• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell is a pinball?

black_knight_2000_6.jpg

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl

You can't even imagine yourself in that position? You know, empathy?

Sure, but if he added the intro music from Battle of Olympus into the podcast, who would even know what it was? What percentage of listeners do you think know what black knight 2000 is? Let alone care? Let alone recognize the specific sound effect?

I just think it's jarring to constantly interrupt a news story with sound effects that may spark feelings of nostalgia in 3% of the listeners. It's obnoxious, which is very much unlike Vinny.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Sure, but if he added the intro music from Battle of Olympus into the podcast, who would even know what it was? What percentage of listeners do you think know what black knight 2000 is? Let alone care? Let alone recognize the specific sound effect?

I just think it's jarring to constantly interrupt a news story with sound effects that may spark feelings of nostalgia in 3% of the listeners. It's obnoxious, which is very much unlike Vinny.

Why does anyone or everyone have to recognize it?

Why does anyone or everyone have to recognize it?

I was responding to this, I believe he/she was referencing nostalgia for the game.

omg gtfo, dude. i feel like an asshole assailing your opinion, but just get the fuck out.

you telling me you don't feel better as a human being for hearing that Black Knight 2000 music? you'd be wrong and you'd be lying.

You can't even imagine yourself in that position? You know, empathy?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Loved the musical interjections. It was hilarious.

Sure, but if he added the intro music from Battle of Olympus into the podcast, who would even know what it was?

It's almost as though he never referenced Battle of Olympus.

What percentage of listeners do you think know what black knight 2000 is? Let alone care? Let alone recognize the specific sound effect?.

If only he played a clip of the games music so that they could at least have some comprehension of what he was talking about!

Chuck

Still without luck
So I just saw on twitter that Rich Gallup and Ben Coello do a dad podcast now. I wonder how many people that post on here even know who Ben or Rich are, but seeing Rich back to hosting makes me dream of how cool it would be if he worked for Giant Bomb, especially now. That'll probably never happen though :/

Anyway, check it out here. They talk about games and stuff too.

Good on you Patrick for that Dark Souls article. I might suggest you do another play through as you missed the more substantial ending, a decent down into an area that does a lot for world building and the fate of a few NPCs Sigmeyer/Solair

thisbeard

Hey GAF, i'm a GB suscriber and I just tried to watch some video content with the new video streamer but I couldn't load a single one. Any ideas? Does not seem like anyone else is having any issues. I'm using Safari on an old mac book. Never had problems before. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

I got into it because I really like narratives and storytelling. Being able to tell and craft a story using video and audio is very powerful and intoxicating. I’m actually going to be looking to expand our team in the near future so keep an eye out.

From Vinny's Tumblr.

I guess CBSi finally agreed to let them add on more people. IT'S HAPPENING

Zoggy

this is the only real way to play souls games

no tanking

no magic

no soul leveling

wearing blindfolds

and holding the controller upside down.

everybody else cheesed the game as far as i'm concerned. you're playing it the wrong and you should feel bad for cheesing.

Brashnir

Have you ever watched Vinny play a game? I'd say obnoxious describes his style pretty well. He constantly pokes at the edges of everything until something breaks or does something funny.

The musical interludes are just the podcast equivalent of Vinny trolling the shit out of every game he plays.

this is the only real way to play souls games

no tanking

no magic

no soul leveling

wearing blindfolds

and holding the controller upside down.

everybody else cheesed the game as far as i'm concerned. you're playing it the wrong and you should feel bad for cheesing.

And for God's sake, never choose your equipment by figuring out which stuff you've picked up works the best for your playstyle. Everything must conform to the ill-planned meta-template that you built in your head but has nothing to do with the reality of the game itself.

Hey GAF, i'm a GB suscriber and I just tried to watch some video content with the new video streamer but I couldn't load a single one. Any ideas? Does not seem like anyone else is having any issues. I'm using Safari on an old mac book. Never had problems before. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

Do all the video options (streaming/html5/progressive) not work at all? What version of OSX are you running? Maybe you need to update Flash or something. Or try using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The new streaming solution works 1000x better for me than Twitch did, no pauses, no quality spikes, just smooth video. Thank you GB top men.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Good on you Patrick for that Dark Souls article. I might suggest you do another play through as you missed the more substantial ending, a decent down into an area that does a lot for world building and the fate of a few NPCs Sigmeyer/Solair
He played on PC, he could just load up some old save games to see that stuff. Assuming he had the save game backup turned on.

Zoggy

delete your cookies and then try again

alex suggested that and it worked for most of us

Myomoto

S5u7MLI.jpg

Hopefully they hire some behind the scenes crew to let the main team have more time in front of camera.

I continue to think it would be very hard to add to the main team - even the most competent person in the world might not fit.

Also, they can always try the "slow burn" method to add someone to the main team - start them behind camera and work their way in. The GB community seem to be more accepting of people when they debut that way.

This is start to remind me of wrestling...

mattp

For those having performance issues w/ Giant Bomb videos. If your ISP is Verizon it may be because of this. It appears that Verizon is throttling Amazon's AWS service, because of their ongoing beef with Netflix. Giant Bomb is also hosted in AWS.

http://davesblog.com/blog/2014/02/0...utrality-victory-to-wage-war-against-netflix/

yup, i posted this yesterday too
i have had a fucking horrible time trying to watch giantbomb videos at night the past couple weeks
i really dont think its a coincidence

NIN90

So Jeff hates DKC. How can one man have such terrible video game taste but yet be so magnificient?

EDIT: I mean DKC games in general. Everyone knows DKC 2 is the pinnacle of 2D platformers.

popo

Adding a new editor is always going to be a risk but that was true of Patrick and (most) warmed up to him eventually - even if the majority only expressed it when he was leaving town :)

Rorie has a job but he does have a background in writing, might be cool to promote him and hire some young kid to handle the support emails etc.

For those having performance issues w/ Giant Bomb videos. If your ISP is Verizon it may be because of this. It appears that Verizon is throttling Amazon's AWS service, because of their ongoing beef with Netflix. Giant Bomb is also hosted in AWS.

http://davesblog.com/blog/2014/02/0...utrality-victory-to-wage-war-against-netflix/
Begun the internet wars have. Thanks net neutrality.
So Jeff hates DKC. How can one man have such terrible video game taste but yet be so magnificient?
I always thought DKC wasn't that great especially as a kid. It's just not that fun to me. I play a lot of platformers and every once and a while I'll return to them and they still never ever impress me in any fashion.

popo

I paid a fortune for that game as it game bundled with the RAM pack. Played it for about an hour. Stupid baby game {sic} :)

EDIT : No wait - DKC was snes - what am I thinking of? the n64 game?

NIN90

DKC games are my favorite 2D platfomers while 2D Mario games bore me to tears. Funny how that goes.

Well, it's not that surprising really since Mario games are really boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom