• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

I'm tempted but I still don't know if I even need this. Currently halfway through Fable 2, haven't even touched Fallout 3 and Littlebigplanet yet... plus Mirror's Edge comes out on Tuesday... this feels like something that could keep getting bumped down the playing pile, but then again there aren't any other decent shooters this holiday season other than L4D... hmmm...

Help me GAF, you're my only hope!

Recoil

The Nature Roy said:
I haven't opened the box yet but it's bigger than I expected. Crappy pic but you can get some idea of the scale.

gears2.jpg

Wait, was that a preorder bonus, or what?

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Dirtbag said:
I to would have liked a
Berzerker section somewhere in there
, and I think it would have been neat if the
Kryll were shown hibernating for the winter underground somewhere, though by no means do I miss the kryll gameplay.

I don't understand why it couldnt be incorporated. Could you elaborate?

Apparently, in the Gears of War 2 novel, the majority of the Kryll population were killed by the lightmass bomb. For the berzerker, some theorize that since they are females, that they could be in protection due to the lightmass bomb for reproduction;that's if the locusts do in fact reproduce.

Cliff said he wanted to make Gears 2 feel different then Gears 1 so those enemy types weren't included along with
lament wretchers

Though, you can still see
berzerkers in horde mode

Sectus

Got to wave 23 in horde mode with a good team... connection to host lost, BLEH!

I wish it was possible to control who's the host. My connection is good, just let me host all the time!

Sectus

Caspel said:
Though, you can still see
berzerkers in horde mode
You do? I thought the enemy layout repeated after wave 10. Although it would be good news if there is more variety besides seeing the same enemy spawns with different stats.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Caspel said:
Cliff said he wanted to make Gears 2 feel different then Gears 1 so those enemy types weren't included along with
lambent wretches

Great, those pieces of shit were one of the most cheap-ass enemies I've faced playing videogames, I hated those fucking things.

Mohonky said:
The multiplayer options for this game are fucked from what I've seen. No option to search locally, no ping indicator, no option to even opt for what room you join.

I'm sure I'll be getting plenty of random matches with 2 second shot delays. Should be fun.

yea this is my biggest dissapointment. Is there a way to search just for warzone matches?

Chiggs

Gold Member
I'm starting the co-op campaign tonight with a friend. What are your recommendations as far as difficulty goes? I want a good challenge.

Darkman M

Chiggs said:
I'm starting the co-op campaign tonight with a friend. What are your recommendations as far as difficulty goes? I want a good challenge.

I wouldn't want to play coop on anything less then insane, but i don't think insane is unlocked until you have completed the game once.

Sectus

Gig said:
Great, those pieces of shit were one of the most cheap-ass enemies I've faced playing videogames, I hated those fucking things.
They've been obviously replaced with tickers though, which are almost identical.

Chiggs said:
I'd say hardcore or insane if you can.

garath

Chiggs said:

Hardcore since you can't do insane first playthrough. Even on hardcore I was finding it pretty easy :(

I gotta hand it to my wife...she got to Blockbuster before they opened this morning to rent me one of two copies they had. Home improvement costs are keeping us from buying this at the moment.

Can't wait to play.

Gowans

Gary Whitta said:
I'm tempted but I still don't know if I even need this. Currently halfway through Fable 2, haven't even touched Fallout 3 and Littlebigplanet yet... plus Mirror's Edge comes out on Tuesday... this feels like something that could keep getting bumped down the playing pile, but then again there aren't any other decent shooters this holiday season other than L4D... hmmm...

Help me GAF, you're my only hope!

I'm the same made this thread eariler
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341040

Finished Fable before anything else but I have done a little of LBP & Fallout 3 but Gears is something else, Horde mode online with friends has been incredible so far.

mittelos

Teknoman said:
I need to get better with the Hammerburst.

