• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. F

Banned
Wish I shared the patience to get into Dota 2, the excitement people have for that game is infectious. I'll just settle for Souls games. Those and Dota give me the same ongoing zeitgeist feel from their respective enthusiastic communities, but I know it's kind of an apples and oranges comparison in terms of the games themselves.

FStop7

Banned
Thanks for watching, guys. That match is a good example of why I think Dota 2 is one of the best games ever made. Very few other games can give you chills, goosebumps, and shaking hands due to nothing but their gameplay mechanics like that match did. Dota 2 is probably the most rewarding game I've ever played because you never feel like you aren't learning and getting better the more you play.

Windjammers

The thrill of the disc

Zaph

For those interested, I wrote a quick script to scrape Jeff's Mixlr page into a podcast feed: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12510157/jeffmixlr.xml

A couple (major) caveats:
1. The XML is very barebones, and might throw up errors in some players. I've tested it in Downcast (iOS app) and its working fine.
2. This is a biggie: Mixlr protects their MP3's, so I can't get direct access without capturing the stream and rehosting. The only alternative was to use their M3U8 files, which are AAC streams. So your podcast player will need to support streaming and you won't be able to download the files. Lame, I know.

hamchan

Thanks for watching, guys. That match is a good example of why I think Dota 2 is one of the best games ever made. Very few other games can give you chills, goosebumps, and shaking hands due to nothing but their gameplay mechanics like that match did. Dota 2 is probably the most rewarding game I've ever played because you never feel like you aren't learning and getting better the more you play.

It's been an enjoyable ride to watching you continuously get better at the game. It's really one of the most satisfying games ever. Especially when you've been playing for a while and then revisit your old replays from when you just started. It's crazy how many mistakes you can spot your old self doing.

Mr. F

Banned
For those interested, I wrote a quick script to scrape Jeff's Mixlr page into a podcast feed: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12510157/jeffmixlr.xml

1. The XML is very barebones, and might throw up errors in some players. I've tested it in Downcast (iOS app) and its working fine.
2. This is a biggie: Mixlr protects their MP3's, so I can't get direct access without capturing the stream and rehosting. The only alternative was to use their M3U8 files, which are AAC streams. So your podcast player will need to support streaming and you won't be able to download the files. Lame, I know.

This is awesome. Streaming is better than nothing, thanks man.

tm24

This is awesome. What day was it that they crossed streams with Spelunkin?

Thanks for streaming early (both this and the Dark Souls 2 stream), as a European I really appreciate that! The only problem with watching someone play Dota 2 is that it really makes me want to start playing again.

2596979-merrychristmaspr.png

In what world is that supposed to be a salute, Jeff?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
From Jeff's tumblr
There's a thread on GAF and they are speculating that Giant Bomb is in danger of disappearing/that the website hasn't been doing well lately. I know it's GAF and they are usually full of shit but I'm still a little worried and I don't really follow the business side of the website. Is there any veracity to their claims or is this just GAF being GAF?

Wait, a message board thread is speculating about things they don’t actually know anything about? Weird.

Here’s the short version: If I didn’t still think that there was a way for us to create the content we want to create and grow into something bigger and cooler, I would have left last year.

I’m tempted to leave it at that since forum junk like that typically doesn’t warrant an answer, but the site’s actually doing really well. Just kinda slogging through the process of getting budget shit locked down and putting a proper “let’s actually get some more people in here because this is completely ridiculous” plan together. It’s taken forever to get to this point but it seems like everyone is finally in basic agreement about pushing a reasonably-sized pile of money my way and letting me spend it on humans.

We should get that new video player pushed out next week, and that comes with a larger code merge that’ll make it easier for engineers to actually add new features to the site. We’re talking about finding better ways to showcase premium videos as one of the early things we’d like to change, and the wiki needs some additional attention (but that’s a larger, more difficult project). We’ll start messing around with mid-roll video ads in the near future, but it looks like we’re going to eventually remove ads for monthly members, too. It’s sort of a careful balancing act between bringing money in so we can continue to afford additional hires without making the site look like garbage or putting 100% of our stuff behind a paywall. The podcast ads seem to be doing especially well. I’d like to bring back a free, regular live show at some point.

We’re also talking about road trips and tours and bringing back the Big Live Live Show and a bunch of other wild shit, but that’s all further off, just kinda kicking ideas around at the moment.
Which thread is this guy referring to? Can't find it

It’s taken forever to get to this point but it seems like everyone is finally in basic agreement about pushing a reasonably-sized pile of money my way and letting me spend it on humans.
About damn time! Great to have Jeff talk a bit about the state of the site, even if the question itself was a bit silly.

big_z

man I hope they get the budget figured out so jeff green can start before dark souls 2 comes out. vinny + green dark souls 2 endurance run for premium content.

popo

yeah, anon guy on tumblr shit stirring. There will always be a few people predicting the worst but nothing like that guy claimed.

Nice to see a positive 'state of the union' from Jeff, even though we have heard it before. This time though, I want to believe (cue x-files theme).

man I hope they get the budget figured out so jeff green can start before dark souls 2 comes out. vinny + green dark souls 2 endurance run for premium content.

Jeff G already started another job, although he was been strangely coy about where, so I am going to assume either Kink or Brazzers.

megalowho

Chiming in to say that first Daily Dota match was probably the best one in that shows history. Amazing comeback and final push, sounded like everyone just finished having mind blowing sex after it was over.

Zoggy

idk man on UPF that ty guy had to kneel on one knee when he was telling brad about the game instead of using a chair.

its fairly obvious that GB's budget is being cut and their taking office stuff away like chairs and stuff.

and of course jeff would lie about it and say everythings fine, he doesn't want to discourage any people from subscribing

komplanen

Jeff has been driving to work with Dave a lot these past days. I bet it's because he's dropping Dave to the new offices where Jeff and crew will join him in a few months to start their new gaming site.

spiritfox

Chiming in to say that first Daily Dota match was probably the best one in that shows history. Amazing comeback and final push, sounded like everyone just finished having mind blowing sex after it was over.

I had a game recently with a similar ending, and yes it was like sex.

Also when you do so well that the enemy ragequits.

chogidogs

I wish they'd invite more people over for UPF. Having Danny and Alexis over this week made me realize how lonely the last 2 were compared to when Ryan and Patrick were around. You know? Full couch and all.

Khezu

Breaking Brad and Load our Last save are cool, but they don't really replace the ER for me.

What I liked about the ER was that it was consistent daily content, and it was usually always entertaining. It was something I looked forward to every day.

Though I think P4 was the absolute perfect game for them to play, it was long, weird, had entertaining cutscenes with VO, and being turn based allowed them to be relatively chill through out the encounters.

I'm not sure any other game could live up to P4.

I wish they'd invite more people over for UPF. Having Danny and Alexis over this week made me realize how lonely the last 2 were compared to when Ryan and Patrick were around. You know? Full couch and all.

hire more people, fill that couch! get that jared rea guy in there (according to twitter he's starting whatever his new job is in early february, hmmm?)

I know he doesn't have to but it sets my mind at ease about the future of GB, after Ryans death I was worried because everything has ground to a halt with endless meetings and offhand comments by the guys in videos.

mattp

idk man on UPF that ty guy had to kneel on one knee when he was telling brad about the game instead of using a chair.

its fairly obvious that GB's budget is being cut and their taking office stuff away like chairs and stuff.

and of course jeff would lie about it and say everythings fine, he doesn't want to discourage any people from subscribing
this is a joke, right?

Mr. F

Banned

All part of the plan. #chemtrails #wakeupsheeple

Curufinwe

Breaking Brad and Load our Last save are cool, but they don't really replace the ER for me.

What I liked about the ER was that it was consistent daily content, and it was usually always entertaining. It was something I looked forward to every day.

Though I think P4 was the absolute perfect game for them to play, it was long, weird, had entertaining cutscenes with VO, and being turn based allowed them to be relatively chill through out the encounters.

I'm not sure any other game could live up to P4.

Brad stopped playing P4G on his Vita because he will be eventually do an Endurance Run at the office using the VitaTV.
Not really

jmood88

I hope that never happens. The Dark/Demon Souls stuff is bad enough as it is.

OMG Aero

I wish they'd mix up the game selection for UPF, maybe play some recent console or games or something.
Like when Vinny was playing through Castlevania a while back that was fun to watch, but the game line up for UPF now pretty much always consists of recent indie PC game, an old PC game, a bad PC game they play for laughs, a simulator, and then it's wrapped up with a competitive two player multiplayer game that was almost exclusively Windjammers but now it's Nidhogg.
It'd be nice to mix this up a little and throw in a Wii, 360, PS3, Xbone or PS4 game. Hell, even a 3DS game since they've done that on UPF before.

Jeff has been driving to work with Dave a lot these past days. I bet it's because he's dropping Dave to the new offices where Jeff and crew will join him in a few months to start their new gaming site.

Dave has been working out of the Tested offices. I don't think Jamie and Adam are that into games.

I heard giant bomb will get six more months if the groundhog sees his shadow.

komplanen

He's not working for Tested, just out of their offices, similar to how Patrick is working out of the CAH offices, but for GB.

I figured as much. It's just that I can't stand those guys and I would never be able to work with them around myself. But I understand Dave must not feel that way :)

I wish there was more Flight Club on Giant Bomb. Wouldn't miss Dave for it but I want Vinny and Drew to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom