• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

There are some BEAUTIFUL, HIGH-res textures in this game. Very impressive. It looks beautiful ~ I HAD to cut myself off early so I could get up at 8am today to play until work. I was compelled to stay up but with a fresh head the game is just so much better.

Like I've said I haven't played Gears in over a year so I've got some catching up to do, and the new tweaks are very nice - can't wait to get used to the gameplay again.

tiong_fi

Costanza said:
Let's get a list going

People who want hammerburst codes:

spermatic cord
Metalic Sand
Voltron64
Nozdeuce
jdub03
polyh3dron
kiUNiT
ergo
Shadowlink123
Linkhero1
p3tran
MThanded
Xamdou
Captain Jebus
Firehead
Shadow780
seat
Stantron
t4ng0
Matrix
tiong_fi

instead of flooding the thread with the list, just send me a PM and I'll add you to the original one.

Added myself.

[Nintex]

Wow this game is amazing

Carmine: "Do you think the locust eat Immulsion?"
Marcus: "They can eat shit and die for all I care"
:lol

deftangel

took a programming course
Ok, this
reaver smashing into the side of your ride in Act 1
is fucking ridiculous. No matter what I do, it won't die. Turret, take out the riders, whatever.

It must be possible to do it solo but how?!

cjelly said:
Took me about 3 minutes. :lol

20MB FTW!

I'm on 2mb, but it really should be going a lot quicker. Just up to 3% now....

I'm guessing that every 15yr old schoolboy ran home from school (afraid the Clifford was going to get him no doubt) and started downloading en masse.

Oh, 4% now!

Can someone post a pic of the Centaur Tank from bestbuy? I am trying to decide if i want to go pick up my LE from bestbuy. Seeing that i got the hammerburst code from gamestop for the regular edition, and I don't find the gold guns to be a looker.

deftangel said:
Ok, this
reaver smashing into the side of your ride in Act 1
is fucking ridiculous. No matter what I do, it won't die. Turret, take out the riders, whatever.

It must be possible to do it solo but how?!

Spam away with the turret, use RB to cool it down when it overheats.

sionyboy said:
I'm on 2mb, but it really should be going a lot quicker. Just up to 3% now....

I'm guessing that every 15yr old schoolboy ran home from school (afraid the Clifford was going to get him no doubt) and started downloading en masse.

Oh, 4% now!
:lol He really shouldn't have said that. Things like this can stick if drawn out long enough.

Hammer24

Banned
Always-honest said:
aren't there stores where you live?

a) the stores close the same time I close my office
b) I´m in Germany, where the game is not offically sold - so I need the AT uncut import version from my online retailer... :-/

Dark Octave said:
:lol He really shouldn't have said that. Things like this can stick if drawn out long enough.

I thought it was pretty funny myself, but the over-reaction in the other thread.... now THAT was funny. :D

alterno69

Banned
I've seen some of it but not as bad as Gears 1 at all. Saw some screen tearing on the huge vehicles levels while paning the camera on the turret. Also is it me or the framerate is not locked at 30 fps, it looks like it goes below 30 pretty often but nothing terrible.

Facism

one thing i'm noticing is oocasional geometry pop-in/pop-out.

It's nothing major, considering the scope and beauty of some of these levels.

One thing i did find extremely jarring, however, is there's still that instance of polygon/texture stretching when characters raise their arms. The speech in the first chapter, for instance. The guy looks like he's got webbed armpits :lol

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Can take me off the gold hammerburst list. My EB didn't do a midnight launch and gave them away this morning, wasn't able to get any extras though.

Spasm

Woo! Limited Edition and (the last) 1600 points card for $59 out the door. Thanks, CC, for your continuous run of launch promotions! Although, this one broke the gift card combo I had going.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Something weird happened at the cutscene prior to Act 2 - wondering if anyone else experienced this: The game froze for a minute, audio looping, but after about 30 seconds it cut back in and resumed as normal. Weird, I hope this game doesn't blow my X360 up, it;s already as loud as a fucking helicopter, and the disc drive sounds like a leaf blower -- Wasn't there supposed to be a patch available at launch or was I misinformed?

This happened to me too. During that whole speech it repeated a sentence for about 15 seconds and then fixed itself. I think it's GoW2 and not my Xbox because this hasn't happened with any other game. I don't mind that, I just mind multiplayer matchmaking being all slow.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Sleeping was the hardest fucking thing to do this past night. :lol

Two more hours and I'm off to get my LE. H8 you all who are enjoying it already. :(

I haven't opened the box yet but it's bigger than I expected. Crappy pic but you can get some idea of the scale.

gears2.jpg

Updated Hammerburst Hopefuls

spermatic cord
Metalic Sand
Voltron64
Nozdeuce
jdub03
polyh3dron
kiUNiT
ergo
Shadowlink123
Linkhero1
p3tran
Acidote
MThanded
Xamdou
Captain Jebus
Firehead
Shadow780
seat
Stantron
t4ng0
Matrix
tiong_fi
The Nature Roy

I added Acidote back in and included myself at the end.

Facism

Question:

Does weapon placement in maps randomise each round?

Was playing on Gridlock, ran for the nades in the middle of the map, found a shield -_- Was a torque bow instead of Sniper rifle one round, too.

Teknoman

lol I just jumped into a game with Costanza and I suck. Really gotta readjust to the speed and everything. Havent started SP yet though.

Teknoman

MP is abit more fun AND a little more tactical now. No more shotgun dance party 2k7.

Of course the guys on our team are talking about divorce now >_>

EDIT: Semi-racist too apparently.

duckroll

Beat Act 2. Pretty good shit so far. There way more variety than GoW1 and the scenario on a whole makes for a much better action movie. It feels a lot easier though, I'm not sure if it's because I'm better at Gears now or if it's just harder to get an actual death in the game. Probably a mix of both. Being able to crawl around when downed and having a bunch of squadmates around makes it pretty hard to actually die in the game unless you get a direct headshot or execution kill from the enemies. The weapons feel more effective against the Locust too. Really love the level design, some really cool shit in each area, and I'm REALLY digging the Collectables. It's a great motivator for me to replay the game since I'm a sucker for background info pick ups in games.

Costanza said:

Gold Lancer codes aren't working? What about Hammerbursts? I just picked up my LE, and if anyone couldn't be compelled to go at midnight I suggest going soon because there were still a lot of Gold Hammerburst codes when I went.

FrankT

Wollan said:
Aren't there just 5? I found two so far.

5? Pretty sure it's considerably more than that or maybe I'm thinking of something else. I found two notes early on last night perhaps that is something different.

NVM, 41 apparently.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Jedeye Sniv said:
Just played some MP and yes, I still suck at it. Hmph. I think the new Training Ground botmatch stuff is fantastic though, lets me enjoy a gears-multi type exerience without the sitting about and doing nothing that signified my previous gears games.

I totally agree. Also the fact that the gameplay there counts towards achievements is a good thing. I think I will be putting hours and hours of practice in this mode.

Phaethon0017 said:
Gold Lancer codes aren't working? What about Hammerbursts? I just picked up my LE, and if anyone couldn't be compelled to go at midnight I suggest going soon because there were still a lot of Gold Hammerburst codes when I went.

both my hammerburst and lancer codes work.

I can't believe none of you are answering the questions about what they did regarding host advantage or lag. It was the worst problem of them all in the first game. Hardly any reviews touch on this, and now this thread won't talk about it even after a few others brought it up too. How is it?

Top Bottom