Shotgun run and roll is dead, but it still comes in handy.
Damn I'm rusty. We need to play some horde. Is there a button to voicechat- I couldn't hear you or costanza. May need to check my voice settngs in the guide, seems like I may have muted everyone last time I played Halo 3.

Gleeky

Just got back from CC. Picked up 2 copies, one for bro, one for me. Also took the last 2 1600 point cards they had! :)

Costanza

Banned
mittelos said:
Damn I'm rusty. We need to play some horde. Is there a button to voicechat- I couldn't hear you or costanza. May need to check my voice settngs in the guide, seems like I may have muted everyone last time I played Halo 3.
I wasn't really talking much and neither was Tek after Spruchy left.
Teknoman said:
Just ran into a game with a TON of lag, yet the other team seems fine and is picking us off.
Yeah I ended up just quitting that one. Lame.

Great games guys.

Stantron

For those who have played already would you say that the Shotgun in MP is now properly balanced, slightly gimped or basically useless? Also, is it underpowered for SP and Horde modes as well?

Costanza

Banned
Stantron said:
For those who have played already would you say that the Shotgun in MP is now properly balanced, slightly gimped or basically useless?
Seemed basically useless to me. Most matches are just lancer/hammerburst battles now.

Sailor

Sailor said:
A couple of questions please:

1) Is there any [effective] way to shoot a shotgun/Lancer without aiming? Seriously, I can't get 1 kill with a shotgun if I don't aim with the left trigger..it's VERY inaccurate.

2) What sensitivity do you guys put yours on? I play on normal/medium atm and thinking of changing it. The reticule while aiming moves pretty sluggish.

3) Ithere's no like OFFICIAL way to change the number of times you can respawn in DEATHMATCH gametypes like Execution/Warzone? Or at least the number of deaths per round?

I was doing 1 on 1 with a friend and it was kinda annoying it ending after every kill.

Was is always like this? Or did they change it? I'm pretty surprised there's no option to change it....I thought all multiplayer games had respawning.

Anyone? The 3rd question got answered, just need insights on the first 2.

Hawk269

Best Buy screwed over the entire crowd waiting for the Tank you get for reserving the L.E. edition of the game. A few folks drove a while since it is a small town and the closest other Best Buy is about 45 min. away. The gave everyone a rain check for the Tank, but still pretty shitty being they advertised this free tank with the reserve of the L.E. for a very long time.

Seth C

I hadn't seen a really good picture of the tank that you can get at Best Buy, so here it is:

gowtank01.jpg

It is nice enough, but it has issues. The front tires are too big and/or the mechanism that turns them goes too far, because anytime you turn the inner tire will push against the body of the tank and lock it up. You can basically only turn when going at speed, and even then it will quickly stop the tank (and I was trying on hardwood, don't even bother with carpet).

Also, the Gold Lancer. How do I get it? The LE packaging says a code is included, but I only have a card for the 5 extra maps inside the case. Was it supposed to be handed out with the game, or inside the packaging?

I am very wowed by this game right now. To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of the first Gears but this one sure has sucked me in. Horde is one of the best game modes I've ever played.

Costanza

Banned
Seth C said:
Also, the Gold Lancer. How do I get it? The LE packaging says a code is included, but I only have a card for the 5 extra maps inside the case. Was it supposed to be handed out with the game, or inside the packaging?
There's 3 codes on the card for the 5 free maps.

Hawk269

garath said:
Hardcore since you can't do insane first playthrough. Even on hardcore I was finding it pretty easy :(

I agree, hardcore seems more like a gap point between normal and hardcore of the original game. I found Gears 1 much more challenging on hardcore than I do Gear2.

jdub03

Can anyone confirm whether or not you can split screen in public matches. Its pretty lame they took out player matches. Everything is ranked now right(except for private friend matches)?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Can somebody post pics of the LE contents? Does the package have a normal 360 case inside like the Resistance or Fallout CE?

Just grabbed it on my lunch break at the local Best Buy.

Interesting bit of note, they had a HUGE stack of the RC Tanks, but were selling them for $29.99.

I inquired to see if I'd still get the tank for free with purchase of the LE, but nope, I would've had to drop the $30 in addition to the $70 for the game.

Suffice to say, snagged a copy of the standard version and rolled.

Hawk269

Seth C said:
I hadn't seen a really good picture of the tank that you can get at Best Buy, so here it is:

gowtank01.jpg

It is nice enough, but it has issues. The front tires are too big and/or the mechanism that turns them goes too far, because anytime you turn the inner tire will push against the body of the tank and lock it up. You can basically only turn when going at speed, and even then it will quickly stop the tank (and I was trying on hardwood, don't even bother with carpet).

The code is on the same card as the maps. there are three codes under the thing you pull off.

1. 48 hours code
2. Flashback Maps
3. Gold Lancer***

***I got mine last night and the lancer code works, but it wont download. For some reason I found that the issue is on the west coast as all of my east codes buddies were able to download the lancer, but no one I know on the west has been able to get it. I was able to get the maps and the other gun (code from the midnight launch), but not the lancer.

Hawk269

OGB said:
Just grabbed it on my lunch break at the local Best Buy.

Interesting bit of note, they had a HUGE stack of the RC Tanks, but were selling them for $29.99.

I inquired to see if I'd still get the tank for free with purchase of the LE, but nope, I would've had to drop the $30 in addition to the $70 for the game.

Suffice to say, snagged a copy of the standard version and rolled.

At least your BB had the tanks..mine did not get them and alot of people were pissed since it is a small town and people drove a while to get to the store. We all got rainchecks....btw..it is only free for those that reserved the game.

Hawk269

DoctorWho said:
WTF, Dom glitched out on me. He's just sliding along the ground instead of walking.

Yeah, during Act 2, Chapter 3 Dom just stood there in the midde of a fire fight, he just stood there. Once I cleared the enemies he still stood there. So I stuck a grenade on him and blew him into chunks...about 5 min into the game, during another cinematic, Dom came back to life and was part of the squad again.

Teknoman

Are the Premium themes the new experience ones? If so, I ended up getting one for free. Maybe because I entered a gold hammerburst code?

Also I was running around in SP for abit and ran into a possible glitch. Dom and Tai wont move out of my way after the
Hospital raid with the explosive tanks
Doors closed behind me and normal cog soldiers are behind me, no way out.

Hawk269

Teknoman said:
Are the Premium themes the new experience ones? If so, I ended up getting one for free. Maybe because I entered a gold hammerburst code?

Also I was running around in SP for abit and ran into a possible glitch. Dom and Tai wont move out of my way after the
Hospital raid with the explosive tanks
Doors closed behind me and normal cog soldiers are behind me, no way out.

The Theme is optimized for the NXE, but still will work with the old dashboard. It is a pretty nice theme however.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I redeemed my Golden Lancer code, it stayed at 1%, then gave me an Xbox Live error message with the "any points taken out of this transaction won't be taken out again" and now when I try to re-enter the code it says it's not valid. :(

I hope people don't forget to watch the intro video. Leave the main menu run for a while and it will start. Much like the first Gears of War, its an easy video to miss out on.

Synless

sionyboy said:
I hope people don't forget to watch the intro video. Leave the main menu run for a while and it will start. Much like the first Gears of War, its an easy video to miss out on.
When you start a new game it plays the same video, no need to wait for it.

Synless said:
When you start a new game it plays the same video, no need to wait for it.

Ahhh, I haven't started the campaign yet, I thought Epic might have hidden away the video once again.
I didn't find out about the intro video in Gears 1 until many months after I had bought it, I was surprised it was hidden away as it told so much of the background story to the game.

Sailor

I'm not begging for one but,

Does anyone have a spare Lancer code? Or doesn't want theirs? I'd really appreciate it if you could throw it my way

I tried to get one myself, but my BlockBuster ran out of LE copies to sell :(

Top Bottom