• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Lunar FC

giphy.gif

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Dishonored is probably my favourite new IP of this boring generation, so I'm all in on Dishonored 2. Easily the best stealth game out there right now.

Dishonored continues to have an ugly art style and uninteresting gameplay.
Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad for having it! Next you're going to tell me new the Nidhogg game has a good art style.

I'm sort of worried I'm going to suffer from some burnout with Dishonored 2 and its exploration loop. I've played through Deus Ex: MD and Bioshock Inifinte+DLC in the last month and some of the wandering around in all three of those games is similar.

Johndoey

Banned
Dishonored's gameplay is feels pretty bad, especially the swordplay. Art-style is solid.

The lore is shockingly uninteresting outside of Granny and The Outsider.

Man the guys were really uncomfortable discussing the Palmer Luckey stuff on the Beastcast. I understand it's hard but they really missed the mark for me.

Johndoey

Banned
That tempura shrimp dude is living in constant godforsaken agony. It's the equivalent of dragging a person with 3rd degree burns across 90% of their body out to entertain children.

The squid kids are playing in war games man, war Games.

Shit is dark man.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a name for that weird puppet-y looking animation style on the characters in the Nidhogg 2 trailer?

I always mentally associate it with like cheap shitty flash animation or something.

Yes, thanks.
i think puppet or modular animation are the most common terms for it

http://danfessler.com/blog/thoughts-on-modular-animation
That's exactly the problem with it! I thought it#s called keyframe animation, but whatever. It reminds me of old Flash games and cheap mobile titles and I hate it with a passion. There have been decent games using it, of course, but nah. The first one had every frame drawn. It had stick figures, but they were well animated stick figures.

Dishonored continues to have a strong artstyle and okay gameplay hindered by an outdated morality system.

I've always completely disagreed with this. From a logic standpoint, it makes sense that if you're slaughtering hundreds of your own police and nobility in the process of taking back the throne, you're going to end up with an unstable regime. From a gameplay standpoint the only difference with killing everbody is that the game gives you more stuff to kill, in a game that is often derided for being too easy anyways. I much prefer a morality system like that which takes your actions throughout the game into account in a logical way, but I guess not being able to press A or B at the end of a 10 hour game to get your perfect ideal 1 minute ending cutscene choice (in a game where the story is not really that compelling anyways) was too much punishment for some people.

edit: That being said I am glad to see that the sequel is expanding non-lethal options, both in physical combat and in the non-lethal uses for all of Emily's powers.

God-tier.

Good pairing on the Dishonored vid, though I think that's going to be one of those games I'd love to play for the story/environment but will end up passing on due to the combat/gameplay mechanics. I think the Bioshock games just burnt me out on that style.
Why would Bioshock games burn you out on stealth games

Johndoey

Banned
Dishonored gave you more lethal options than non-lethal options while punishing you for using them. It was a poorly made, poorly implemented system, hell from what their saying even the studio knows that.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The punishment is like a 5 second difference in the ending. That doesn't invalidate like 14 great hours before that.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That doesn't make it a poorly made, poorly implemented system either. Both endings are decent anyway.

Top Bottom