• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

2San

New maps in. Clocktower is a pretty nice map. They did ruin Blood drive though. Dedicated servers are missing again. Played really well today though even with all the lag. Killed myself twice with the Boom though, since it was lagging. ;__;

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
wait so RAAMS shadow is actually the third dlc pack? That's kinda lame.

No.

It's the second.

New maps in. Clocktower is a pretty nice map. They did ruin Blood drive though. Dedicated servers are missing again. Played really well today though even with all the lag. Killed myself twice with the Boom though, since it was lagging. ;__;

Yeah, I noticed some heavy lag in the 1 game I played.

razu

I played Blood Drive earlier, and I saw Bullet Marsh, but it was the final round and I didn't get to play. Awesome system...

Why can't we start games to our specification, and be put into the matchmaking system...? Then, at the end of a match, pick the next fucking map...?

map q3dm17

ffs...

And...! If two people start a warzone gridlock, they get merged... what's the problem...!?

razu

Hey, I know I said I wanted 4 vs 4, but being in a team of 3 vs 5 doesn't really count...

Got to love Gears...

All this said, I had the best game of Warzone earlier. Started off a bit SOS-y, but we got into it and won.

Gears is amazing, when the fucker works...

zlatko

Banned
I'm still without gaming interwebs, so no Gears for me.

Been trying to catch up on this thread, and I'm not 100% onboard with the new Clocktower, but new marsh is god like.

Visually Ctower looks great, but the map design choices aren't the best. I agree with the busting down of the cover that had you hop to get the nades, so as to prevent camping there, but the removal of the sandbags or whatever towards the boom is unnecessary. The way it worked was you had the van conflict below start of a match, while a scuffle for the sniper goes on upstairs. Generally the upstairs fight took much longer, than the downstairs. With the sandbags on the side, you could hop over, and use that cover to change the pace of the downstairs fight, as well as buy time for your guys upstairs to get the sniper, that way if they DO beat out your team below to get the Boom, they then have to deal with coming back and hopping that wall without getting head rocked during the animation.

Now without active downs, and no sandbags, you can just make a quick bolt for boom, and use some wall sliding/rolling to get out of there. It should in theory make the boom easier to get, and make the sniper less of a threat than Gears 1. Which in turn might make the downstairs a quick blood bath.

We'll have to wait and see, but overall I feel those sandbags did a lot of good to the maps flow. Also, did they change how the boom spawned? I could have sworn it was in the back of the truck before, and now it's just out on the ground behind it.

Excited to hear what you guys think about them soon. :)

razu

Matchmaking has made this evening's play stupid.

I want to try out the new maps...

Not seen them in 2 hours. Whoever wrote that... you're shit.

Edit: hahahahaha, next game... Gridlock... play for 30 seconds, game hangs! Can't quit to OS, deaded. Yay...!

One more go... surely it will bless me with Clocktower...

Edit: Trenches, 4 humans, 6 ultra-retarded bots. Epic employees, may goats bear down on your anal openings as you sleep...

And that's another thing, if you're going to put bots in, at least employ competent AI programmers. I was dead, watching a bot. Mid shotgun battle it picked up a pistol... fuck off.

LosDaddie

Banned
Gears-GAF: Let's do some Horde Mode tonight. Insane difficulty with mutators. And I'm talking about doing Waves 1-50, however long it takes.

I'm thinking around 10pm EST I should be free. (Have to do some family stuff first) I have the Super Reload and Instagib Melee mutators.

Let me know if you want to join. I hope we can get a group of 5 GAFers together. I'll check back here about 20min before I get on XBL.

GT: LosDaddie

Anybody want to get a game going in about 2hrs? I'm about to watch a movie, then I'll be free.

Post here to let me know. Hopefully we can get a group of 5 together

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Funny, me and a friend joined a QM TDM on Dry Dock, won, then backed out so a third friend could join, and then we played all five new maps in a row before stopping to go offline after finishing up on Bullet Marsh - I guess Lady Luck shined on me tonight.

And boy were they all good in Versus.

And the post a few posts above me reminded me that there's still all the other modes plus Horde & Beast to experience them all on too - for some reason that never dawned on me till then.

2th

Banned
The cougars fire?

Erlj5.jpg

bad picture taken from my phone and you are looking directly at the sun. but you should be able to see it.

also i should go back and edit my post to say it is the SUN that gets the dom beard.

Played a few games yesterday. I've basically just been playing once a week because I have so many other games to play. It really feels like the game I want to be playing the most though. And are the new maps just randomly scattered in matchmaking? I didn't get any of them yesterday.

-PXG-

Erlj5.jpg

bad picture taken from my phone and you are looking directly at the sun. but you should be able to see it.

also i should go back and edit my post to say it is the SUN that gets the dom beard.

What the fuck am I even looking at...

Kydd BlaZe

Played a few games yesterday. I've basically just been playing once a week because I have so many other games to play. It really feels like the game I want to be playing the most though. And are the new maps just randomly scattered in matchmaking? I didn't get any of them yesterday.

They seem to pop up more frequently in the ranked playlists.

2th

Banned
General consensus on the new maps?

I have always loved Bullet Marsh from day 1. I dislike the Kryll particle effect/animation/whatever you want to call that thing. It has smoke now ans i dont like that look. Gameplay is very solid, it is a pain in the ass for beast though and horde to some extent. seems alright for KOTH and TDM, it is rather large for execution and warzone though.

Clocktower is clocktower, there is less cover on this version and it is harder to camp top if you are smart. and just an FYI, right above grenades is a hole that you can blind throw a grenade up through. you cant really aim it since it is at the very peak of looking up but a blind throw with frags can easily clear out the top if you place them wisely. plus no one expects them to come up from there.

Anilusion

What is this shit, I'm playing through the campaign and I'm at what I believe is the final part of act 5. During the cutscene where
marcus thrusts his knife into Myrra or whatever she's called
I get "Disc Unreadable". I tried doing it twice and I get the error at the exact same spot. The disc is perfectly clean and barely even used, I got the game a few weeks ago. The game is even installed to the harddrive and I did that without problems. Wtf?

Watched the ending on youtube and just skipped the cutscene, but fuck that is annoying.

Lkr

I got it last night at the wal mart chaos. Going to play after round 2 of Thanksgiving tonight, can't freaking wait, it was my most anticipated game of the year. Having to fight off crazy soccer moms that were trying to knock me over while I was grabbing it from the front of the crowd around the display(my wal mart had 6 of each game on sale...so smart. i went to target afterward for Epic Mickey, and Target seemed to be selling their whole inventory!) made it even more satisfying

General consensus on the new maps?

This is coming from someone who didn't experience GoW1's MP;

Clocktower is awesome-o. It looks great and it plays great. The combat is super intimate and flows very well. No faults.

Rustlung is probably the worst of the bunch for me. Having only played TDM thus far, I'm guessing that it's very much geared towards Horde, so my opinion is limited. There are no weapon pick-ups either, unless you count the Mulcher; and having a Silverback spawn seems a bit stupid.

Bulletmarsh is different, albeit very cool. It's one of those maps where both teams can spend a lot of time in their respective half of the map; it's a slower-paced battle, but with the potential to be very rewarding.

Blooddrive is great. It's just fucking intense. Constant 'nades and epic (PUN!) standoffs. Visually, it's very pleasing.

Azura obviously looks fantastic and before realising that there were actually 2 paths out of spawn, I thought it was horrible. Upon not being a spaz, however, I've come to think fondly of it. Waltzing into the opposition's spawn is common-place, but not in a cheap way; it feels like a circle of sorts, making it very unique.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So...I don't think the new maps are in rotation in Alpha. What the hell, Epic?

Speaking of new maps:

Clocktower: Fucking incredible; really shows you how good some of the Gears 1 maps were for the intensity of CQC in Gears. It looks beautiful too; just a great map.

Rustlung: This map is okay. Just, okay.

Blood Drive: True Story, and this shows just how much I didn't like/remember Gears 2: I didn't even realize that I've played this map before in a previous game. It took me about two or three rounds to remember that it was in Gears 2. Needless to say, it was one of the great maps obviously, and it's translated fantastically over to Gears 3, intense CQC action, with a good set of pickups

Azura: My god, this map is beautiful. I like the sniper action on it and think that it's a good addition

Bulletmarsh: I was never a huge fan of Bulletmarsh but I think it should be fun, I've only played on it once, but it was a pretty good/fun match.

Now, bring back War Machine, Canals, and Fuel Depot in a "Retro Map Pack"

nel e nel

Posting here to declare interest in adding more players to my harem.

GT is my handle <<<<

Just let me know you're from neogaf, or I'll probably ignore it thinking it's a random.

2th

Banned
Now, bring back War Machine, Canals, and Fuel Depot in a "Retro Map Pack"

I'd rather have new maps or significantly different versions of maps. Like not updated versions of maps but the maps have been significantly changed due to the war. Lambent stalks knocking things over, creating new paths, closing off sections of the map and opening up new ones. That is what I want.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm confused with the map pack, these can all be played in Matchmaking only, not in any private matches or horde? And if you have the season pass (or a certain DLC?) what changes about the ability to play these maps in various modes?

Lima

What is this shit, I'm playing through the campaign and I'm at what I believe is the final part of act 5. During the cutscene where
marcus thrusts his knife into Myrra or whatever she's called
I get "Disc Unreadable". I tried doing it twice and I get the error at the exact same spot. The disc is perfectly clean and barely even used, I got the game a few weeks ago. The game is even installed to the harddrive and I did that without problems. Wtf?

Watched the ending on youtube and just skipped the cutscene, but fuck that is annoying.

Well thank MS for XGD3 Disc format. The DVD is now pushed to its limits with stuff written to the outer edges of the DVD. And some Xbox's have problems with that. The laser is weak or not properly adjusted and thus the disc will fail security checks giving you error messages.

Sucks. I have had this problem with MW3. My console was even flagged for AP 2.5 violation. Had to call support to get this sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom