• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Watching the Audiosurf2 unfinished made me realize that deep down all this time I've just never liked Audiosurf. All the stuff they added seemed like pretty neat additions and the breadth of the workshop stuff was surprising to me but in the end it looked a bad time. Then I was thinking back to everytime I've played Audiosurf and thought to myself "Wow, I just do not like that game. At all."

popo

Dave has been working out of the Tested offices. I don't think Jamie and Adam are that into games.

Jamie looks like he might, a hardcore ww2 tank sim or something, Adam would only play a mythbusters game starring himself while Will and Norm showered him with platitudes about his performance.

Jamie looks like he might, a hardcore ww2 tank sim or something, Adam would only play a mythbusters game starring himself while Will and Norm showered him with platitudes about his performance.

Inside Adam Savage's Man Cave: Adam Savage Plays The Adam Savage Video Game!

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Oh my lord. Is that tumblr guy asking a question because someone made an obvious joke like a page back? Is tumblr guy a member here? It begs the question: why is tumblr guy reading a thread on here if he thinks "[GAF] are usually full of shit". tumblr guy, you so crazy.

M3z_

Oh my lord. Is that tumblr guy asking a question because someone made an obvious joke like a page back? Is tumblr guy a member here? It begs the question: why is tumblr guy reading a thread on here if he thinks "[GAF] are usually full of shit". tumblr guy, you so crazy.

Who cares one way or another, really.

My only memory of Audiosurf is playing it for an achievement during that stupid potato sack campaign. The new one seems to be the exact same game but with mods.

Patryn

Again, likely wasn't this thread, but the one about defunct review sites that had a bunch of people swearing GB would be shut down within a year.

Mr. F

Banned
Yeah, I found playing the original just tedious.

Anything above mono on the original was just incomprehensible and more frustrating than fun. Way too much going on, but maybe that's just me.

I'm not sure the concept holds up a second time around, the new mode with the tricking looks just as frustrating and random.

Wish I shared the patience to get into Dota 2, the excitement people have for that game is infectious. I'll just settle for Souls games. Those and Dota give me the same ongoing zeitgeist feel from their respective enthusiastic communities, but I know it's kind of an apples and oranges comparison in terms of the games themselves.
I don't think it's quite patience that's required... but persistence. And it takes less time than some might think, depending on how fast a learner you are.

Granted you have to accept that you'll most likely always be terrible. I'm trash, brad is trash, everyone is trash.

Cronen

The GB topic that had the PAX codes seems to have been deleted. I'm guessing that the codes have since expired, but on the off chance, does anybody know what they are?

Thanks.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So I've pretty much quit GB since Ryan died but checked in every once in a while. Did I miss some giant epiphany these guys had about the Souls games. They have a ton of coverage on it now and it's weirding me out. What finally flipped the switch for them?

skynidas

Banned
So I've pretty much quit GB since Ryan died but checked in every once in a while. Did I miss some giant epiphany these guys had about the Souls games. They have a ton of coverage on it now and it's weirding me out. What finally flipped the switch for them?

Vinny decided to beat the game and they made a feature out it, it was really popular, gave them a big spike on subscribers. Decided to do the same thing with Brad and Demons Souls.

Vinny's was great, and Brad 's have been going pretty good too.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Persona 4 should have told them enough about their user base. It's not all cod and gta people. Those games aren't flukes lol.. sucks it took them that long to realize.

jmood88

Persona 4 should have told them enough about their user base. It's not all cod and gta people. Those games aren't flukes lol.. sucks it took them that long to realize.

It looks like you're talking about a completely different website. Since when do they only cover call of duty or gta-type games?

Zaph

I don't think it's them 'realising' anything about their user base at all but instead, like most other groups of friends, a chain reaction set off by one of their experiences.

I'm an expert

It looks like you're talking about a completely different website. Since when do they only cover call of duty or gta-type games?

I only quit recently lol, otherwise I've consumed almost every bit of media they put out since day one. They mentioned numerous times over the years that they didn't cover certain games and did cover certain games because their user base had pretty obvious tastes. I'm not saying they were a dudebro catering site, but they always had to appease that audience because that's where the hits were.

Kerned

Banned
I only quit recently lol, otherwise I've consumed almost every bit of media they put out since day one. They mentioned numerous times over the years that they didn't cover certain games and did cover certain games because their user base had pretty obvious tastes. I'm not saying they were a dudebro catering site, but they always had to appease that audience because that's where the hits were.

Hm. It still sounds like you are talking about a completely different website here. I don't think they have ever said that they choose what games to cover based on the tastes of their user base. What has been repeatedly said over the years is that they cover games that they are interested in playing, and that's why certain genres are underrepresented. I think it's pretty well known that they don't plan coverage to appeal to some nebulous demographic.

Yeah, all that dudebro Windjammers and DCS: A-10C Warthog and Phantasmagoria and Deadly Premonition and Chrono Trigger and Star Trek Online and Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and The Matrix Online and Spelunky video coverage.

I'm an expert

Fuck it lol I won't even bother. I can't exactly scrub 5 years of podcasts/videos to get the quotes I want. Still, them jumping on the Souls train this late in the game still cracks me up.

Loving this new conspiracy theory that they are doing souls games strictly for the views

There's a reason I posted in this thread after this long. It's pretty obvious why all of a sudden this site that shunned Souls is dedicating hour long sit down talks about it. They realized this ain't some niche game anymore.

I'm an expert

I like that generating content their fanbase is interested in has somehow been reduced to "THEY'RE JUST DOIN IT FOR THE VIEWS".

Did their fanbase only just get interested in a 3 year old game? Considering I was a member of that fanbase, the answer is no. But we were the minority..

Fuck it lol I won't even bother. I can't exactly scrub 5 years of podcasts/videos to get the quotes I want. Still, them jumping on the Souls train this late in the game still cracks me up.

There's a reason I posted in this thread after this long. It's pretty obvious why all of a sudden this site that shunned Souls is dedicating hour long sit down talks about it. They realized this ain't some niche game anymore.

Well, of course they would want views, that is the whole point of the website. But being honest: Vinny was always interested in Dark/Demon Souls, Brad tried in his charity stream and probably warmed to the game and Volgarr probably made him more comfortable with difficult but fair hack and slash games. Vinny enthusiasm, Brad not wanting to play only DOTA2 for the rest of his life and his promise of doing something with the souls games after the charity reached certain goal, probably made them go for Dark Souls.

Good for them and for the games.

Did their fanbase only just get interested in a 3 year old game? Considering I was a member of that fanbase, the answer is no. But we were the minority..

HAHAHA What? Even Jeff was surprised when Loading your last souls was their top suscriptor feature and commented about being about an old game. Also, do you remember this thread when Ryan played Dark Souls or when Vinny mentioned Dark Souls in the podcast?

Just renewed my premium subscription anyway so I'm all ready for another year of content.

One kind of complaint I have about GB is that they sometimes seem to get taken over by certain games/content. Like when Brad got into Dota or now the Dark/Demon Souls stuff. Its still good content and all but I would just like a bit more variety.

Still though, too much of one thing from the GB guys is still better than any other site out there I guess.

megalowho

For what it's worth, the site has never been like that. They cover what they want to cover and do premium content of games they feel like playing - when fans do bug them to cover something popular they usually end up doing the opposite. A few of them caught the Souls bug late (not Jeff, the shunner you speak of) but conspiracy theories are fun, I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom