• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Isn't that his 6th startup?
The SF model is to make a product that people might want and hope someone bigger buys you out. lol

Although I feel like GamePro and CBSi were probably stopgap jobs for him. He probably saw the writing on the wall at both places.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Of course Brad immediately damage controls the differences in Tomb Raider. Never forget him insisting the consoles would be exactly the same during the PS4 reveal video.

Of course some console warrior gets angry that I didn't prostrate myself before the might of his favorite game machine that happens to be less powerful than my mildly outdated PC. Sorry that saying the PS4 version is the one to get, but also being realistic about its shortcomings, wasn't enough for you?

The game is nowhere near a steady 60fps (it rarely is when there's any real action or background complexity from what I've played, and the DF numbers bear this out) and the hard swings can be distracting. If you want to get on a high horse about frame rates and resolutions, you're backing the wrong horse.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
FWIW, I read the DF article and was legitimately shocked neither version was a constant 60fps. I don't know what type of wizardry or psionics makes a videogame go, but I don't see how anyone would be anything other than disappointed to mildly-offended their newfangled console doesn't play a last gen game at 60fps. I just think thats bananas. To be fair it seems like the issue is the port and not which console is more powerful. But still.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
FWIW, I read the DF article and was legitimately shocked neither version was a constant 60fps. I don't know what type of wizardry or psionics makes a videogame go, but I don't see how anyone would be anything other than disappointed to mildly-offended their newfangled console doesn't play a last gen game at 60fps. I just think thats bananas. To be fair it seems like the issue is the port and not which console is more powerful. But still.

To be be fair, it's pretty much the PC version (which is tough to get constant 60) on ultra with some tweaked Tressfx.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. Does the PC version really have a reputation for framerate problems? I was actually contemplating picking this game up soon.
I have a pretty beefy rig so I'm not too worried.

Hmm. Does the PC version really have a reputation for framerate problems? I was actually contemplating picking this game up soon.

Tressfx isn't very well optimized for Nvidia cards. I have a GTX670 and i53570K and with Tressfx on and with everything else(including tessellation) at max I get about 50 FPS on average. Steady 60 FPS with the hair turned off. It seems the console versions have slightly less stands but it still looks nice.

Edit: Keep in mind that's with FXAA, not SSAA

Lunzio

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ahh, its the fancy hair problem! I wasn't gonna turn that on anyway.

I've got a 3770k and a gtx680.

Lingitiz

I don't think the minor graphical improvements on the PS4 version are worth shelling out 60 bucks. The PC version is fine. It's not the most optimized game out there but it gets the job done. You can find it for under 10 bucks I'm sure so there's not much to lose.

Zaph

Patrick triumphantly tweeting about his response to a random troll Tumblr question is a bit bizarre.

http://patrickklepek.tumblr.com/pos...oving-how-you-manage-to-keep-finding-the-very

It's like when people retweet and argue with a Twitter account named Jimmies R Rustled or some shit. Ignore the trolls.
He's been taking a stance on not ignoring trolls for quite a while, as he believes it's the equivalent of ignoring a problem hoping it'll go away. His TEDx talk was heavily focused on it.

Definitely appreciate the sentiment, but I think it's important to differentiate worthwhile targets like the couple who were jailed for rape threats or industry discrimination/harassment (IndieStatik etc), compared to idiotic, anonymous posts who's sole purpose is to get attention and aggravate.

AColdDay

He's been taking a stance on not ignoring trolls for quite a while, as he believes it's the equivalent of ignoring a problem hoping it'll go away. His TEDx talk was heavily focused on it.

Definitely appreciate the sentiment, but I think it's important to differentiate worthwhile targets like the couple who were jailed for rape threats or industry discrimination/harassment (IndieStatik etc), compared to idiotic, anonymous posts who's sole purpose is to get attention and aggravate.

I love Patrick to death, but I feel he engages the trolls a little too often. I sent him a tumblr comment a while back asking him to highlight the purely positive tumblr comments/questions as much as the ridiculous negative ones.

My logic is that if you reward positivity as much as negativity, people won't feel the need to be jerks in order to get attention.

Oh well, he is still a great dude!

def sim

I'm getting an average of 55 frames per second using the benchmark. Each visual settings have varying levels and I have everything at their absolute highest except for anti-aliasing. I used FXAA rather than super sampling. With each level of SSAA, it brings down the average by 10 frames. Lowest going to 35. Without TressFX, the game is no problem at all.

I've heard the definitive edition uses FXAA, a lesser form of TressFX, does not have tessellation, and uses a low setting for AO and shadows. Taking that in mind and applying it to my settings gets me 60, though I obviously can't lower the TressFX setting. It's all or nothing on the PC version. Maybe when they eventually bring DE to the PC at the end of the year or the next we'll see the tweaked version as an option.

3570k @ 4.6GHz 7970GE 1135/1600 for perspective.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What brand hoody is jeff wearing in the thumbnail for that new mailbag vid?
It looks like it has zippered pockets and two distinct accent colors. Looks really nice.

strafer

Am1luPw.png

justjim89

Ugh, that mailbag was great but the styrofoam sounds makes me flinch. It's just so bothersome. Makes me wanna take a warm bath.

Damn you Caravella!

Of course some console warrior gets angry that I didn't prostrate myself before the might of his favorite game machine that happens to be less powerful than my mildly outdated PC. Sorry that saying the PS4 version is the one to get, but also being realistic about its shortcomings, wasn't enough for you?

The game is nowhere near a steady 60fps (it rarely is when there's any real action or background complexity from what I've played, and the DF numbers bear this out) and the hard swings can be distracting. If you want to get on a high horse about frame rates and resolutions, you're backing the wrong horse.

You're complaining about something that is prevalent in nearly all PC games (unlocked framerates with "hard swings"). Also, nice job pulling the old "console warrior" deflection and then getting all passive-agressive pc elitist on us.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wait, we're complaining about how brad talked about the TR stuff now?

All he did was say that PS4 had better framerate with slight dips, and 30fps is still playable, which is not exactly a controversial position.

justjim89

Ugh, I thought this nonsensical console war pissing contest, and all the needless reactionary fingerpointing that goes with it, was over when both consoles turned out to be underwhelming.

Guess not.

Ugh, I thought this nonsensical console war pissing contest, and all the needless reactionary fingerpointing that goes with it, was over when both consoles turned out to be underwhelming.

Guess not.

Now you just opened another can of worms. This war will continue till the end of mankind!

LifEndz

It must be really really good to be in MS' good graces because all these guys seem really hesitant to say anything critical of the X1 versions of a multiplat game. Brad: "If you have a choice you should probably maybe basically kinda possibly choose the PS4 version."

Risible

Brad, you know better than to get your jimmies rustled by these guys :). When it comes to machine power comparisons people get fucking bonkers, just ignore them.

In lighter news, thanks as always for the Bombcast, always makes my week.

edit: Derp, just read further and saw the dude got banned already.

I thought the TR quick look did a good job showing how the framerate dropped on the PS4 version when there was a lot of geometry on screen. Just goes to show that neither version is perfect.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever, that sweatshirt has too many seams anyway.

Curufinwe

Guess not.

You would needed to have had a very low level of technical knowledge to have expected more power in a $400 box than what Sony delivered with the PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom