• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

I've noticed the huge population drops too, though campaign doesn't seem to have suffered as much. That's fine. Beast has been hit hard. I knew I needed to focus on that more, but I didn't realize just how much I should have. In six months Beast will be populated by less than 500 worldwide unless something is done in one of the future DLC packs to alleviate it. Finding a match with such low numbers will be slow.

Kunohara

Seth Balmore said:
Same with Beast. Four Kantus in a team of five, really?

Yeah, this thread's activity really went downhill fast. I hope it gets livelier once everyone has the first batch of new maps.

Fuck is that ever annoying. When everyone has access to the Kantus and then everyone fucking chooses it. They only choose it because of the medal. If that medal didn't exist, I can bet you no one would bother.

It already takes a awhile to find a match for Beast, which sucks because I still have not gotten my 200 kills with the wretch for the mutator.

I reached 50 a couple of days ago, so I'm probably not gonna touch Gears until I'm done Batman/Ass Creed/Skyrim. So basically next year.

LosDaddie

Banned
Gears-GAF: Anybody want to joing me this week for an Insane w/mutators campaign run? I'm talking about for about an hour, maybe 2hrs, each night starting around 9pm EST.

I have the Super Reload and Instagib Melee mutators. And I want to get all the collectibles, too.

Let me know.

GT: LosDaddie

Just finished 1-50 Public Horde with an awesome bunch of randoms, we stuck together until the very end and beat that bitch in 2h 35m.

LOVE rare Horde games like this one where random people will have the patience to stay for over two hours and see it through to the end. Makes me regain a little faith in the community, haha. :)

Ballistik

I'm disappointed, it's just ten days away from us getting Clocktower and Bullet Marsh, and we don't have any leaked screens or videos?

Wtf? Did EPIC actually manage to have this one under wraps?!

Ballistik said:
I'm disappointed, it's just ten days away from us getting Clocktower and Bullet Marsh, and we don't have any leaked screens or videos?

Wtf? Did EPIC actually manage to have this one under wraps?!
Well, those two maps aren't on the disc.

LosDaddie

Banned
LosDaddie said:
Gears-GAF: Anybody want to joing me this week for an Insane w/mutators campaign run? I'm talking about for about an hour, maybe 2hrs, each night starting around 9pm EST.

I have the Super Reload and Instagib Melee mutators. And I want to get all the collectibles, too.

Let me know.

GT: LosDaddie

Anybody? I'm getting ready to get on XBL now...

Maddog

LosDaddie said:
Anybody? I'm getting ready to get on XBL now...

I will. I might not be able to use voice chat a ton due to fear of waking others but if you're interested send me a friend request. GT: Mad Haxor

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Man, if epic had done something like COD elite (that worked) Gears would be even better.

The whole clan system and "contest" system in elite is going to be amazing once it works. If future games adopt this kind of thing, it's gonna be glorious.

Make it happen Cliffy, let us do challenges to win hoodies, let us have clan matches to unlock premium wallpapers and stuff. ;)

Oh yeah, and theater mode. Still can't believe you didn't put that in.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Alienshogun said:
Oh yeah, and theater mode. Still can't believe you didn't put that in.

They've been saying for years that it isn't possible with the way UE3 works - I don't know why, but I'd guess it's a physics thing since things never blow up or break the same way twice.

mernst23

Seth Balmore said:
Just finished 1-50 Public Horde with an awesome bunch of randoms, we stuck together until the very end and beat that bitch in 2h 35m.

LOVE rare Horde games like this one where random people will have the patience to stay for over two hours and see it through to the end. Makes me regain a little faith in the community, haha. :)

Last night, I had kinda had this but in reverse. Everyone left by wave 15 and me and one person stayed and got all the way to wave 49 without failing on gridlock in public (camping in spawn with a silverback with rockets). He left after we failed the wave and I was like "really?"

I think I started that game around 8ish, lo and behold when I got up it was 11:15. So good.

LosDaddie

Banned
Maddog said:
I will. I might not be able to use voice chat a ton due to fear of waking others but if you're interested send me a friend request. GT: Mad Haxor

Good games last night! Same time tonight....~9pm EST?

Also, what collectible guide were you reading? I want to print it out for the rest of the campaign.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Skilotonn said:
They've been saying for years that it isn't possible with the way UE3 works - I don't know why, but I'd guess it's a physics thing since things never blow up or break the same way twice.

Sounds like a cop out to me. Halo has crazy shit going on and they have it.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Alienshogun said:

Yeah. Not a tech expert here by any stretch but Halo seems to have SO much more shit going on than Gears... vehicles, different nades, shields, abilities, jumping, teleports, more players, larger maps, etc. etc.

You'd think Gears would be 'easier' to capture in a theater mode.

RSTEIN said:
Yeah. Not a tech expert here by any stretch but Halo seems to have SO much more shit going on than Gears... vehicles, different nades, shields, abilities, jumping, teleports, more players, larger maps, etc. etc.

Exactly. All they need to do is capture user inputs and play them back in engine for theater mode.

Man, I can't wait until Raam drops and I can rock the eternally glorious combo of him (it) and Marcus.

Also, I'm at 60 and really want me some Carmine. Any tips for leveling?

mickcenary said:
Man, I can't wait until Raam drops and I can rock the eternally glorious combo of him (it) and Marcus.

Also, I'm at 60 and really want me some Carmine. Any tips for leveling?
Keep replaying Act 2-2 I believe. Supposedly it nets you a bunch of points.

TU2 should be droppping in 2 hours. Here's the release notes:

Improvements

• A spectator mode option has been added to private versus matches for broadcasting by gaming leagues.
  • One player on each team will be able to choose spectator mode during match set up.
  • The matches will be 4v4 with two spectators.***
  • The Leader and Vengeful medals are now easier to acquire.
  • The mutators Roadie Comet and Regen Enemies are now easier to acquire.
  • Added an option to disable the HUD during multiplayer games for machinima and video creators
  • Added a visual indicator of the next ring’s location during the last 10 ring points in KOTH.
*** Pete Knepley clears that up a bit: "Spectator notes are a little hazy, you're able to have up to 8 spectators in a match. Still have to start with at least 2 teams."

Exploit Fixes

• The Onyx Field Engineer medal can no longer be prestiged.
  • In Capture the Leader, the overhead Beams on DryDock are no longer accessible.
  • While affected by the Smoke Grenade stun, players will no longer be able to take hostages, pick up weapons or revive teammates.

General Fixes

• If there is a host migration during Horde, the match will resume at the same wave.
  • Also during Horde, the Combat Engineer ribbon can now be achieved once per wave instead of once per game.
  • The Ranked Disconnect stat will no longer increase when quitting a standard Horde or Beast game.
  • The cringe from the Mortar will no longer cause players to drop their primary weapon.
  • The Hail Mary ribbon is now correctly awarded for long distance Boomshot headshots.
  • Maps will no longer be immediately repeated when choosing random map selection.
  • If the host pauses during a private versus match the game will continue for other players. - The game will still pause in the Campaign, Beast and Horde.
  • Potential fix for the rare lost progress issue.
  • Potential fix for the rare profile freezing issue.
  • Beast leaderboard screen no longer refreshes while sending challenges

Okay good to see they're fixing things like Horde host migration and the map "rotation", but what the fuck is up with:
Added a visual indicator of the next ring’s location during the last 10 ring points in KOTH.
Epic why must you insist on casualizing every single aspect of your game little by little? Making it easier for people to camp the next ring and removing the element of surprise in KotH that favored so many great comebacks, who thought that would be a good idea? Seriously. :/

Also they're not removing the man up rule with this update, but they did say they can remove it whenever they want. They're just not that big on removing it.

Arjen

I've been pretty busy with skyrim, but i was curious to see what they would do with TU2 to make me come back when the maps hit.
Then i see this.

•Added a visual indicator of the next ring’s location during the last 10 ring points in KOTH.

Why would they do this? Learning and guessing where the next ring would be was one of the only tactical thing left from the already gimped KotH.

TRios Zen

Title Update 2, huh? Interesting.

Not sure there is much on there that I have had trouble with or care is changed. Regardless, the fact that Epic is so open about what their planned changes are AND the fact that they ARE actively supporting this title post-release makes me glad to be a Gears fan.

So many games out right now: good couple of months to be a gamer, but bad for time and wallet...

razu

I haven't bought any DLC, but just got TU2. I had two games of Warzone to try it out, one on Blood Drive and the other on Rust Lung. Is that correct...?

I thought they were for Horde only?

Anyway, new maps, yay!

Edit: Ah, just read. If the game is not on servers, and the host has the maps, then it may pick one of those maps.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Also during Horde, the Combat Engineer ribbon can now be achieved once per wave instead of once per game.

finally.

The Hail Mary ribbon is now correctly awarded for long distance Boomshot headshots.

glad I already have that. 200m boom headshots? that's near impossible.

mernst23

D4Danger said:
finally.

glad I already have that. 200m boom headshots? that's near impossible.

It didn't register the hail mary if you got a headshot. I've been doing these while going for force multiplier and that's happened a couple times to me. (At 87/100)

I'm just glad i never got too deep into leader or vengeful boosting considering they just cut down both onyx's into a fifth of what they were. I've been mostly playing beast and horde since the game came out. Sucks you can't prestige the onyx fortifications anymore, i definitely see how some people abused it. After 1000 waves of horde i barely cracked lvl 2 prestige.

Hardest onyx in terms of time having to boost has to be sapper or spotter now. Explode 1000 grenades? pfft.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
mernst23 said:
It didn't register the hail mary if you got a headshot. I've been doing these while going for force multiplier and that's happened a couple times to me. (At 87/100)

oh, I see. So it still counts if you blow people up.

I thought they'd change it to headshots only lol

mernst23 said:
Hardest onyx in terms of time having to boost has to be sapper or spotter now. Explode 1000 grenades? pfft.

I have 52 so yeah, that's never happening

MjFrancis

Yeah, I'll be back on tonight for a little Gears 3 campaign with LosDaddie.

I want to thank Epic for making a game that that I haven't removed from my 360's disc drive from launch until November 15th. Apparently I've only spent 70 hours on Gears 3 according to XBL Rewards stats, but I haven't played another 360 game in that time save for short bouts of Ikaruga. I'll still be playing Gears 3, but it will share the disc drive with Assassin's Creed Revelations now.

It rare for me to give a title such a monopoly on my gaming time. So again, to all Epic employees still reading (anyone out there?) - thanks!

MjFrancis

When did they post these changes? They went from insane to semi-easily boostable, right?

Even 300 for Untouchable would require hundreds of hours of playtime if you didn't want to boost it. Absolutely maddening amount of time to get that.

Seriously 3.0 indeed.

mernst23

MjFrancis said:
When did they post these changes? They went from insane to semi-easily boostable, right?

Even 300 for Untouchable would require hundreds of hours of playtime if you didn't want to boost it. Absolutely maddening amount of time to get that.

Seriously 3.0 indeed.

Boosting you can get 30-40 an hour
Non-boosting my best guess is like 1-2?

It's so ridiculous

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Leader & Vengeful dropped big time, nice.

Still have a whopping 1 Vengeful kill, but it's better than what it was before!

Good changes all around, I personally didn't have any to complain about either way so it's all good with me.

Alienshogun said:

RSTEIN said:

The way Halo and Gears handle their destructibility are different and Spartans surely don't get blown to pieces via a physics engine which is why I guessed that was the reason why. Again, not their official reason, and I'm not going to get into arguing about it - I've always wanted it myself for years for some the incredible kills I made and never got to see again.

alexel

Arjen said:
I've been pretty busy with skyrim, but i was curious to see what they would do with TU2 to make me come back when the maps hit.
Then i see this.

Why would they do this? Learning and guessing where the next ring would be was one of the only tactical thing left from the already gimped KotH.

My friends and I play KOTH almost exclusively and all of us have been eagerly anticipating this update to KOTH. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to be the better team and lose by 7 seconds because we guessed wrong on the last two rings and the other team happen to spawn on them. This change is an improvement to me since it takes away another element of randomness to KOTH and allows the better team to win more consistently.

Also, the good teams already do this to a certain extent because you can roughly tell where or at least which side of the map the next hill can spawn. It sucks when the hill makes a strange move like Ink/Flame grenade to sniper/digger on checkout and the opposing team gets a few seconds in because they spawn there and you guys had assumed back of checkout or the mulcher spawn.

MjFrancis

Also during Horde, the Combat Engineer ribbon can now be achieved once per wave instead of once per game.
My favorite change. With how often I played Horde, I would have been on track to get 100 of these sometime next November.

mernst23

MjFrancis said:
My favorite change. With how often I played Horde, I would have been on track to get 100 of these sometime next November.

So much this, I have almost 1000 waves of horde played and I have 35 of these. Hell I might be able to get this mutator tonight now.

Montresor

Damn now I feel like a fool, hahah. I used to run and fret and worry after every failed wave lest I would miss the opportunity to get the combat engineer ribbon (before you could only get it once per session unless you failed a wave). Not that I ever failed any wave on purpose to get myself that ribbon, but that damn ribbon took so long to get.

Also, I was so worried that they made the Big Explosions mutator almost impossible to get, when I read the change to the Hail Mary ribbon. =p

MjFrancis said:
It's pretty easy to cheese if you play offline and wipe your patch data. That allows you to get the ribbon multiple times per wave.
Set up a turret, shoot it a bit, press y, rinse, repeat.

LosDaddie

Banned
MjFrancis said:

I'll be looking to get a group of 5 GAFers to together for an Insane Horde run w/Mutators on this weekend.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Skyrim
Skyrim
Skyrim
Modern Warfare 3
Skyrim
Modern Warfare 3
Modern Warfare 3
Skyrim

all is lost

nobody to play with

*slits wrists*

The 10 new achievements from RAAM's Shadow (DLC 2) are out, too:

• Welcome to Zeta – Complete “RAAM’s Shadow” in Standard Campaign on any difficulty. (25 points)
  • Some Friendly Competition – Completed “RAAM’s Shadow” in Arcade on any difficulty. (25 points)
  • Help from my Friends – Completed “RAAM’s Shadow” in 4 player co-op in Arcade or Standard Mode. (25 points)
  • Finger of Doom – As RAAM, kill 50 gears using your Kryll. (15 points)
  • I’m Rubber, You’re Glue – As Mauler, kill 10 Gears by reflecting their bullets using your shield. (15 points)
  • Death from Above – Using the Hammer of Dawn Command Center, kill 50 Locust. (15 points)
  • Unarmed and Dangerous – Using the Loader, kill 10 Locust. (15 points)
  • Ghosts from the Past – Play 10 matches of Versus as a member of Zeta (Barrick, Tai, Minh, or Valera) (Standard or Casual). (15 points)
  • Foreshadowing – As RAAM, execute Minh 10 times in Versus MP (Standard or Casual). (25 points)
  • Zeta Team, Go! – Complete waves 1 – 10 of Horde with 5 players as Zeta (Barrick, Tai, Minh, Valera, and Jace). (75 points)

So we now have 100% confirmation of who comprises Zeta squad. I missed Tai's nonsensical multiplayer quotes, great to have his phat ass back. :D

I like the Foreshadowing one, lololol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom