• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Fuck my complaints,

+Graphics are the best on the 360. It would benefit from some AA though.
+Level design is top notch.
+Amazing variety. Fucking impressed.
+Voice acting kicks ass.
+The world conspires against
Carmine
:lol
+Tighter controls
+Weapons feel much better
+New MP maps are good.
+Lag has been greatly reduced thank God, last 3 Execution and Warzone games I have ended up first place. Last game was a bit on the laggy size but it did the job,
+Very reduced texture pop in inside the SP.

LOL@ Shotgun whores in the game. They are failing so hard it just kills me to see them try play this game as GOW1. Hell my sister was depressed because the shotgun sucks. I am damn happy

-Matchmaking takes MINUTES. I swear I was waiting for a game to start for over 6 mins. Live server overloaded?
-Texture pop-in is bad in MP.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I can't believe none of you are answering the questions about what they did regarding host advantage or lag. It was the worst problem of them all in the first game. Hardly any reviews touch on this, and now this thread won't talk about it even after a few others brought it up too. How is it?

Much, MUCH better. As always Host does have the advantage (happens on any P2P game) but it isn't the same as Gears 1. Here you feel like you are hitting something

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Wollan said:
Aren't there just 5? I found two so far.

There are way more than five, you get an achievement for finding five of them and you get two or three more achievements for collecting more of them (I think there is somewhere around forty or so to collect).

Zophar

Liking it so far but it really feels a lot shorter than the first game. I blew through the first chapter in only an hour. Are the later chapters any longer?

Relix said:

-Matchmaking takes MINUTES. I swear I was waiting for a game to start for over 6 mins. Live server overloaded?

-Texture pop-in is bad in MP.

Much, MUCH better. As always Host does have the advantage (happens on any P2P game) but it isn't the same as Gears 1. Here you feel like you are hitting something

How is online co-op? As steady as it was in the first? Either way, it doesn't bode well for me as most recently Live has been slow as shit for me.

izakq

The Nature Roy said:
Updated Hammerburst Hopefuls

spermatic cord
Metalic Sand
Voltron64
Nozdeuce
jdub03
polyh3dron
kiUNiT
ergo
Shadowlink123
Linkhero1
p3tran
Acidote
MThanded
Xamdou
Captain Jebus
Firehead
Shadow780
seat
Stantron
t4ng0
Matrix
tiong_fi
The Nature Roy
izakq

Added myself.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Phaethon0017 said:
How is online co-op? As steady as it was in the first? Either way, it doesn't bode well for me as most recently Live has been slow as shit for me.

Well I haven't gone into Public Co-op so I can't say. I did Co-op along a friend and it was smooth sailing.

prophecy0

I just picked my LE copy up at Best Buy. They did not have the game or the tank waiting for me up front - I had to go get both of them myself. Then the lady at the register didn't know how to pull up my preorder.

To top it all off, I got home and realized they didn't give me the Gold Lancer code. I don't want to be a huge nerd and go back to the store to ask for it. What should I do? Contact Epic?

Dirtbag

Big spoiler if you haven't gotten through Act 2 yet.

You Killed Carmine, you Bastards!
Can anyone else see this becoming a running joke from Gears to Gears.

Basically,
killing off 'Carmine'
in every game.

prophecy0 said:
I just picked my LE copy up at Best Buy. They did not have the game or the tank waiting for me up front - I had to go get both of them myself. Then the lady at the register didn't know how to pull up my preorder.

To top it all off, I got home and realized they didn't give me the Gold Lancer code. I don't want to be a huge nerd and go back to the store to ask for it. What should I do? Contact Epic?

the gold lancer is in the LE. it's the 1 of the 3 codes on the same hard paper. it's the hammerburst that has the seperate code from the game.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I didn't read your spoiler tags dirtbag (1 more hour of waiting for me :( ), but I can already tell what it is and I lawl at the fact that they're doing that. :lol

I've played acouple of hours guys. Tell me it gets better. I thought the
turret section early on was lame gaming. The part where the locust grapple onto the vehicle was a huge letdown. I jumped out of the turret maybe once to kill one locust.
So far Hardcore is way too easy.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Dirtbag said:
Big spoiler if you haven't gotten through Act 2 yet.

You Killed Carmine, you Bastards!
Can anyone else see this becoming a running joke from Gears to Gears.

Basically,
killing off 'Carmine'
in every game.

Exactly :lol The world conspires against him. And I was starting to like him so much =P. By the way, that level might just be the goriest thing ever. Even I, of a fucking cold heart and cold stomach, kinda got weak when i saw all that blood =P

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
oh fuck at the impressions and hearing people playing together. Sorely tempted to go buy a copy despite my pre-order being in the post from Amazon already, not sure I can wait until next week for it!

I better get in on some of this action, particularly if there's any European gaffers in here - add me! Playing with americans and aussies in GoW was awesome but laggy and required staying up to 3am everyday, something I can't do now I'm employed!

gamertag = kaizoku7

Double D

I really haven't been paying much attention to this game, but I'm picking it up today despite still being balls deep in Fallout 3.

Anyways, is there any reason I need to get the LE over the regular edition? I don't care about fancy boxes and making of discs, but I do care if there are some exclusive game-changing codes in there. Thanks for any help you can give.

Anyone have problems with the Flashback Map code? Live says "This code cannot be used for this offer. Please enter a valid code."

EDIT: I tried doing it outside of Gears2 and it worked.

bill0527

I just got back from my local Circuit City. Got there 5 minutes after they opened. They only had 2 1600 point cards left. I've been shopping there for 3 years and its the first time I've ever had to stand in line at that store. 5 people ahead of me had a copy of the game and a 1600 point card.

If anybody's wanting the deal with the 1600pts, you might want to call first to make sure they've still got them before you make a special trip.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
kaizoku said:
oh fuck at the impressions and hearing people playing together. Sorely tempted to go buy a copy despite my pre-order being in the post from Amazon already, not sure I can wait until next week for it!

I better get in on some of this action, particularly if there's any European gaffers in here - add me! Playing with americans and aussies in GoW was awesome but laggy and required staying up to 3am everyday, something I can't do now I'm employed!

gamertag = kaizoku7

Amazon is shipping them next week? :lol

Fuck that, get your ass to a nearby retailer asap.

bill0527

Gleeky said:
People who picked it up from CC...did you need to have a pre order? Or is it walk in and pick up?

Walked in and picked it up. They had a special table set up at the front of my store that you can't miss when you walk in. They had plenty of copies of the regular and LE, but were quickly running out of 1600pt cards.

Holy shit, this game looks amazing. It's really amazing how far they went with Unreal Engine 3. Even the pop-in looks good. It just melds to the model and shit. Wow. :lol Hopefully Mass Effect 2 ends up looking as good as this, and hopefully it's technically just as sound as GOW2.

Anyway, I'm digging this quite a bit. This is definitely a good thing, seeing as how I was pretty let down by Gears of War 1.

Gleeky

bill0527 said:
Walked in and picked it up. They had a special table set up at the front of my store that you can't miss when you walk in. They had plenty of copies of the regular and LE, but were quickly running out of 1600pt cards.

Thank you!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Domino Theory said:
Amazon is shipping them next week? :lol

Fuck that, get your ass to a nearby retailer asap.

dispatched yesterday, no way in hell Amazon will have it arrive today so I'm gussing earliest I can hope for is Monday :(

Seriously considering foregoing sleep this weekend just so I can play gears.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE COLOUR?!

3010067177_14a949a607.jpg

Aladuf

Banned
Wollan said:
Ah k. Saw the counter have 5 as max. I guess that's just an initial achievement.
Yep that's exactly it, there's an achievement for getting 5 collectibles at first.

As for lag in multiplayer for some who were asking, last night I played for about an hour with a full 10 person match at times, I experienced no lag at all. And this morning I played a match with at least 3 people from Greece (and I'm in Virginia) and there was only light bullet lag for me, so it's significantly improved.

Teknoman said:
Awesome, Costanza, Liquidlynch,Spruchy and I are kicking all kinds of ass in Stasis.

fuck yeah we did. that was an awesome game, and again, thanks for letting me play with you guys :) looking forward to playing more later.

Teknoman

I wish you could melee duel against the saw with other weapons though. Say Hammerburst or even Shotgun? Maybe try to force the saw back, then smack the other guy really hard with the butt of the rifle if you win the duel.

Only bad thing about choosing Hammer as your starting weapon is that you're defenseless against the lancer's saw.

I went to pick up my game this morning at Gamestop and they also gave me a midnight code for the Gold Hammerburst. Nice.

Is the matchmaking supposed to be this slow? I've been searching for a Horde game for about 5 minutes now.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
kaizoku said:
can you turn the gold lancer on or off? its not very friendly for hiding is it?
I dunno, I don't have the Gold weapons. I took that screenshot in a game of Horde with Gowans and co.

Oh, yeah, the Canals remake is shit. It looks fucking worse than the original! :lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Holy crap that gold lancer is fugly.

What happened to the cool looking lancer with gold highlights?

Riptwo

Due to my purchasing a defective copy of the game last night and exchanging it this morning, I now have a second gold lancer code that I'd be down with trading for a gold hammerburst if anyone's interested. Send me a PM if you want to trade.

Edit: Offer's tentatively taken.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I'm disappointed that there aren't any
Berzerkers or kryll
in the storyline. I can understand why, but still... would've love to see them incorporated in a section or two for old times sakes.

sajj316

Gary Whitta said:
Is this gettable as a walk-in today? Or are you SOL if you didn't pre-order?

I walked in to Best Buy and walked out with a Limited Edition. Then again .. the Best Buy I went to is in mid-town Manhattan, NY so they got plenty of copies

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I swear, the further I go, the more I'm amazed with the graphics, the pacing, the level design, and creativity...

Friggin' hell.

Gary Whitta said:
Is this gettable as a walk-in today? Or are you SOL if you didn't pre-order?
Just checking quickly online, it looks like most of the San Francisco Best Buy's should have it in stock. I'd call first to confirm, but I'm guessing they have plenty of copies.

X26

Banned
I've played 2-2.5hrs and loving it sofar, although the campaign is starting out really slow (I'm up to the rooftops/hotel part). I played one game of warzone, one execution, and the majority of my time was speant on horde, which is awesome. Best I've done on a team sofar is wave 18 on avalanche.

My only real complaint sofar, is that there are way too many power weapons on some maps. Great for horde, terrible for everything else. On day one for example, there' practically a power weapon for everybody.

Dirtbag

Caspel said:
I'm disappointed that there aren't any
Berzerkers or kryll
in the storyline. I can understand why, but still... would've love to see them incorporated in a section or two for old times sakes.

I to would have liked a
Berzerker section somewhere in there
, and I think it would have been neat if the
Kryll were shown hibernating for the winter underground somewhere, though by no means do I miss the kryll gameplay.

I don't understand why it couldnt be incorporated. Could you elaborate?

X26

Banned
Oh and one other thing, the gold guns...I hope people get over the novelty fast, the ugliness is overwhelming :lol

Darkman M

kaizoku said:
dispatched yesterday, no way in hell Amazon will have it arrive today so I'm gussing earliest I can hope for is Monday :(

Seriously considering foregoing sleep this weekend just so I can play gears.

Mine shipped from Amazon yesterday and is out for delivery as we speak.

Shoogoo

Any of you experienced a change of sensitivity?

Mine (Look sensitivity) is set to high and rest is set to low. Sometimes the Look one will swap to low and I can't change it. Eventually it gets back to high but that's kind of annoying.

Top Bottom