• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Not really, if the Persona 5 announcement had been something like Persona 4-2 i would be extremely pissed though.
Agreed. I wouldn't a mind a 4-2 eventually though.

Why does a review lose its value a couple weeks after release?

Gotta hit that zeitgeist! I agree with you, it makes no sense but that's how this industry is. You have to get it out of the door ASAP so the hits keep coming.

Patryn

The amount of hits a review will get goes down dramatically the further you get from the release date. By the time 2-3 weeks have passed since release, you've approached the point that it's almost not even worth posting it, that's how many hits you're going to get.

strafer

Rush approved by Drew.

fL0lGiV.png

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Now if we could just get Ja Rule's opinion on it, then we'll truly know if it's worth seeing.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
I really would've enjoyed seeing Brad's Dark Souls build myself on UF. I started a new character a few days ago and have been going pure sorcerer. The tip page I'm following had me playing all out of order to get the crimson set and a maxed out magic weapon and unlock all the magic vendors. Things have been going a lot quicker and it's a pretty fun class to play as.

There's nothing particularly exotic about it -- gargoyle helmet, the rest elite knight gear, black knight shield, battle axe +5. Haven't upgraded the pyro glove yet since I'm barely using magic. I just got to Blighttown, and if anything, I sorta feel like I'm not finding much cool loot? I always see people talking about crazy-sounding gear in Dark Souls but I haven't encountered much of it. Maybe I'm just not there yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's nothing particularly exotic about it -- gargoyle helmet, the rest elite knight gear, black knight shield, battle axe +5. Haven't upgraded the pyro glove yet since I'm barely using magic. I just got to Blighttown, and if anything, I sorta feel like I'm not finding much cool loot? I always see people talking about crazy-sounding gear in Dark Souls but I haven't encountered much of it. Maybe I'm just not there yet.
Blighttown has the Iato, which is the first "katana"-like weapon if you have a dex build and like fast strikes. It's also where you get more advanced Pyromancies if you're going down that route.

FStop7

Banned
Is GB Unplugged a dead feature at this point? I guess with Ian leaving and it being so long since the last episode it would be hard to pick up again. Shame, I wanted to see what fate had in store for the Last Canadians.

That would suck considering it seemed to be extremely popular.

So it's confirmed that Time Cube guy listens to the Bombcast.

There's a ninja outfit, one of the best low req greatshields, caster outfit, wanderer class gear, two of the best large clubs in the game, Iato, probably more I can't remember right now. All of that is in Blighttown.

Is GB Unplugged a dead feature at this point? I guess with Ian leaving and it being so long since the last episode it would be hard to pick up again. Shame, I wanted to see what fate had in store for the Last Canadians.

People keep asking Rorie in the chat, it sounds like they want to make it happen it's just a matter of working around Dave and Ian's busy schedules.

popo

Blighttown has the Iato, which is the first "katana"-like weapon if you have a dex build and like fast strikes. It's also where you get more advanced Pyromancies if you're going down that route.

Unless you kill the merchant in undead burg ...

If Brad is using a great axe, I am guessing he is not a dex build.

popo

It certainly lowers traffic drive, from what i understand

Makes sense. The bulk of viewers skim reviews on day of release - or when the embargo ends - maybe read a couple all the way through to help make a purchasing decision. In an advertising led business, if you can't get it up day one then it is no longer a priority.

It isn't as important since page view advertising dropped off but it is still they way they do things and the way success tends to be measured.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Unless you kill the merchant in undead burg ...

If Brad is using a great axe, I am guessing he is not a dex build.
Why would you kill her?! She has the best Pyromancies and gives you the super Pyro glove.

Also, Jenn Frank! I'm sure all the ex-1up stuff is water under the bridge, but I still remember when Milke "trashed" her after the fact. Glad to know she's still writing in the field anyway.

popo

Why would you kill her?! She has the best Pyromancies and gives you the super Pyro glove.

nah, not that one. the first merchant you see in the game. He has nothing useful after the first couple of hours other than a key that you get anyway if you kill him for his sword.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
nah, not that one. the first merchant you see in the game. He has nothing useful after the first couple of hours other than a key that you get anyway if you kill him for his sword.
I don't remember that one...

---

You know, they spend like 20 minutes talking about The Castle Doctrine but don't actually talk about the game at all and how you even play it.

I mean, once you remove all the trappings, where the novelty lasts only for about as long as it takes for you to realize that murdering someone else's wife gives you half the money in a house, it becomes an interesting puzzle game where all the puzzles are made by other players.

Edit: maybe I'm terrible now, but I almost can see why people hate "new" game journalism because they literally don't talk about the game whatesoever. It really was just 20 minutes of "the game says so much about American society and games can be controversial and make you uncomfortable".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh god, I'm at the end of the Bombing episode and Jenn is... something else.

I mean, I loved her on Retronauts and her story about playing Atari with her dad is still one that I remember after all these years, but this episode was out there to say the least. lol

M3z_

Because it misses the opportunity to serve the initial mass of interested consumers and likely demands less views from their audience leading them to question why they did it in the first place.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
They should add an attribute to Rogue Legacy called Rouge Legacy with lots of kisses and pink cheeks and the like.

looking at those doppleganger images reminded me that if you told me Vinny in a wig used to moonlight as 1/3 of the Swedish House Mafia, i'd believe you.

281x211.jpg

Speaking of Rorie, I finally unfollowed him tonight on Twitter. 99% of his tweets are dog picture. His obsession with dogs is getting creepy.

I've hung out with Rorie before. I always thought it was kind of an act. Like his "thing". Kind of a joke or ironic.

Nope. Dude loves puppies. Legit talks to peoples dogs on the street. Babies too. It was definitely unique.

But he's a good guy so a bit of eccentricity isn't so bad.

Speaking of Rorie, I finally unfollowed him tonight on Twitter. 99% of his tweets are dog picture. His obsession with dogs is getting creepy.

If you loved dogs a whoooooooooole lot and couldn't have one in your apartment you'd probably be a little weird about it too.

Or maybe not, I don't know you

I've hung out with Rorie before. I always thought it was kind of an act. Like his "thing". Kind of a joke or ironic.

Nope. Dude loves puppies. Legit talks to peoples dogs on the street. Babies too. It was definitely unique.

But he's a good guy so a bit of eccentricity isn't so bad.

That's awesome. I always assumed that was somewhat forced.

Kelas

Just listening to last week's podcast now. I think Brad should stop caring so much about items in video games. I don't think I've ever played a game that allowed you to fuck up a playthrough by accidentally using a consumable you weren't supposed to use. Just use the damn things and if it turns out later that you need more of them, worry about them then!

Kerned

Banned
Just listening to last week's podcast now. I think Brad should stop caring so much about items in video games. I don't think I've ever played a game that allowed you to fuck up a playthrough by accidentally using a consumable you weren't supposed to use. Just use the damn things and if it turns out later that you need more of them, worry about them then!

From what I've seen of Brad playing games over the years, I gather that he's just a naturally conservative player. You can say he should relax about certain things, like item hoarding, and a lot of times during quick looks or Breaking Brads I would agree with you, but I think that's just how Brad rolls. He's super cautious, and in that regard he is sort of the anti-Vinny (which, incidentally, makes them the perfect pairing for Demon's Souls).

Kelas

From what I've seen of Brad playing games over the years, I gather that he's just a naturally conservative player. You can say he should relax about certain things, like item hoarding, and a lot of times during quick looks or Breaking Brads I would agree with you, but I think that's just how Brad rolls. He's super cautious, and in that regard he is sort of the anti-Vinny (which, incidentally, makes them the perfect pairing for Demon's Souls).

Sure, and he's of course entitled to play any game any way he chooses or feels comfortable with. However, I used to squirrel away all kinds of items in games before realising I usually ended up never using them and ultimately impeded my progress in the game or had less fun because of it. I just think he or anyone else would have a better time with some games if they embraced the use of items the game gives you. I'm not suggesting frivolous squandering of items just for the hell of it, but holding on to items that are presently useful, because you think they might have a use in the future is almost always a bad strategy. Chances are, if you need an item later on in the game, there'll be a way to acquire more. The most important part of a playthrough is the point you are currently at, so focus on that and give yourself all the benefit you can at that point.

I'm trying to be vague so as not to be construed as directly telling someone how to play a certain game. I'm just a little worried that Brad will stop enjoying his Demon's Souls run if he (unwittingly) hampers his own progress. For example (Demon's Souls hint, so spoilered):
if he holds onto upgrade materials in DeS for fear of "wasting them", or to use them on better gear that doesn't exist, he'll absolutely hit a brick wall in terms of the damage he's dealing to enemies. I'm pretty sure he's already found the Uchigatana that can be upgraded with the shards and chunks of sharpstone those shield-blobs drop at the start of 1-2. That sword, upgraded, could handily see him through the entire game, but if he just compares starting damage to what he already has equipped, or thinks there might be something better down the road, he might disregard it entirely.

Again, not trying to tell Brad or anyone that they're playing a game wrong at all. I just think if they eased up a bit on item use, they'll naturally open up to the mechanics of a game, and find the game more enjoyable overall.

DaBuddaDa

If you don't complete all JRPGs without hoarding 99 of every possible consumable item in your inventory and never using them, you're doing it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom