• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghiblis 'Only Yesterday'. Reviews (100 % at Rotten) and Screening List

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw it, good movie hindered by some pacing issues IMO. The conversation between Taeko and Toshio when she gets picked up at the station, for example, was too drawn out. Or some of the inner monologues of grown-up Taeko felt a bit forced. Like when she was bringing up this bully kid to Toshio, who presumably impacted very her much during 5th grade but it's missing from all the memories up to that point.

Despite this however, all the scenes with little Taeko were hilarious. The pineapple scene, when she imagines herself as an actress, trying to not skip P.E. class, etc. Me and the entire theater were laughing wholeheartedly. Isao Takahata's movies are always a rollercoaster of emotions. He is a master at making you laugh and the next moment create heart-stopping situations of tenseness or sentimentality (the scene with Hirota, the baseball kid, stood out a lot). This movie, while not among my favorites from Ghibli, still cements my preference of Takahata over the talented yet predictable Miyazaki. Definitely worth the watch.

How's the dub? I might have to miss out on the sub version cause it plays so late.

It's...fine. I don't think Daisy Ridley is a great voice actress, and you can really hear Dev Patel's British accent throughout. But if the choice is seeing the dub in theaters or not seeing it at all, don't skip out on the dub. It's a really wonderful film, and the somewhat awkward, stilted dub really doesn't get in the way much, if at all.

It's a good anime dub, and merely an OK Ghibli dub.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Saw it again after a few years at a screening. It was slower but funnier than I remembered.

Probably the best movie I've watched so far this year. I've never taken to Takahata before, so now I'm feeling like I need to revisit his work.

LuuKyK

Its a great movie, but I just can't unsee the weird cheeks on the main character. Its so distracting to the point that it annoys me. Why? It makes a young lady look like an old one. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom