• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK... not sure if that changes anything. A significant number less of Republican registered voters early voted. That can't be seen as a bad thing by any means.

I'll let the Upshot explain why we shouldn't read anything into the early numbers as well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/18/...ct-the-early-vote-count-to-be-misleading.html

It's a complicated district right now. But I'll repeat: today is Ossoff's best chance by a large margin.

No real reason. Laziness?

Zyae

We're trusting polling now?

giphy.gif

polling was accurate in the 2016 GE

It means very little. For example, I am still a registered Republican.

I don't think this matters here. In Georgia they count by recent votes not party registration (I think), so if you voted in the Dem primary or something like that, you're counted as a Dem regardless of registration.

Edit: but your point above still stands, today is the better shot.

I don't think this matters here. In Georgia they count by recent votes not party registration (I think), so if you voted in the Dem primary or something like that, you're counted as a Dem regardless of registration.

Edit: but your point above still stands, today is the better shot.

You might be right. It either changed, or just counted my prior votes. Would explain why I didn't get any flyers while my wife did (anti-Trump primary vote).

It's the last primary you voted in.

When I went to vote in 1996, I distinctly remember registering. But I can't recall why.

You might be right. It either changed, or just counted my prior votes. Would explain why I didn't get any flyers while my wife did (anti-Trump primary vote).

It's the last primary you voted in. Party affiliation numbers in Georgia are fairly useless. Not entirely, but more so than states with hard reg.

MrNelson

Banned
I thought they didn't register by party in Georgia? When I registered in 2015 when I got my Georgia driver's license they didn't ask, and my voter registration card didn't indicate anything about party affiliation.

NastyBook

So many people from South DeKalb coming into the branch trying to find out where they can vote for this open seat. It really sucks to turn them away, but they're all Hank Johnson's ppl.

Yeah, I'm not really confident in a 50+1% today, but he'll be no slouch in a runoff.

He's polling at parity in a runoff with a diminishing number of undecideds. It's going to be close in a runoff.

I bet he gets about 46-48% tonight and then we'll just have to see in June. Could go either way.

I thought they didn't register by party in Georgia? When I registered in 2015 when I got my Georgia driver's license they didn't ask, and my voter registration card didn't indicate anything about party affiliation.

Remembering back twenty-plus years ago is hard. I may have genuinely misremembered.

Any Georgians have any updates?

Spotty showers in the area. That's all I got. None of the people I used to work with in politics will take my calls anymore. I'm a traitor now. lol

I'm in Forsyth so I can't vote for this otherwise I'd be voting Ossoff. I know of 5 coworkers that live in this district. 2 definitely voted for Ossoff, I'm going to guess that 1 of the others did as well, the 4th is a wild card, he's more libertarian I know he voted 3rd party for president. I'm betting the 5th didn't vote. There's your anecdotal useless info you can extrapolate if you like though!

Edit: And yes it is pouring outside of my office window very loudly right now.

I'm in Forsyth so I can't vote for this otherwise I'd be voting Ossoff. I know of 5 coworkers that live in this district. 2 definitely voted for Ossoff, I'm going to guess that 1 of the others did as well, the 4th is a wild card, he's more libertarian I know he voted 3rd party for president. I'm betting the 5th didn't vote. There's your anecdotal useless info you can extrapolate if you like though!

Wow Ossoff's got this.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

This is promising

Rootbeer

Banned
Wow Ossoff's got this.
Nov 8th should have drove the message home strong about never counting your chickens till they hatch... should mentally prepare ourselves.

Unless you are able to vote in this election, then you should be voting and encouraging your friends, family and neighbors to vote above all else

Nov 8th should have drove the message home strong about never counting your chickens till they hatch... should mentally prepare ourselves.

Unless you are able to vote in this election, then you should be voting and encouraging your friends, family and neighbors to vote above all else

it was a joke.

So, turnout in GA-06 could be anywhere from 130,00 to 157,000. As of now, we have 54,000 votes from the EV.

Total turnout in GA-06 at the prez level was 331,000. Let's say that it'll be 157,000, which is 47% of the total vote in 2016.

73,901 people voted in DeKalb in 2016, which is the most Dem part of GA-06. Right now, about 16,000 people have voted in DeKalb, which is about ~50% of where the turnout should be. Given that post people vote in the afternoon/night, this is generally a good thing and is mostly matching turnout of a midterm.

It's going to be close, even though I think that Ossoff will end up around 47%.

OmniOne

I ~believe~ it has some of the same parts, but it was further north. It had no DeKalb in it.

Yeah I saw an article that kept talking about all the other articles saying it was the same district when it is different. Looked like a different area completely by the picture of the old district.

Yeah I saw an article that kept talking about all the other articles saying it was the same district when it is different. Looked like a different area completely by the picture of the old district.

It's hard to find old district lines, but the ones I could see from when Isakson was congressman was that it had north Fulton where it sort of turns into the tip on the east side, Cobb, and then some more north of Cobb and Fulton. But no DeKalb.

United_States_House_of_Representatives%2C_Georgia_District_6_map.png

United_States_House_of_Representatives%2C_Georgia_District_06%2C_110th_Congress.png

The people who can't understand the difference between calling someone a peach, and the fact our state fruit (or something) is a peach I will never understand.

LOL, that's my Kroger. That van was absolutely targeted for that theft.

Is that the Kroger right there at the edge of Canton, across from the dollar store?

RPGCrazied

Another attack I see is Ossoff doesn't even live in this district. But its not in the rules saying you have to be. Plus he said he would move if he wins.

RPGCrazied

There it is!!! What a loser. Just now.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump

Just learned that Jon @Ossoff, who is running for Congress in Georgia, doesn't even live in the district. Republicans, get out and vote!

RPGCrazied

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump

Just learned that Jon @Ossoff, who is running for Congress in Georgia, doesn't even live in the district. Republicans, get out and vote!

Just like your family that is registered to vote in multiple states?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom