• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

cresto

I forgot 7-11's have games now. Probably worth a shot, but I really want that free $20 from CC.

There is the first 15 avail here: http://www.g4tv.com/trailers/hdvideos/34682/Gears_of_War_2_DirectFeed_First_15_Gameplay_Footage.html

I kinda wanna watch it but don't at the same time. Worth it?

This is by far one of my most anticipated this year...The whole reason I bought my 360 was for GoW. I still prefer GoW over any of the newer shooters and so I've been playing it for about a year and a half (got the xbox for xmas of '06).

Anybody in the LA area wanna hit me up friday night, I am looking for some locals to play horde with. XBL GT: FREIGHT TRAIN68

I attend Cal Poly, anybody else? system link on this lan is fucking unbelievable.

Aladuf

Banned
unomas said:
Without radar in a game the shotty will always be a go to weapon. Raven down was my favorite map in Gears, hopefully it gets brought back or a similar map replaces it. I'm happy they nerfed the sniper rifle, no more 1 shot downs and now it will actually take skill to use it.
Seriously the map "Day One" is basically Raven Down. It's just one big intersection with something in the middle, only now we have some upper roof areas. I can't wait to play it. :D

unomas

Banned
Aladuf said:
Seriously the map "Day One" is basically Raven Down. It's just one big intersection with something in the middle, only now we have some upper roof areas. I can't wait to play it. :D

Perfect, can't wait to play it and start getting my kill count up. I started playing strictly Raven down matches 19 rounds once I go to 2,000 kills online and didn't stop until I got my seriously at 12,000+.

Teknoman

MercuryLS said:
Nerfed shotty makes me happy, maybe it won't be shotguns of war anymore. This game is supposed to be tactical, not doing shotgun dances all over the fucking place.

So happy. I hated how the battles devolved into shotgun party 2k7.

Excellent that its more strategic and actually achieved "stop n pop" now.

So I guess hardcore = SP and Insane = Co-op? Unless Insane isnt unlocked from the start. Cant remember how that worked in Gears 1.

Also I guess GAF will be having some Co-op run throughs on friday?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Meh, I was supposed to get this game in the middle of October. Instead I'm waiting until tomorrow to play through co op with my friend.

Tomorrow will be nice though.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Full Recovery said:
The reduced the damage on the lancer, boltok, snub, and gnasher from Gears 1.

The boltok is less powerful?! That thing was already a piece of junk to begin with.

Ramirez said:
The boomshot had basically no splash damage in the campaign.

fixed

tell that shit to beast Valvoga

I never actually use it that much, not because I don't want to but because you don't start off with it (that never made any sense to me, on Fuel Depot it is a shorter distance to the grenades and Longshot, and on some maps there isn't even a Hammerburst).

zewone

Sectus said:
Any reports on the netcode? Is there still bullet lag and a big host advantage?
I'd say it's about the same, except with random hosts.

I've been playing a lot of foreigners and the lag is terrible, I don't know why the game would choose them as host.

I can't wait until Friday hits so I'll be playing a lot more Americans. When it's all Americans, it's smooth.

Only gripes online so far are that the lancer chainsaw is absolutely broken/ridiculous now. It's almost impossible to make someone lower their chainsaw when they're running at you with it like in Gears 1.

My other gripe is that it's too easy to hit random, planted grenades.

cresto

zewone said:
Only gripes online so far are that the lancer chainsaw is absolutely broken/ridiculous now. It's almost impossible to make someone lower their chainsaw when they're running at you with it like in Gears .
wtf? Are you serious? why the hell would they do that! it made since you got stunned for trying to be a douche and chainsaw.

is it true that if you have a lancer out and the guy walks up to you trying to chainsaw you automatically start the dual?

Sectus

zewone said:

I've been playing a lot of foreigners and the lag is terrible, I don't know why the game would choose them as host.

I can't wait until Friday hits so I'll be playing a lot more Americans. When it's all Americans, it's smooth.

Only gripes online so far are that the lancer chainsaw is absolutely broken/ridiculous now. It's almost impossible to make someone lower their chainsaw when they're running at you with it like in Gears 1.

So bullet lag is still in the game? That's what specifically made Gears 1 hard for me to play online with friends (they're in america and I'm in norway), I would have to fire ahead of people to hit them and judging exactly where I should aim was impossible.

If you're not sure, you should be able to test it by simply firing at a wall. Horde would probably be easy to test as well because you already have a good idea of how responsive aiming at AI enemies is from the singleplayer campaign.

Dirtbag

p3tran said:
play the game, dont jump to conclussions!

the balancing is different now, deeper.

I can echo some of the things he's saying... lag has been hit and miss, but it also took quite a while to find a match with the tiny online population. I'm sure when there are more poeple online, it will have an easier / better time at selecting the host.

Must say the vote for gametype / map in the lobby is pretty freaking cool... Much prefered method over Halo's veto system. Will be interesting to see how well it works over time to diversify the multiplayer selection, as it seems people go straight for 'warzone' everytime it comes up.

Hail is one awesome map.

zewone said:

Lower than a chainsaw??? ohh and on the host thing welcome to our world mate, where host is always american even if the server is mostly european lol.

zewone

Sectus said:
So bullet lag is still in the game? That's what specifically made Gears 1 hard for me to play online with friends (they're in america and I'm in norway), I would have to fire ahead of people to hit them and judging exactly where I should aim was impossible.

If you're not sure, you should be able to test it by simply firing at a wall. Horde would probably be easy to test as well because you already have a good idea of how responsive aiming at AI enemies is from the singleplayer campaign.
There is bullet lag, all depends on the host.

As for lowering their chainsaw, if they're running at you with a chainsaw, you have to kill them or down them if you don't want to get insta-killed. It's really hard to make them stop, and it's very annoying

Hammer24 said:
Hey Hellraizer, any news on this VPN tunnel?
I hope I'm getting the link tonight.

One thing I already know: a decent tunnel costs money (about 2-3 euros, free tunnels are slow) and you need two network cards or a certain router (don't know which one)

zewone said:

As for lowering their chainsaw, if they're running at you with a chainsaw, you have to kill them or down them if you don't want to get insta-killed. It's really hard to make them stop, and it's very annoying

I thought if you shot them it would slow them down, isnt that what epic showed and talked about to stop the shotgun charge and chainsaw lunge.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
zewone said:

Wouldn't stopping power...stop that?

Papercuts said:
Wouldn't stopping power...stop that?
It should, right? Since everything else gets stopped? I hope Epic wasn't that dumb and left the stopping power out for the chainsaw? Are they trying to fully replace the shotgun with the Chainsaw or what?

zewone

Hellraizer said:
So the chainsaw still acts as one giant vacuum cleaner?
Yep.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to come off overly negative. I still love the game, and it's my GOTY. There are just a couple of annoyances that can easily be fixed with a patch (like grenade tagging in the first Gears).

Hellraizer said:
So the chainsaw still acts as one giant vacuum cleaner?

Im not to fussed if it works more or less like it did i mean its like the sword lock on without the massive auto lunge. As long as stopping power works so i can stop the people that rush you.

Dirtbag

I'm dissapointed thus far with the game's soundtrack.
None of the music is very memorable (yet) and seems to take much less risks than the GoW1 soundtrack did. Nothing has really grabbed me, and I'm finding the music to be a much more subtle complement then anything else.

Dirtbag

Some slightly spoilery stuff (level):

Holy shit at
the Contra
homage...
that's one crazy looking level, you'll know it when you get there.

Also, the rain sound effects when you are inside and the droplets are hitting the windows, are nothing short of amazing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sionyboy said:
Gears of War 2 - Dispatched

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously considering installing the NXE so I can install the game. :/
Gears of War had virtually no load times, what's the point?

Rez>You said:
Gears of War had virtually no load times, what's the point?

The noise. I had a Falcon 360 with a Benq drive which wasn't too bad but that RROD'd and I got a Falcon back but with a Hitachi drive and its a lot noisier :(

The only thing stopping me is the thought of missing out on
a) Horde
b) Left 4 Dead demo (and any other demos that might get released)

S1kkZ

got the game 10 minutes ago and i am having huge problems.
i am stuck in the difficulty setting screen for minutes. i want to start the campaign, select the difficultx and nothing happens. it takes minutes until he loads the campaign.

then i wanted to try some mp maps with bots: not working. the game ist not loading the mp at all.

what the hell?

FFChris

MercuryLS said:
Nerfed shotty makes me happy, maybe it won't be shotguns of war anymore. This game is supposed to be tactical, not doing shotgun dances all over the fucking place.

Totally agree, that's what killed Gears 1 MP for me. Hooray for strategy back in the game!

Dahbomb

My initial impressions. I am playing the game on Hardcore and I am on the mission
where you have to kill the giant worm from the inside.

I don't know the name of many of the weapons/characters but I still have been playing Gears for quite some time.

*It is easier to get headshots with the Revolver (I think it's called Boltok), at least it is for me. People should be using this weapon more. It has more of an impact on the enemy but it may do less damage.

*Shotgun/Gnasher is the one weapon that is the MOST nerfed. Even at really close range it takes like 3-4 shots to take down an enemy. It does however cause a bigger stun than before meaning it is easier to land more hits after you get the first one off. Also it's range is increased slightly so you can hit and slightly stun enemies at almost mid range. But yeah damage is CRAP now, lower in short range AND in long range.

*It is no longer possible to whore with the Snub like you can in Gears. It is a decent weapon at best now.

*It's probably just me but the new Gorgon Pistol or whatever is insanely crap. It's shooting is divided into 4 clips so it comes out in bursts of 4. Problem is that after every burst there is considerably lag time. You need to make sure you hit with every burst or else you are fucked. But the shots are really fast.

*Mortar is pretty cool, at least in the campaign it is. So is the new Minigun but you need to plant it to make it have any sort of accuracy.

*Chainsawing is more powerful now. More powerful as in it's harder for the enemy to lower your chainsaw at a certain distance. This pretty much means that the dev WANT you to get into chain saw duels. It is possible to chain-link many chainsaw attacks because of this.

*Longshot/Sniper is about the same, good thing for me as that's my favorite/best weapon. :)

*Horde mode is pretty hard on Hardcore and it ramps up really quickly. At least it's hard going at it solo, I am sure it is A LOT easy with 5 people. You can do Horde mode on different levels.

*Game plays slower than Gears, slower walking speed. Roddie run it's hard to tell if its faster or the same but you need to be relying on it more to get around.

*Insane isn't unlocked from the start, the rest of the 3 difficulties are. You need to beat the game at least once to unlock Insane.

*The Locust equivalent of the Lancer (the one that didn't have the chainsaw I think it's called Hammerburst) is really powerful and packs quite a punch. It has two modes of shooting now, rapid fire and hold fire shot. Unlike in Gears where a lot of people missed out on this weapon, this time it's worth getting.

*Lancer it self stuns the enemy more this time around but does less damage.

Other notes:

*You can stick grenades on walls. Pretty fucking cool especially when you know where an E-hole is coming from and you can just stick a couple grenades there.

*There is a new type of Grenade
the Ink grenade. If you get in its vicinity it will black out your vision and will cause slight damage to you.

*Grenades seem to be more powerful but still are generally crap.

*There are a bunch of new enemies,
one in particular carry mines over their backs and run at full speed at you. There are also enemies mounted on creatures that really give a run for your money.

*AI partners revive you this time. Also when you are downed, you can crawl your way to a safer location. To balance this out, you drain out of blood really fast when you crawl. At least there is a meter showing you when you are about to drain out of blood completely.

*There is a training mode which is really more like training for the multiplayer. You play bots and they are fairly challenging, not like the grunts you see in campaign.

*You can have different difficulties for your partner and yourself. Like I play on Hardcore and my cousin plays on Normal. It works out really well. It may be me but the enemies seem to concentrate more on the person who is Hardcore.

Will give more impressions once I am done with the campaign and have experienced most of the weapons.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Now has the shotgun really been nerfed or has the game just been balanced??? I am seeing different takes on it. Some people saying 3 shots to 4 close range, I think that has to be an exaggeration. I had no problem with power of the shotgun from the first game, just with rolling shotgun.

DarkJC

Not a Jellyfish said:
Now has the shotgun really been nerfed or has the game just been balanced??? I am seeing different takes on it. Some people saying 3 shots to 4 close range, I think that has to be an exaggeration. I had no problem with power of the shotgun from the first game, just with rolling shotgun.

I'm pretty sure the shotgun has been nerfed comparing it to the first game. Personally I'm glad, the shotgun was way too powerful in the first game imo.

Dahbomb said:
*You can have different difficulties for your partner and yourself. Like I play on Hardcore and my cousin plays on Normal. It works out really well. It may be me but the enemies seem to concentrate more on the person who is Hardcore.
Very cool.

zaidr

Not a Jellyfish said:

From my limited playtime, I can say that the shotgun feels very different if you're used to playing Gears of War. Its much more like a pump action shotgun now, and you have to listen for the "Ka-Chink" to know when you're able to shoot. They've made it so that its slower, as in, the time between shots in increased, making the shotgun "slower".

I've had instances where, while i'm in cover, I pop out and take a shot at an oncoming enemy, pop back down, and when I pop back up again, I can't shoot because the shotgun hasn't "Ka-Chink"ed fully yet - I'm still used to the Gears 1 timing for the shotgun, and even that slight difference throws you off.

I can say for a fact that its still very powerful. I have been walking up to an enemy shotgunning him, and again, because of the timing, I didn't shoot when I was closest, and I get blown apart with one shotgun shot up close. So...that still happens.

Taurus

Got the game today. :D

Waiting for friend to get here so we can start playing co-op. Impressions later if I can force myself away from the TV.

Chinner

Banned
Monkeylord said:
Yeah, and it's been listed as "packing" all fucking day now - this doesn't bode well for me getting it by Friday :(
it'll be sent out, dont worry. the status of it will probably change at like 4 pm or someting lo

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
zaidr said:
From my limited playtime, I can say that the shotgun feels very different if you're used to playing Gears of War. Its much more like a pump action shotgun now, and you have to listen for the "Ka-Chink" to know when you're able to shoot. They've made it so that its slower, as in, the time between shots in increased, making the shotgun "slower".

I've had instances where, while i'm in cover, I pop out and take a shot at an oncoming enemy, pop back down, and when I pop back up again, I can't shoot because the shotgun hasn't "Ka-Chink"ed fully yet - I'm still used to the Gears 1 timing for the shotgun, and even that slight difference throws you off.

I can say for a fact that its still very powerful. I have been walking up to an enemy shotgunning him, and again, because of the timing, I didn't shoot when I was closest, and I get blown apart with one shotgun shot up close. So...that still happens.

Thanks for the clarification. Will be interesting to figure out the timing for the shotgun. Doubt I will really use it as much this time around though.

h3ro

I love games like this that are full to the brim with replayability and value. Similar to how I feel with LBP, I really feel like I'll get my money's worth... This one will be in my 360 for a longggg time (even though it'll just sit there, thanks installs! :p )

Great impressions so far and I'm kicking myself from ordering it online and now having to wait...
and missing out on the gold hammerburst :/

Top Bottom