• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

justjim89

Yeah I'm kind of with you.

It tries to be too many things. You want aliens? It's about aliens! You want occult shit, or a dark mysterious past, or racism, or corruption, or whatever, it's that too!

It feels pandering.

Not to mention the stylistic choice of having no spoken words from the characters means you have to do a lot of interpreting.
It took me a good minute and a half to figure out when the acid trip ended and we were back to actual events again. Or were we? The whole arrest and being in the local jail made absolutely no sense to me.

I wonder if anyone in the GB crew have played it. Curious to hear their thoughts.

What was it before?

2525392-bombandcrosschainsawsdoveexplosion.jpg

So the Shenmue Endurance Run got me to check out the actual site. I listened to the Bombcast last week and thought it was great. I think I'm starting to "get" Giant Bomb, but don't know where to start with this site. There's just so much stuff. Help?

repeater

So the Shenmue Endurance Run got me to check out the actual site. I listened to the Bombcast last week and thought it was great. I think I'm starting to "get" Giant Bomb, but don't know where to start with this site. There's just so much stuff. Help?
There's brief presentations of most regular features in the OP of this thread. Welcome to the dark side! :)

I'm 10 missions into MGS V and it's getting pretty boring.
Please look forward to the next 450 missions.

I really enjoyed that game.

There's brief presentations of most regular features in the OP of this thread. Welcome to the dark side! :)

So the first Bombcast I listened to was the one about Methed Up Billy Idol. Wait, there's a video version too?

Um. Before this Bombcast and ER the only thing I saw from GB was...DON'T SHAKE THE BABY and Dragon Age Origin's Quick Look when it first dropped, which got me to buy the game actually. I do remember there was a show they had where they play old games - particularly Japanese games I think? - and just fuck around. I think it was just Ryan and Jeff?

So I guess I should just watch Best of Giant Bomb? I dunno?

Bacon

So the first Bombcast I listened to was the one about Methed Up Billy Idol. Wait, there's a video version too?

Um. Before this Bombcast and ER the only thing I saw from GB was...DON'T SHAKE THE BABY and Dragon Age Origin's Quick Look when it first dropped, which got me to buy the game actually. I do remember there was a show they had where they play old games - particularly Japanese games I think? - and just fuck around. I think it was just Ryan and Jeff?

Best of Giantbomb is definitely a good place to start. This is also a great list of funny quick looks (since I assume you don't yet have a premium subscription). You could also go back to watch the Person 4 endurance run or the Deadly Premonition endurance runs. The first Mario Party Party has been uploaded to their youtube channel to advertise their premium subscription, and that is a great video as well.

That should give you plenty of stuff to get you acquainted with the video side of things but there is also a fan of the Giant Bombcast that has created fantastic "best of" podcasts from the year 2008 - 2014. He unfortunately has been unable to continue with creating them so they end at 2014 but they are a great way to go back through the bombcast's history and all the changes that have occurred over the years without having to listen to every single episode. Those podcasts can be found hosted on this site.

Tubobutts

There's also the Beastcast which is the podcast with the East Coast people. So if you like the people in the ER that's the one.

I'm sorry, but before I answer any of those questions, I'm gonna need to know which Giant Bomb member you would want to be your dad.

I definitely recommend the Beastcast as well, that has Vinny, Alex, Jeff Bakalar (CNET) and sometimes guests. Dan will be there as well starting sometime near the end of the year/beginning of next year.

As far as videos, I assume you aren't a subscriber since you are just starting... if you feel like another endurance run both the Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition ER's are great. Note that they are pretty old by this point but yea. They have a free Mario Party Party to watch, a unprofessional friday and I think the first episode of Metal Gear Scanlon (the rest are all locked behind being a subscriber)? Other than that there has been some good Extra Life content (basically just marathon video game playing for Extra Life charity), and any quick looks of games you might be interested in.

If you want to search for anything in particular I highly recommend qlcrew.com, their search functionality is way better than the main sites.

Best of Giant Bomb videos are a great way to start too, highly recommend them.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

If you really want to enjoy GB leave this thread and never look back. It's too late for me but you might be able to still save yourself.

I'm sorry, but before I answer any of those questions, I'm gonna need to know which Giant Bomb member you would want to be your dad.

It has already begun. Run, run, RUN!

oti

Banned
Oh, so you have already seen everything the game has to offer.

Oh man. This bumms me out.

Get out now. You've already seen every mission type the game has to offer, and the story isn't worth pushing through the slog of missions.

I can see that it's a good game and I really wanted to experience that shocking ending. I managed to dance around all the spoilers somehow. But I'm not really having fun right now and I could be playing other games.

Afghanistan is worth playing through because of the terrain and the big base at the northern end of the map. You can create some really fun chaos.

The Africa map isn't half as good.

Just reached the Africa map and it's super boring.

Meneses

Oh man. This bumms me out.

I can see that it's a good game and I really wanted to experience that shocking ending. I managed to dance around all the spoilers somehow. But I'm not really having fun right now and I could be playing other games.

Just reached the Africa map and it's super boring.

If you're not having fun with the gameplay then it might be better to just move on, you're gonna have to play (and actually maybe even replay) a lot of missions to get to the ending so it will definitely become a chore if you're forcing yourself to stick with it.

oti

Banned
If you're not having fun with the gameplay then it might be better to just move on, you're gonna have to play (and actually maybe even replay) a lot of missions to get to the ending so it will definitely become a chore if you're forcing yourself to stick with it.

Wait what? Replay missions? Hell no. I'll just watch Drew's Walkthrough then I guess.

Not to mention the stylistic choice of having no spoken words from the characters means you have to do a lot of interpreting.
It took me a good minute and a half to figure out when the acid trip ended and we were back to actual events again. Or were we? The whole arrest and being in the local jail made absolutely no sense to me.

I wonder if anyone in the GB crew have played it. Curious to hear their thoughts.

Agreed.

I appreciate what they were going for with no dialogue or talking, but I just came out of the other end thinking I don't really want to play another game that does that. They wanted it to be all "look how much can be conveyed without any words!" but as it turns out the answer is "not much."

Jeff, Mr. G-Man.

So yeah, they very recently started providing a video version of the Bombcast that's live for premium users but also goes up for non-premiums as soon as the audio version does. Generally, you're not missing too much if you opt for the MP3.

There's no real regular show where they play old Japanese stuff, but there's plenty of retro streams on YouTube (there's a great 4 hour one where Jeff and Ryan play a batch of over 100 unmarked Japanese Famicom/Super Famicom games which may be the one you're thinking of), as well as the Old Games Show where they try to see as much of older video games as they can. Unfortunately, that feature is pretty much dead now. Possibly not as dead is Encyclopedia Bombastica, typically-solo videos where one of the duders shows off an old game they haven't played in a while.

The Best-Ofs are a great way to get caught up on some all-time great moments from the site, but if someone brings something up and you aren't familiar, don't be afraid to ask. As for the premium membership thing, I'd recommend you check out the premium features they released for free on YouTube, then consider a subscription based on how much you enjoy that stuff. If you end up biting bullet, Myggen (RIP) had a great list of must-see premium content. Demo Derby is generally the illest shit they put on the site, IMO.

Anyway, welcome to the thread.
Maybe keep the Shenmue stuff in the Gaming thread.

Mr. F

Banned
Holy crap when did I get to be 10 eps behind on Shenmue.

They updated the banner on their youtube channel. Shit's getting serious.

I almost want to take the 7 minutes and make a proper YouTube display picture with just the bomb and banner that isn't a wacky crop job. C'MON GUYS.

Top Bottom