• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 5.0 (Natlan) - Everything Changed When the Fire Nation Arrived

Yeah I meant the new ones.
4.0 will start off with Lyney as the new 5-star. The rest will be reruns.
Beyond that is not yet certain, but a lot of new character designs for Fontaine have leaked, so you can search them online.

The new archon is named Focalors and she looks like this:
Genshin-Impact-Focalors-1-580x334.jpg

New abyss was much easier and more fun than the last one
Finished it in one try, definitely a lot easier than the previous ones.

How do you guys feel about the summer event by the way? I don't like the theme park setting as much, and don't think the theming was that well thought out. There's some candy and lollipops around but that seems to be about it. The area feels smaller and there's not as much to do. I greatly appreciate how they have a sort of treasure compass now that allows you to find all treasures and challenges easily though. Still, I hope they do something different next year.

SSfox

How do you guys feel about the summer event by the way? I don't like the theme park setting as much, and don't think the theming was that well thought out. There's some candy and lollipops around but that seems to be about it. The area feels smaller and there's not as much to do. I greatly appreciate how they have a sort of treasure compass now that allows you to find all treasures and challenges easily though. Still, I hope they do something different next year.
Haven't done much yet but it's fun once the dialogues end, as usual.

Still have stuffs to do in the game, few quests and last desert area. Of I have time I'll try to do some before Fontaine.

Fuz

Banned

I liked the islands more.
The map is annoying to navigate, feels disjointed and not realistic, and I'm really worried for Fontaine.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
What's this Stellar Reunion event?

When I dropped the game I remember it was still on. Skip 3-4 months and it's still here.

crumbs

What's this Stellar Reunion event?

When I dropped the game I remember it was still on. Skip 3-4 months and it's still here.
It's an event that triggers when you haven't logged into the game for several weeks.

Edit: Here's the conditions:

• AR 10 or above; and
  • It has been at least 14 days since last game login; and
  • It has been over 45 days since last activating a prior Stellar Reunion event.

Last edited:

Pejo

The overall theme feels very juvenile. I know they've shifted more towards mainstream audiences a lot over the past year, but this is the first time I felt like I was playing a game for literal children. Between the stupid "I honestly can't even be bothered to give a single shit about this" NPC storylines, to the ultra-simplistic puzzles and gameplay, this was probably my least favorite main event yet. Primos and prizes were good and plentiful this time, and the treasure compass was great for making sure you got everything since it will be a limited-time area. The roller coaster shooter games were the one thing I enjoyed, but even then it was so damn easy, there was never any real excitement. The area was just Sumeru with cat ear boxes and candy canes littered about, which is intrinsically less interesting than a tropical island theme, to me at least. The costumes were actually a step up from the usual shlock they give us, but they're both for characters I don't play and don't give a crap about.

I hate every second that Klee is on screen, but she wasn't AS prominent as I was fearing when I saw the original leaks. The cast included a lot of characters I actually enjoy, but somehow the story was so forgettable that I can't really say I remember much of what they did other than find some junk and fix that projector. I enjoyed Idiya quite a bit, it was nice to see some type of characterization other than "I work so hard and I'm so tired but I gotta work hard".

Islands were 100x better, in my opinion. They also never had any big surprise moments like at the end of Mona's dungeon when you climb up into the sky, which honestly surprised me. I guess they expected that ghetto as fuck ferris wheel to impress us.

I got a laugh out of this:

Pejo

Mihoyo is really focusing on Star rail and slowly leaving Genshin isn't it?
Nah, Star Rail started off pretty good but it's had a 2 patch content drought now and has been bleeding players. They haven't released a single bit of story since the game launched in April, just filler events and "double leyline" type crap. Frankly with as much money as the game made, I have no idea how the fuck they haven't done anything with it. It's so much more simple in design than Genshin.

If anything, I think they're working on Genshin 4.0 and beyond. I wonder if general audiences are going to gobble up the braindead puzzles and awful character designs like they expect everybody to. I really want to see the Lyney banner fail spectacularly to send a message, but after perusing reddit for ~5 minutes, I don't feel like it will bomb.

The overall theme feels very juvenile. I know they've shifted more towards mainstream audiences a lot over the past year, but this is the first time I felt like I was playing a game for literal children. Between the stupid "I honestly can't even be bothered to give a single shit about this" NPC storylines, to the ultra-simplistic puzzles and gameplay, this was probably my least favorite main event yet.
That's a good word to describe it. The story feels very disjointed and aimless. When Klee got sad looking at the three brothers argue, I thought it was gonna address how she might feel sad and lonely being away from her mom constantly, and how those three should be grateful they at least have each other, but it was just a random scene without purpose.. There's no reason for most of these characters to be here and they hardly do anything. There's no overarching theme to tie things together.

Islands were 100x better, in my opinion. They also never had any big surprise moments like at the end of Mona's dungeon when you climb up into the sky, which honestly surprised me. I guess they expected that ghetto as fuck ferris wheel to impress us.
I also liked how the islands introduced the next region as a sort of preview. The first Golden Apple Archipelago had a bunch of references to Inazuma and you could even fight Maguu Kenki early. The second one introduced Sumeru's archon quite well. I didn't see much of a connection with Fontaine for this one.

Pejo

That's a good word to describe it. The story feels very disjointed and aimless. When Klee got sad looking at the three brothers argue, I thought it was gonna address how she might feel sad and lonely being away from her mom constantly, and how those three should be grateful they at least have each other, but it was just a random scene without purpose.. There's no reason for most of these characters to be here and they hardly do anything. There's no overarching theme to tie things together.
Yea, the NPCs just being single-aspect hydro eidolon copies of the actual people probably didn't help. But there was no tie-in, no moral of the story etc. That whole play about the bandit was stupid too, what was the message supposed to be with that? Just uninspired. Another case of us wasting a ton of time helping NPCs out, but this time they weren't even real NPCs with any real problems.

I thought the little side story with the Fatui group being friends/family in the islands was more poignant and interesting than the entire arc of this patch's story.
I also liked how the islands introduced the next region as a sort of preview. The first Golden Apple Archipelago had a bunch of references to Inazuma and you could even fight Maguu Kenki early. The second one introduced Sumeru's archon quite well. I didn't see much of a connection with Fontaine for this one.
I think they still did this to some degree. I am willing to bet the railways will make a comeback, and I've personally been guessing for some time now that the Sorush gameplay is likely for some kind of Fontaine vehicle, whether underwater or in the sky, like in this event with the ring race. But yea, nothing so obvious as the islands.

Sakura

Nah, Star Rail started off pretty good but it's had a 2 patch content drought now and has been bleeding players. They haven't released a single bit of story since the game launched in April, just filler events and "double leyline" type crap. Frankly with as much money as the game made, I have no idea how the fuck they haven't done anything with it. It's so much more simple in design than Genshin.

If anything, I think they're working on Genshin 4.0 and beyond. I wonder if general audiences are going to gobble up the braindead puzzles and awful character designs like they expect everybody to. I really want to see the Lyney banner fail spectacularly to send a message, but after perusing reddit for ~5 minutes, I don't feel like it will bomb.
2 patch content drought? Isn't the second patch (1.2) releasing tomorrow, and contains more story? Or am I confused

Pejo

2 patch content drought? Isn't the second patch (1.2) releasing tomorrow, and contains more story? Or am I confused
Huh, I guess you're right. It has just felt like a long ass time since there was any meaningful content released.

I thought the summer Genshin event was nice for all the rewards, but since it’s not main story content and time limited I just mashed through all the text. Don’t have time to be listening to this, especially as it’s side content and it did indeed seem a bit juvenile.

I also have been playing Star Rail, which I think is an amazing game and has so much potential. It’s honestly the best “jrpg” I’ve played in years. Love the cast, the story, the presentation. I started it about a week after started Genshin and now play them both. I’ve heard from various people to not rush through Star Rail since it’s relatively new and hasn’t built up much content, so I’m taking my time with that one. Mihoyo owns nearly all my gaming time these days.

But in a head to head battle I would still pick Genshin over Star Rail. Even tho SR has the edge in story, Genshin has just about everything else and the sense of adventure and ability to freely explore is a huge plus for me.

Speaking of Star Rail, does that not have its own OT? Also is there a general Mihoyo thread, or do people just use this thread to discuss everything.

Last edited:

Pejo

Speaking of Star Rail, does that not have its own OT? Also is there a general Mihoyo thread, or do people just use this thread to discuss everything.
GAF is mostly against gacha games, so you'll find very few people here that want to talk about it. Even this thread for the most popular and profitable game of the past 3~ years only has ~10 frequent posters. We just kinda use this thread for discussing various even loosely related games, like Honkai Star Rail, Honkai Impact 3, and even games from a similar genre like Tower of Fantasy and Wuthering Waves. Feel free to discuss whatever.

GAF is mostly against gacha games, so you'll find very few people here that want to talk about it. Even this thread for the most popular and profitable game of the past 3~ years only has ~10 frequent posters. We just kinda use this thread for discussing various even loosely related games, like Honkai Star Rail, Honkai Impact 3, and even games from a similar genre like Tower of Fantasy and Wuthering Waves. Feel free to discuss whatever.
That’s so funny to me, for a site filled with “gamers” to blindly hate on a game is hilarious.

It’s doesn’t matter if a game is mobile, or f2p, or $70, or $50, or on PC, or Xbox, or PlayStation, LITERALLY the only thing that should matter is if the game is good.

And as long as you can finish the main story of a gacha game and do most of the content with the provided characters, no should be complaining at all. Imagine if it was the exact same game and only had the starter characters and no gacha, it would function mostly the same, would those haters all of a sudden love it because they can’t put extra money into it? I’ll never understand some humans.

Games and gameplay are king. And Genshin (among others) are legitimately great games.

Also speaking of Tower of Fantasy, I really want to play that but tried it a few months back on mobile, but it’s hard to play action games on a glass screen, waiting for the PS5 release this August. Will 100% be checking it out. Should play much much better with a controller. I know it’s on PC already, but I prefer playing games on my console is I have the choice. When star Rail eventually gets a PS5 version I will likely switch over if there’s a way to.

Pejo

That’s so funny to me, for a site filled with “gamers” to blindly hate on a game is hilarious.

It’s doesn’t matter if a game is mobile, or f2p, or $70, or $50, or on PC, or Xbox, or PlayStation, LITERALLY the only thing that should matter is if the game is good.

And as long as you can finish the main story of a gacha game and do most of the content with the provided characters, no should be complaining at all. Imagine if it was the exact same game and only had the starter characters and no gacha, it would function mostly the same, would those haters all of a sudden love it because they can’t put extra money into it? I’ll never understand some humans.

Games and gameplay are king. And Genshin (among others) are legitimately great games.

Also speaking of Tower of Fantasy, I really want to play that but tried it a few months back on mobile, but it’s hard to play action games on a glass screen, waiting for the PS5 release this August. Will 100% be checking it out. Should play much much better with a controller. I know it’s on PC already, but I prefer playing games on my console is I have the choice. When star Rail eventually gets a PS5 version I will likely switch over if there’s a way to.
I'm sure Fuz Fuz will chime in, but I dropped ToF after a few months with it. Just so greedy. Unlike MHY games, every ounce of content in that game felt like it was made to try to drain money from you. Plus all the bugs, poor performance, lag, awful modes and bosses, and the absolute shitshows for events. I liked the character designs quite a bit, but the game really puts the screws to you if you're F2P or even just a light spender. They don't just want some money, they want ALL of the money.

Sakura

There are a lot of bad gacha games out there for sure just designed to take all your money. But typically they aren't very successful or don't last very long. The good games make a lot of money, because people actually enjoy playing them. A lot of people are missing out on some great games because they refuse to play gacha games. Some of my favourite games over the past few years have been gacha games, and I spend barely any money on them.
If you can't control yourself from spending hundreds of dollars on every banner, than yeah maybe you shouldn't play these kind of games, but otherwise it is too bad some people write off these games.

Pejo

So leakers wrote up an explanation on Pneuma/Ousia mechanics. There's some good news and some bad news. Good news - it's only a handful of encounters and enemies that you have to deal with it (for now). Bad news - it sounds even fucking worse than just color coded shields like I was fearing. Here's the guide, I'll let you guys read it and form your own opinions. Spoiler - I fucking hate the sound of it.

Ousia/Pneuma Mechanics 101
by: @homdgcat
translated by me
These are the properties contained in the life-forms, earth, air and watery veins of Fontaine. The collision between energies of different properties causes negation and the production of greater energies. 1

After Fontaine characters release certain skills, there'll be a follow-up attack with Ousia/Pneuma properties

This attack doesn't apply an element, and has a trigger CD

• Lyney: Pneuma, Lv2 CA trigger, 6s CD
  • HMC: Pneuma, E trigger, 9s CD
  • Fréminet: Pneuma, E trigger, 9s CD
  • Lynette: Ousia, E trigger, 10s CD
In the overworld there exist Ousia/Pneuma elemental blocks, that allow any character to deal a singe Ousia/Pneuma attack upon pickup. No need to worry about puzzle-solving with old characters.

Which enemies or items are relevant to Ousia/Pneuma?
1. Ousia/Pneuma Nodes
Shows up in the overworld and Abyss (by tradition, they'll appear in both halves of 9-3 for the whole year in Fontaine).

Has either one of Ousia/Pneuma affiliations, and one of Pyro/Hydro/Cryo/Electro elements, meaning 8 combinations are possible (eg. Ousia Hydro, Pneuma Pyro etc)

1s after the challenge begins, it'll add 3U of elemental amplification to all enemies, and once again every 15s after.

While amplified, enemies' corresponding resistance +150%, other resistances +60%, attack +60%, and cannot be interrupted.

You can break the enemies' amplification via elemental reactions, but they'll be amplified again in the next cycle, and if you cut the time close they might get amplified again right after you break them lol

Use the opposing Ousia/Pneuma element to permanently negate the amplification node and stop it from running cycles!

This is far stronger than traditional amplifier nodes, even though traditional nodes apply 3.6U, but they only apply it 15s after the challenge begins, and there are CDs: after breaking there'll be no re-application during the 2nd cycle, and the buff will only be re-applied during the 3rd cycle

2. Breacher Primus 2
Breacher Primii will use an ult every 30-40s, dealing massive damage! In Abyss they will use their ult immediately at the very start~

During their ult, they'll receive 6U of Geo or Dendro amplification, which can be broken via elemental reactions; using a single Ousia/Pneuma attack will immediately negate this!

After elemental break or negation, the Breacher Primii will have their ult interrupted, and be paralysed for 15s!

However, the amplification from their ult does not increase resistances, and will not lower the damage you deal, if you're tanky enough you can just facetank their ults to attack them~

Note: Hydro is weak to Dendro, so 12U of Hydro is needed to break Dendro amplification; on the other hand Burning consumes elements at a fixed rate, so you'll need a whole 15s to burn through the Dendro~

3. Icewind Suite 3
This is a glamorous performance! 30s after the start of the fight, or after the bosses' HP hits 71%, their performance will reach crescendo... In Abyss they will immediately reach crescendo at the start of the challenge.

There are 3 movements to the crescendo, each movement is 30s; after a crescendo ends or is interrupted, they'll reach crescendo again after 30s

If the performer is Coppelius (Pneuma):
At the start of each movement, he'll refresh an 8U Cryo shield, which can be broken via elemental reactions, or immediately negated via Ousia

After the shield is broken or negated, the crescendo continues, now he can be attacked (the crescendo does not increase res), if he is attacked again with Ousia the crescendo can be completely stopped

If the performer is Coppelia (Ousia):
During the crescendo, she'll summon numerous whirlwinds, use a total of 3 Pneuma attacks to interrupt the crescendo

4. Clockwork Meka 4
Clockwork meka designed by the Fontainian Science Institute (?), each meka has Ousia and Pneuma states

The same meka will use different skills when in different Ousia/Pneuma alignments, and also command different elements, so they can be viewed as two different enemies~

Using the opposing Ousia/Pneuma element, these meka can be weakened, to a state comparable to banning the E/Q on your character, limiting them to Physical NAs alone~

Weakened meka cannot use elements, and can only use the most basic NAs, but will recover after 25s

Small meka can be weakened with a single opposing Ousia/Pneuma hit, large meka need 2 hits

There's also an Arithmetic Enhancer Mek 5, that will immediately recover weakened enemies, so it needs to be prioritised for weakening (even though it'll recover in 6s)

This Enhancer Mek's Ousia variant grants its teammates 20% resistance, while the Pneuma variant grants 20% atk

Other enemies are not relevant to Ousia/Pneuma

T/L note:

Pls refer to OG post for images and OG text

So leakers wrote up an explanation on Pneuma/Ousia mechanics. There's some good news and some bad news. Good news - it's only a handful of encounters and enemies that you have to deal with it (for now). Bad news - it sounds even fucking worse than just color coded shields like I was fearing. Here's the guide, I'll let you guys read it and form your own opinions. Spoiler - I fucking hate the sound of it.
Will read through it later but just skimming it seems like those scarlet rocks from Dragonspine Mt, only lasts for a single hit? Hopefully they are plentiful then .

Pejo

Will read through it later but just skimming it seems like those scarlet rocks from Dragonspine Mt, only lasts for a single hit? Hopefully they are plentiful then .
Yea that's another "good" part - I guess, at least all characters can use the mechanic by picking up the buffs. It doesn't mention needing the Fontaine weapons or not for it to work. I wonder.

Icymanipulator Icymanipulator This is a spoiler for you so don't click if you care about the main story bosses, but this mechanic sounds like using the fire butterflies to break Signora's ice shield section of her boss fight.

That mechanic will only really matter in the Abyss, where there's a time limit. As someone who cares about that challenge, I think this sounds kinda awful.

It also somewhat nerfs any previously available characters. And for what? It doesn't sound very engaging. It really does come off as a sales tactic to force players to pull for new characters.

Pejo

That mechanic will only really matter in the Abyss, where there's a time limit. As someone who cares about that challenge, I think this sounds kinda awful.

It also somewhat nerfs any previously available characters. And for what? It doesn't sound very engaging. It really does come off as a sales tactic to force players to pull for new characters.
That's exactly what it is. There's nothing about it that sounds like fun for the player experience. Then again, Abyss itself is mostly just a sales tool to get people to pull whoever that patch's Abyss has been designed around anyways.

I guess they're banking on Fontaine characters not selling on design appeal, so they're taking these steps.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So, uh, I just started this summer's event and... Why does Kokomi act like she has amnesia in the first place?

Or is it some mambo jambo plot related?

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
All the cool designs are going towards Star Rail aren't they? Just saw a new character call Blade and damn, mf looks dope.

Pejo

Bruh that's just vampire Zhongli from some bad R18 fanfic. That's enough to impress you?
I think it's his overall characterization that's pretty cool. He has some mysterious saying, he's a brooding edgelord. You don't see many male characters in Genshin that appeal to that demographic.

Wish they'd stop giving all the males rat tails and mullets though.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Bruh that's just vampire Zhongli from some bad R18 fanfic. That's enough to impress you?

Well, Zhongli is my favourite Genshin character so, anything that resembles him I'll take the bite I guess.

But like Pejo Pejo said, this one has a awesome characterization behind him too.

Wish Genshin had more mature and adult characters like what they're doing on Star Rail.

Dregnel

Well, Zhongli is my favourite Genshin character so, anything that resembles him I'll take the bite I guess.

But like Pejo Pejo said, this one has a awesome characterization behind him too.

Wish Genshin had more mature and adult characters like what they're doing on Star Rail.
the character designs in honkai star rail are light years away from genshin.
It feels like all the characters recently are designed by women frustrated by shotacon.

Last edited:

Pejo

the designs of the honkai star rail characters are light years away from genshin.
It feels like all the characters recently are designed by women frustrated by shotacon.
Even though I know it's not the case because I've watched the developer diary videos, it feels like ALL of MHY game's characters are being designed BY women FOR women these days.

• Genshin's got femmeboys and twinks basically in as close to drag as CN can get away with, all the females are covered and boring as fuck designs with 200 lbs of things covering their asses so you can't accidentally see anything.
  • Star Rail has the Yaoi and BL market covered, but a few of the female designs are pretty good, but they're ultra conservatively dressed for the most part.
  • Honkai Impact has every new character wearing a white/pastel blue/purple prom gown that looks like a bunch of freshman fashion design school students were trying to make for a grand ball and increasingly caters to the yuri audience by forcing lesbian themes into everything. The game used to have actual skimpy battlesuits for the characters who are battling, now it's like a Met Gala but even gayer.
  • Tears of Themis is a literal female self-insert romance gacha where they actually somehow get away with the female MC fucking the male characters in events. (*disclaimer, I don't play it, I just read about it)
If it wasn't for the game content and gameplay, I'd have dropped this company 6 months ago. I'm telling you guys, the Hexenzirkel is real and they got Da Wei's balls in a vice.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Damn, mihoyo was fast in adding the rail carts traveling system from TotK into Genshin. The cho cho cart is a bit of ripoff idea (not that TotK invented rail carts, but up until now Genshin never used them, and we know Genshin is heavenly based on Breath of the Wild / TotK).

Still, it's a cool use of the mechanic and I don't mind they take good ideas from the Zelda games.

Last edited:

Dregnel

Even though I know it's not the case because I've watched the developer diary videos, it feels like ALL of MHY game's characters are being designed BY women FOR women these days.

• Genshin's got femmeboys and twinks basically in as close to drag as CN can get away with, all the females are covered and boring as fuck designs with 200 lbs of things covering their asses so you can't accidentally see anything.
  • Star Rail has the Yaoi and BL market covered, but a few of the female designs are pretty good, but they're ultra conservatively dressed for the most part.
  • Honkai Impact has every new character wearing a white/pastel blue/purple prom gown that looks like a bunch of freshman fashion design school students were trying to make for a grand ball and increasingly caters to the yuri audience by forcing lesbian themes into everything. The game used to have actual skimpy battlesuits for the characters who are battling, now it's like a Met Gala but even gayer.
  • Tears of Themis is a literal female self-insert romance gacha where they actually somehow get away with the female MC fucking the male characters in events. (*disclaimer, I don't play it, I just read about it)
If it wasn't for the game content and gameplay, I'd have dropped this company 6 months ago. I'm telling you guys, the Hexenzirkel is real and they got Da Wei's balls in a vice.
the last collaboration of honkai impact was laughable, it's about promare, a yaoi movie.

Pejo

the last collaboration of honkai impact was laughable, it's about promare, a yaoi movie.
Yep, I almost quit when I saw it was announced. I get that they like high paced mecha stuff, but damn there's a lot of IPs that they could have gone with other than fucking Promare.

Where's my HxH Magias Academy Ataraxia collab?

I'm sure Kiana will be the mc and Mei will be the other twink, similar to how they made the cast play out the Evangelion parts in that collab. Promare doesn't even have a single notable female character that I can remember.

Pejo

I liked Promare… 😢
I have nothing against the IP, the animation was great, but it's a super gay anime with no notable female characters that's collaborating with a game that has no male playable characters where lesbian "shippers" ruin almost any and all discourse. So now I know I get to sit there and hear "yaaaass" in the chat for the next 6 months or until whenever the collab is over. Whatever, it's already set that they're going to do it, so no sense in me whining about it.

Tartaglia official birthday art:
4guf21eu81db1.jpg

I find it weird that they always make his theme more about
Vin Diesel Family GIF by The Fast Saga

Than being a general dickhead that just wants a fight.

*edit*

Phase 2 4*s are pretty good for a change. No Noelle or Barbara thrown in to piss everybody off.

mkmhs9shw1db1.jpg

Icymanipulator Icymanipulator - See this banner below? Do NOT roll this banner. It's one of the worst weapon banners we've had in a while, and that's saying something with as bad as they've been.

ft9b3dijw1db1.jpg

I admit, these charts from reddit are a guilty pleasure of mine. Here's one that shows how many people subscribe to various "mains" subreddits, (supposedly signifying that they 'main' those characters, but usually just shows that they like them).
bhc66yo642db1.png

I find it funny that nobody seems to like Mika, and that's basically the style of character they doubled down on for 4.0. I hope to see Lyney and Feminet at the bottom of this list in a few months too.

Dori confirmed worst character in a game full of pretty bad characters?

Last edited:
Top Bottom