• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

The Swindle would be so much better if it controlled well. The non-spammable whack is great but the particulars of jumping and wall-climbing/clinging are fucking me over and over. I've tried this with both a PS4 and Xbone controller (sticks and dpads), and played with the deadzone setting and nothing is working.

I haven't looked at later upgrades but is one to always stick to a wall unless you move the stick? Because that would be waaaaay better and allow me to tiptoe vertically.

jgminto

The Swindle would be so much better if it controlled well. The non-spammable whack is great but the particulars of jumping and wall-climbing/clinging are fucking me over and over. I've tried this with both a PS4 and Xbone controller (sticks and dpads), and played with the deadzone setting and nothing is working.

I haven't looked at later upgrades but is one to always stick to a wall unless you move the stick? Because that would be waaaaay better and allow me to tiptoe vertically.

The Swindle is disappointing. The controls are rough and for a game about restarting over and over, there is extremely little variation. Once you figure out the correct upgrade purchase order (Bugs ASAP) then you basically just need to smash your head against the final level until you get some good level RNG.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh wow, black closet, one of austin walker's favourites, is really fun.

I managed to
win back the traitor
and managed to maybe enter a lesbian relationship with her.

Fun!

Does anyone remember why everyone on the site hates Binding of Isaac?

In the Rebirth quick look I remember Jeff and Dan being down on it because they see it as a twin stick shooter where you can only shot in 4 directions. Don't remember how anybody else feels about the game, expect that Patrick loved it back in the day.

daydream

Banned
they touch on it on last year's gotycast

fixed shooting directions, item randomisation and the fecal aesthetic were jeff and brad's main knocks

i ultimately agree even though i've had some fun with the game

Anyone remember that work out mix Dan mentioned months ago that was 3 45 minute long tracks of various movie soundtracks?

I need some workout music and the Rocky theme can only take a fella so far.

OMG Aero

jeff should watch ASURA'S WRATH

zaG5QHS.gif

Imagine how embarrassed Tim Anime must be that the best Anime is not even an anime, but a game.
Still waiting for the premium stream of Brad playing the true ending DLC.

Don't know if these are what Dan mentioned but there's the Blood Bros trilogy.

I am not sure if that was what he mentioned but it was the same idea. Thanks. Ill download these.

Death magnetic?

C'mon Dan.

Hey! That album was perfectly decent.

If the Rocky movies are Metallica albums DM is the "Rocky Balboa" of Metallica albums. Not really that creative but they stopped being weird and making dumb mistakes and just made the album people wanted them to make since the black album.

If you cant tell I watched Creed yesterday and rewatched Rocky 1 today and now I am looking at Rocky posters on amazon and I think I need to go outside of a bit

If you cant tell I watched Creed yesterday and rewatched Rocky 1 today and now I am looking at Rocky posters on amazon and I think I need to go outside of a bit

Creed comes out next weekend here so I'm watching all the Rocky films to prepare for that - two down, four more to go. Thank god for content drought!

danm999

Target market tweens. Said tweens going through puberty.

Damn tweets. I knew they were a mistake.

Sonic is also more then just games, it is a few cartoons and comics.

Wasn't that all back in the 90s as well though (apart from that new cartoon I realise).

Just seems like these people have been on the Internet the last decade or so in a way that is completely at odds with how much worthwhile Sonic media there was. I mean you can find 2012 Presidential election Sonic cartoons and fuck me if Sonic was doing anything relevant then.

It's weird right? Sonic is a 90s relic that completely stopped being in anything viable around 2000 but has managed to retain a vocal core of supporters despite so many other 90s icons shrivelling and dying.

Teddified

I have to say that playing Tales from the Borderlands made me want to play some borderlands. So I grabbed Pre-Sequel during the steam sale and I have been enjoying it. I feel like I have to play as Athena though since it's kinda a story being told by her, also because of Tales from.

Wasn't that all back in the 90s as well though (apart from that new cartoon I realise).

Just seems like these people have been on the Internet the last decade or so in a way that is completely at odds with how much worthwhile Sonic media there was. I mean you can find 2012 Presidential election Sonic cartoons and fuck me if Sonic was doing anything relevant then.

It's weird right? Sonic is a 90s relic that completely stopped being in anything viable around 2000 but has managed to retain a vocal core of supporters despite so many other 90s icons shrivelling and dying.

It's just really for me to say how popular the comic and cartoons are these days I guess. I just remember watching the cartoon on saturday mornings and I saw the comic at some noncomic stores during those days.

danm999

I know the new game scored poorly and sold terribly. It would be hilarious if the video game end of the Sonic license was now the weak link.

If we want to get real about this (and let me preface this by saying that this is purely anecdotal and in no way actually applies to any Sonic fans), I always thought that there could be a specific resonance with the Sonic characters from those on the autism spectrum in a similar fashion as Thomas the Tank Engine. The characters all have bold colors and very clear roles as well as a lack of complex emotions. It could partially explain why there's such a following for the characters beyond the games themselves.

Noaloha

Been playing a bunch of Kerbal the past fews days for the first time. That game really is something special, marrying such heavyweight applied science to the goofy cheeriness of Kerbin's pluckiest is inspired.

I'm liking it enough - it's made such a strong immediate first impression - that I'm now strongly considering inserting it in at number 2 or 3 for my GOTY list. Invisible Inc is currently at my 2, so I have to mull over which I think is most all-round betterest.

Fevaweva

I finished the re-listening of the GOTY podcasts from 2008 to 2014. Man, 2013 was a rough ROUUUUGH one after 2012. You could almost feel the Ryan shaped hole.

My prediction for this year's Game of the Year? Metal Gear Solid 5, for much the same reason as Shadows of Mordor last year. It plays too well for it not to win, despite the story not being the greatest.

That is, of course, the way Konami have shitted up the game costs it the top spot. But I could totally see that being hand waved away, much like the multiplayer will be.

Par Score

If we want to get real about this (and let me preface this by saying that this is purely anecdotal and in no way actually applies to any Sonic fans), I always thought that there could be a specific resonance with the Sonic characters from those on the autism spectrum in a similar fashion as Thomas the Tank Engine. The characters all have bold colors and very clear roles as well as a lack of complex emotions. It could partially explain why there's such a following for the characters beyond the games themselves.

Or, it's a cross-media thing that has been ridiculously popular for almost 25 years, so has a huge number of fans, some of which are weird?

It's not like this is exclusive to Sonic, it happens with anything that is staggeringly, immensely popular. There's a critical mass that once reached becomes basically self sustaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom