• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 5.0 (Natlan) - Everything Changed When the Fire Nation Arrived

Fuz

Banned
Maybe it's the honeymoon phase, but I'm having tons of fun with ToF too.
I managed to fix the keybinds, don't know how, I started rage-changing them all back and forth until it worked. I got the "birthday bug" (wrong birthday saved by a bug and can't change it again) and it pisses me off, and A LOT, toh.
It's more unpolished than Genshin, but that was expected. Exploration is fun. Combat is fun and I like the simulacra system. Switching weapons is better than switching characters, I never really liked that from Genshin - I prefer a single character. I hate that you can't switch weapon without being forced to use the weapon charge when at max, though. Your main character is higly customizable so you don't have to go around with that pathetic midriff Aether or moron-look Lumine. There are vehicles but they are complete shit, you stop when you need to mount, it gets stuck more than Mona's sprint, any action except jump dismounts you and they're not even that fast. Completely pointless, you forget they exist 10 minutes after you get them. Race missions are kind of fun, though. Really like the world and mecha design so far.
Cooldowns on gadgets is shit. Some gadgets are REALLY cool and interesting but I can't believe how stupid having long cooldowns on those is. And how much time you waste because of that. Timegating is AWFUL, especially when you find a chest in the world that you need to complete exploration BUT NO, you need to wait 16 hours or so! And then you forget the location, of course, and have to pointlessly hunt again if you want to 100% the exploration. There are lots of pointless time wasters, I'm not gonna list them all, but the devs seem to be hell-bent in making you waste as much time as possible. Dungeons are WAAAAAY better than Genshin, there are arenas but there are classic dungeons too.
Targeting is also crap, I have no idea why it switches by itself making me waste weapon charges on the wrong enemies all the time.
So, yeah, it's kinda janky but it's fun as fuck for now. I forced myself to go to sleep at 5:00 AM yesterday.
gmorning.gif

Oh, OF COURSE I got 3 SSR pulls so far. The granted 30, 80 and a random one. Three bow girls. I'm fucking cursed.

Last edited:

crumbs

I wachting the livestream and looks like Colei will be indeed free if I understand right. A Sumeru story quest with free Colei reward.
Doesn't look like she's free, Apparently she is free and also rate up on the first phase banners with either Tig or Zhongli:

Second phase is Dori on Ganyu or Kokomi's banners.

Edit: Livestream codes

8ANCKTWYVRD5
EA7VKTFHU9VR
KT7DKSFGCRWD

Last edited:

crumbs

The 5 week thing is interesting. I wonder if they adjust the BP requirements since there will be a week reduction in time? I usually finish it with plenty of time to spare, but it could be an issue for more casual players.

Edit: I guess they are reducing the requirements for the battle pass (900 per level instead of 1000) to reflect the 5 week patch duration:

Last edited:

///PATRIOT

Banned
Hi guys. I have a couple of weeks playing genshin so I'm now level AR 30 and need some guidance.
I've been paralyzed and reluctant to upgrade my characters and weapons because I have learned that resources in Genshin, like mora, exp books and ascending materials are very scarce in late game, so you should spend them on the characters you want. But then getting the awesome characters you want could take up months or a year! I still have to play with the one I have, the Traveler, lisa, amber, kaeya, barabara, xianling and Heizou(pulling my first wishes).
I have only upgraded the traveler to character level 30 and the rest of them to around 15 thinking I could save up resources for the Character I want, but progressing likes this is difficult and not fun.
I dont know what to do.
  • Should I upgrade the characters I have? by how much without wasting for late game and future wanted characters?

Xiangling is one of the most powerful characters in the game. You can fully level her without worry. All other characters should be leveled to 20 and then adcended for the free wish that rewards you.

The other listed characters kinda suck. I wouldn't recommend investing more in them, but if you have difficulty completing some content it's fine to level your favorites up a bit.

While resources are somewhat scarce, you should get enough to fully upgrade most of the 5 stars you'll get, so don't worry too much about it.

Saber

Hi guys. I have a couple of weeks playing genshin so I'm now level AR 30 and need some guidance.
I've been paralyzed and reluctant to upgrade my characters and weapons because I have learned that resources in Genshin, like mora, exp books and ascending materials are very scarce in late game, so you should spend them on the characters you want. But then getting the awesome characters you want could take up months or a year! I still have to play with the one I have, the Traveler, lisa, amber, kaeya, barabara, xianling and Heizou(pulling my first wishes).
I have only upgraded the traveler to character level 30 and the rest of them to around 15 thinking I could save up resources for the Character I want, but progressing likes this is difficult and not fun.
I dont know what to do.
  • Should I upgrade the characters I have? by how much without wasting for late game and future wanted characters?

Focus exactly on your main characters. These characters(team of 4 members)should be the ones you can easly farm and sweep enemies for the rest of your character line-up.
Don't try leveling up all characters at same time, otherwise you will suffer from lack of mora.

Progressing is a really tedious process, but again spend everything you got around 4 members and make them your main team. Anything after that can wait, unless you're missing an element that you think your team is lacking. Same applies to new characters. Want a new character? Go for it, the first step its actually get the character. But let them sit and don't spend a single dime on it until you're pretty much safe for farming with no worries. Also, does not haste for increasing your World Rank, until your characters are strong and you feel like the rewards are not enought.

About the characters you have:
- Traveler : this guy is pretty good, but only sticks with its Anemo version.
- Liza : Shes is...kinda mediocre, but if you want to save your primos and just want reactions go for her.
- Amber : Pretty damn solid. Trade her only if you stop liking her play style.
- Kaeya : This is more of support and investing on him can be a pain. If you like short cooldowns and needs a cryo stick with him. Otherwise, discards him.
Barbara: Excelent anti-pyro mage that comes with healings. You don't need that much of investiment and you can totally use her as a full healer/damage dealer(like I do).
- Heizou: I don't play with him, but since its an another Anemo it could work. Not in the same level as Sucrose, but Anemos are a total must because of how easy you can wrecks pretty much about everything. Apply one element and keep spamming reactions, works wonders on Hilicurls with Cryo Shields.

Last edited:

Pejo

The sped up patches is a bit worrying. They say they'll have the same amount of content, but this also means we collectively get less primogems per patch now. With shorter banners and banners happening more frequently, they're creating FOMO and likely trying to drive spending up. Greedy fucks.

Maybe I'll be wrong and the freemogems will also increase, but somehow why do I have my doubts about that?

The sped up patches is a bit worrying. They say they'll have the same amount of content, but this also means we collectively get less primogems per patch now. With shorter banners and banners happening more frequently, they're creating FOMO and likely trying to drive spending up. Greedy fucks.

Maybe I'll be wrong and the freemogems will also increase, but somehow why do I have my doubts about that?
I'd be more worried if the banners were jam-packed with new characters like in Inazuma, but 3.0 is so incredibly boring with its single new 5 star. I'm not too worried right now.

Pejo

I'd be more worried if the banners were jam-packed with new characters like in Inazuma, but 3.0 is so incredibly boring with its single new 5 star. I'm not too worried right now.
I guess. I'll wait until reddit does the math of how many primos we get now vs then per patch to judge. You'd have to assume with how much cash they make already that they would have some goodwill towards players, but then again, MORE money.

Anyways, I'm fucking PUMPED for free Collei. I can skip that whole banner now. Shame pt2 is only reruns, I would have probably tried to get Dori, but I don't really need Ganyu constellaions, and Kokomi's are...yea no.

I wish they would have led Sumeru banners with someone more exciting that Tiggyboi. Al Haitham would have been a much better choice if they wanted a male character. Hell, even Cyno.

Saber

I do think it's not much of big deal, except for the new place which I think it looks nice. Really hoping it's similar to Moonstad in terms of exploration, GI is becoming really terrible in this aspect.

Btw, did anyone notice this 5-star character will be part of pemanent blue wish banner once it's own banner ends? Maybe I missed this in the leaks, didn't knew about that.

Other thing that I don't remember/maybe missed is the part where you have to do specific reactions to get the drop you want. Does this still happens?

Last edited:

Pejo

Btw, did anyone notice this 5-star character will be part of pemanent blue wish banner once it's own banner ends? Maybe I missed this in the leaks, didn't knew about that.

Other thing that I don't remember/maybe missed is the part where you have to do specific reactions to get the drop you want. Does this still happens?
Yea both of these things were leaked a while ago, still good to have confirmation.

Also, this official art means that Dehya is likely confirmed 5*, since all of the other characters featured on it are also 5*s. Feeling pretty good about that, now I just hope she's good.

474b7m7eshh91.jpg

Yea both of these things were leaked a while ago, still good to have confirmation.

Also, this official art means that Dehya is likely confirmed 5*, since all of the other characters featured on it are also 5*s. Feeling pretty good about that, now I just hope she's good.

474b7m7eshh91.jpg

Who is the character on the front right?

Fake

Gold Member
I guess. I'll wait until reddit does the math of how many primos we get now vs then per patch to judge. You'd have to assume with how much cash they make already that they would have some goodwill towards players, but then again, MORE money.

Anyways, I'm fucking PUMPED for free Collei. I can skip that whole banner now. Shame pt2 is only reruns, I would have probably tried to get Dori, but I don't really need Ganyu constellaions, and Kokomi's are...yea no.

I wish they would have led Sumeru banners with someone more exciting that Tiggyboi. Al Haitham would have been a much better choice if they wanted a male character. Hell, even Cyno.

I made the choise of leveling up Collei. Dunno about her kit, but the bommerang is by far the best Sumeru can offer right now.

I guess the 5* furrie is about damage than fun gameplay, but Collei will keep me until Nilou banner.

Last edited:
Same here. I was scared I'd have to use dendro Traveler. The horror! Dori is cool, but I'm too far into pity to risk rolling for her. Since 3.0 is an easy skip, I'm really curious what 3.1 will bring us.

Dehya looks so badass. I hope her kit'll be good.

deanote666

They're probably shortening a few patches to get back on schedule after the delay in May.

BJK

I dont know what to do.

I’ll echo what most of the other players already said: focus on Xiangling (off-field DPS), Barbara (healer), and the Traveler for now. For a little utility, you could pull on the beginner banner & get Noelle, who can shield you from some damage, or you can take a damage-dealer and try to force elemental reactions (Kayea would give you freeze on wet enemies….and your Barbara will keep a water aura around your character while she heals).

Resources aren’t that scarce…it’s just that getting them means running ley lines or bosses instead of artifact / book farming with your resin. Plus, the last levels start to get expensive. 60 or 70 will be good enough for most characters for quite some time. You’re going to want to get every character to at least Lv. 70 anyway…so don’t worry too much about that part of things.

(Raising a character’s max level to 80 will unlock 3 free wishes that can only be used on the standard banner. You might want to hold on to these for a little while, since there are rumors the standard banner is going to get new characters added. That said, if you’re heart’s set on trying to get Diluc, Jean, Mona, QiQi, or Keqing…Mihoyo adding additional 5*s to the banner will dilute your odds.)

Save your gold talent books until you know what you’re doing, or you at least have a 5* that you like. Don’t worry about artifacts until the top-tier (gold background) versions are available to you. Likewise, don’t waste materials on weapons that are less than 4*.

Fuz

Banned
You’re going to want to get every character to at least Lv. 70 anyway
No you don't.

I'd personally stop at 50 THEN evaluate when you understand how teams work and what you want to do. You don't need more than 50 until high AR anyway.
And Heizou is actually pretty good AND fun to play. Focus on him and Xianling, the other characters kinda suck, including Barbara. Kaeya can be decent.

My advice: HOARD everything.

Last edited:

crumbs

Couple of semi-random thoughts going forward:

- Tighnari will be added to the standard banner after 3.0. Does this also mean he will be one of the potential characters when losing a 50/50 on the limited banner? I assume yes, but did the devs confirm?
- I've been thinking about pulling for Kokomi since I want an AOE hydro character, plus her healing would be another advantage. But do I wait for Nilou? I like her design more and she seems to also provide AOE hydro, but she lacks heals and may have be more of a dendro-specific buffer. Hopefully Nilou is in the 3.1 beta and we'll have a better idea of her kit by the time the 3.0 phase 2 banners hit.

Fake

Gold Member
Getting Nilou depends of two factors:

- You want to be simp
- You don't have a strong Hydro comp for Dendro mechanics

About Tighnari, burning was nerfed because of him, so he will be probably one of the strongest dendro on the game until we get Anchor Dendro. MYH have this greedy action of nerfing this or buffing that just for make 5* banners profit on the Meta side.

And until we get Anchor Dendro, Abyss will be a living hell because Abyss buff will be probably around Dendro reaction.

Kokomi is a better version of Barbara, so I don't compare Nilou with Kokomi because just their elemental are equal, their playerstyles vary very deep. Remember that Kokomi was sold in the same time as those Wolf poison bullshit, so expect something similar. A strong foe with hurt even members that are not in the field.

My recommendation about Nilou is to wait. We don't know the role story of Nilou. People over the beta was concerned about Nilou reaction limitation, some even thinking about Nilou get her stars reduced to 4.

I would get Nilou anyway because I'm simp she is a sword and I already have good weapons/artifacts waiting for her thanks to Yelan, not to mention Hydro comp will be buffed so expect more two hydro combinations.

Fuz

Banned
Oh, OF COURSE I got 3 SSR pulls so far. The granted 30, 80 and a random one. Three bow girls. I'm fucking cursed.

But I also got a random Crow (really wanted him) and a random Shiro from the trash tier black ball summons.
dunnasd.gif

Couple of semi-random thoughts going forward:

- Tighnari will be added to the standard banner after 3.0. Does this also mean he will be one of the potential characters when losing a 50/50 on the limited banner? I assume yes, but did the devs confirm?
- I've been thinking about pulling for Kokomi since I want an AOE hydro character, plus her healing would be another advantage. But do I wait for Nilou? I like her design more and she seems to also provide AOE hydro, but she lacks heals and may have be more of a dendro-specific buffer. Hopefully Nilou is in the 3.1 beta and we'll have a better idea of her kit by the time the 3.0 phase 2 banners hit.
I assume Tighnari will be added to the roster of pity loss characters. I don't know if they've confirmed that though.

Kokomi is like the perfect support character. Constant healing, hydro application, Tenacity of Millelith bonus for the entire team and Thrilling Tales bonus. Super easy to build with little investment too. There's no way Nilou can compete with such a convenient and complete package.

Saber

Gotta a strange feeling they will do all in their power to push Dendro like theres no tomorrow. Gonna risk the new characters moving foward will have talents/cons related to Dendro reactions in some form.

Gotta a strange feeling they will do all in their power to push Dendro like theres no tomorrow. Gonna risk the new characters moving foward will have talents/cons related to Dendro reactions in some form.
Probably, but dendro's usefulness will not be fully understood for a long time. We will have to judge Nilou based on her synergy with only three dendro characters (Traveler, Tighnari, Collei) and that's just not a lot.

Pejo

Dendro is the new "forcing you to use Amber for the Pyro puzzles". The entire first area of Sumeru is going to be based around Dendro and its various reactions. Kinda smart how they're forcing you to learn the reactions to properly fight the bosses and even solve the open world puzzles. Kind of a "learn by doing" thing so that people gradually come to understand Dendro reactions. Since they're almost all 2 tiers of reactions, and this is the only element that does that, they really needed something to teach players how to use it. I like this SO much better than tutorial-izing the hell out of us.

Anyways, I'm excited for Sumeru, finally watched the special program this morning. Everything's looking good, and I have a few theories on the main story.

Now back to ToF.

But I also got a random Crow (really wanted him) and a random Shiro from the trash tier black ball summons.
dunnasd.gif
Damn you got her color/outfit change then? I'm working on getting Samir to 3* to get that latex suit.

10 more pulls before pity, and we get our selectors tonight/tomorrow/at reset. If I dono't get the twintailed plugsuit girl from the gacha, i'm picking her for my selector. If I do get her, then I'm picking the greatsword girl.

The main story for ToF has been so wildly inconsistent. Some story quests have zero animation and look like cutscenes from a 2002 game. Other times they have really cool scenes and great animation, and interesting fresh gameplay mechanics. I love those daily training missions (some of them anyways), and those minigames when you open the chests and get sucked into dreamworld are great. There's a lot of good stuff here that Genshin should consider adding. Anyways, - did you do the Amusement park questline yet? The ending scene was pretty cool, much higher effort than stuff that Genshin has done outside of cutscenes. I'm talking about the fireworks scene synced to the vocal song that plays.

Fuz

Banned
Damn you got her color/outfit change then? I'm working on getting Samir to 3* to get that latex suit.
Yep.
I love that you can buy constellations with tokens, planning to 3★ Diluc King and wait for some katana weapon.
2Rce3.gif

did you do the Amusement park questline yet
Just got there.

Did you manage to get anything with the claw minigame?

Last edited:
It's a good thing I pulled for Kokomi on her original release banner even though the metaslaves were all bitching about her not critting or whatever it was they were mad about. I'm ready to water the plants or whatever Hydro/Dendro interactions will be like.

Pejo

Yep.
I love that you can buy constellations with tokens, planning to 3★ Diluc King and wait for some katana weapon.
2Rce3.gif

Just got there.

Did you manage to get anything with the claw minigame?
I didn't find the claw minigame, where is it?

Saber

Does all of you guys gonna train Colei?

She seems pretty damn nice, but I feel like Dendro it's too much of niche(at least from the leaks and videos I got) to be worth that much of investiment. Gonna get Dendro Traveler, let him just spam dendro for reactions and be done with it. He is already maxed in terms of level, so not much of work is needed.

Pejo

Does all of you guys gonna train Colei?

She seems pretty damn nice, but I feel like Dendro it's too much of niche(at least from the leaks and videos I got) to be worth that much of investiment. Gonna get Dendro Traveler, let him just spam dendro for reactions and be done with it. He is already maxed in terms of level, so not much of work is needed.
Lv 90 9/9/9 for me. You're going to need Dendro to navigate and do puzzles, Traveler is just a waste of resources IMO. Though, at least Dendro Traveler doesn't have the ridiculous long cooldown of Electro. Still 8 second cooldown for pocket sand seems like they really couldn't be bothered to give Traveler an actual interesting elemental skill.

Out of all the announced/known Dendro characters, Collei is the only one that I like both the character and the kit. Otherwise we have Traveler/Baizhu/Tiggy/Yaoyao. Al Haitham is likely Dendro, but who knows when we'll see his banner.

She's gonna be my little Dendro Amber.

Planning my exploration team to be Yoi/Yelan/Collei/Shinobu. That way I can hit all the new reactions without party swapping back and forth, and have Yelan for zipping around fast. I was hoping to fit either Keqing or Kaz in for vertical traversal but I'd either have to give up a healer or an element, so I guess I'll just make due. I guess I could run Keqing/Kokomi/Collei/Yoi, but then I don't have any 'gotta go fast' characters. I guess we'll see if there's more vertical or horizontal exploration this time. That does remind me that Keqing is getting a nice buff by the way of Dendro and Aggravate, so I need to finish building her Electro dmg set before 3.0 starts.

Saber

My team will likely be something like Keq/ Fichlz/Barbara and Dendro Traveler. Keq will be my main damage dealer for this team. I could swap Barbara for Xiangling when the situation is needed, but judging the low damage of burning reactions deal in contrast with enemy burning, she might be not much needed. And if we're talking about puzzles, got a feeling Barbara will be needed as the recent puzzles has the usual retard traps of suddenly spamming mages all over and catch you off-guard.

Reason for using Traveler even though seems like mid-low tier is because I'm only using him as a Dendro apply spammer. I even got ER artifacts here for him just I can spam burst over and over for reactions.

Last edited:

Pejo

My team will likely be something like Keq/ Fichlz/Barbara and Dendro Traveler. Keq will be my main damage dealer for this team. I could swap Barbara for Xiangling when the situation is needed, but judging the low damage of burning reactions deal in contrast with enemy burning, she might be not much needed. And if we're talking about puzzles, got a feeling Barbara will be needed as the recent puzzles has the usual retard traps of suddenly spamming mages all over and catch you off-guard.

Reason for using Traveler even though seems like mid-low tier is because I'm only using him as a Dendro apply spammer. I even got ER artifacts here for him just I can spam burst over and over for reactions.
They hinted it a bit in the special program, but there's gonna be enemy types that drop different things depending on their "state" when you kill them, meaning which element you hit them with last. Also, puzzles require you to hit Dendro objects with different objects to make them react differently. Like hitting a dead mushroom with water brings it back to life, then you hit it with Electro to "charge" it, so you can use it as a bounce pad. Or a vine that blocks a passage and you have to hit it with Pyro to shrink it down so you can enter etc. I just want to have to avoid swapping characters in/out to get past stuff like that.

Though, with 3.0 we are getting the new party swap interface and 10 premade team slots, so maybe it'll be less of a hassle than it is currently.

I'm just glad Keqing is getting a second shot and some relevance.

a59adfp1iqh91.jpg

Last edited:

BJK

Currently friend-leveling Yoimiya & Yae Miko, plus Eula & Jean to clean things up. Will probably bench Eula for Dendro traveler at least initially, then see how I like Colei once I have the free copy (or if I get her while trying to C2 Zhongli).

I have yet to really invest in any of the traveler’s elements, if only because anemo traveler got stuck behind Jean, Eula, Diluc, etc., in terms of priority. I’d really like to have at least one form really built up, in case I need to use her.

Regardless, I’ll have Zhongli & Venti on a quick swap when I need my traversal team.

crumbs

Current plans are probably pulling for Kokomi and leveling up Collei after her event. This will allow me to get a feel for how dendro plays through 3.0 and then make more informed decisions on pulling for future dendro characters.

The negative with plan is that, by skipping his banner, I'll probably never get Tighnari since I only get Keqing or Mona cons when losing the 50/50 :messenger_neutral:

Top Bottom