• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghiblis 'Only Yesterday'. Reviews (100 % at Rotten) and Screening List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

The lead character, Taeko, is voiced by new Star Wars sensation Daisy Ridley. (And if that heats up the box office, hallelujah.) Only Yesterday represents the kind of artistry that crosses borders of language and culture. But like many foreign imports with reduced funds for promotion, it can fall between the cracks. Don't let it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/only-yesterday-20160225

Only Yesterday can sometimes seem a little too random in what it chooses to show, but it has a cumulative power as Taeko comes to understand that the past that shaped her needn’t define her. That’s a remarkably sophisticated theme for any film, let alone a cartoon. But then what else should we expect from a filmmaker so precise that he’d spend five minutes describing the exact texture and taste of a piece of fruit?

http://www.avclub.com/review/studio-ghibli-classic-only-yesterday-finally-gets--232624

The first great movie of 2016, as far as U.S. releases go, is an animated picture that was made in 1991: Takahata’s breathtakingly beautiful and quietly but devastatingly moving “Only Yesterday,” seeing its first screenings here in both its original Japanese-language version and a scrupulously English-dubbed edition featuring the voice talents of Daisy Ridley, Dev Patel, and Ashley Eckstein.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/only-yesterday-2016

"Only Yesterday” is sometimes referred to as the “lost” Studio Ghibli film. The only one of the Japanese animation giant’s features to have never been released in the United States, the 1991 film is finally getting a showing, with a new English voice cast starring Daisy Ridley and Dev Patel.

It was worth the wait.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/goin...ce2580-da50-11e5-891a-4ed04f4213e8_story.html

Only Yesterday originally came out more than two decades ago in Japan through Studio Ghibli, but Isao Takahata’s mature, humane slice of life drama couldn’t feel more achingly relevant to the narrative concerns of this decade, and cinema’s renewed interest in the experiences of spiritually adrift young women staking their own path.

http://thefilmstage.com/reviews/review-only-yesterday/

Screeninglist down below

DOWN

Banned
Wait is this a studio Ghibli feature? I thought they paused on feature films? EDIT: 1991 lmao

Meier

This and Ocean Waves were the only two Ghibli films I had not seen from the old days (didn't see Earthsea recently due to the universal hatred of it) so I was thrilled I got to go last week. Saw the subbed version at the Drafthouse and absolutely loved it.

The facial animation was a little funny though. At times they tried to make it more lifelike and it just came across as a little awkward.

Here are two examples:

snapshot20091227011533.jpg

Generally in animation they don't show the cheeks necessarily but in this they would sometimes and to be honest, it just came across as a bit strange. Here is an example in the trailer: https://youtu.be/x0ZrjocXVJ4?t=15

Got the DVD because it's available here in the UK but subs only. Wonder if we'll get a BD release with the new dub or if it will just be US only.

Edit: I agree, Meier. The cheeks make things look awkward and quite ugly at times.

Ran rp

This and Ocean Waves were the only two Ghibli films I had not seen from the old days (didn't see Earthsea recently due to the universal hatred of it) so I was thrilled I got to go last week. Saw the subbed version at the Drafthouse and absolutely loved it.

The facial animation was a little funny though. At times they tried to make it more lifelike and it just came across as a little awkward.

Here are two examples:

Generally in animation they don't show the cheeks necessarily but in this they would sometimes and to be honest, it just came across as a bit strange. Here is an example in the trailer: https://youtu.be/x0ZrjocXVJ4?t=15

lol what the hell

edit: i think it would have been alright if the cheeks didn't disappear so suddenly

Dice//

Banned

Here are two examples:

I wonder if part of that is the plot than necessarily and solely a stylistic choice. (Stop me if I'm wrong), but the whole idea that MC is an "old and unmarried late-twenty-something" is likely part of why she's aged-up and looks a bit funky; just to really show that "not young anymore" idea.

Anyways, watched this way back when, unfortunately on YouTube in like 8 parts when University exams were crushing me and I needed a break. It was excellent and I'd love to watch it again.

Oersted

March 4
Los Angeles, CA - ArcLight Hollywood
Pasadena, CA -Laemmle Playhouse
Santa Monica, CA - Laemmle Monica Film Center
San Diego, CA - Landmark Hillcrest Cinemas
Kalamazoo, MI - Alamo Drafthouse Kalamazoo
San Francisco, CA - Landmark Embarcadero
Rochester, NY - Little Theater
Berkeley, CA - Landmark California
Akron, OH - Nightlight Cinema
Victoria, BC - The Vic Theatre
Saskatoon, SK - The Roxy
Littleton, CO - Alamo Drafthouse Littleton (3/7)
Palo Alto, CA - Landmark Theatres
San Jose, CA - Camera 3 Cinemas
Houston, TX - Landmark River Oaks
Littleton, CO - Alamo Drafthouse (3/7)
Providence, RI - Cable Car Cinema (3/5)

March 11
Camarillo, CA - Regency Paseo Camarillo Cinemas
Hartford, CT - Real Art Ways
Cleveland, OH - Cedar Lee Theatre
Honolulu, HI - Consolidated Kahala 8
Portland, OR - Regal Fox Tower
Cincinatti, OH - Esquire Theater
Milwaukee, WI - Landmark Oriental Theatre
Minneapolis, MN - Landmark Theatres
Atlanta, GA - Landmark Midtown Art
Tempe, AZ - Harkins Valley Art
Waterloo, ON - Princess Cinema
Ithaca, NY - Cornell Cinema (3/12-13)
Houston, TX - Alamo Drafthouse Vintage Park
Katy, TX - Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
Los Angeles, CA - ArcLight Hollywood
Pasadena, CA -Laemmle Playhouse
Santa Monica, CA - Laemmle Monica Film Center
San Diego, CA - Landmark Hillcrest Cinemas
Kalamazoo, MI - Alamo Drafthouse Kalamazoo
San Francisco, CA - Landmark Embarcadero
Rochester, NY - Little Theater
Berkeley, CA - Landmark California
Akron, OH - Nightlight Cinema
Victoria, BC - The Vic Theatre
Saskatoon, SK - The Roxy
Littleton, CO - Alamo Drafthouse Littleton (3/7)
Palo Alto, CA - Landmark Theatres
San Jose, CA - Camera 3 Cinemas
Houston, TX - Landmark River Oaks
Littleton, CO - Alamo Drafthouse (3/7)
Providence, RI - Cable Car Cinema (3/5)

March 11
Camarillo, CA - Regency Paseo Camarillo Cinemas
Hartford, CT - Real Art Ways
Cleveland, OH - Cedar Lee Theatre
Honolulu, HI - Consolidated Kahala 8
Portland, OR - Regal Fox Tower
Cincinatti, OH - Esquire Theater
Milwaukee, WI - Landmark Oriental Theatre
Minneapolis, MN - Landmark Theatres
Atlanta, GA - Landmark Midtown Art
Tempe, AZ - Harkins Valley Art
Waterloo, ON - Princess Cinema
Ithaca, NY - Cornell Cinema (3/12-13)
Houston, TX - Alamo Drafthouse Vintage Park
Katy, TX - Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
Vancouver, BC - Vancity Theatre (3/14)
Notre Dame, IN - DeBartolo Performing Arts Center (3/13-16)
Knoxville, TN - Regal Downtown West
Albuquerque, NM - United Artists High Ridge 8
Grand Rapids, MI - Celebration Cinemas Woodland
Vancouver, WA - Kiggins Theatre
Santa Cruz, CA - The Nick
Dallas, TX - Angelika Film Center and Cafe
Plano, TX - Angelika Film Center and Cafe
Chicago, IL - Music Box Theatre
Santa Rosa, CA - Summerfield Cinemas
St. Louis, MO - Landmark Tivoli Theatre
Lubbock, TX - Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

March 18
Salt Lake City, UT - Broadway Centre Cinemas
Jacksonville, FL - Sun-Ray Cinemas
Indianapolis, IN - Landmark Keystone Art
Albany, NY - Landmark Spectrum 8
Lowell, MA - The Luna Theatre
Iowa City, IA - FilmScene
Lambertsville, NJ - ACME Screening Room (3/18-3/20)
Santa Fe, NM - CCA Cinematheque
Pittsburgh, PA - Row House
Tuscon, AZ - The Loft Cinema
Lancaster, PA - Zoetropolis
Salem, MA - CinemaSalem
Camas, WA - Liberty Theatre
Montreal, QC - Cinéma du Parc
Olympia, WA - Capitol Theater (3/19)
Memphis, TN - Wolfchase Galleria Cinemas
Hilo, HI - The Palace Theater
Jefferson City, MO - Capitol City Cinema
Oklahoma City, OK - Oklahoma City Museum of Art

March 25
Keene, NH - Putnam Theater
Miami, FL - O Cinema Wynwood
Winston-Salem, NC - Aperture Cinema (3/26-27)
Fort Worth, TX - Modern Art Museum of Ft Worth
Edmonton, AB - Metro Cinema

April 1
Omaha, NE - Film Streams
Gainesville, FL - The Hippodrome

April 22
Potsdam, NY - The Roxy Theatre

March 25
Bellingham, WA - Pickford Film Center

Monocle

Hoping to see this soon.

Here are two examples:

Hmm, yeah. Kind of a strange effect.

aceface

The sub version of this was on AMC when they did their Ghibli movie Marathon a few years back. I caught it then, great movie. Nice to see it get a dub and theatrical release.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Oh this is playing really close to me. I may take a trip out to see this. One of the few Ghibli films I haven't seen before.

I feel fortunate for having gotten to watch this film on Turner classic movies like nearly 10 years ago. I'll buy it on Blu-ray as soon as it comes out because it was excellent.
I feel I'll only appreciate it more becuase I'm now in the main characters age group lol.

I wonder if part of that is the plot than necessarily and solely a stylistic choice. (Stop me if I'm wrong), but the whole idea that MC is an "old and unmarried late-twenty-something" is likely part of why she's aged-up and looks a bit funky; just to really show that "not young anymore" idea.

Anyways, watched this way back when, unfortunately on YouTube in like 8 parts when University exams were crushing me and I needed a break. It was excellent and I'd love to watch it again.
I always thought she was in her late thirties.

Finaika

Late 20's is old now?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I feel fortunate for having gotten to watch this film on Turner classic movies like nearly 10 years ago. I'll buy it on Blu-ray as soon as it comes out because it was excellent.

I feel I'll only appreciate it more becuase I'm now in the main characters age group lol.

Same, and that's exactly why I want to rewatch it again.

why didn't this come out in the US till now?

Disney gained the rights to it, along with a number of other titles from Ghibli's catalog, as a sort of package when they made their deal with Tokuma in 1996. Disney never released it in the US though because they objected to some of the content in the film (discussion of periods, etc.)

Randam

Disney gained the rights to it, along with a number of other titles from Ghibli's catalog, as a sort of package when they made their deal with Tokuma in 1996. Disney never released it in the US though because they objected to some of the content in the film (discussion of periods, etc.)

still 5 years after it came out originally.

I really enjoyed this, bought it on DVD when it came out here in the UK a few years ago. It's a really charming little film. It's very down to earth, don't expect the wild and adventurous side of Ghibli here. But if you know what you're in for, you'll love it.

Deft Beck

I saw this along with The Ocean Waves a couple of years ago and completely forgot everything that happened in the story.

Very pretty animation, though. Lovely ambiance and very bittersweet.

Matticers

This isn't being played around here so I'm hoping that it comes out on blu-ray this year. I think GKIDS has the rights to it.

Late 20's is old now?

It certainly seemed she was older for me. I saw it a long time ago in spanish and I don't remember her age even mentioned.

Still, the point stands: Someone reflecting over the dreams of their younger selves. I guess it works if she's 27 or 37.

Alfredo

The movie opened in Dallas only, uh, yesterday, so I went and saw the dub. It was wonderful. I was a little put off by Dev Patel's accent for the main male character, but that's my only complaint with the dub.

I'm so happy that this finally got an official American release. Can't believe it took this long. I remember watching it during that AMC Ghibli marathon on TV, and I think that was the only time I saw it until now. As an adult now, I appreciated the messages of the movie a lot better. Will definitely pick up the Blu-ray when it's out.

This letter from one of the dub's producers talks about how he spent five years trying to bring this film to America. Check it out. It's pretty interesting, and I'm glad he was able to get it done!

This was...good.

Didn't like the dub, worst of the Ghibli films IMO, (it felt very awkward) but that's fine. Slow movie. Worth watching at least once, though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Saw it last night in Plano for the subtitled showing.

Didn't like it as much as I expected to.
Long, slow, meandering. Though it had some nice moments and messages. Overall though, it didn't add up for me. I'm glad to have seen it at least once though.

rpmurphy

Watched it and liked it, dub version because the sub version is at 9:30pm lol. Some sections did feel drawn out, but I didn't find that they were like that for no reason. It's a lovely little journey into the mind of Taeko and her reminiscence of her 5th grade year. Studio Ghibli does an incredible job of hitting that nostalgia nerve in movies like this even for people who did not grow up in those time periods, and this movie was no exception. The ending was really sweet. It's one of the best endings that I've seen in a Studio Ghibli film.

I'll probably sacrifice one of my nights to go watch the sub version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom