• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 5.0 (Natlan) - Everything Changed When the Fire Nation Arrived

Fuz

Banned
Well my point is you can't run a full Geo + Kusanali team because Dendro + Geo don't react, and the Dendro reaction is what triggers the ATK speed buff. So you'd need either a Hydro/Pyro/Electro character + Itto + Kusanali. Also the 120% damage bonus is only for the react-able elements. Something like Kusanali + *spits* Benny + *spits* Gorou + Itto would probably be effective.
I was thinking Raiden instead of Benny. But yeah.

Xiao burst + Xingu burst + 80% attack speed =
evan peters run GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
I approve of the Rush T-Shirt.

What movie is this image from?

Fake

Gold Member
I was thinking Raiden instead of Benny. But yeah.

I approve of the Rush T-Shirt.

What movie is this image from?

Xmen movie with Wolverine back in time with his mind. They ask help from young mercury to invade the pentagon.

Reactions: Fuz

Saber

Am I the only one who thinks those events are literally being made by dumbass monkeys?

Like, I even gave a positive vibe on yesterday event since it has an interesting concept(the first ones are trash btw). But then today arives and they make the interesting turn into poop event.

Last edited:

Pejo

Am I the only one who thinks those events are literally being made by dumbass monkeys?

Like, I even gave a positive vibe on yesterday event since it has an interesting concept(the first ones are trash btw). But then today arives and they make the interesting turn into poop event.
Haven't tried them yet. I hope it's better than the ping pong game from last year with the terrible lag.

Anyways, it's that time again for the best gal.
m3bjt5ndopg91.jpg

deanote666

Quick question:

In the Mona event domain, is there an actual hint to the torch puzzle at the end of one of the paths?

I ended up looking up the solution but can't find anywhere in the actual game that shows any hint to the puzzle.

The co-op event was fun. One of the runs, one of the boats kept disappearing and had to respawn to respawn the boat. First time doing the last round, fell down once and had to respawn twice to get back up where I needed to be.

Last edited:

Pejo

Quick question:

In the Mona event domain, is there an actual hint to the torch puzzle at the end of one of the paths?

I ended up looking up the solution but can't find anywhere in the actual game that shows any hint to the puzzle.

The co-op event was fun. One of the runs, one of the boats kept disappearing and had to respawn to respawn the boat. First time doing the last round, fell down once and had to respawn twice to get back up where I needed to be.
Was it the one where the constellation you had to light was reflected on the pool outside of the room? That one took me a minute to figure out, but mostly because I was wondering if they went so far as to invert the puzzles since it was a reflection (they didn't).

Fake

Gold Member
I barely did the Mona event. Look at some tuto and move on.

BTW, taking the feedback into account they know that they made a huge mistake on her puzzle. Loads of 'are you feel dizzy' questions on the feedback page.

deanote666

Was it the one where the constellation you had to light was reflected on the pool outside of the room? That one took me a minute to figure out, but mostly because I was wondering if they went so far as to invert the puzzles since it was a reflection (they didn't).
No constellation in the torch puzzle (that I could see). Hilichurl torches. Part of it involves breaking boulders to reveal a small water source but I don't see any hint.

It's bugging me that there is no hint.

Not sure if that puzzle you mentioned was earlier in the same path or not.

With the rumored Zhongli rerun banner on the horizon, I completed the summer event on both of my accounts trying to get enough to try a 50/50 pity on my 2nd account. About half way there primo wise.

Last edited:
This patch has a lot of content, it's pretty impressive considering Sumeru is up next. I welcome more complex puzzles and challenges, but a limited event probably wasn't the best time to introduce those. 6 weeks to complete everything is a decent amount of time, but I never expected the event to be this extensive. There's the story, then going back to those domains to get new chests, exploring the islands, changing their shape, several side quests, collecting the conches... It's a lot. I've been using videos to collect everything efficiently since there's not much time left. My plan to do most of the exploring in the second half has backfired on me.

It's a shame it will all be gone in a bit. I hope they learn the right lessons from this, and not just give up on making cool events like this. My only gripe is that, again, important characters are introduced during a limited event which new players won't get to experience. It's not as bad as Scaramouche, but it feels like it could still be kinda important to the story.

Pejo

No constellation in the torch puzzle (that I could see). Hilichurl torches. Part of it involves breaking boulders to reveal a small water source but I don't see any hint.

It's bugging me that there is no hint.

Not sure if that puzzle you mentioned was earlier in the same path or not.

With the rumored Zhongli rerun banner on the horizon, I completed the summer event on both of my accounts trying to get enough to try a 50/50 pity on my 2nd account. About half way there primo wise.
Ohhh that one. It was all about the reflection. Breaking that wall allows a trickle of water in which shows several torches lit in the reflection. You had to light only the torches that were "lit" in the reflection in the puddle. That whole puzzle line was about reflections, up to and including that room.
This patch has a lot of content, it's pretty impressive considering Sumeru is up next. I welcome more complex puzzles and challenges, but a limited event probably wasn't the best time to introduce those. 6 weeks to complete everything is a decent amount of time, but I never expected the event to be this extensive. There's the story, then going back to those domains to get new chests, exploring the islands, changing their shape, several side quests, collecting the conches... It's a lot. I've been using videos to collect everything efficiently since there's not much time left. My plan to do most of the exploring in the second half has backfired on me.

It's a shame it will all be gone in a bit. I hope they learn the right lessons from this, and not just give up on making cool events like this. My only gripe is that, again, important characters are introduced during a limited event which new players won't get to experience. It's not as bad as Scaramouche, but it feels like it could still be kinda important to the story.
I hope the puzzles stay difficult and unique. Mona's dungeon was the most fun I had using my brain in this game to date. I could do without all the iterative stuff though. Things like "configure this set of islands into 6 different configurations and find all the missing stuff each time you do it." It just makes everything feel like a chore instead of a puzzle.

Mona Island is hated by the community at large, but I loved everything about it, outside of the iterative stuff - like "find the puzzle that makes this chest open by turning the island to ice for fog and then running around and looking everywhere, then do it again for rain etc." Her domain was the hardest collection of puzzles we've ever had. I loved that part. The visuals were fantastic too.

ooGi8Nw.png

Fake

Gold Member
This game is getting boring again... What will be the next event before Sumeru?

Will be hard not wasting my wish in 3.0, but with luck Nilou banner could save the day. I really hope don't turn into 15k Chield banner sittuation.

edit: The other thing. None of Sumeru prototype weapons seens worthy? IDK, maybe the bow, but again is very strange and maybe similar to the bow you got in the Venti event?

And if this 80% end becoming true I kinda gonna give the anchor dendro a try.

Last edited:

Pejo

This game is getting boring again... What will be the next event before Sumeru?

Will be hard not wasting my wish in 3.0, but with luck Nilou banner could save the day. I really hope don't turn into 15k Chield banner sittuation.

edit: The other thing. None of Sumeru prototype weapons seens worthy? IDK, maybe the bow, but again is very strange and maybe similar to the bow you got in the Venti event?

And if this 80% end becoming true I kinda gonna give the anchor dendro a try.
I don't think there's anything left before Sumeru. Maybe Liben or a double leylines thing, but I think this is pretty much it. When the Archipelago stuff ends, we're in Sumeru.

Careful rolling on 3.0 banners, there's a high chance that all the characters end up in the Standard banner, including Tighnari. 3.1 (as of now) is supposedly both Cyno and Nilou, and they're likely going to change the rerun banner schedule again at the anniversary (again, according to leaks, so who knows). My next targets are Collei, then Dehya, Candace, Kusanali and Al Haitham. I've been in save mode for a while, so as long as I get Collei in some manner (either free or by rolling), I'm all set for some of the Sumeru characters.

I dunno why, but Nilou has done absolutely nothing for me. Maybe it's her soft-censored design with the safety shorts and overly covered top, or maybe that she can't be used as main dps, or that her whole kit is supposedly centered around Dendro reactions only, but I feel pre-emptively disappointed in her. If they were going to center a character around a single reaction, she should have been a 4*.

Fake

Gold Member
I don't think there's anything left before Sumeru. Maybe Liben or a double leylines thing, but I think this is pretty much it. When the Archipelago stuff ends, we're in Sumeru.

Careful rolling on 3.0 banners, there's a high chance that all the characters end up in the Standard banner, including Tighnari. 3.1 (as of now) is supposedly both Cyno and Nilou, and they're likely going to change the rerun banner schedule again at the anniversary (again, according to leaks, so who knows). My next targets are Collei, then Dehya, Candace, Kusanali and Al Haitham. I've been in save mode for a while, so as long as I get Collei in some manner (either free or by rolling), I'm all set for some of the Sumeru characters.

I dunno why, but Nilou has done absolutely nothing for me. Maybe it's her soft-censored design with the safety shorts and overly covered top, or maybe that she can't be used as main dps, or that her whole kit is supposedly centered around Dendro reactions only, but I feel pre-emptively disappointed in her. If they were going to center a character around a single reaction, she should have been a 4*.

I was talking with my brother the same. Probably end up leyline double, maybe materials dungeon double.

Can't say much about Nilou, I kinda like her design as a dancer, but I need more and more until the end. 3.0 beta will end in day 10, so I gonna look foward the 3.1 beta. For me at least, if they reduce her stars to 4* would end up great. I not particulary 5* hunter, the 5* need to have a very attractive kit. Thats 'why' the Dendro anchor 80% attack speed is getting my attention.

Still missing the silver hair dendro dude as well. This is a dendro I looking foward too because if I would guess he look like a Diluc badboy 'like' material.

Last edited:

crumbs

As this patch winds down, I've been trying to get a handle on my artifact inventory. There's got to be a better way to deal with junk 5 star artifacts as I'm at about 1100/1500, and that's after a lot fed into the strongbox mechanic. I know there's more options coming for the artifact strong boxes, but I do wish there was a quicker way to either convert them to mora or artifact EXP. Or even let you convert them after you finish a domain or boss.

Mona Island is hated by the community at large, but I loved everything about it, outside of the iterative stuff - like "find the puzzle that makes this chest open by turning the island to ice for fog and then running around and looking everywhere, then do it again for rain etc." Her domain was the hardest collection of puzzles we've ever had. I loved that part. The visuals were fantastic too.

100% agree with this. There was a lot of content in this patch, but much of it felt padded out due to the need to explore slightly different versions of the same islands multiple times. In terms of the islands and domains: Mona's was enjoyable, Kazuha and Xinyan's were fine but forgettable, and Fischl's was just awful, makes you wonder what the devs were thinking.

Last edited:

deanote666

As this patch winds down, I've been trying to get a handle on my artifact inventory. There's got to be a better way to deal with junk 5 star artifacts as I'm at about 1100/1500, and that's after a lot with the strongbox mechanic. I know there's more options coming for the artifact strong boxes, but I do wish there was a quicker way to either convert them to mora or artifact EXP. Or even let you convert them after you finish a domain or boss.

100% agree with this. There was a lot of content in this patch, but much of it felt padded out due to the need to explore slightly different versions of the same islands multiple times. In terms of the islands and domains: Mona's was enjoyable, Kazuha and Xinyan's were fine but forgettable, and Fischl's was just awful, makes you wonder what the devs were thinking.
I think I'm at about 1300+ 5* artifacts.

Still have a bunch of characters that don't have a load out yet so I'm reluctant to get rid of a bunch of them.

Fischl's Island, I just used a guide for the "puzzles". Wasn't worth listening to the raven statues. The wannabe knight raven statue was funny though.

I like puzzles where you can figure them out with what they give you. Some of the Mona island puzzles were just too out there, like the chest unlock with the ice totem.

What puzzles require you to have the water totem/rain active?

I did find the "hint" for the wall symbol puzzle where you turn the symbols on/off though. Mona's future/regular island, use the ameno totem for the wind and the solution is on the wall further up but only lights up when you're at the right level.

The torch puzzle on the east side where you only light 2 has a "hint" on the future/regular version where 2 of the torches are upside down, not sure how that's a good hint though.

Thanks Pejo Pejo for the other solution

Last edited:

Pejo

Here we go fellas, Genshin Killer #1 releases in 20 mins, give or take.

I'm gonna try it out, we'll see how it is.

*edit*

Whoops, it's 20 hours, not 20 mins. Apparently there's a character creation you can do ahead of time, but the launcher is fucked and won't display correctly on my 4K tv, so I can't get to the button to launch the character creator.

Oh yea, it's gonna be THAT kind of game.

*edit2*

Laugh Reaction GIF by The Comedy Bar

Last edited:

crumbs

Here we go fellas, Genshin Killer #1 releases in 20 mins, give or take.

I'm gonna try it out, we'll see how it is.

[/URL]

*edit*

Whoops, it's 20 hours, not 20 mins. Apparently there's a character creation you can do ahead of time, but the launcher is fucked and won't display correctly on my 4K tv, so I can't get to the button to launch the character creator.

Oh yea, it's gonna be THAT kind of game.

*edit2*

Laugh Reaction GIF by The Comedy Bar

Watching that comparison video makes you really appreciate the animation quality in Genshin.

Pejo

Watching that comparison video makes you really appreciate the animation quality in Genshin.
Granted they're not working with nearly the budget and dev time and experience that MHY had, but yea you can easily see the extra love put into genshin just in animation alone. I don't plan on sticking with ToF for very long but I'm at least intrigued enough to see how it plays. Apparently they do instanced worlds, so in certain parts you'll see everybody else's Donut Steel the Hedgehog OC running around. It leans a bit more into MMO territory than just live service game.

*edit*

Here's a preview of the gacha characters at launch. It doesn't look as bad in this video as it did in the other one.

Last edited:

Pejo

Estimates are that we're getting the 3.0 special program this weekend, probably the 13th (Sat) since the 12th is a CN Holiday.

Granted they're not working with nearly the budget and dev time and experience that MHY had, but yea you can easily see the extra love put into genshin just in animation alone. I don't plan on sticking with ToF for very long but I'm at least intrigued enough to see how it plays. Apparently they do instanced worlds, so in certain parts you'll see everybody else's Donut Steel the Hedgehog OC running around. It leans a bit more into MMO territory than just live service game.

*edit*

Here's a preview of the gacha characters at launch. It doesn't look as bad in this video as it did in the other one.

I hope this makes GI implement air combos as well.

Pejo

I hope this makes GI implement air combos as well.
Honkai is just now buliding characters with the third axis enabled, and it's nearing version 6.0. I wouldn't get too excited for that just yet (but I agree wholeheartedly).

*edit*

Official Amber birthday art. In her censored costume.
FZxKC3WVUAAG_6C.jpg

Last edited:

BJK

I think I'm at about 1300+ 5* artifacts.

Still have a bunch of characters that don't have a load out yet so I'm reluctant to get rid of a bunch of them.

You do you, but I have a stockpile of artifacts that miss the primary stats I look to build (Crit Rate, Crit Damage, Attack %, Energy Recharge, Elemental Mastery, and physical or elemental damage on goblets). If I see two or more “stoppers” that could waste growth of the main stats, that piece is food for my better artifacts.

There are so few characters who scale with HP or Defense that there’s very little FOMO with bad artifacts.

Pejo

You do you, but I have a stockpile of artifacts that miss the primary stats I look to build (Crit Rate, Crit Damage, Attack %, Energy Recharge, Elemental Mastery, and physical or elemental damage on goblets). If I see two or more “stoppers” that could waste growth of the main stats, that piece is food for my better artifacts.

There are so few characters who scale with HP or Defense that there’s very little FOMO with bad artifacts.
Keep in mind, in 3.0 we're getting the addition of additional lockboxes, so you will be able to trade in your old shitty 5* artifacts towards random artifacts from specific sets. Right now you can only do it for Gladiator/Wanderer's, maybe another 1 or 2, but in 3.0 they're adding most of the other sets into that system.

That's why a lot of players are saving their shitty 5* artifacts (for now).

3.0 will also allow us to obtain dendro dmg bonus cups, so if you're planning on getting Tighnari or Collei that might be another reason to hold onto your trash artifacts and then convert them.

crumbs

For Strongboxes, you can currently do:

-Gladiator Finale
-Wanderers Troupe
-Noblesse
-Bloodstained

Rumors are they're adding the following for 3.0:

-Thundering Fury
-Thundersoother
-Viridescent Venerer
-Maiden Beloved
-Archaic Petra
-Retracing Bolide
-Crimson Witch of Flames
-Lavawalker
-Blizzard Strayer
-Heart of Depth

I'd be pretty surprised if they added all of these, but I guess we'll find out soon.

Last edited:

Pejo

For Strongboxes, you can currently do:

-Gladiator Finale
-Wanderers Troupe
-Noblesse
-Bloodstained

Rumors are they're adding the following for 3.0:

-Thundering Fury
-Thundersoother
-Viridescent Venerer
-Maiden Beloved
-Archaic Petra
-Retracing Bolide
-Crimson Witch of Flames
-Lavawalker
-Blizzard Strayer
-Heart of Depth

I'd be pretty surprised if they added all of these, but I guess we'll find out soon.
I'll tell you this, I would NEVER run another VV or Crimson Witch domain in my life if this list is accurate, or even if those two specifically are on the list. The rest mostly have sets that are useful to SOMEONE, but man - Lavawalker and Maiden's Beloved are just so god damn awful compared to other available sets. I guess the Thundersoother one is pretty bad too, but I don't use those artifacts on any character right now.

crumbs

I'll tell you this, I would NEVER run another VV or Crimson Witch domain in my life if this list is accurate, or even if those two specifically are on the list. The rest mostly have sets that are useful to SOMEONE, but man - Lavawalker and Maiden's Beloved are just so god damn awful compared to other available sets. I guess the Thundersoother one is pretty bad too, but I don't use those artifacts on any character right now.

Agreed. It makes sense to add these artifacts since the Strongboxes are meant for longtime players that have a surplus of 5 star artifacts to convert. These types of players have probably already farmed the domains to point of irritation. Hopefully over the next year, they'll add Inazuma artifact domains as well.

I won't miss the Crimson Witch domain, or any domain that has multiple waves of enemies. At least the VV domain has all the enemies at the start so it's fast to complete if you have a CC character, I've used it a lot for testing teams comps. I won't miss the Maiden artifacts though :messenger_neutral:

Pejo

I won't miss the Crimson Witch domain, or any domain that has multiple waves of enemies. At least the VV domain has all the enemies at the start so it's fast to complete if you have a CC character, I've used it a lot for testing teams comps. I won't miss the Maiden artifacts though :messenger_neutral:
That's fair, I always run these domains with gimped teams that I'm farming friendship on. I'm sure I could make it easier on myself if I actually used good teams. They're over so fast, it doesn't really matter anyways. It's not the fighting that bothers me (other than that cryo talent domain), it's just the soulcrushing artifact farming process.

crumbs

That's fair, I always run these domains with gimped teams that I'm farming friendship on. I'm sure I could make it easier on myself if I actually used good teams. They're over so fast, it doesn't really matter anyways. It's not the fighting that bothers me (other than that cryo talent domain), it's just the soulcrushing artifact farming process.
That makes sense. I haven't even been bothering with domains or world bosses lately because:

1. I don't need artifacts for any of my built-up characters. I also don't want to go down the min/max artifact rabbit hole.
2. I have at least 46 of every world boss materials. Plus all the Sumeru characters will be using new boss materials anyway.

I've mostly been doing EXP and mora blossoms, which also give friendship XP for the last few characters I need to max out. I figure that banking plenty of mora and EXP books is safe way to spend resin, even if it might not be the most efficient.

Saber

I'm willing to guess that once Sumeru lands, the drop rate of good artifacts will go up again.
There would be no reason to even waste time farming artifacts now. One could even do better using the stock of old ones that its just so-so instead of receiving another spam wave of HP/DEF artifacts. Even if it doesn't end up like crumbs crumbs suggested, they need to work harder to make me feel interested in this boring mundane artifact farming again.

Last edited:

Pejo

So I put a good 4 hours into Tower of Fantasy tonight. It's actually not so bad. There's an obvious huge gap in quality of stuff like animations, world design, etc, but the combat I might actually like a little better. You can do some Bayonetta-esque stuff with juggles, time stops, etc. The character system is either weird or I'm just not understanding it yet. I pulled a few 4* characters, but they only seem to be good for their weapon, which can be equipped on to any character (I've just been using my donut steel OC character). So the characters you pull for are just there for show? Maybe the 5*s have different effects or something.

Anyways, the exploration is ok. They have a jetpack you can use with a cooldown to do mega jumps, which really helps for vertical exploration. I hear there's also a vehicle/mount you can unlock, but I haven't done it yet. I'm still in the early game, who knows how long until I get sick of it, but better than I was expecting anyways. The interaction with other characters has been minimal despite the servers being slammed, so I can only assume that the world is heavily instanced. I only saw 1-2 other players at a time, usually around this game's version of 'domains' which are more like WoW dungeons that you can solo or co-op. Unfortunately, there seems to be a world chat that you can't opt out of, which has been annoying.
Also, it doesn't seem that the game supports Dualsense, so I've been playing with M+KB. It hasn't been bad, but I like playing with controllers in action combat games. I might dig out a DS4 tomorrow and see if that works.

Verdict is - the game is free, the combat is good, the rest is serviceable. It's not a Genshin killer, but it almost feels like if Genshin and an MMO had a baby and it came out with Borderlands shaders. Give it a shot if you're bored waiting for Sumeru.

Dregnel

Those characters look MUCH more interesting in this short.

By the way, I am giving Tower of Fantasy a go.
DIO-PORCO.jpg

DIO-BASTARDO.jpg

DIO-BESTIA.jpg
lboXq.png
Fighting game players asked for rollback for their games and most companies have already adapted their services, if mmo players started asking for cross-servers exactly like pearl abyss did with black desert, these things wouldn't happen as often but most of them are too dumb.
MMORPG are games that were left in the past to current problems and it is because of the desire to get money to sell you even the most basic services.

Dregnel

So I put a good 4 hours into Tower of Fantasy tonight. It's actually not so bad. There's an obvious huge gap in quality of stuff like animations, world design, etc, but the combat I might actually like a little better. You can do some Bayonetta-esque stuff with juggles, time stops, etc. The character system is either weird or I'm just not understanding it yet. I pulled a few 4* characters, but they only seem to be good for their weapon, which can be equipped on to any character (I've just been using my donut steel OC character). So the characters you pull for are just there for show? Maybe the 5*s have different effects or something.

Anyways, the exploration is ok. They have a jetpack you can use with a cooldown to do mega jumps, which really helps for vertical exploration. I hear there's also a vehicle/mount you can unlock, but I haven't done it yet. I'm still in the early game, who knows how long until I get sick of it, but better than I was expecting anyways. The interaction with other characters has been minimal despite the servers being slammed, so I can only assume that the world is heavily instanced. I only saw 1-2 other players at a time, usually around this game's version of 'domains' which are more like WoW dungeons that you can solo or co-op. Unfortunately, there seems to be a world chat that you can't opt out of, which has been annoying.
Also, it doesn't seem that the game supports Dualsense, so I've been playing with M+KB. It hasn't been bad, but I like playing with controllers in action combat games. I might dig out a DS4 tomorrow and see if that works.

Verdict is - the game is free, the combat is good, the rest is serviceable. It's not a Genshin killer, but it almost feels like if Genshin and an MMO had a baby and it came out with Borderlands shaders. Give it a shot if you're bored waiting for Sumeru.
I've only played an hour and it feels more rewarding than playing genshin for a month, shit you can find gacha pulls on trees...
some janky animations here and there but the game is better in many other things.

Last edited:

deanote666

Those characters look MUCH more interesting in this short.

By the way, I am giving Tower of Fantasy a go.
DIO-PORCO.jpg
lboXq.png

Funny thing is I had an almost identical error installing an unrelated program yesterday. Install the latest windows updates and trying again fixed it for me.

I've only played an hour and it feels more rewarding than playing genshin for a month, shit you can find gacha pulls on trees...
some janky animations here and there but the game is better in many other things.
Don't forget that you're in the honeymoon stage where there's tons of content and freebees everywhere but that might eventually run out.

Fuz

Banned
Funny thing is I had an almost identical error installing an unrelated program yesterday. Install the latest windows updates and trying again fixed it for me.
It randomly works. Now it's only 10 hours queue and I'm in!

But I got ALL sort of bugs. My avast actually deleted the .exe and other parts of the game installation yesterday, so I had to uninstall and reinstall 22gb from scratch - and add an exception on avast, which isn't something that makes me happy.
But the worst one...
Rebinding the keys? Sure. Oh you want to use "E" for forward? No, fuck you. It was assigned to another action, doesn't matter if you changed it.
I'm just logging to see it a bit, but I can not play without my bindings.

Say what you want about shitty mihoyo, but their stuff WORKS.

So, exactly the first hours on Genshin.

Last edited:

Pejo

Oh man.

Ok, where do we rant about ToF?
Go for it, there's nothing in Genshin worth talking about unless you want to write an essay on why you're excited for the Mechanical Painting event. I'm curious what you guys think.

They literally drown you in gacha currency. I thought the purple stones were just for weapon upgrade mats and stuff, kinda like a junk gacha, but then last night I rolled both an SSR and an SR character in a purple stone 10x roll. There's also a hidden 30 pity to get an SSR for the first run of the orange stone banner, and unlike Genshin, they don't reset pity if you pull a max rarity character before the pity, so every 80 pulls you guarantee an SSR regardless of if you get lucky or not.

Also, according to CN players, after a few months and a few reruns, the limited characters get added to the standard banners, which is pretty cool. The downside, after some research, is that the characters are fuck all other than a character skin like in Fartnite. Since you make your own character at the start of the game anyways, it feels like the characters mean absolutely nothing. They have 2 weak passives per character that you can unlock by shoving gifts in their mouths for weeks on end, but they're hilariously useless perks so far, like "extra 100 hp healed every time you receive a heal" when at level 18 I'm already at 7000 HP, and the max level is 80. At that point, you probably have up to 100k HP, and the extra 100hp tick seems absolutely hilariously stupid.

I unlocked the vehicle. It's very "MMO mount"-ish, there's no animation, it just spawns underneath you and then disappears if you take any action other than move or jump. It gives a boost to movement speed though, as advertised, so it makes getting around a little faster. I like that unlike Genshin, the fast travel spots are fewer and further apart, so you actually have to spend some time traversing the world. There are a ton of respawning chests, so it's semi-worthwhile to keep your eyes open even after you've cleared an area.

The story has been very "it's here because we have to have one". I don't care about any of the characters, and they're just making shit up as you move through it, it has no weight, and truthfully your character seems to have no purpose other than to just do whatever people ask him to do. Again, very much like an MMO.

Apparently there's PVP, but I won't be touching that.

Fuz

Banned
Man, the people in the ToF subreddit are even more retarded than the morons in Genshin's subreddit.

How can that be fucking possible?

Fake

Gold Member
Man, the people in the ToF subreddit are even more retarded than the morons in Genshin's subreddit.

How can that be fucking possible?

If you want more possibilities, check out the Twitter talking about GI and ToF. You gonna be even more surprise.
I used to check some Pokemon leaks and I always remember that Pokemon fanbase, Sonic fanbase... almost every fanbase have like 80% retardeds talking shit over shit. Want a taste? Smogon user get upvote, calling Pokemon Company homophobic and racist for not making a Jynx evolution.
BTW, you're checking the subreddit, so is kinda expected.

Last edited:

Pejo

Whoops, I had to actually spend resin on crafting those upgrade crystals because I forgot log in and my resin was maxed at 160 for who knows how long. Ended up logging in on my phone during a meeting and taking care of it that way.

I've been having a ton of fun in ToF. It reminds me of old MMOs, which was a feeling I didn't realize I missed until now. The fact that they have instanced world bosses and 4 man dungeons just scratched an itch for me. Genshin really should implement stuff like that. I hope this game drives them to look at missing features in their own game. The jank in ToF is actually kinda fun in its own way for me too. I think if you were a 2010 MMO player, this game is bursting at the seems with nostalgia for that type of experience. I spent 40 mins last night climbing (and falling from) that huge tower in the center of the Hyphos place, and I'll be damned if there wasn't a chest up at the very top. It gave nothing but an avatar frame, but still it's pretty cool that they put shit in there for losers like me that will waste time just to see if they can make it. At first I hated the fact that characters you pulled were essentially just skins, but the longer I play, the more I like it. Imagine not being locked to put Xingqiu in your party to use his skills in Genshin. The Relics are a cool idea too. Just random gadgets that have all sorts of uses ranging from combat to platforming to literal surfing on water. Certainly more fun and universal than Genshin's "here's a spyglass that you can look at statues through"

Strictly F2P, I must have rolled like 300-400 times total already, it's insane that treasure chests each contain a gacha pull. I got 6 SSR drops already, two of which were dupes. I'm wondering at what point the honeymoon period drops off and there's nothing to do. It seems like they have rotating respawning chests, so as long as you want to put in the time to go back through old areas, you'll always find some pulls in there. There's HEAVY time gating though, which a lot of people are complaining about. I'm fine with not maxing out to 80 in a single day though. I don't feel like I need to struggle to keep up with people.

The biggest detractors for ToF is that every type of cooldown is just too long. Cooldown for skills, cooldown for swapping weapons, cooldown for using relics, cooldown for chests, etc etc etc. At least the basic combat is much more dynamic than Genshin's just by having that third axis and the ability to string multiple weapons together in a combo. Like I can use a sword to combo an enemy, hold the button to launch him, swap to pistols, aim and air juggle him, into a skill that creates a dome and bounces him around, then finish him with a big jumping hammer strike down to the ground. My personal favorite weapon so far is a shield that morphs into a 2H axe. Apparently in the future there's a guy that looks like Chris Redfield that gets into a mecha as his skill. Each form has a completely different moveset. Good shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom