• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geforce 50-series. Are you ready?

Kings Field

I want to build my first PC. Is it worth it to do a 4080 super build now or wait? I have absolutely no idea about any of this shit. I want something that can get me 1440 for as many frames as possible and has some legs on it to last a bit.

lachesis

I have 4080 Super but looking for something else for my workstation, as well as a new cpu. It all comes down to pricing, actually - that I am cautiously looking forward RX 8800xt.

I like 8800 number. Fond memories from Nvidia 8800 GTX. :) - which sold me to stick with Nvidia over the years. (I do have a Rx 6600 for one of my older machines - but rest of my builds all had an Nvidia gpus.

Hope AMD would deliver something more affordable yet punches upwards - say somewhere between 5070-5080 yet much cheaper. Otherwise RTX5070 - 5080 would be my choice.

I want to build my first PC. Is it worth it to do a 4080 super build now or wait? I have absolutely no idea about any of this shit. I want something that can get me 1440 for as many frames as possible and has some legs on it to last a bit.
The thing about PC gaming is it's completely unlike consoles. With a console, you buy it and you're good for the generation which might be 7-8 years. With PC gaming, new stuff comes out constantly and is better than old stuff, it happens often once or twice every year. So you just have to decide, I have the money, now is the time, I'm gonna build and be at peace with what you built. Because next month something better is going to be released, it's inevitable

hinch7

Nows probably the worst time to buy high end. This GPU generation is coming to a end and the RTX 5000 series coming within several months.

Also might be worth waiting for Intel's Ultra desktop CPU's and the 9800X3D. If not Zen 5 price drops within the Holidays.

Last edited:
Oh ok, thats a shame, if the RTX 5080 is a lot faster then the RTX 4090, 16GB is just not enough in my opinion.

Ah but it won't be. Rumors are that it has basically the same SM count (the 4080S is 80, the full GB203 die has 84). It'll clock higher and have more memory bandwidth than the 4080S but only so much more.

Hopefully they will improve the RT cores but I figure it's mainly AI AI and more AI.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Wait until you see what the 5000 series has to offer. Unless you can get a really good deal for a 4080 Super or 4090. PC gaming is you won't regret the investment. Look what you can do with Reshade injecting SSRTGI into older games with poor lighting:

In Elden Ring's case the Reshade SSRTGI has a more transformative effect than From's own raytracing implementation.

Last edited:

Neilg

I tend to skip 2 generations of GPU in my home machine. Went 1080 - 4090, so I'll be back for the 7090.
I will get to have a 5090 in my work machine though, so I'll get a good feel for the performance outside of games.

Hohenheim

No, it wasn’t. In fact there was such scarcity that many sites were offering raffles for a slot to order 3xxx, sometimes even forcing you to buy a bundle in order to secure one. I traveled all over Southern California, across multiple cities and even checked stock x, which was somewhat helpful in the end.
Yeah, it seems like it was very difficult for you guys in USA. Not like that in europe, but prices here was/is a lot worse than in USA.

skneogaf

I'm in debt because I enjoy buying the latest and greatest gadgets and gizmos. Especially graphics cards of which I've owned many as I'm old, the last last 5 were 1080ti, 2080ti, 3090, 3090ti and my current 4090.

I really should not be interested in trying to afford a 5090 or 5090Ti but I just know I'll be swayed into buying it.

I kind of felt content in recent months as the majority of games I play are either 60fps capped or un-optimised messes but playing black myth wukong on cinematic 4k native with ray tracing on its highest gives 22fps.

I remember playing Crysis at very poor fps and upgrading my gpu and got it to play very well and loved the feeling of progression and conquering my inability to play a graphics benchmark like Crysis very well.

So yeah I'm very likely to figure out how to spend money I don't have on the latest and greatest gpu which means my driving simulator will get my 4090 and my flying simulator will get my 3090ti.

So I'll most likely donate my 2080ti to my mum as she plays world of warcraft.

The only thing stopping me from buying one is nvidia themselves as I'm more than prepared to no if they release a half arsed upgrade due them no longer having competition.

Kenpachii

Got a 4080 laptop atm very happy with its performance ( around 4070 performance ). Mostly i upgrade when i can get 3x more performance over my old solution and a 5090 could push that. I also recently upgraded to a 4k screen so more performance would be useful for that even while i use the 4k screen for ultrawide 3440x1440 resolution more performance will be nice specially for more demanding games.

Still happy with current performance of the laptop. So it's all going to depend on how much DLSS 4 is going to push things forwards and if its exclusive towards the 5000 series. If dlss 4.0 works on 4000 series i could skip the upcoming gen and just wait for 6000 series even if it takes 2 years before that to happen.

PeteBull

5090 sky high prices in Europe incoming.
Obviously, now when we(and nvidia) know amd is dropping the ball and not competting in high end market, ps5pr0 costs as much as it costs, they can go to town and charge 20% premium on top of what they normally could with amd's rx 8900xtx(in another multiverse;p) or ps5pr0 with discdrive at 600euro :)

Right now there are quite literally only a handful of games that make my 3080 sweat so I'll probably not upgrade until the next console generation comes around to boost the hardware baseline.

Last edited:
Probably depends on what model you would be looking at. nVidia usually slashes if not ends production of the desktop cards when the new ones come out. Thing is, I suspect the 4070 GDDR6 was introduced because it (and any cards cheaper) are going to be around a bit longer. It would make sense if Blackwell doesn't support GDDR6X, only GDDR6 or 7.

I think 4070 super/ti super is the most reasonable one for me. I only use 1080p monitors, maybe will grab a 1440p or 2k monitor in the future. So I think higher card than 4070 is way overkill.

Famipan

I’m upgrading from 1060 3GB to 5060/5070 and will need new PSU (currently 500W), CPU, MOBO.
I want to be able to game in upscaled 4K on mid/high on my 48” LG OLED.

In the meantime I plan on getting something which won’t be bottlenecked by my current CPU intel 8400 and which still works on 500W. AMD 6600, 1070, 1080 or something.

Last edited:

BWJinxing

I plan to use the microcenter trade in program for a 5090.

My art hobby uses Reshade, and due to the nature of opengl and Reshade, brute power is required. My 4090 is edging my 7900xtx it replaced , but I also need the power to speed up my topaz ai processes

I'm still really not seeing any major problems with my 3080. Everything I play runs above 80fps at 1440p at decent settings. However I imagine that the card will start to show it's limits in the next 12 months and the 10Gb VRAM may become a bit of an issue.

I'm not in a major rush but I'll likely go for a 5080. I've just picked up a 1440p Samsung G6 OLED. I assume that the 5080 will be way more than enough for my needs.

kevboard

I really hope they somehow pull another RTX30 style generation here. massive performance for decent prices.

sadly, as AMD's market share dwindles this becomes less and less likely, unless Nvidia actively tries to end them for good

I bought the 4080 Laptop version this week, I have two desktops because of travel therefore I'm just going to wait to upgrade my 3080. On my main rig I have the 7900XTX for now.

Hohenheim

I bought the 4080 Laptop version this week, I have two desktops because of travel therefore I'm just going to wait to upgrade my 3080. On my main rig I have the 7900XTX for now.
I sold my 4090 in preparation for the 5090, and i'm currently on a 7700xt as a temporary solution. Will upgrade to a 4K OLED monitor alongside the 5090, so it should be glorious. I'm saving games like Black Myth until then, so currently getting through quite a few older games in my Steam library.

Hohenheim

Fresh leak from kopite7kimi. As always keep that grain of salt nearby, but those 5090 specs looks pretty good! 32 gb Vram for a start.
Also, much like the 40-series, the leap from 80 to 90 is huge!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
My 4070Ti still chews through everything I throw at it, especially since my monitor is 1440p.

With no new console generation immanent to move the base spec up for devs, I think I can probably make it to the 6000s without much sacrifice.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Fresh leak from kopite7kimi. As always keep that grain of salt nearby, but those 5090 specs looks pretty good! 32 gb Vram for a start.
Also, much like the 40-series, the leap from 80 to 90 is huge!
From the specs alone, the 4090 is more powerful than 5080. It’s like in the middle between 5080 and 5090

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
From the specs alone, the 4090 is more powerful than 5080. It’s like in the middle between 5080 and 5090

It looked the same for the 4080 vs 3090 and hell, even 3080 Ti.

Thing is, depending on how they upgrade their RT blocks, ML architecture, memory caches, and shader pipeline, you can't really compare. 4080 bitch slapped a 3090.

tmlDan

I'm looking forward to people crying about prices for things they were never going to buy anyway.

tenor.gif
but you see, if it was $800 instead of 2-3 grand id buy it....sooo i just dont want to waste money on it lol

Hohenheim

I'm excited to hear about the potential DLSS 4 in these cards. I suppose they'll have a improved version to show off, which of course will be locked away behind the new 50-series.

sendit

Nows probably the worst time to buy high end. This GPU generation is coming to a end and the RTX 5000 series coming within several months.

Also might be worth waiting for Intel's Ultra desktop CPU's and the 9800X3D. If not Zen 5 price drops within the Holidays.
Additionally, Nvidia is going to gate keep a new DLSS feature with the new gen cards.

Xdrive05

Are there any rumors of new features locked to the 50 series like how DLSS 3 frame gen is locked to the 40 series?

UnrealEck

I have a 4090 and I'm losing my job soon so I won't be upgrading to the 5090. I really don't need an upgrade anyway.
It's easy to get caught up in chasing more and more frames per second with new and unrefined, performance hungry settings.

The prices of things now are just completely absurd. I remember something like a GTX 8800 Ultra (the highest end from either ATI or nVidia) was £500 which was expensive at the time.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I'm just curious how they will justify the 5090. What performance hog of a game will they release to justify its existence.
Probably FF XVI at 4K60

Wukong will be for sure, Warhammer. I can see Assassin's Creed too, but it got delayed and the whole Ubisoft shebang is getting worse and worse

AngelMuffin

I'm sticking with the 40 series for now. But I know not to speak in absolutes so who knows what the next couple of years will bring and how it affects my GPU needs.

Current plan is stick with my current PC and then maybe a full rebuild around the time the 6000 series rolls around.
Yep, only the Sith deal in absolutes.

I'm in debt because I enjoy buying the latest and greatest gadgets and gizmos. Especially graphics cards of which I've owned many as I'm old, the last last 5 were 1080ti, 2080ti, 3090, 3090ti and my current 4090.

I really should not be interested in trying to afford a 5090 or 5090Ti but I just know I'll be swayed into buying it.

I kind of felt content in recent months as the majority of games I play are either 60fps capped or un-optimised messes but playing black myth wukong on cinematic 4k native with ray tracing on its highest gives 22fps.

I remember playing Crysis at very poor fps and upgrading my gpu and got it to play very well and loved the feeling of progression and conquering my inability to play a graphics benchmark like Crysis very well.

So yeah I'm very likely to figure out how to spend money I don't have on the latest and greatest gpu which means my driving simulator will get my 4090 and my flying simulator will get my 3090ti.

So I'll most likely donate my 2080ti to my mum as she plays world of warcraft.

The only thing stopping me from buying one is nvidia themselves as I'm more than prepared to no if they release a half arsed upgrade due them no longer having competition.
I hope this is sarcasm.

TheStam

I'm leaning towards skipping this gen, but kind of want to get the 5090 and run it with my 13700k (if it survives lol). Problem is I know I would then like to upgrade to a 4k monitor as well next year when the new OLEDs drop and suddenly the investment is getting into silly territory. I could definitely keep my 4080 for another GPU gen, but on the other hand the second hand value of my 4080 would plummet by the time it's two generations old.

Outlier

Nope.

What am I gonna do with it?
Play Cyberpunk 2077 with PT at 4K 120 FPS, on my 60Hz tv?

My 7900XTX already does RT at 1440P, close to consistent 60 FPS.

I'm not dumping my bank on something I won't benefit much from.

But hope you guys enjoy it. :)

I'm sticking with the 40 series for now. But I know not to speak in absolutes so who knows what the next couple of years will bring and how it affects my GPU needs.

Current plan is stick with my current PC and then maybe a full rebuild around the time the 6000 series rolls around.
I will also stick with the 40 series. My card is already significantly more powerful than a PS5 Pro (which means we're not going to see a PS6 for a long time).

I hope the 6000 series absolutely crushes the 4000, and whilst being more efficient. This is when I'll upgrade.

For now I can play everything 4k60 which is fine. Worst case I'll use DLSS balanced or even performance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom