• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

The Friends of the Site family of wrestlers continues to grow.

tumblr_oc2wzaHGvi1u5eu8ao1_1280.png

I'm sorry did we just get like 3 Quick Looks drop today

And a Titanfall stream

and a MOTO GP poddy

Who was it that said there was a drought going on?

Jintor

Man the snake eating it's own tail thing with nms is really amazing

I'm biased as fuck since I used to be press but it kinda feels to me kind of like the the general audience has lost any capacity to be critical of something before release and just blindly buys into hype, only to lash out and blame the press for "hyping things up" when stuff doesn't meet their expectations. But then again, maybe that hasn't changed at all.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
the only mature shootbang thing i'm interested in for the rest of the year is COD 4 remastered. And that's just for single player.

and i'm not paying 80 dollars for it

Unprofessional Friday feels more superfluous than ever. If we're getting Quick Looks of the games they're playing on UPF, I may as well just choose UPF or the QL. I'm rarely watching both.

Like Seum. I've seen all that I've need of the game before the Quick Look dropped when they played it previously. Same for Overcooked.

Titanfall 2 is fun. I don't really love their Bounty Hunt game mode and would much prefer standard TDM but that's ok. And Jeff is right about these things that open up early for press and select/a few random other regular folk, people are terrible! I'm doing like twice as better as second place is doing. I like it!

I'm biased as fuck since I used to be press but it kinda feels to me kind of like the the general audience has lost any capacity to be critical of something before release and just blindly buys into hype, only to lash out and blame the press for "hyping things up" when stuff doesn't meet their expectations. But then again, maybe that hasn't changed at all.

I feel like NMS is a special case. There's been hype around it for so long that, along with the general lack of clarity on what the game is, it was going to get lambasted no matter what. The fact that it ended up being flawed just made that all the worse. It was years of the game building itself up in people's minds. Hell, even look at Deus Ex: MD for comparison. By how good the last game is you'd expect it to be insanely hyped, but the general feeling I get from GAF is optimistic-but-careful.

I feel like NMS is a special case. There's been hype around it for so long that, along with the general lack of clarity on what the game is, it was going to get lambasted no matter what. The fact that it ended up being flawed just made that all the worse. It was years of the game building itself up in people's minds. Hell, even look at Deus Ex: MD for comparison. By how good the last game is you'd expect it to be insanely hyped, but the general feeling I get from GAF is optimistic-but-careful.

I honestly think (just as Jeff and Brad said on the Bombcast) if the game was labeled as Early Access, there would not have been as much negative reception (note: according to Metacritic the game is a 72, which is an average score). They way they seem to be supporting the game is very similar to the Early Access model. I wonder if they did label it Early Access, and maybe charged half of the current price, how things would be different. I will say I am enjoying it a lot, but by autumn, I'll probably have long since moved on. That all depends on how quickly they can get the new features into the game. If I get to the end before the additions are introduced, I may be less inclined to check them out (unless they are game changing).

I honestly think (just as Jeff and Brad said on the Bombcast) if the game was labeled as Early Access, there would not have been as much negative reception (note: according to Metacritic the game is a 72, which is an average score). They way they seem to be supporting the game is very similar to the Early Access model. I wonder if they did label it Early Access, and maybe charged half of the current price, how things would be different. I will say I am enjoying it a lot, but by autumn, I'll probably have long since moved on. That all depends on how quickly they can get the new features into the game. If I get to the end before the additions are introduced, I may be less inclined to check them out (unless they are game changing).

Early Access would have been a better route yeah, but I'm not sure if Sony would have allowed that.

I'm curious about the updates. Can they actually add full-fledged base building into the game? That sounds like a massive undertaking for it to be satisfying and worth the time. If the game can eventually get updated and end up as a 3D Starbound or something then hell yeah i'm into that, but I don't have high hopes -- or even know if they're trying to go that direction. Jeff and Brad talking about it like it's an Early Access game on the Bombcast bothered me a little. If i'm being charged $60 I don't want to have the game feel like it's early access, especially if it's not advertised as such.

I honestly think a lot of my problems with NMS comes down to the price. It would be a much easier pill to swallow if it were $30. Granted, stuff like value is super subjective -- that's just where it all breaks for me. I found myself comparing it (probably unfairly) to the base version of Elite: Dangerous which is $30, and couldn't justify paying $60 for No Man's Sky.

KingKong

The thing that really bothers me about No Mans Sky is how the creatures seem to just be randomly generated. Sure it's funny to see a big beast walking on its hind legs or a hippo flying with tiny wings but whats the point of visiting different planets with different characteristics if you're just going to find the same goofy creatures on each one?

Lunar FC

The thing that really bothers me about No Mans Sky is how the creatures seem to just be randomly generated. Sure it's funny to see a big beast walking on its hind legs or a hippo flying with tiny wings but whats the point of visiting different planets with different characteristics if you're just going to find the same goofy creatures on each one?

So what would of had them do instead, hand make thousands of animals? Plus, I rarely see the exact same creatures.

Early Access would have been a better route yeah, but I'm not sure if Sony would have allowed that.

I'm curious about the updates. Can they actually add full-fledged base building into the game? That sounds like a massive undertaking for it to be satisfying and worth the time. If the game can eventually get updated and end up as a 3D Starbound or something then hell yeah i'm into that, but I don't have high hopes -- or even know if they're trying to go that direction. Jeff and Brad talking about it like it's an Early Access game on the Bombcast bothered me a little. If i'm being charged $60 I don't want to have the game feel like it's early access, especially if it's not advertised as such.

I honestly think a lot of my problems with NMS comes down to the price. It would be a much easier pill to swallow if it were $30. Granted, stuff like value is super subjective -- that's just where it all breaks for me. I found myself comparing it (probably unfairly) to the base version of Elite: Dangerous which is $30, and couldn't justify paying $60 for No Man's Sky.

For me, my perfect version of No Man's Sky would've been the current game, coupled with true multiplayer. On top of that, it would've had more Minecraft-esque building features. You'd be able to dig deep into a planet/moon (or space rock) instead of just resources and build homes/bases/outposts above ground and underground (with airlocks when necessary). You'd be able to build starports on the surface as well as space stations that ships could dock to to refuel. You and your friends could built fleets of spacecraft (small and large) and visit other planets with other real people (with their own fleets of spacecraft). You could form alliances or go to war. Unfortunately, I think some people expected those features out of the box (I kept my hype in check, thankfully). Essentially what I described is a mix of No Man's Sky, Minecraft, EVE Online, and maybe a little Kerbal Space Program thrown in (maybe with some players getting to be mission control). I hope we get a game like that one day.

KingKong

So what would of had them do instead, hand make thousands of animals? Plus, I rarely see the exact same creatures.

Have some kind of logic, have different biomes and temperatures influence creature design, have the kind of predator or prey influence what other creatures look like, theres a lot of things they could have done

I don't understand the point of base building in a game where you are leaving planets to never return.

I think that would add the ability to return. I am curious what the hook is that will make you want to return, though. I know one of the additions will be bounties, so maybe it's tied into that.

I don't understand the point of base building in a game where you are leaving planets to never return.

You could network them together and be able to launch off in a different direction from any particular planet, perhaps. Or run from the space po-po.

More importantly because the worlds are literally connected instances in game you could erect a giant penis on every planet you visit.

It's the same as in Minecraft. You find somewhere you like and you put down roots. I always loved finding a crazy mountain or area to build, or a place that has a nice view. It's somewhere you return to after your adventure and build up. They could easily just do the Starbound method and have it so you can always warp back to your 'home' planet. My fear is more that the game wasn't designed with it in mind and it'll feel shallow and tacked on.

zeshakag

Oh man...

Just found out that Giantbomb isn't doing a offsite PAX streaming party this year. :(

I was looking forward to attending that more than PAX itself.

*desperately searches for other PAX parties*

To be honest I think building mechanics are the only thing that makes survival games anything more than clickers. I mean Starbound's more feature complete than NMS but the base progression mechanics are:

Mine to the core of your tier of planets and get the best ore > Run around biomes until you find an outpost for a specific race > Beat the dungeon/boss fight > Repeat

I'd argue most of the things the games share are less enjoyable than they are in NMS (outside of the dungrons) but it's a much better title at the end of the day due to it having dungeons/bosses which break up the monotony of random generations as well as giving you a sense of progression and the building mechanics.

Dan seriously talks up Super Mario Sunshine too much to not just play all of it on camera.

Dude needs his Metal Gear Scanlon V moment where he falls out of love with a game.

Really excited to play Dead Rising 1 again. After 10 years and a number of not so successful attempts to recapture the appeal, revisiting the original on PC will be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom