• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Hawk269 said:
After playing Gears 2 and getting to the final chapter of Act 2 ( I know I am not far), I decided to play some Gears 1 and let me tell you there is a world of difference visually between the two games. The intro part to Gears 2 was a little too much like Gears 1, but once you go outside and you get into Act 2, holy shit the visuals just blow you away.

But playing a bit of Gears 1 you really appreciate how far Cliff and the kids were able to really push the envelope with this game.

So...is Gears 3 a 360 game or a future console? We know it is coming in 2 years...
I was doing a Gears run the last week right up to Gears 2, and the difference is very noticeable, even with minor details like the camera shake/blur/distance to Marcus. A lot more detail has been put to everything, and even flaws of UE3 has been cleaned up. You know it's a UE3 game when you see flat shading, and then the sudden texture pop-in. In here, if and when it did happen (which is much less often), it's a much more gradual transition.

Sailor

A couple of questions please:

1) Is there any [effective] way to shoot a shotgun/Lancer without aiming? Seriously, I can't get 1 kill with a shotgun if I don't aim with the left trigger..it's VERY inaccurate.

2) What sensitivity do you guys put yours on? I play on normal/medium atm and thinking of changing it. The reticule while aiming moves pretty sluggish.

3) Ithere's no like OFFICIAL way to change the number of times you can respawn in DEATHMATCH gametypes like Execution/Warzone? Or at least the number of deaths per round?

I was doing 1 on 1 with a friend and it was kinda annoying it ending after every kill.

Was is always like this? Or did they change it? I'm pretty surprised there's no option to change it....I thought all multiplayer games had respawning.

Xevren

Sailor said:
A couple of questions please:

1) Is there any [effective] way to shoot a shotgun/Lancer without aiming? Seriously, I can't get 1 kill with a shotgun if I don't aim with the left trigger..it's VERY inaccurate.

2) What sensitivity do you guys put yours on? I play on normal/medium atm and thinking of changing it. The reticule while aiming moves pretty sluggish.

3) Ithere's no like OFFICIAL way to change the number of times you can respawn in DEATHMATCH gametypes like Execution/Warzone? Or at least the number of deaths per round?

I was doing 1 on 1 with a friend and it was kinda annoying it ending after every kill.

Was is always like this? Or did they change it? I'm pretty surprised there's no option to change it....I thought all multiplayer games had respawning.

The only mode that has respawning in GOW games is Annex. It's always been like this, very team oriented.

Sailor

Xevren said:
The only mode that has respawning in GOW games is Annex. It's always been like this, very team oriented.

Team oriented in that you have to work together to stay alive? ..This is new to me :lol

Awntawn

"SHOOT THE GUNS OFF OF THAT THING!"

/splat

Anyone else? >.>

Sailor

Ramirez said:
Matchmaking not working for anyone else?

Works for me...found my whole team, but then it was taking too long to find the other team so I just left. Unless that's what you mean by it not working?

Xevren said:

"Guardian" also has respawning, but only as long as the team leader is alive. Once he's out everyone on that team is down to one life only.

Riptwo

So on top of the French hardcover book, I think I ended up with a defective Gears 2 disc along with a friend who purchased the game at a totally different store. It makes a terrible noise every time it's inserted into the drive, and takes forever to load. At first I figured that my 360's drive must be going, but we tried another friend's copy in the same machine and it's fine.

To prevent my DVD drive from exploding, I guess I'm gonna have to put horde mode off until tomorrow and hope that the retailer lets me exchange my copy of the game.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I wish there was an option to leave the game when it ends. I literally hate the 25 seconds of shame whenever a party makes fun of random pugs and trash talk. It's a shame there's no quick mute option either..

Awntawn

Ok seriously, I can't get past this Brumack on the
rig level
. Right after the
corpsers ambush a couple of rigs, a Brumack appears from the front and fills my ass with missiles.
Apparently I'm supposed to
"SHOOT THE GUNS OFF THAT THING",
but it has 3 and I can get 2 before I see myself in gibs. The worst part is that the checkpoint is so far away and I have to sit through that whole scripted sequence again every single time I fail... Any tips? ><

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Awntawn said:
rig level
. Right after the
corpsers ambush a couple of rigs, a Brumack appears from the front and fills my ass with missiles.
but it has 3 and I can get 2 before I see myself in gibs. The worst part is that the checkpoint is so far away and I have to sit through that whole scripted sequence again every single time I fail... Any tips? ><

shoot him in the head

duckroll

Just got back with the LE, downloading the Flashback map pack now. Really nice package, better than GoW1. I'm glad it's not a fucking tin anymore. :D

Ramirez

Sailor said:
Works for me...found my whole team, but then it was taking too long to find the other team so I just left. Unless that's what you mean by it not working?

Nah, it just endlessly loops back to the first option, never finds teammates. =\ :(

Awntawn

DopeyFish said:
shoot him in the head
First before shooting his arms? Or just keep shooting him in the head?

EDIT: Well damn, looks like I was trying too hard and getting my ass kicked for it. I was trying to blow off all 3 guns 3;

adam_grif

Banned
Awntawn said:
rig level
. Right after the

protip.jpg

Postman has been and he didn't bring my copy of Gears 2.....

BOLLOCKS. Things were meant to be different, everything was meant to have changed! Impeach Obama!!

edit: apologies to my postman.... he just returned with a dvd-sized parcel for me. We should still impeach Obama though. :D

newsguy

Hot damn this game is sick. I have to get back into the Gears rhythm though, it's slower than other games in multi and I forgot that. Once I got my first 2 kill boomshot though I was thrilled.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This game is something special. Just finished Act 2.

*goes back to playing*

duffey

Spent three hours co-oping split-screen style with a friend and I gotta say, even the first two acts blow away what I've played of the first one. I really loved the
"movable" cover in Act 2 with the Rockworm. That was awesome.

Probably gonna dive into multiplayer tomorrow but so far so good!

2real4tv

Just got my copy from Walmart...got several gifts too.
- code for the gold Hammerburst
- snap bracelet
- bottle opener
- key chain

seat

If someone has a spare code would they please be gracious enough to PM it to me? My undying gratitude and kiss-assery is all I can offer, unfortunately.

sinnergy

People that are saying that it looks like gears 1.5 are on crack. It goes up for the first 30 minutes maybe, but after that it's just insane looking. Act 2 is unbelievable, the textures resolution is through the roof sometimes imo, some of the best textures seen this generation.

It all runs so smooth, the new lighting is awesome, you see much more details on the characters, and I haven't seen any of those weird shadows Gears 1 had.

Can't wait to see the other acts.

Also the first and second act felt like whole gears 1 came by in just 2 levels.... it's that awesome.

Trying out Horde mode, will get dirty with the campaign mode tonight (once the sun goes down and the Kryll come out to play)

Horde mode is harder than I was expecting. I thought we'd have something along the lines of Wave 1 = Two Drones and Two Wretches, Wave 2 = 3 Drones and a Boomer, Wave 3 = 4 Drones, Wretches and Boomers etc.... instead it really throws you straight into the thick of it. I crapped myself when in Wave 2 I turned around and saw a Butcher about 6 feet away from me about to swing his giant cleaver at me.

Definitely one to play with other people.

I've had my LE copy for a few hours, made it underground with Dom. Got caught up in checking out the beautiful artwork. Put into that section. Checked out the new executions. Man I wish my cousin wouldn't have got himself incarcerated, he would be playing co-op with me right now. This game is going to be in my 360 for a long time.

Woz

OG_Original Gamer said:
I've had my LE copy for a few hours, made it underground with Dom. Got caught up in checking out the beautiful artwork. Put into that section. Checked out the new executions. Man I wish my cousin wouldn't have got himself incarcerated, he would be playing co-op with me right now. This game is going to be in my 360 for a long time.

Yeah... wat?!

toff74

So glad i booked the day off :D

Horde is amazing!!

The first act just blew me away and i know it will just get better..

Goddam though, the missus is coming over later with some of her friends.. got to sober up and try to make the place look respectible, not the dusty, wire infested, disc ridden, washing up piled high, GOW2 love in the house is now!!!

I WANT TO PLAY GEARS?! Decisions, decisions!! :D

Toff74

toff74 said:

Horde is amazing!!

Goddam though, the missus is coming over later with some of her friends.. got to sober up and try to make the place look respectible, not the dusty, wire infested, disc ridden, washing up piled high, GOW2 love in the house is now!!!

Toff74

Don't answer the door or the phone. Problem solved ;)

Enjoy Gears. I hope my friend comes through and I get it later on.

p3tran

Banned
toff74 said:

Horde is amazing!!

Toff74

you should act like a grown-up man and cancel the meeting! :D

kbear

Hawk269 said:
After playing Gears 2 and getting to the final chapter of Act 2 ( I know I am not far), I decided to play some Gears 1 and let me tell you there is a world of difference visually between the two games. The intro part to Gears 2 was a little too much like Gears 1, but once you go outside and you get into Act 2, holy shit the visuals just blow you away.

But playing a bit of Gears 1 you really appreciate how far Cliff and the kids were able to really push the envelope with this game.
But...but... guys, the pro-Sony posters at GAF and other forums tell me it looks just like Gears 1? Who should I believe?

Top Bottom