• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look... outrage about a person's actions took a back seat to POLICY and something new. You can hate the man all you want, but he got out there, and his message resonated- better or worse. Even if he lied his ass off, which he did, he talked SUBSTANCE. He spoke to the people on issues, told them what he wanted to hear, even if it's wrong, and enough people bought in.

Says a lot about our country. It fuckin stinks. My own father is the quintessential Trumpster, and I fuckin hate it.

But we don't win goddamn elections by posting a picture of a candidate doin something stupid. How they bragged about their interactions with sexual assault. That shit just DOESNT WORK. Bill FUCKNG Clinton stayed in office after his philandering, Anthony Weiner was dishonest MULTIPLE times, etc etc.

People are selfish and are willing to look past a candidate's flaws as long as their agenda is in order. The same happened for those supporting Hillary. It's just fact.

If we approach the next two elections being awe-struck by how shitty a candidate for President is, fighting with platitudes, cliches, and outrage, we will be looking at Red America for 8 years. And I don't really need to prove it. Because it happened.

Hmm.. you must now have read the wall of text you quoted. Sorry, my post was a WIP

Cannot agree because we cannot accept this type of behavior as a new norm.

And then divide over as half the liberals go for whatever far-left Bernie character emerges and we have a repeat of 2016.

Or that far left Bernie character wins the nomination and we all fall in line just as most of us did (and should have) for Hillary.

Anyway, back on topic I hope the turnout tomorrow is impressive. His best chance to win is to exceed turnout expectations.

RPGCrazied

Peter Baker‏Verified account
@peterbakernyt

Trump says media didn’t pay enough attention to Kansas where GOP won by 7 points in district where it normally wins by 21-35 points.

Lmao. He just has zero clue.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm glad you're putting your children's education above yours then.

That's something.

giphy.gif

This thread was once about the Georgia 6th special election but now it's about how a guy who doesn't live in the district or even the state unsuccessfully rationalizes spite-voting Trump because "GAF told me a 3rd party vote was a waste". Derail attempt pending.

legacyzero

Banned
Cannot agree because we cannot accept this type of behavior as a new norm.
See, I don't disagree with you there. This isn't what I'm saying. I'm saying the the RIGHT sees us this way too.

We can still call things out for what they are. We certainly should. But our social and political discourse can't just be outrage and shutting people down. It has to carry discussions, debate, reason, and substance. Nobody is go g to listen or care for your view if you're just going to ostracize. You literally change nothing. AND you lose an election.

guek

Banned
I disagree. Protest votes are as much about feelings as the former, because it ignores the reality of American politics in favor of personal self-satisfaction.
That's reasonable, at least for presidential races. Whether or not anyone should or shouldn't though is, imo, a matter of political philosophy and personal ethics.

RPGCrazied

Destroy your healthcare. Really? The guy that failed doing anything with it? Yeah, that is someone I'd be trusting with my healthcare. NOT!

Sadsic

im expecting ossoff to get like 47% in the first round then lose in the second round by less than 1% or something, primarily based on republican scare tactics re: al jazeera

TyrantII

So... National Dems are going to help this time... right?

They're putting some resources into the race, yes. But Rome, and the GOP minority majority, wasn't built in a day.

Funds are important, but they won't do much if organization isn't there to make use of them.

Did someone seriously argue Donald Trump ran on "substance"

And is also a liberal who said Nancy Pelosi is terrible

I hate this country

Ogodei

The Nancy Pelosi stuff is so blatantly sexist.

A successful, liberal woman is like the Republican boogeyman.

Generally you call out the opposition's congressional leadership in races like these. I will agree that Pelosi's terrible favorables probably have some sexist influence to them, though.

Edit: Are we talking naming congressional districts again?

GA-06: North Atlanta
KS-04: Wichita.

Guess those two are too easy.

Link

The Autumn Wind
"Third party" is (understandably) a dirty word on gaf but I have much more respect for someone who sees the two candidates and fairly assesses them as both inadequate for legitimate reasons and either votes third party or abstains altogether than people who make a choice based on complete objective bullshit like "feelings" or someone who buys into the propaganda koolaid to retroactively justify their strictly partisan decision. Neither are particularly good but at least the former is honest with the facts and themselves.
I know that when I want a steak cooked medium-rare and the restaurant gives me the choice of a steak cooked medium-well or a pile of dog shit that's been scraped off the ground, I tell them, "Either is fine!"

What is hilarious to me is how tone-deaf the Republicans are. Touting Trump, attacks on wanting to keep the ACA. Now you've got a group going after Bob Gray because he isn't aligned 100% behind Trump.

I'm about to go do my part.

Apdiddy

What is hilarious to me is how tone-deaf the Republicans are. Touting Trump, attacks on wanting to keep the ACA. Now you've got a group going after Bob Gray because he isn't aligned 100% behind Trump.

I'm about to go do my part.

You want to ask the Republicans that are touting Trump "hey, are you OK with sexual assault of women and someone intimidating women publicly into not suing him in civil courts?"

The catch-all response will be "librul media" and the response back would be "that's not what I'm asking you. If it happened to your wife/daughter/sister, how would you feel?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom