• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

My hope is that Fallout 4 was an attempt to differentiate the Fallout and Elder Scrolls brands by making Fallout the goofy, mass-appeal open world shooter with leveling and crafting while Elder Scrolls focuses on being a deep, atmospheric open world WRPG.

I know this is not true but let me believe.

They seem to have taken some of the Fallout 4 complaints to heart, but we'll see.

They seem to have taken some of the Fallout 4 complaints to heart, but we'll see.
Even as someone who liked F4 a lot, I sure fuckin' hope so. A mainline TES game with a voiced protagonist would break my heart.

Not that we'll be seeing a new TES game until 2025, based on Pete Hines' recent comments. By then it'll probably be a FTP clicker you play on an eyemounted display.

justjim89

I think it was just an indication that what Fallout means to Bethesda is different than what it means to most fans. Fallout 4 shows that Bethesda sees Fallout as an aesthetic and a style more than anything else, and everything else is negotiable. Like, it's certainly not an RPG by any measure, but it's a fun open world shooter that I love getting lost in. It's like STALKER's cheerier cousin.

I played through Fallout 3 twice, for all of the complaints I had about it. They at least sorta tried to make a role playing game, even if the implementation was goofy or half baked so much of the time.

13 hours of Fallout 4 was enough for me. No desire to go back in the slightest. I honestly think it's a legitimately bad video game. Just thinking about nearly any aspect of it makes me angry. Going into it, I expected at least several dozen hours of mindlessly exploring and watching numbers go up a la Skyrim while I nerdily nitpicked stuff. It somehow managed to spectacularly fail to even meet those expectations.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Fallout 4 was like Quantum Break for me

This is a nothing game. This game illicits nothing from me. It feels sterile. And I play a lot of Ubisoft games. There's just nothing appealing here and it's not even like a bad game it's just nothing. It might as well not exist to me. I don't remember playing it and I don't remember wanting to play it.

Fallout 4 was like Quantum Break for me

This is a nothing game. This game illicits nothing from me. It feels sterile. And I play a lot of Ubisoft games. There's just nothing appealing here and it's not even like a bad game it's just nothing. It might as well not exist to me. I don't remember playing it and I don't remember wanting to play it.

Honestly forgot Quantum Break came out this year.

Since we talked about Patrick

He got me into this site. Back when PT came out I was looking for people playing it blind

Patty played it

I then subbed to watch the other spookin episodes

It's so fucking dull.

When I call Skyrim the world's best Scandinavian hiking simulator, that backhanded compliment is still a compliment. Nothing about it is particularly super interesting outside of the historical and political stuff that's been in every TES game, but you shoot the guys with arrows and loot the chests and 10 hours have gone away.

Fallout 4 is just mindlessly empty drudgery loosely wrapped around a core of pure irritation and hints of sheer contempt for the player. The improved combat is still bad, enemies popping out of windows or the ground is annoying considering they never stop chasing you, the progression is just making numbers slowly and steadily go up, making the junk "meaningful" by reducing the amount and making it all used in crafting just means you carry more junk because it could theoretically be used in the absolutely atrocious crafting menus and interface to make more numbers go up, the weapon customization means that Fallout is now, for some reason, a loot shooter with none of the gameplay or menu accommodations of a real loot game, they stripped out role playing by vastly constraining who your character could be, the being 200 years old thing is a pointless gimmick, Nick Valentine is the only character whose attempts at being quirkily endearing are decent instead of excruciatingly annoying, settlements are garbage, they butchered the dialogue system in a way that made the game feel hollow and half-complete given that talking to people was my Fallout Thing, everything looks like a pile of mud and trash covered with metal that looks like melting vinyl, almost all the quests end in walking to a place to shoot a room full of bad guys, despite dumbing everything the fuck down it's still buggy as hell, it all fucking sucks and I hate it and when it's too banal to hate it I just feel nothing toward its empty soulless attempts to constantly persuade me with overwrought string pieces and awful looking zeppelin scenes that somehow this is all epic and meaningful. Cool, you enter the vault, then the bombs go off, and ten minutes later it opens the vault with this grandiose pile of musical turds and dramatic lighting in a desperate attempt to be Iconic™, like we're all supposed to be awestruck that you copied Fallout 1's opening (again) by copying Fallout 3's opening but this time we know it looks exactly the same as what we just saw five minutes ago except now the neighborhood is brown and made out of dirt and lumber piles, because Bethesda's entire concept of Fallout is "what if you lived in the garbage of the 1950s, forever, isn't that neat"

Fuck to Fallout 4

It's so fucking dull.

When I call Skyrim the world's best Scandinavian hiking simulator, that backhanded compliment is still a compliment. Nothing about it is particularly super interesting outside of the historical and political stuff that's been in every TES game, but you shoot the guys with arrows and loot the chests and 10 hours have gone away.

Fallout 4 is just mindlessly empty drudgery loosely wrapped around a core of pure irritation and hints of sheer contempt for the player. The improved combat is still bad, enemies popping out of windows or the ground is annoying considering they never stop chasing you, the progression is just making numbers slowly and steadily go up, making the junk "meaningful" by reducing the amount and making it all used in crafting just means you carry more junk because it could theoretically be used in the absolutely atrocious crafting menus and interface to make more numbers go up, the weapon customization means that Fallout is now, for some reason, a loot shooter with none of the gameplay or menu accommodations of a real loot game, they stripped out role playing by vastly constraining who your character could be, the being 200 years old thing is a pointless gimmick, Nick Valentine is the only character whose attempts at being quirkily endearing are decent instead of excruciatingly annoying, settlements are garbage, they butchered the dialogue system in a way that made the game feel hollow and half-complete given that talking to people was my Fallout Thing, everything looks like a pile of mud and trash covered with metal that looks like melting vinyl, almost all the quests end in walking to a place to shoot a room full of bad guys, despite dumbing everything the fuck down it's still buggy as hell, it all fucking sucks and I hate it and when it's too banal to hate it I just feel nothing toward its empty soulless attempts to constantly persuade me with overwrought string pieces and awful looking zeppelin scenes that somehow this is all epic and meaningful. Cool, you enter the vault, then the bombs go off, and ten minutes later it opens the vault with this grandiose pile of musical turds and dramatic lighting in a desperate attempt to be Iconic™, like we're all supposed to be awestruck that you copied Fallout 1's opening (again) by copying Fallout 3's opening but this time we know it looks exactly the same as what we just saw five minutes ago except now the neighborhood is brown and made out of dirt and lumber piles, because Bethesda's entire concept of Fallout is "what if you lived in the garbage of the 1950s, forever, isn't that neat"

Fuck to Fallout 4

🙌

It's so fucking dull.

Fuck to Fallout 4

I like Fallout 4, but I can't say you're wrong.

The very early demos they did were on the Vive with the Vive controllers, complete with a pipboy on your left wrist and 1:1 shooting like you'd want.

Still, I'm trying not to get my hopes too high.

With teleportation or touchpad movement.

Here's a guy talking about his experience with it. Note that the footage is NOT from Fallout 4 VR.

It just seems to me like given the size of the world, movement would just be too tedious without something similar to a game pad, but maybe they'll figure out something to make it work.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Fallout 4 just feels so bland and lifeless.

Just realized I have both Yakuza 4 and 5 through PS+. Not sure if 4 is a good place to start the series or not.

I started with 4 and enjoyed it immensely. Haven't touched it in a while but I'm fairly sure there are videos that can get you up to speed in the menus.

jgminto

Just realized I have both Yakuza 4 and 5 through PS+. Not sure if 4 is a good place to start the series or not.
4 is probably the best starting point aside from the original. It has video recaps of the previous game as well, it was the last game in the series to include them.

justjim89

Just remake New Vegas with FO4's shootin and visual fidelity. That's all I really want.

I mean, you can already make New Vegas look pretty nice...

tumblr_oe4xyvSpxO1u5eu8ao1_1280.jpg

Although a recent Windows update has fucked up my ability to boot up my Tale of Two Wastelands save, and there's apparently no fix for it. Fucking PC gaming, I swear.

Strax

I can 100% understand why people don't like Fallout 4

but

The thing about what Jeff and Vinny were saying is that they were hoping Fallout 4 would be something nobody ever promised. I can understand that until the E3 trailer and Dan even calls them out on it. This was 100% the game they showed and at no point did that change. Jeff complaints are legit but they've been legit since Oblivion (haven't played the older games) but he could've just as easily said he was disappointed in Fallout 4 because it wasn't a new Maniac Mansion.

This was like test driving a used Nissan that clearly been around the block and buying it with hopes of it being a brand new Lexus.

Salarians

The only thing I really liked about FO4 were four or five of the companions and I was still left disappointed by them because they never actually do anything with them. I started a new character a few weeks back and made a beeline to one of my faves and, after recruiting him, I realized I was getting the exact same generic lines from him now as I did after 50 hours with him.

On top of that, one of the characters I initially liked (Danse) was completely botched by shitty writing. Mess of a game, especially compared to New Vegas' excellence in writing.

monday and fridays
Vicin' the AM?

It's so fucking dull.

Fuck to Fallout 4

I definitely prefer TES to FO. I think the locales are more appealing and attractive, the music is much more memorable, and I just think the scope of the games are much grander and more interesting. That's not to say, I dislike Fallout. I just like The Elder Scrolls much better. However, I will probably pass on the Special Edition (at least initially). I only have a PS4 (and my PC is not all that capable of running the game). Hearing that the game won't do mods on PS4 really took away my main reason to double dip on the game at release. Perhaps I'll get it when it goes on sale.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Complete sidenote here but is the VA for the assistant in FH3 the same as the Emerald Herald in Dark Souls 2?

I keep expecting her to say "seek souls" after I finish a race.

Zaph

I can 100% understand why people don't like Fallout 4

but

The thing about what Jeff and Vinny were saying is that they were hoping Fallout 4 would be something nobody ever promised. I can understand that until the E3 trailer and Dan even calls them out on it. This was 100% the game they showed and at no point did that change. Jeff complaints are legit but they've been legit since Oblivion (haven't played the older games) but he could've just as easily said he was disappointed in Fallout 4 because it wasn't a new Maniac Mansion.

This was like test driving a used Nissan that clearly been around the block and buying it with hopes of it being a brand new Lexus.

Terrible story
Meaningless dialogue and choices
Awful, erratic performance that becomes unplayable during set-pieces
Simplified mechanics, yet even more jank

These are all things Jeff should have expected "because bethesda" and he's wrong to think their flagship debut on current gen should be better? Should we expect a developer to promise such basic shit?

Joeku

I loathe both MGSV and Fallout 4 but I think if you mashed parts of those two games together and let Chris Avellone write it it would be the best game ever.

\
It just seems to me like given the size of the world, movement would just be too tedious without something similar to a game pad, but maybe they'll figure out something to make it work.
The Vive controllers have touchpads that work as well (better, I think) as analog sticks. The traditional gamepad is an anchor that VR games need to shed. That being said, I find that sort of movement detestable in VR, and will take teleportation any day despite it possibly unbalancing/breaking the game.
Stealth new Vice Gaming Podcast....I don't know who these guys are though.

https://vicegamingsnewpodcast.simplecast.fm/

Nice.

Top Bottom