• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeim

This is how it'll be for Patrick as well unless he goes all ranged/magic. You can't poise tank in Demon's Souls, so you actually need to learn how the game works if you want to melee.

hamchan

Ahaha Vinny's "thank god" at Brad finally beating the two sword skeleton and getting the falchion after he was hinting to go there the whole stream.

Demon's is harder than Dark especially for new players. half life in soul form and no bonfires for you.

I definitely don't share this opinion. They're both pretty difficult. DeS early game can be made significantly easier as a royal. While Brad was streaming, I decided to try the game again as a Royal and ended up doing 4-1, 1-2, and 2-1 for the first time while he was doing the stream. Soul Arrow makes the game much more manageable.

Taurus, Gargoyles, and Capra demon are all pretty decent challenges for a new player. Acquiring the Drake Sword can do something similar. Check out Patrick's Dark Souls stream and watch a new player take it on (without a drake sword).

Slurmer

Banned
I definitely don't share this opinion. They're both pretty difficult. DeS early game can be made significantly easier as a royal. While Brad was streaming, I decided to try the game again as a Royal and ended up doing 4-1, 1-2, and 2-1 for the first time while he was doing the stream. Soul Arrow makes the game much more manageable.

Taurus, Gargoyles, and Capra demon are all pretty decent challenges for a new player. Acquiring the Drake Sword can do something similar. Check out Patrick's Dark Souls stream and watch a new player take it on (without a drake sword).

Capra demon sure, but I don't agree on the other two. The fact that you can spawn npc allies makes some boss fights pretty easy in dark souls

kvothe

I'm a new premium subscriber. Is there a way to watch the most recent Demon's Soul stream? Or am I going to have to just wait?

M3z_

Demon's is harder than Dark especially for new players. half life in soul form and no bonfires for you.

This is bananas. I have put over 120hrs into Dark Souls, I am completely comfortable with all areas as far as knowing where to go and where enemies are and what enemies are capable of, and I still die more on any random Dark Souls playthrough than I did playing through Demon's Souls for the first time last week. I played most of my playthrough in human form in Demon's Souls because I almost never died until I hit the boss(that's without knowing anything about level design and not using a Wiki), and the majority of the deaths I did have were from level features like the Dragon on 4-4 or getting 1 shot by that big ass ball at the bottom of Latria because I had no clue what its melee attack was, falling off a cliff, and things like that.

I could see an argument that the game is harder for new players or at the very least more prone to breaking new players, but the actual difficulty I think is pretty far short of Dark Souls if you know how to play a Souls game. Also you can avoid some of the harder stuff because of it's level design. Like for example I played through most of the entire game including King Allant before I ever stepped foot in the Defilement archstone just by happenstance, and that ended up meaning I walked through that whole area on one life until I feel into the pit of fetus babies. Demon's Soul's might be a dirtier game in it's design, but things like being able to continue to attack an enemy after a backstab and Ward make it pretty easy to run over that game if you know how to play a Souls game.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
...things like being able to continue to attack an enemy after a backstab and Ward make it pretty easy to run over that game if you know how to play a Souls game.

I want that back. Why do they get to slam their ten meter tall swords into my useless corpse-to-be when I'm knocked down, but I don't get to return the favor?

M3z_

I want that back. Why do they get to slam their ten meter tall swords into my useless corpse-to-be when I'm knocked down, but I don't get to return the favor?

Coming from Dark Souls I literally laughed out loud when I realized I could keep attacking after a backstab. It's so OP you basically get a backstab and a free R2 attack or 2 R1's.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Nah. They're both about the same. They practically hand you the cling ring in 1-1 and you just completely wreck shit with magic in DeS. Not saying that you don't in Dark, but you could even more so in DeS.

At least for me, Ornstein and Smough were the hardest bosses but 5-2 is still the hardest level. God I hate that place with a passion.

LiK

Nah. They're both about the same. They practically hand you the cling ring in 1-1 and you just completely wreck shit with magic in DeS. Not saying that you don't in Dark, but you could even more so in DeS.

At least for me, Ornstein and Smough were the hardest bosses but 5-2 is still the hardest level. God I hate that place with a passion.

the Swamp in Demon's is never fun even after i replayed it multiple times in many NG+ games. Those giant goblin guys are the scariest enemies in any Souls game. I guess Tomb of the Giants is the equivalent.

to the rest of you guys who disagree, to each they're own. not gonna argue too much because the games are so flexible that we have our own takes on each game's difficulty.

Turnstyle

The invasion in part 2 of Breaking Brad was just heartbreaking.

I groaned so loudly I woke up my baby in the next room.

I hope crap like that doesn't put Brad off.

elfinke

I was really hoping part 3 of breaking brad would be up tonight. Didn't get to watch it live =/

Yah, same. Then again, I'm two podcasts behind, several Odetta adventures behind (though I saw the conclusion live) and catching up on Bombin' the A.M.'s as well, so I don't mind this delay all that much!

(still playing catch up from a busy Christmas and return to work period)

Kinda random but I have would like some help finding certain podcast. I recently started playing The Walking Dead on my Vita that I received from a gaffer. Is there an easy way to find which podcast they talked about episodes of the game an easy way?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
re: Breaking Brad 2

"I am expecting death and horribleness around every corner, but that's just because of the game's reputation and it's never actually that bad!"

and then "Nope, I won't go to Latria, I've read things"

C'mon.

2012 GOTY had a section called best walking dead episode of the year.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/giant-bomb-game-of-the-year-2012-day-two/1600-365/

Oooh didn't think of that. I do remember listening to that and not remember anything as I had no context to give it any thought. Thank you.

The only podcast I do remember is the group talking about the episode GARY WHITTA wrote. The episode I just finished. From what I remember they weren't to positive about it. but that's the only one I can think of. And I don't remember the date. Maybe looking at the chapter release dates and then reading that weeks episode show notes may work.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oooh didn't think of that. I do remember listening to that and not remember anything as I had no context to give it any thought. Thank you.

The only podcast I do remember is the group talking about the episode GARY WHITTA wrote. The episode I just finished. From what I remember they weren't to positive about it. but that's the only one I can think of. And I don't remember the date. Maybe looking at the chapter release dates and then reading that weeks episode show notes may work.

Yeah that's probably the way to do it. Though I remember them being pretty skittish on spoiling too much.

Brashnir

Did you even bother read my post or watch one of his videos?

I didn't want to give him hits, but I see. When you said, "pixelated," I didn't think you meant deliberately blurred, but simply lower quality, like what Jeff was getting out of his Vita on stream the other day.

statement redacted.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
re: Breaking Brad 2

"I am expecting death and horribleness around every corner, but that's just because of the game's reputation and it's never actually that bad!"

and then "Nope, I won't go to Latria, I've read things"

C'mon.

My first experience with Latria was horrendous. I think I sent the world into pure black from dying so much, because a primeval demon spawned in 3-2 when I finally got there.

His biggest obstacle will be the layout. Constantly chatting with Vinny might distract him enough that he loses track of where he is, where he's going and where he's been. It's not overly complicated, but you can easily get lost if you're experiencing it fresh and not fully concentrating. Of course, that will actually be super entertaining, so I'm looking forward to it :)

Yeah that's probably the way to do it. Though I remember them being pretty skittish on spoiling too much.

Was able to find two episodes with zombies in the titles. Plus the goty episode. A nice excuse to listen to older episodes is also nice. thank you for the help getting a starting point again.

And For some reason starting reading the episode descriptions on wikipedia. darn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom