• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geforce 50-series. Are you ready?

NahaNago

I'll probably be ready. I only have a 4060 right now so I'd like something a lot more powerful. Will probably upgrade the other parts before that though.

Wonder if the lower end cards will be neutered as much as the 40 series. Maybe with AMD wanting to focus less on the high end we will get some competitive mid range cards. With the way the handled the whole 9000 series release though, I'm worried.

Reactions: Gp1

Zacfoldor

I don't game on PC and have a 3080. I won't be getting this.

BUT....and this is a huge BUT...

If I wasn't primarily gaming on PS5/Pro I would be all over this, ngl.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I can't freaking wait for the 5090. My biggest worry right now is not being able to get it when it comes out do to demand/scalpers.

I can't freaking wait for the 5090. My biggest worry right now is not being able to get it when it comes out do to demand/scalpers.

Was there any issue around getting 4080/4090? My understanding was that was a one off for 3 series but I may be wrong. I can't see there being too much demand for a 5090.

Schnauzer

I was ready to upgrade my 4090 to a 5090 until I saw the increased power usage. I think we are approaching more watts than I feel comfortable with at this point. I have a hard time going past the 500watt mark. Maybe we can undervolt it and still get the same performance like the 4090?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

these cards won’t use PCIE gen 5 and ddr5 has nothing to do with this . lol
What are you on? If the system is PCI-E 5.0 then the 5090 will use the PCI-E lanes at 5.0 speed. I never said it would saturate those speeds.

Faster ram(I had a DDR4 system at the start of 2024) doesn't affect gaming? Again what are you on?

Last edited:

Bashtee

Not sure right now. I kind of want more power for some local LLMs, but I'd actually need more memory and 32gb isn't enough.

Not sure right now. I kind of want more power for some local LLMs, but I'd actually need more memory and 32gb isn't enough.

That's the real reason GB202 is as big as it is. They will sell workstation models that are triple what the 5090 is for the 64 GB (among other things)

smbu2000

Don’t have any desire to upgrade my gpu for now. Perfectly happy with my current portable-ish mATX build (7800x3d/4090) with my 1000w SFX-L PSU.
Pulling 600w might be too much and the size for the 5090 will probably also increase to compensate for the extra heat.
My Gaming X Trio 4090 is already big but still fits in my mATX case.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I will be surprised if this thing breaks 2k GBP. If it does it will pass. 1,799 to 1,999 and I'm in.
The 5090 should be a nice upgrade over the 4090....but I hope it's not too big of an upgrade as I want to sit out this generation....

which means I will get a 5090....

//DEVIL//

What are you on? If the system is PCI-E 5.0 then the 5090 will use the PCI-E lanes at 5.0 speed. I never said it would saturate those speeds.

Faster ram(I had a DDR4 system at the start of 2024) doesn't affect gaming? Again what are you on?
I would like to correct your mistakes in everything you said but I am too lazy. The small short answer is

While ddr5 is faster than ddr4, in gaming at 4K ( which I am assuming this is what you game since you want a 5090 otherwise I would like to throw you of the window ) then it won’t matter the speed of RAM, you won’t notice any difference in frames. maybe couple of frames if you are lucky.

As for PCIe 5. If we are barely using the speed of pcie 4 what fucking difference if it’s running at PCIe 5 with the speed of PCIe 4 ??

Not gonna bother more with this. Do a proper research about it and congrats on your system

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I would like to correct your mistakes in everything you said but I am too lazy. The small short answer is

While ddr5 is faster than ddr4, in gaming at 4K ( which I am assuming this is what you game since you want a 5090 otherwise I would like to throw you of the window ) then it won’t matter the speed of ram . You won’t notice any

As for pcie 5. If we are barely using the speed of pcie 4 what fucking difference if it’s running and pcie 5 with the speed of pcie 4 ??

Not gonna bother more with this. Do a proper research about it and congrats on your system
The general idea I was getting at in my first post is that the PCI-E 5.0 and DDR5 system will get more out of a 5090 than a PCI-E 4.0 and DDR4 system.

I'm not under the delusion the newer system will be 2x faster, more like 10-20%

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just to chime in, the main benefit of pci-e 5 at this point is that you can use less lanes to get the same bandwidth.
For example, pcie 5.0 x8 = pcie 4.0 x16
Then that frees up more bandwidth for other stuff you can add in (nvme drives, an additional videocard, etc...)

Last edited:

Darchaos

Not only am i ready for the 50 series, im fuckin ready for the 60 series too in about 2 years!!! Bring it on mothefuckers!!!

Last edited:

Knightime_X

lewd funny sex GIF

^ Me for the RTX 5070 Super or Ti

Soodanim

I hope the 5060 is an unmistakable improvement over the 4060, unlike what happened with 4060 vs 3060 where there could be an argument made either way.

I'm not expecting it, I'm just hoping for it. If you'd be so kind, Jen.

And it might have to be nVidia, as rumours of AMD's next aren't too strong. Which is a damn shame, because every single time is like a step closer to a 1 party system and nobody that isn't a delusional fanboy or investor wants that.

Edit:

I'll consider the 5070 if it hit the right price/perf ratio.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Picked up a 4070 Super recently, as I needed a card to get me through until the 5090 comes out. After using a 7700 xt for a while, the difference was quite huge, especially because of dat sweet dlss and frame Gen.
Very excited to see what the 50-series offers in this regard, as dlss 4 is surely a given for those cards. (And it will probably be available only on the 50-series cards too)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m just floating around this thread with the hopes that some wealthy GAFer will take pity on a poor peasant like me and give sell me their ancient good-for-nothin 4090.

pauper begging child GIF

I hope the 5060 is an unmistakable improvement over the 4060, unlike what happened with 4060 vs 3060 where there could be an argument made either way.

Speculation is that the desktop versions of GB206 and GB207 aren't even going to use GDDR7. And GB207 cuts the SM count quite a bit (24 -> 20). I don't think it will actually be slower due to higher clock speeds but not much of an improvement if any.

rm082e

oh boy they're gonna try pulling the 4080 12gb again

Yeah, I got a real sour face when I looked at those tweets from the leaker last week. Half the flagship spec wise would make it the worst 80 series card we've seen, but of course they won't halve the price. Assuming this is the 5080 and not the 5070, my plans to buy one are out the window. I guess I wait to see if they put out an 80 Ti in 2026.

Hopefully we get a pleasant surprise and those specs are actually the 5070 and a solid in-betweener card is actually the 5080. Hope...

amigastar

I will also stick with the 40 series. My card is already significantly more powerful than a PS5 Pro (which means we're not going to see a PS6 for a long time).

I hope the 6000 series absolutely crushes the 4000, and whilst being more efficient. This is when I'll upgrade.

For now I can play everything 4k60 which is fine. Worst case I'll use DLSS balanced or even performance.
I have an RTX 4070 currently, not gonna upgrade for now, also. I'm curious what DLSS 4.0 will bring to the table and if its gonna be exclusive to the 50xx series.

F3112006

I’m not sure what to do, I currently have a 3080 and a ryzen 5 3700x I’m looking at completely updating my cpu but will have to buy a mobo and ram to supplement it, or keep the old stuff and get a 5080.

ap_puff

I’m not sure what to do, I currently have a 3080 and a ryzen 5 3700x I’m looking at completely updating my cpu but will have to buy a mobo and ram to supplement it, or keep the old stuff and get a 5080.
What mobo are you using? You might be able to slot in a 5700x3d

Top Bottom