is back ordered. :(

Sent them some angry emails canceling my order and now going through Amazon. Hopefully it will be here day one.

Look forward to seeing you all online. :D

My LE also says backordered and I ordered it months ago for overnight delivery, I called Gamestop and they say they havnt screwed up the order and it will arrive Friday as promised.

ksamedi

I dindn't expect to like the first one but I liked it quite a lot. Now I have to admit that I can't wait for this one. I didn't even read any of the reviews. I know what to expect and I'm sure EPIC will deliver.

DoomGyver

Something is wrong with GameStops website. I pre-ordered the last stand strategy guide and it was supposed to ship today, well the site says back-ordered. So I emailed help@gamestop.com and told them I would like to cancel because I don't want to wait, I'd just pick it up at the store on launch night. The rep responded telling me it was already packaged ready to ship and that they couldn't cancel my order.

So it's just a website fuck up.

ksamedi said:
I dindn't expect to like the first one but I liked it quite a lot. Now I have to admit that I can't wait for this one. I didn't even read any of the reviews. I know what to expect and I'm sure EPIC will deliver.
I actually kinda hated Gears1 at first, but I warmed up to it and ending up loving it.

sykoex said:

... ;_;

Date this woman, then marry and make other awesome gears kids!

ksamedi

_dementia said:
I actually kinda hated Gears1 at first, but I warmed up to it and ending up loving it.

I kind of had the same thing. I hated the artstyle and cliche western shooter design and forced myself to not play it untill I got a copy for cheap. I'm glad I played it. Great game, especially in co-op.

Feindflug

p3tran said:
yeah, exactly the same here. I was able to get all maps because I downloaded them the minute they where available, way before that STUPID MOTHERFUCKING REGION LOCK!
then my friends ...couldnt!! and all new guys on 360 couldnt either!!

sometimes I wonder if we live in a totally STUPID world:

Gears of War is freely available in all stores in Greece, and has always been,
yet its content is locked in xboxlive(!!!)

All 18+ games are FREELY AVAILABLE IN GREECE. or better, ALL games are freely available in Greece.

So, someone has fallen asleep at microsoft offices for over 20 months!!

thanks

Well the worst part is that from what I've heard from some guys that got the game early here in Athens their copy didn't have the maps code...yeah that sucks even more. :(

I blame Epic for not including the maps on disc - all this "map code only in brand new copies" was a really stupid idea.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Feindflug said:
I blame Epic for not including the maps on disc - all this "map code only in brand new copies" was a really stupid idea.

Well, unfortunately it's going to become a big trend. In order to a) reduce piracy and b) limit the used games market you gotta give people an incentive to buy new.

zaidr

_dementia said:

Same thing happened with me. I got it in March 07, well after the hype, and ended up thinking it was kind of a let down. The more I played though, they more I liked the game, until I ended up loving it. Still my most played game.

RSTEIN said:
Well, unfortunately it's going to become a big trend. In order to a) reduce piracy and b) limit the used games market you gotta give people an incentive to buy new.

Also I am pretty sure Epic didn't begin updating the old maps untill after Gears 2 went gold.

Shins

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
Holy shit! Looks even harder than I expected. Fuck it, we will so
most likely not
tear that shit up. :D
not without proper battlefield evaluation.
side.gif

My PLAY.COM pre-order of the LE has now changed to "Order Placed" :)

The LE is no longer available to buy on there, but the standard one's status has now changed to "In stock, usually ships within 24hrs" so I presume they've already started to process them. Usually when I pre-order it arrives about 2 days after the status changes, so I may be lucky and get it Thursday.

:D

Top Bottom