• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
so, polygon is doing QLs now, and deleted a bunch of comments pointing out that it's the same format.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/6/5385832/loadout-overview-video

they just forgot the part where you need people with likable personalities to make them worth watching.
Polygon is trying everything they can, but they just don't produce any good videos, except for reviews.

But the format itself is just the normal thing to do now, Rev3 does the same thing and they actually have some cool people.

FluxWaveZ

I like the juxtaposition between Vinny and Drew's DayZ lives. On one side, Drew has found military companions who have gifted him a bunch of gear. On the other side, Vinny is dying, running around without a shirt on after another dude and in a field, alone.

Haunted

Giantbomb didn't invent Let's Plays you guys.

That said, they were the first gaming journalist/enthusiast site to make a regular feature out of it.

so, polygon is doing QLs now, and deleted a bunch of comments pointing out that it's the same format.

they just forgot the part where you need people with likable personalities to make them worth watching.

Justin and Griffin McElroy are hilarious on My Brother My Brother and Me. I could see those two being decent in a quick-looky context. But that video doesn't give me much hope.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
what just happened

welp that was 30 minutes of progress lost.

hzW8DA8.gif

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I don't think they were deleting comments because of mentioning they were like Quick Looks, as my comment wasn't deleted, and it was even responded to by Griffin.

Edit: Welp. It's deleted~

Griffin McElroy said:
Me said:
Not that theres anything wrong with it, because it is a fantastic format for content, but these are basically going to be just Quick Looks like at Giant Bomb yeah?

If that’s the case, it’s probably worth looking back at old Quick Looks and learning from their early missteps.

You say “I’m going to be making a lot more of these” but I hope they’re not often done solo.

Watching early quick looks when they were just one person there was a real sense of emptiness and lifelessness to it. Like this episode, I’ve always found it most entertaining when you have someone to bounce things off of to keep things active and involved and funny.

Glad to see the quick look formula spread, and stoked to see you taking part in it. You’re a funny ass dude, always happy to hear more from you and Justin.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree — the best kinds of Let’s Play videos like that always have more than one person, which is always going to be the case with these.

Megasoum

Banned
I just watched the JazzPunk quicklook. The game looks amazing but I dunno, I feel like it's the kind of game I wouldn't have much fun playing myself. I wish I could watch Vinny and Brad play through the whole thing.

Kerned

Banned
I don't think they were deleting comments because of mentioning they were like Quick Looks, as my comment wasn't deleted, and it was even responded to by Griffin.

Why would they delete a comment like that? Don't take this the wrong way, but you practically apologize for pointing out the similarity to quick looks and then go on to praise the McElroy brothers (who are not experts).

LiK

Polygon is deleting any references to Giant Bomb QLs? That is pretty odd and REALLY lame if true. Other sites have openly stated they were influenced by the GB QLs. To ignore that fact is pretty stupid.

Kerned

Banned
Yeah, sorry for assuming. GAF's hatred of Polygon seems a little mean-spirited sometimes, but this is fucked.

It can sometimes seem a little harsh, but it's not unwarranted. This sort of behavior is the rule for them, not the exception. They have been aggressively censoring their comments basically from day one.

LiK

Though this does raise a good question. Is giantbomb the first site to do the quick look style coverage regularly?

yes, as far as i can remember. no other major gaming sites were doing it in the format that they were doing it. correct me if i'm wrong but i did regularly visit many gaming sites and i don't remember anyone doing it like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom