• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Isn't this guy a strong progressive? Hope he wins. Sends a message to both Democrats and Republicans. Exciting candidates that can mobilize the base and get young people behind the are the way to win.

RPGCrazied

4 tweets from Trump today and last night. He is getting desperate. Jesus, Trump is like that Russian in that Rocky movie. See, he isn't a machine!

C9sQXMQXUAAbjbn.jpg
C9sQXMPWsAAhXef.jpg
C9sQXMRXoAAlqE3.jpg
C9sQXMRXcAAum74.jpg

You want to ask the Republicans that are touting Trump "hey, are you OK with sexual assault of women and someone intimidating women publicly into not suing him in civil courts?"

The catch-all response will be "librul media" and the response back would be "that's not what I'm asking you. If it happened to your wife/daughter/sister, how would you feel?"

You could try to ask David Perdue (surrogate for Dan Moody) things, but he doesn't feel like interacting with his constituents.

I just went to my local high school where I normally vote to vote and it wasn't open. Is something up?

Are you in GA-6?

Rootbeer

Banned
Trump coming out hard for this election...

This is our first big chance to knock him down a peg where it counts... at the ballot box.

Please, Georgia voters!

rjinaz

I refuse to be optimistic about these things in a post Trump world. I'll assume the worst.

But, it is nice seeing Trump sweat a little either way.

Have a safe election day Georgians.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Dems gonna have a tough road with this one. O might even win the most votes today, but I just don't personally see a path where he gets 50%.

cameron

4 tweets from Trump today and last night. He is getting desperate. Jesus, Trump is like that Russian in that Rocky movie. See, he isn't a machine!

Ahaha. At least the super liberal democrat now has a name in the latter two tweets. The second amendment fear mongering is a nice new addition.

I hope guys keep your expectations in check. Republican voters are notoriously ignorant and easily manipulated. If he the Dem wins then great but I'm honestly expecting a close race similar to Kansas whith the Republican pulling out a close win.

smisk

I hope guys keep your expectations in check. Republican voters are notoriously ignorant and easily manipulated. If he the Dem wins then great but I'm honestly expecting a close race similar to Kansas whith the Republican pulling out a close win.

Yeah that seems likely to me too. Still, the fact that the GOP is scared enough that they got Trump to tweet about the race makes me happy.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

yeah, i'm not expecting a W here

NastyBook

Oh. Clinton was rude one time 20 years ago to you, so you refused to vote for her? But none of Trump's comments during the election came off as rude?
And now you know he's just full of shit. Everybody should just put him on ignore and keep it moving. It's the same old dumbass reasoning from these people. A lack of trust for Clinton when the opposition is a blithering idiot. Shit is transparent af.

Dude Abides

Banned

Yeah that seems likely to me too. Still, the fact that the GOP is scared enough that they got Trump to tweet about the race makes me happy.

There are 11 republicans running today. The best case scenario is that Ossof gets more than 50% and he wins the seat outright today. The other scenario is nobody gets more than 50% and there is a subsequent election with Ossof and whichever R gets the most votes. In either event, the GOP isn't going to be "pulling out a close win" today.

There are 11 republicans running today. The best case scenario is that Ossof gets more than 50% and he wins the seat outright today. The other scenario is nobody gets more than 50% and there is a subsequent election with Ossof and whichever R gets the most votes. In either event, the GOP isn't going to be "pulling out a close win" today.

Ossoff will win the plurality of votes today. It remains to be seen if he will win the majority needed.

Yeah, it's a question of turnout today. If GOP turnout is lower than expected and Democrat turnout is higher Ossof can hit the 50% threshold. If turnout goes as expected there will be a runoff election.

It's a jungle primary so even if Ossoff doesn't win outright (getting above 50%) this still isn't over. Runoff polls have it close and even has Ossoff winning against some candidates.

fixedpoint

zelas

Isn't this guy a strong progressive? Hope he wins. Sends a message to both Democrats and Republicans. Exciting candidates that can mobilize the base and get young people behind the are the way to win.

He is not. This seat wouldn't even be in play had he been the extremist liberal you're hoping for.

It will because he was able to appeal to the right-of-center, educated white voters in this suburban Atlanta House district. That’s also a voting bloc Democrats, as a whole, are hoping to win over as they seek to claw back seats after a disastrous string of state and congressional losses. To that end, they may want to listen to Ossoff’s message.

He turned up at the Atlanta airport with his former boss, Democratic Rep. Hank Johnson and Congressman John Lewis, the civil rights legend, to protest Trump’s travel ban in early February. “Folks here recognize that extremism is bad for business,” Ossoff says. “Extremism anywhere in politics and gridlock in our nation’s capital.”

It’s hardly the “impeach Trump” talk that many on the progressive left are craving from Democrats right now. But Ossoff’s anti-Washington rhetoric, as well as his focus on bread-and-butter economic issues, offers a way to walk the tightrope between the angry corps of #Resistance activists and moderate Republicans who may have voted for Trump in November, but now feel uneasy about his extreme stances and flailing administration. It’s something plenty of other Democrats in swing districts and purple states will be trying to pull off a year-and-a-half from now.
http://www.newsweek.com/georgia-special-election-house-jon-ossoff-democrat-moderate-liberal-584170

You might want to force a singular and unwavering ideology on voters across the spectrum but the makeup of local electorates will always matter.

Loxley

let ossoff win. when he does waiting for trump to say recount.

Trump's been in the habit of ordering "investigative committees" whenever something happens that he doesn't like. So if Ossof wins, expect him to fart out a tweet, "I have asked congress to investigate possible voter fraud in 6th district! Suspicious!".

Trump's been in the habit of ordering "investigative committees" whenever something happens that he doesn't like. So if Ossof wins, expect him to fart out a tweet, "I have asked congress to investigate possible voter fraud in 6th district! Suspicious!".

i'm sure he's already trying to get a dossier on this guy. gotta make a scandal out of something. maybe he'll find something he did in elementary like stole lunch money and peddled candy on the side.

RPGCrazied

"In a couple weeks you will hear some very interesting things." Sound familiar? He said that about the millions of voter fraud and Obama wiretapping him personally. He will say this as well.

He is not. This seat wouldn't even be in play had he been the extremist liberal you're hoping for.

http://www.newsweek.com/georgia-special-election-house-jon-ossoff-democrat-moderate-liberal-584170

You might want to force a singular and unwavering ideology on voters across the spectrum but the makeup of local electorates will always matter.

Ossoff himself (like in his personal life) seems pretty progressive. But yeah, he's definitely not running as one. Like you said, he can't in that district.

The people who can't understand the difference between calling someone a peach, and the fact our state fruit (or something) is a peach I will never understand.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but voting equipment has gone missing in Cobb County. The county elections office waited two days before reporting the theft.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cobb-county/voting-equipment-stolen-days-before-special-election-sec-of-state-unacceptable/513453377

LOL, that's my Kroger. That van was absolutely targeted for that theft.

Glix

"In a couple weeks you will hear some very interesting things." Sound familiar? He said that about the millions of voter fraud and Obama wiretapping him personally. He will say this as well.

He fucking said it about the birth certificate years ago.

The people who don't see through it,don't want to see through it,and never will.

The people who can't understand the difference between calling someone a peach, and the fact our state fruit (or something) is a peach I will never understand.

As a Mississippian I wouldn't really care if you called me a magnolia or something feminine but I'm not really into the whole toxic masculine thing anyway. It doesn't matter.

As a Mississippian I wouldn't really care if you called me a magnolia or something feminine but I'm not really into the whole toxic masculine thing anyway. It doesn't matter.

I don't really care either, because no one would ever say it to me. Not in person. More of a warning.

It's like continuing to use Hotlanta.

RPGCrazied

I think its hilarious Trump is now using his name on twitter. Getting personal no? And should a President be doing this? I don't remember Obama going on twitter to save a congressional seat.

Ketkat

I've been living in Georgia for 24 years and I have literally never once heard someone get upset at being called a peach. What parts of Georgia is this happening?

theWB27

Or next time you can educate instead of trying to prove how stupid someone is.

In light of that...I sincerely wish ya'll the best of luck. (For Osoff of course)

We can still call things out for what they are. We certainly should. But our social and political discourse can't just be outrage and shutting people down.

Post the exact moment in this thread where shoplifter was shut down. You can't do it, because it didn't happen.

People asked him to elaborate on his views again, and again, and again, until it turned out that his choice not to vote for Hillary wasn't because he cares about small government or his kids' future. He wrote off any possibility of ever voting for her 20 years ago because she was rude to him once, and then he voted for a man who has spent his entire life being rude to people. Where's the nuance in that position? What middle ground is anyone supposed to find within something so petty?

If you actually give a shit about what you're espousing, why don't you try having a debate with someone whose every position is hypocritical and counterproductive to that person's stated goals? You know, like what people in this thread were doing?

It has to carry discussions, debate, reason, and substance. Nobody is go g to listen or care for your view if you're just going to ostracize. You literally change nothing. AND you lose an election.

I've said this before, but you clearly don't care about any of that. You just want to wag your finger at your fellow lefties from the highest horse you can find. I have yet to see you ever lead by example and do any of the debating with people on the right yourself.

What really hurt Democrats this election was when people took dishonest people like shoplifter at their word for the sake of fairness. You're still doing it, but what you don't realize is that it doesn't make you smarter, better, or any more capable of changing minds than the next person.

You want the left to be better? Start by being better yourself.

I think its hilarious Trump is now using his name on twitter. Getting personal no? And should a President be doing this? I don't remember Obama going on twitter to save a congressional seat.
Trump's Twitter account is one of his greatest assets. Don't see what that has to do with Obama or prior presidents.

jfkgoblue

Presidents have stumped for their party in elections for a long time, Twitter is just another way to do that.

No matter what the scenario is the fact that Trump is tweeting and the R's are having to actually fight for the seat puts a smile on my face.

Best of luck to Ossoff.

RPGCrazied

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but voting equipment has gone missing in Cobb County. The county elections office waited two days before reporting the theft.

Just saw this. Cobb isn't part of the 6th district? Then this would mean nothing if these people can't vote.

C9tEtVpUIAAYQgH.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom