• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't see any digital camo? It was just the sort of grey/pigment static cloud all good hoodies have.

Mr. F

Banned
Catching up on UPF from the week before last, I was hyped on Sports Friends but immediately let down when I saw that pre-orders were closed. Hopefully they're on track for Q1 2014 as the site suggests, looks like a blast.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
According to tumblr that sweatshirt it is an Adidas one. Weird.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I don't wish to bring up something unsavoury but I was looking for that Iwata Wiimote Seppuku comic that Patrick posted, then deleted, and couldn't find the posts about it in this thread. Did they get deleted?

Curufinwe

Brad and Vinny were dead on in the TR quick look. The gruesome death scenes did not fit the more serious/realistic tone of the reboot, and keeping Lara in a tank top the whole time despite the rain and cold was just to keep her boobs on display. The first thing Lara would have done is take a jacket from one of the guys she killed.

And it's always a relief to hear American games media pronounce Lara's name correctly.

I might be behind the times, but did they ever say if Thursday Night Throwdown was coming back?

I really hope they do a EDF: 2025 quick look, that game is ripe with comedy potential.

Zaph

Brad and Vinny were dead on in the TR quick look. The gruesome death scenes did not fit the more serious/realistic tone of the reboot, and keeping Lara in a tank top the whole time despite the rain and cold was just to keep her boobs on display. The first thing Lara would have done is take a jacket from one of the guys she killed.

And it's always a relief to hear American games media pronounce Lara's name correctly.
Yup, I surprised myself by how much I enjoyed the TR reboot, but it could have been so much better had they committed to realism and survival.

The start of the game was so good, and it set the survival tone so well, that I immediately put on the bomber jacket and never took it off. In my mind, I thought it might somehow be integral to the gameplay (like a test for the player) and totally forgot it was a pre-order bonus.

Even though it's part of TR lore, I'd love it if they'd completely removed the
fantasy/mystical
elements, especially towards the end of the game.

I might be behind the times, but did they ever say if Thursday Night Throwdown was coming back?

I really hope they do a EDF: 2025 quick look, that game is ripe with comedy potential.

Jeff stated they were planning to kill it for a very long time before they finally did. It honestly felt like "Ryan's show" for awhile, too. Jeff wants to fill the void with different types of content, which we've been getting like LOLS and Pathfinder.

theytookourjobz

Totally agree. I died on that river sequence a few times and the gruesome death scenes really took me out of it. If immersion and realism was something they were going for, those scenes accomplished the opposite.

kylej

Banned
The gruesome death scenes did not fit the more serious/realistic tone of the reboot, and keeping Lara in a tank top the whole time despite the rain and cold was just to keep her boobs on display. The first thing Lara would have done is take a jacket from one of the guys she killed.

Eh? It's a tropical island. When it gets cold and snowy she grabs a jacket iirc, then takes it off again when it's warm.

Totally agree. I died on that river sequence a few times and the gruesome death scenes really took me out of it. If immersion and realism was something they were going for, those scenes accomplished the opposite.

Probably the worst part of the game, too. Controls like absolute shit and isn't very forgiving. Hopefully, that type of crap will be improved or removed in the followup.

popo

This just came out on steam. Only $15. I would love to see Vinny and Drew have a go.

2596065-car.jpg

I don't wish to bring up something unsavoury but I was looking for that Iwata Wiimote Seppuku comic that Patrick posted, then deleted, and couldn't find the posts about it in this thread. Did they get deleted?

A couple of people replied that it was racist so Pat caved and deleted the tweet. Even though It was unfunny and mildly stereotypical at worst.

Eh, Okinawa and a few other islands can get somewhat tropical, though not technically of course.

I know what you are saying but "tropical" has a specific meaning. Sun tropics maybe. Although they play so fast and loose with the vegetation and climate that you could argue this "magic mystery island" is just about anywhere.

Alfredo

I didn't have a problem with the death scenes and violence in Tomb Raider. I came away from them thinking that they're in the game to further discourage you from failing. You don't want to get a game over because you don't want to see another gruesome death.

Though I will concede that the river death is a bit unfair and is really hard to avoid. I feel like pretty much everyone is going to get that one their first time, even if you already know about it beforehand.

I think the only other times I really died was missing jumps in the rocky waters, which just show canned animations of Lara hitting her head against a rock underwater and dying. Not really that gruesome.

Also, that Castle Doctrine game looks hella unfun. :/

RaikuHebi

Banned
A couple of people replied that it was racist so Pat caved and deleted the tweet. Even though It was unfunny and mildly stereotypical at worst.
Oh yeah I saw all of that. I meant that were the posts about it in this thread deleted. I wanted to post it in the thread about Nintendo lowering their boardmembers pay but I couldn't find the posts.

popo

Oh yeah I saw all of that. I meant that were the posts about it in this thread deleted. I wanted to post it in the thread about Nintendo lowering their boardmembers pay but I couldn't find the posts.

hmm, yeah, looks like they are gone. dunno. weird.

Shosai

Banned

Yes! Someone else remembers! I thought I was going crazy when I came back and saw a couple hours worth of posts had just vanished. That I didn't just dream it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Castle Doctrine looks really fun. I had no idea the it was turn/step based. The way that is done is super awesome.

Castle Doctrine looks like it would be really easy to abuse and make an arbitrary, very specific sequence you'd need to follow to get through, kinda like what Vinny was planning.

Oh, those posts. I was considering deleting them for a moment because Patrick deleted his tweet and it felt like it could possibly lead to ugly things, but then I decided against it because it felt like a non-issue overall, but then I had to delete some, uh, other posts in another thread and I guess the ones in this thread were still marked and got deleted too.

Whoops!

Haunted

Oh, those posts. I was considering deleting them for a moment because Patrick deleted his tweet and it felt like it could possibly lead to ugly things, but then I decided against it because it felt like a non-issue overall, but then I had to delete some, uh, other posts in another thread and I guess the ones in this thread were still marked and got deleted too.

Whoops!
Oh, what a convenient excuse.

what happened to you emcee youre just not the same since your name changed colour

collusion!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Castle Doctrine looks like it would be really easy to abuse and make an arbitrary, very specific sequence you'd need to follow to get through, kinda like what Vinny was planning.

I expect theres quite a bit emergent depth we haven't just seen yet. Remember there are loads and loads of tools, I'm sure its quite easy to fuck with some guy's clockwork mechanism.

Whoops!

We knew this would start happening :(

Get out of here, Denton!

I expect theres quite a bit emergent depth we haven't just seen yet. Remember there are loads and loads of tools, I'm sure its quite easy to fuck with some guy's clockwork mechanism.

The tools can change it a bit, but it's still going to take a lot of guesswork to get through some of them.I'm not quite sure how the lockouts work.. Vinny died at a house and wasn't able to try that same house again, but will he ever be able to or is it just temporary?

That is definitely a strategy. In my house last night, I had what i thought was a really good design filled with false exits and traps, and some guy with bricks and water bottles brute-forced his way through it and stole all of my money. It was some high level playing, but it was really neat to watch him get through EVERYTHING with relative ease, and in ways I've not seen anyone else attempt my house. It certainly gave me some more ideas on how to fortify, but once you have a good layout, it is almost never worth starting over (unless you want your wife and kids alive... I've given up trying to save them since the game, sadly, doesn't give much use to them).

The one thing I wish the game did is tell you who you are. I'd like to give my name to people to have them try and rob me, but there's no way to do that. Also, I find the pixel art to be crude, and not in an endearing way; it's very amateurish and ugly, not utilitarian or whatever I'm sure the creator intended.

Also, it'd be cool if on Unprofessional Friday, or rather today for preparation, Vinny spends some time making a house (off camera. we don't need to see him make it) and then lets it sit on the server overnight, and then on the show they can go through the security tapes to see if anyone beats it, dies, or whatever. The fun I have with the game now is watching the tapes of people running my house.

Castle Doctrine reminds me of Quest for Epic Loot that Ubisoft has on early access. I think i prefer the diablo-esque gameplay of Epic Loot, though.

TraBuch

Banned
Anyone around level 125 on the PS3 version of Dark Souls happen to have three Red Titanite Chunks, two Red Titanite Slabs, and one White Titanite Slab they'd be willing to trade with me?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The tools can change it a bit, but it's still going to take a lot of guesswork to get through some of them.I'm not quite sure how the lockouts work.. Vinny died at a house and wasn't able to try that same house again, but will he ever be able to or is it just temporary?

I think tools can change a lot, and like they said nobody really knows what to do with them yet. The game seems to have a very defined set of checks and balances so I have no doubt that after you spend a few weeks with the game it will be entirely deterministic problem solving and not "guess work."

But who knows, I haven't played it. And yes, I see no reason why he couldn't go back and rob the same house. Though in the quicklook it says something to effect of "this house gives you chills, you leave discretely" or something when he tries to re-enter a house.

To me the game comes off like a board game, to be honest.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think tools can change a lot, and like they said nobody really knows what to do with them yet. The game seems to have a very defined set of checks and balances so I have no doubt that after you spend a few weeks with the game it will be entirely deterministic problem solving and not "guess work."

But who knows, I haven't played it. And yes, I see no reason why he couldn't go back and rob the same house. Though in the quicklook it says something to effect of "this house gives you chills, you leave discretely" or something when he tries to re-enter a house.

To me the game comes off like a board game, to be honest.

There's a lot that's different from when I looked up the game in the alpha. I think the lock out is to prevent people from brute forcing the same house, since before, you could just keep trying again and again and eventually just either destroy all the defenses or memorize the correct route.

I also noticed that they made the tools cost WAY more than they used to. Before you could go into a house fully stocked with tools and it looks like now you're lucky if you bring in something with you.

So I think the strategy becomes two fold when you start - do you go all in with tools and then hope you can rob your way to better gear, or do you go all in with your house and hope people keep failing and therefore leaving their tools behind when they die.

O more Breaking Brad in 2 hours. Here's hoping they make a bit more progress today, pretty sure Vinny wanted to tear his hair out by the end of the last segment

Tucah

you speak so well
A couple new things on the schedule - Daily Dota on Friday and a Let's Talk Dark Souls II Live Show tomorrow.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I have that Interview Dumptruck song stuck in my head, and I want it out, now.

A couple new things on the schedule - Daily Dota on Friday and a Let's Talk Dark Souls II Live Show tomorrow.

Let's talk Dark Souls II? That sounds great!

Octodad Quick Look, too, that one's going to be funny. If not, GB is officially the worst site on the internet. I expect Vinny playing with both Brad and Jeff commenting.

I wonder what Let's Talk Dark Souls 2 will be like ? Do they have new information on the game or are they just going to converse with it as its subject ?

KarmaCow

I wonder what Let's Talk Dark Souls 2 will be like ? Do they have new information on the game or are they just going to converse with it as its subject ?

It sounds like the Bamco is inviting the press to start talking about the game again so maybe it's a live "I Saw That".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom